Paulding.com

LaVerne Howard Farr, age 67, of Taylorsville, formally of Dallas, passed away on Sunday, August 17, 2008. He was born on November 29, 1940 in Batavia, New York. He was preceded in death by his father, Wilford G. Farr; mother, Elizabeth Foster and step-father, Norris J. Foster. Mr. Farr was a veteran of the United States Marine Corp, serving 4 years active duty and 2 years in the Reserves. He was retired from Lucent Technologies serving as a power crew supervisor for 39 years and retired Chief of Paulding County Volunteer Fire Department Station 3, New Hope with 25 years of service. He was employed by AFL Network Systems as a power crew supervisor. Mr. Farr was a member of New Hope First Baptist Church for 35 years where he served as Sunday School Superintendent, Deacon, Youth Director, Director of the Royal Ambassadors, several committees, and Sunday School Teacher for the young married and youth classes. He enjoyed fishing and piddling in his workshop.

Surviving are his wife of 45 years, Shirley A. Farr of Taylorsville; son and daughter-in-law, Randall & Amy Farr of Dallas; daughter and son-in-law, Cynthia & Joel Young of Dallas; brother, Patrick “Butch” Farr of Barnesville, GA; sisters Sandra Lis and Collette Foster of Barnesville, GA; grandchildren, Carly Elise Farr, Katie Elizabeth Young, Richard W. Hines, JR and Hayden Spencer Hines all of Dallas; several nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will be held on Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 11:00 a.m. from Clark Funeral Home with Rev. Durwood Perry, Rev. Don Voyles and Rev. Frank Crowe officiating. The interment will follow in Westview Cemetery. The family will receive friends on Monday, August 18, 2008 from 4:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at the funeral home. Clark Funeral Home is in charge of the arrangements. www.samclarkfuneralhome.com

My prayers go out to Shirley, Randy, Cynthia and the rest of this family. I knew them all back in the 80's when I attended New Hope First Baptist's Youth meetings. We had lots of fun and he was a wonderful man. I pray for peace and comfort for the days ahead.

Edited by stephie

LaVerne Farr was a great friend and a great inspiration to everyone he came into contact with.

Rather than say goodbye, I suppose it’s appropriate to say Thank You for the many countless hours spent trying to lead others to Jesus Christ.

To all the folks on paulding.com, please keep Shirley, Randy, Cynthia and the rest of the Farr family in prayer.

I am so going to miss this wonderful man. He would always greet me with a huge hug and smile every time I saw him and he was truly an inspiration to all who knew him. It never failed that each and every year he and Shirley sent every member of our family a birthday card. Many prayers and much love to Shirley, Randy and Cynthia and families. RIP Laverne - you will be missed and thank you so much for the wonderful Chriistian example you set for so many people.