Paulding.com

Don't take my cds away, man!

I loved vinyl records, still have some but no record player but can't give them up. When I retire, I will get another one. 8 tracks...those you can keep. Cassette tapes, still have some but finally have given most up and would never pick up another one but sometimes is hard because I miss them but cds, really? going away? really? Nope, can't make me stick something in my ears and I don't want to play something through my computer. I will keep my cds any day. Who is your favorite artist?

Today is Eric Clapton's birthday so we are celebrating him today and CDs and music books are 20% off. My favorite song of his is Layla? How bout you?

Oh and by the way, we have a great selection of NPR music in. We are getting their monthly selections which we change out and are limited to 4 of each so don't miss your pick! This month we have an amazing selection of Steve Martin and the Steep Water Rangers, Belle and Sebastian, Carole King and James Taylor, Fitz and the Tantrums, Alex Murdock and Bruce Cochran. I hope we will see your faces on this cool and drippy day!

ailogo.gif

Autumn 1998 (6.3)

Page 39

Crazy About "Layla"

Eric Clapton Song Inspired by Nizami,

12th century Azerbaijani Poet

by Jean Patterson

The Legend of Leyli and Majnun by the French Ambassador to Azerbaijan, Jean-Pierre Guinhut

Azerbaijani composers like Gara Garayev and Uzeyir Hajibeyov were not the only musicians to be inspired by the legend of "Leyli and Majnun." British rock guitarist Eric Clapton was so moved by the legend that he used it to write one of rock music's most beautiful love songs, "Layla." Here's the story behind the song as told in "Clapton!" an Eric Clapton biography written by Ray Coleman, published by Warner Books in New York (1985).

63_094.jpgtransparent.gifIn 1969, Clapton fell in love with Pattie Boyd, the wife of one of his best friends, Beatles' George Harrison. At about the same time, one of Clapton's friends gave him a copy of "The Story of Layla and Majnun" as written by Azerbaijani poet Nizami. The book moved Clapton profoundly as it was the tale of a young man who fell hopelessly in love with a beautiful, unavailable woman and who went crazy because he couldn't marry her. Clapton saw the correlation with his own life.

With the help of percussionist Jim Gordon, Clapton wrote a song based on his reaction to the story and called it "Layla." He hoped its message would convince Boyd to leave her husband for him. "Layla" was first recorded in 1970 by Derek & the Dominoes, Clapton's band at the time and was featured on the album "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs." Another title on the album, "I Am Yours," was also inspired by the same 12th century epic poem by Nizami.

When the album came out, Clapton played the music for Boyd, gave her a copy of the book, and declared his love for her. They had a brief affair, but she broke it off and refused to leave her husband. But due to Clapton's persistence, he eventually did succeed in marrying her several years later. The marriage ended unhappily in divorce in 1988. Even though the romance didn't last, Eric Clapton's song "Layla" has maintained its popularity and is considered by some to be one of rock music's definitive love songs.

Leyla

by Eric Clapton and Jim Gordon

Based on Nizami's 12th century epic poem, "Leyli and Majnun"

What'll you do when you get lonely

And no one's waiting by your side?

You've been running and hiding much too long.

You know it's just your foolish pride.

Chorus:

Layla, got me on my knees,

Layla, Begging, darling please, Layla,

Darling, won't you ease my worried mind?

I tried to give you consolation

When your old man had let you down.

Like a fool, I fell in love with you,

Turned my whole world upside down.

Let's make the best of the situation

Before I finally go insane.

Please don't say we'll never find a way

And tell me all my love's in vain

I Am Yours

i remember going to my Granny's house and getting into her records. she had Elvis & Chuck Berry :ninja: I loved just looking through all the album covers, some of those things were like books. I sure do wish I had her records to play for the kids, i'm not sure if my two youngest have ever seen an actual record before :(

i remember going to my Granny's house and getting into her records. she had Elvis & Chuck Berry :ninja: I loved just looking through all the album covers, some of those things were like books. I sure do wish I had her records to play for the kids, i'm not sure if my two youngest have ever seen an actual record before :(

Actually, Vinyl is SO coming back in style and new music is actually coming back out on vinyl. Record Players also are coming back in style and are not that pricey, so you may want to find one and play your granny's records.

I do cringe here because I am feeling very Granny like that I have so many albums that are 30 plus years old that I bought new.wacko.gif