Paulding.com

Analysis of questions the SCOTUS had on gay marriage

Bloomberg Business

Supremes: What the Justices Had to Say on Gay Marriage
Published on Apr 28, 2015
Bloomberg’s Greg Stohr discusses arguments at the Supreme Court in a historic case that could legalize gay weddings nationwide on “With All Due Respect.”

Click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS click for RECENT TOPICS

I'm guessing Roberts and Kennedy will be yes votes. I don't know why we don't do things like Europe and have the government sanction the union and then those who wish to have the blessing of the church have a separate ceremony. That way, gays are able to marry, and churches which don't subscribe to same are out of the loop.

• Like 1

I'm guessing Roberts and Kennedy will be yes votes. I don't know why we don't do things like Europe and have the government sanction the union and then those who wish to have the blessing of the church have a separate ceremony. That way, gays are able to marry, and churches which don't subscribe to same are out of the loop.

I think Roberts will likely vote against the change but I agree with you, I am perplexed that there is a tie between the secular government efforts and the spiritual. Indeed, the idea that church and state are separate is supposed to be the reality here.

That the state can't politically differ from the church (churches) on this or any number of issues is hard for me to grasp.

I suppose the answer is that churches are naturally exclusionary social institutions/communities whereas the whole truth of government is that it is for everyone whether we like it or not.

pubby