Paulding.com

Regarding NEW lawn mowers, Buyers BEWARE!

Just this past week, I have fixed 1 chainsaw that was BRAND NEW and went out after less than 10 mins. The fuel lines were barely fitted into the carburetor, and had come off. On top of that, after tearing the carburetor down, there were TWO gaskets that were installed the wrong way!!

And today, I had a Craftsman Rider come in for a tuneup and repair work. This was bought brand new also. The nuts that hold the carburetor on were about to fall off the studs....this left about a 1/8" gap between the carb and the air intake assembly (which means) dirt, dust, and debris were flowing directly into the carb and literally FILLED it up with crap. Also, the solenoid that holds the carburetor bowl on, was half way screwed off...only 1 turn and wham, it fell right off in my hands.

I have been repairing small engines since I was about 12 years old folks, and I have NEVER seen this kind of JUNK before....parts missing, parts not tightened down, and basically just the most shoddy crap straight from the store that I have ever seen in my whole life. If I learned anything at all this past season, it's that quality control does NOT exist anymore. And the technicians that come out to repair stuff that is still on warranty seem to know VERY LITTLE about what they are doing.......i.e., the Craftsman Rider I mentioned. The tech came out and tightened the flywheel, without ever noticing the carburetor was about to fall off. That's a VERY SERIOUS problem right there, because all that dirt that enters into the cylinder will scratch the walls, ruin the piston rings, and blow the engine in no time flat.

This is not about me trying to slam the manufacturers as much as it is a warning to YOU, the consumer. Something is very wrong with this picture, and people are getting screwed over big-time!!! Just consider this thread a public service to consumers who are spending their hard earned money on total JUNK. While it makes for good business for people like me, it sickens me to see this kind of thing happen, and people getting taken like this.

So, just keep this in mind- if you have a mower or other outdoor piece of equipment that is failing, and may be a few years old, it's probably in your best interest to have a professional overhaul it than to trash it and go out and buy a new piece of literal junk. An overhaul may cost a bit, but it still cheaper than buying a new machine that (excuse the phrase) was assembled by a bunch of drunken monkeys.

I'm sorry about the vent, but I am just LIVID about what is coming into my shop.....that companies can half-ass build something and sell it to good, honest, hard working people who have to rely on a decent machine. Just be cautious about what you buy.....that's all. And if you have any questions about anything before you buy it...I won't charge you ONE cent for advice. I am here if you have any questions about things like this, and I can arm you with some helpful tips, and things to check out before you buy something new. I HATE seeing people getting ripped off, I swear I do. And I am seeing a lot of it lately.

Thanks for your time, since I know this was a rather long thread, but DANG!!!! I can't believe this stuff! <_ it just chaps my butt>

I hear you Subby.

<rant>

Another issue I have is with the the mandatory $30-$50 assembly fee that a lot of places charge. You can't get around it because they assemble everything before you get the chance to buy it!!

The orange box was *bad* about this one, don't know now, I quit buying stuff from them because of it. :angry2:

I guess they are so afraid that you can't follow instructions that they let some guy who doesn't give a rats butt about it put the power machinery *you* will risk your life with together. He doesn't care, he's not going to be using it. Dang, I had them tell me I couldn't buy a *wheelbarrow* without the assembly fee!! Gimmie a break!!

Sorry, I CAN read directions and if I paid for it I want to know that it's put together right, which means I do it. I don't want crossthreaded bolts and who knows what else done to it that won't be covered under the warranty.

Arrrrggg

</rant>

Back to your regular scheduled programs citizens.

SG

I hear you Subby.

Another issue I have is with the the mandatory $30-$50 assembly fee that a lot of places charge. You can't get around it because they assemble everything before you get the chance to buy it!!

The orange box was *bad* about this one, don't know now, I quit buying stuff from them because of it. :angry2:

I guess they are so afraid that you can't follow instructions that they let some guy who doesn't give a rats butt about it put the power machinery *you* will risk your life with together. He doesn't care, he's not going to be using it. Dang, I had them tell me I couldn't buy a *wheelbarrow* without the assembly fee!! Gimmie a break!!

Sorry, I CAN read directions and if I paid for it I want to know that it's put together right, which means I do it. I don't want crossthreaded bolts and who knows what else done to it that won't be covered under the warranty.

Arrrrggg

Back to your regular scheduled programs citizens.

SG

Yep....it's not just mowers, it's reaching everywhere. A lot of companies have this sort of "non-extradition treaty" thing via global trading. Not only has it moved jobs off our shores, it's given a certain immunity to the "initial manufacturer" which resides here in the states, but only in name. Sorta like Harvey the Rabbit.

And people wonder what happened to American quality! Hell......we sold it off, do less work, become a middle-man, and build a wall of intangibility to keep those responsible completely absolved from any consequences.