Paulding.com

I wonder if anyone still gets notifications. This place seemed wild in the day. Now look at social media and the crazy it is now.

I joined in 2007 seems like not that long ago. 

I remember how much I loved it in the beginning, the news, people having fun.

Then I saw the ugly part. I wondered back then why people would choose ugly when they could choose fun and lifting others up. 

I also discovered how contagious that behavior is.

I recognize the truth of some of the sayings I grew up with from my time on P.com.

I don't think that that law, order and civility came about easily. I think it was hard won and in some circumstances painful.

Maybe a generation or 2 that only knew that civility no longer treasured it. We certainly have less and less appreciation for rules that gave it to us and sought to help us keep it if we desired. Rules and laws are not the same things. Rules are a choice that come with consequences often  devised by those that make the rules. Then there are rules with consequences that are almost impossible to avoid because of human nature.

My grandmother said times change but people do not. I now understand the laws of human nature. Much of it I saw play out on this site.

I was taught to always be polite, of course that is how it is in the south. A lot of people that participated here were taught the same. This is where I begin to learn about the nature of justification, How people always justify the negative and find little justification for goodness and positivity. 

Good fences make good neighbors

What could have been done differently, I am not sure. How do you contain human nature within boundaries, how do you enforce those boundaries yet leave enough room for individualism. I think politeness goes a long way. Politeness is the giving of respect and kindness first, not making people earn it. It is walking in someone's shoes. Can you have rules that force politeness. I see other social media sites trying. The people that test that conviction often leave on their own accord. I find they are looking for conflict or are not willing to accept others differences without creating conflict. I think rules that enforce politeness may have merit. We will see how it works out.

Honesty is the best policy

A good decision was never made based on a lie

How can it be that we have generations of people that have never seen a retraction in a newspaper. A retraction is when a news source has gotten a fact wrong many times after researching and validating the details and facts of a story. Why would they print a retraction after all they are the gatekeepers of the news and information.

The answer is simple printing lies as facts would be the end of a news agency.

Why, there was a time when Americans cherished their democracy above all things. They realized you could not have a true democracy without a gate keeper of the truth. The gatekeeper was the American people. The people that would turn on a news source caught lying.

We live in a time when there is no standard of truth. Where there is no journalism and truth there are only self serving people of power.

There are no retractions on the internet, only a form of tribalism where people seek what they like or want and follow it with almost religous fervor.

One has to ask oneself when bombastic delivery of half truths and out right lies became preferable to being given a set of facts with little or no inflection as to influence a person to agree with the reporters opinion on the report.

When did reality become blurred along with the consequences. When did memories become as long as the next big story. There is no continuum where we see an action then trace the consequences back to it whether it be 6 minutes ago, six weeks, six years or sixty years.

When did we stop having our own set of standards and choosing leadership to conform to them rather than lowering our standards and expectations to those that want to lead us, to those we hand the power over our lives to. Are we a bunch of children crying for shiny things and we don't care how we get them or the cost.

What happened to p.cpm. It brought the community together, It provided local news. It was an awesome source of advertising for small business. There are little or no effective ways for small business to advertise. There are no sources of local news. We are back to geography dictating the people we associate with. How could it be gone. Was it peer pressure, conformist, non-conformist. maybe politicians that operate best in the dark. Tribalism became the rule of the day. A fight for control rather than a celebration of true freedom. I can only assume the need to be controlled is a strong one the freedom that only goes as far as deciding who or what you want to have control of. Nobody wanted politeness and honesty enforced. Politeness is crucial because it is integral to civil discussion. Insults are how discussion is turned into arguments. Arguments are uncivil by nature and create grudges. Lies are always wrong because a good decision has never been made based on a lie. 

So indeed it was tribalism, insults and lies that destroyed this site. The same things are destroying our communities, cities, states and eventually our nation.

A wise person once said to me that for society to succeed individuals must be committed to following the rules. Rules of politeness and honesty, not just when it is easy or it suits someone's purpose but all the time.

It is sad to see the post where people have returned most looking for honest news about the community. People asking what is up, where can we go, what can we do. Some just wanting to socialize and laugh. It was all destroyed over a power struggle, tribalism. The destruction of something because it could not be fully controlled by one tribe or another. All the good things were destroyed, who wants to control a pile of crap because that is exactly what it came down to. Now the members of the tribes attack one another, they fight one another, they insult each other. One leader after another more dishonest ,nasty and controlling than the last. As long as the peers are going along it does not matter how immoral or distasteful everyone else is accepting and going along. How many times does a lie have to be repeated until it becomes the truth.