Paulding.com

Man who inspired local recovery ministry dead at 41

Christopher Anthony English, 41, entered into rest on Saturday, June 29, 2013.

chrisenglishnatematthews.JPG

Chris was born on August 31, 1971 in New Orleans, Louisiana to the late Dennis English and Neda Keenum and was employed with Bombardier Aerospace. He was a member of The Well - A United Methodist Church Congregation where he was a Launch Team Leader and was involved in peer support with the Methodist Children's Home. Chris enjoyed carpentry, playing basketball and was an avid LSU and New Orleans Saints fan.

His memory will forever be treasured by his loving wife, Stephanie English of Warner Robins; children, Christopher Harris of New Orleans, Louisiana, Lucas English of Warner Robins, and an expectant child; siblings, Danah Stanley, Daniel Stanley, Rocky Keenum, New Orleans, Louisiana and Jason English and Kaylan English, both of Atlanta, Georgia; parents-in-law, Arthur and Mary Jo Orta; sisters-in-law, Trisha Orta and Amanda Guillot, and brothers-in-law, Andy and Richard Orta and Jesse Glossup; and several loving nieces and nephews.

Visitation will be Wednesday, July 3, 2013 from 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at McCullough Funeral Home in Warner-Robbins, GA. Funeral Services will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, July 5, 2013 at The Well – A United Methodist Congregation (formerly Doles United Methodist Church) in Macon with interment following in Parkway Memorial Gardens. In lieu of flowers, the family respectfully suggests that donations be made to Dallas Therapy Service, P.O. Box 232, Dallas, GA 31032 or to The Well – A United Methodist Congregation, 6258 Thomaston Road, Macon, GA 31220.

Note: Chris English was the main charter in the book After The Storm by Paulding Resident Ann Pennebaker, who heads Dallas Therapy Services and is engaged in helping drug dependent people recover.

English was given the name "Nate Matthews" in the book and the story was an inspirational one of recovery from the depths of dependence. English visited often in Paulding and other parts of Georgia as part of the Ms. Pennebaker's recovery program. George Pennebaker, "English aided greatly in our recovery ministry."

English left a 10 month old son and has a baby due in December. He died Saturday night of cancer. Ms. Pennebaker is delivering the eulogy at the funeral on July 5th and George is an honorary pall bearer.

I had the honor of meeting Chris on two-three different occasions. Our church hosted an informational seminar on addiction (open to anyone) and he came as a guest speaker telling his miraculous story.

Ann and George have started a recovery group that meets on Wednesday evenings at 5:30 pm at Dallas First Methodist Church (chrisitian based recovery, all invited) and this lead to a group gathering on Saturday night, once a month, called F.A.I.T.H (families and individulas in therapeutic healing) where everyone gathers and eats, then plays games and socialize. Chris and his wife came to the first one and they were just two of the most wonderful people I have had the pleasure of meeting.

Chris' story, After the Storm by Ann Pennebaker, will live on forever and hopefully will be the inspiration for many an addict to start their road to recovery.

• Like 1

That really is a beautiful story. Thanks for posting, Pubby. My condolences to the family.

I have a special place in my heart for recovering addicts. Very. Special. Place. :wub:

Edited by mei lan

I have a special place in my heart for recovering addicts. Very. Special. Place.

Sounds like you know someone in recovery. Please let them know to come to our Wednesday evening groups, they are so informative and healing. The F.A.I.T.H group holds their Saturday night gathering once a month, we have only had 3 so far, but we are hoping to have them every Saturday night as the group grows. We have had about 50 people come so far but would like more. So if you know ANYONE that is looking for a group that will make them feel welcome please have them p.m. me and I will give you information.

Christopher Anthony English, 41, entered into rest on Saturday, June 29, 2013.

post-2-0-00152400-1372777496_thumb.jpg

Chris was born on August 31, 1971 in New Orleans, Louisiana to the late Dennis English and Neda Keenum and was employed with Bombardier Aerospace. He was a member of The Well - A United Methodist Church Congregation where he was a Launch Team Leader and was involved in peer support with the Methodist Children's Home. Chris enjoyed carpentry, playing basketball and was an avid LSU and New Orleans Saints fan.

