Paulding.com

ANOTHER FREE BIT OF ADVICE FROM YOUR

I have noticed that a lot of people are blowing unwarranted money on "Fix A Flat" or "Slime" to seal the tires on their riding mowers. Folks...let me tell you a little secret....

90+% of the time, the tires are GOOD. What happens is this....when the pressure drops too low and the tire has finally come off the "bead" most people will just blow them back up, only to have them keep leaking. There is a fail-safe solution to this (although it requires a limited amount of work). When the tire gets so low that is breaks away from the rim (bead comes off) do this-

REMOVE THE WHEEL FROM THE MACHINE. Front tires are easy to remove, just pull out the cotter pin, and off it comes. Then while the tire is still off the bead of the rim, WASH the tire and wheel with soapy water....scrub out all the junk, and get it clean. Then WHILE IT'S STILL WET AND HALF-WAY SOAPY (don't wash all the soap off) then re-inflate. I have done this for years, and my tires never leak air, except over the winter, they will lose a little pressure, but they all lose the pressure evenly, meaning that all of them are still not leaking.

No amount of tire sealant will cure a tire that has grass and debris around the rim where the bead of the tire goes, so you're just wasting your money.

Thank you all, and God Bless!! :D

This has been a community oriented public service announcement.

• Like 1

I have noticed that a lot of people are blowing unwarranted money on "Fix A Flat" or "Slime" to seal the tires on their riding mowers. Folks...let me tell you a little secret....

90+% of the time, the tires are GOOD. What happens is this....when the pressure drops too low and the tire has finally come off the "bead" most people will just blow them back up, only to have them keep leaking. There is a fail-safe solution to this (although it requires a limited amount of work). When the tire gets so low that is breaks away from the rim (bead comes off) do this-

REMOVE THE WHEEL FROM THE MACHINE. Front tires are easy to remove, just pull out the cotter pin, and off it comes. Then while the tire is still off the bead of the rim, WASH the tire and wheel with soapy water....scrub out all the junk, and get it clean. Then WHILE IT'S STILL WET AND HALF-WAY SOAPY (don't wash all the soap off) then re-inflate. I have done this for years, and my tires never leak air, except over the winter, they will lose a little pressure, but they all lose the pressure evenly, meaning that all of them are still not leaking.

No amount of tire sealant will cure a tire that has grass and debris around the rim where the bead of the tire goes, so you're just wasting your money.

Thank you. I have a riding mower with that problem. It's less than a year old.

Thank you!

Glad to help. It tears me up inside to see people throw their money away for no reason, other than just not knowing a little inside info. The economy is in the crapper, so this is my way of trying to help you folks save some money and actually correct a minor problem for yourself. ;)