Paulding.com

BUSINESS CHANGE - 4-Stroke Engines Only

Folks, I am making a slight change in business by omitting any more work on 2-stroke engines (weed eaters, blowers, chainsaws, etc.) I will continue to take in any of these items that you may want to just throw away, and rebuild them for sale in my spare time. But the fact is that repairing 2-stroke engines is becoming harder and harder, as manufacturers are now using carburetors that are about 95% impossible to repair. The ones that are still capable of repairing require much more labor than anyone would want to pay for. Let's face it, today's designers of small 2-stroke engines strive every day to make their engines almost impossible to repair- which means YOU have to go out and buy another one. That's bad business for the consumer, while lining the pockets of the manufacturers (most ALL of them in China). Another mower repair man was kind enough to refer all of his 2-stroke work to me, and now I can understand why....there's no money in it. In fact, it often costs me more money than I can make, leaving me in a financial deficit. It's all too easy to spend almost 4 hours trying to fix a machine that was intended to never be fixed in the first place, then only making $40-50 for half a day's work.

So, I apologize for any inconveniences this may cause some of you, but at the same, this is sort of a community service to advise you that when you go out and purchase a new 2-stroke machine, you are spending your money on something that was built to be disposable. This does not necessarily apply to all machines. There are some very good models out there, that can be repaired, but they will run you a good 3-4 hundred dollars. If you go out and buy a cheap $100 weed eater, that's exactly what you're going to get....cheap and disposable. I have had customers bring me leaf blowers and weed eaters that did not work right out of the box, so be careful out there. You cannot simply bring them back and have them replaced. They have made things in such a way that a "guarantee" costs you more than you spent on the junk you paid for, by requiring you to box up the item and have it shipped to some far away place in order to get another one (which may or may not work, even then).

Bottom line- I HATE to see this kind of junk coming off the line, and people getting ripped off. So, I have made the decision to not even fool with them anymore. I STILL WELCOME ALL MOWERS AND ANYTHING WITH A BRIGGS AND STRATTON OR TECUMSEH ENGINE ON IT. Both products (although Tecumseh is no longer in business) are made in America, and can be worked on with terrific results.

If you are planning on buying a weed eater, blower, or something along those lines, you are welcome to call me and ask about what to look for. I don't want to slam any one manufacturer in this open forum, but I am always available if you have any questions. And as always, if you want to buy something that has some sort of reasonable value and guarantee with it, then I would advise buying a rebuilt machine from me. At least you'll know you're getting your money's worth, and I won't leave you hanging like you would be if you bought a new one.

Sorry for the lengthy thread, but many of you who know me and have done business with me in the past, also know that I am in the business of protecting my customers.

Thank you, and please call me if you have any mowers or similar items you would like to have tuned up or repaired. :)

Glenn

678-315-8794

Yep. I was amazed when I looked at the specs of my new blower a few years back to find that the engine was only rated to run for 50 hours lifetime.

Junk.

SG

I know...amazing that they do that. Imagine the folks that have a LOT of yard, and up-keep to go with it. You can log 50 hrs a lot sooner than you think. That's why I only resell the older units. They are better made, last longer, and don't carry as many problems with them. I say older, but actually I mean more expensive and better built models.