Paulding.com

Dallas, GA—Mrs. Helen English Nelson, age 102, of Dallas, Georgia, a former long-time resident of High Point, passed away on Friday, November 1, 2013, near her family and close to her caring nephew and his wife, Jack and Nancy Waldrep.

Mrs. Nelson was born on September 1, 1911, in Anderson, South Carolina, daughter of the late Floyd English and Eva Cartee English. In addition to her parents, she was preceded in death by her husband, Francis B. Nelson, to whom she was married on June 4, 1940, and by four brothers Tillman English, Dorsey English, Dr. Carl English, and Lee English. She is survived by two brothers, Millard English and Marvin English; a sister, Juanita Waldrep; nephews, Jack and Nancy Waldrep of Dallas, GA, Marvin and Sharon Waldrep of Smyrna, GA, David and Margaret Waldrep of Marietta, GA, Brent and Helen Sheppard of Morganton, NC, and other nieces and nephews.

In 1946 Helen, along with her husband, Francis, founded Nelson Florist & Decorators, on Main Street in High Point. For many years they provided flowers for the High Point Furniture Market, weddings, funerals, the Debutante Ball, and to those who just needed to “Say It With Flowers”. As members of the First United Methodist Church, each Sunday for many years the Nelsons quietly donated flowers to the Glory of God. They also lovingly supported and helped raise many young students who worked in the florist and led them to success in life. Helen was a natural piano player who played professionally in her early years, and at age 102, played the piano at her own birthday party. Helen was a member of the Altrusa Club.

The family will receive friends in Hiram, GA at the Clark Funeral Home on Sunday, November 3 from 3:00 PM until 7:00 PM with a prayer service at 5:00 PM. The family will receive friends in High Point, NC at Cumby Family Funeral Service on Wednesday, November 6 from 10:00 AM until 1:30 PM with graveside services at 2:00 PM at the Guilford Memorial Park.

While i didn't know Mrs. Nelson or to my knowledge any of her family.

I have to say that I wish I had.

She certainly sounds like she was a wonderful lady and anyone who plays the piano at their own 102 birthday has to be someone that was a joy to know.

A belated Happy 102 Birthday to Mrs. Nelson and my sympathies are with her family during this time of loss.