His memory will forever be treasured by his loving wife, Stephanie English of Warner Robins; children, Christopher Harris of New Orleans, Louisiana, Lucas English of Warner Robins, and an expectant child; siblings, Danah Stanley, Daniel Stanley, Rocky Keenum, New Orleans, Louisiana and Jason English and Kaylan English, both of Atlanta, Georgia; parents-in-law, Arthur and Mary Jo Orta; sisters-in-law, Trisha Orta and Amanda Guillot, and brothers-in-law, Andy and Richard Orta and Jesse Glossup; and several loving nieces and nephews.

Visitation will be Wednesday, July 3, 2013 from 6:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at McCullough Funeral Home in Warner-Robbins, GA. Funeral Services will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, July 5, 2013 at The Well – A United Methodist Congregation (formerly Doles United Methodist Church) in Macon with interment following in Parkway Memorial Gardens. In lieu of flowers, the family respectfully suggests that donations be made to Dallas Therapy Service, P.O. Box 232, Dallas, GA 31032 or to The Well – A United Methodist Congregation, 6258 Thomaston Road, Macon, GA 31220.

Note: Chris English was the main charter in the book After The Storm by Paulding Resident Ann Pennebaker, who heads Dallas Therapy Services and is engaged in helping drug dependent people recover.

English was given the name "Nate Matthews" in the book and the story was an inspirational one of recovery from the depths of dependence. English visited often in Paulding and other parts of Georgia as part of the Ms. Pennebaker's recovery program. George Pennebaker, "English aided greatly in our recovery ministry."

English left a 10 month old son and has a baby due in December. He died Saturday night of cancer. Ms. Pennebaker is delivering the eulogy at the funeral on July 5th and George is an honorary pall bearer.

Pubby, thanks for sharing that. I can only imagine how many emotions his wife must be feeling. I pray that she has support from others and her beliefs will comfort her in many ways.

Is the book you mentioned available in print? I'd like to read it. I noticed amazon.com has it in kindle:

http://www.amazon.com/After-The-Storm-ebook/dp/B00A6PY8AW/ref=sr_1_30?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1372881445&sr=1-30&keywords=after+the+storm

I have a special place in my heart for recovering addicts. Very. Special. Place.

Sounds like you know someone in recovery. Please let them know to come to our Wednesday evening groups, they are so informative and healing. The F.A.I.T.H group holds their Saturday night gathering once a month, we have only had 3 so far, but we are hoping to have them every Saturday night as the group grows. We have had about 50 people come so far but would like more. So if you know ANYONE that is looking for a group that will make them feel welcome please have them p.m. me and I will give you information.

Oh, indeed I do. Pretty sure the one who lives here knows about it. The others live out of town.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the honor of meeting Chris on two-three different occasions. Our church hosted an informational seminar on addiction (open to anyone) and he came as a guest speaker telling his miraculous story.

Ann and George have started a recovery group that meets on Wednesday evenings at 5:30 pm at Dallas First Methodist Church (chrisitian based recovery, all invited) and this lead to a group gathering on Saturday night, once a month, called F.A.I.T.H (families and individulas in therapeutic healing) where everyone gathers and eats, then plays games and socialize. Chris and his wife came to the first one and they were just two of the most wonderful people I have had the pleasure of meeting.

Chris' story, After the Storm by Ann Pennebaker, will live on forever and hopefully will be the inspiration for many an addict to start their road to recovery.

What is available for friends and family? I noticed you mentioned therapeutic healing.

Ann and George have started a recovery group that meets on Wednesday evenings at 5:30 pm at Dallas First Methodist Church (chrisitian based recovery, all invited) ...

Who comes to the Wednesday evening meetings? Is it just for folks who struggle with drugs, alcohol, prescription drugs, etc.?

Does it use 12 steps or something else?

Is how the program works included in the book, After the Storm By Ann Pennebaker? Is the book available in printed form or only as an e book?