Paulding.com

Major George Weldon Williams, Retired

Major George Weldon Williams, Retired, age 95, of Dallas, Georgia, passed away on Wednesday, March 20, 2013 at Wellstar Tranquility Hospice in Kennesaw.

George was born in Neese, GA on June 9, 1917 to loving parents, the late Mr. George Luther Williams and Mrs. Susie Vannatta Ash Williams. He was also preceded in death by his beloved wife Mrs. Twila Catherine Howard Williams who passed away in 2000; and three sisters Mrs. Mary Thornton, Mr. & Mrs. Holden (Myra) Hardman, and Mrs. Marcelene Reynolds.

Maj. Williams served 27 years in the United States Army. He was the former band leader at Fort McPherson. Upon leaving the military he was self-employed as an insurance broker for Byrd Insurance Co. He was a choir director at Dallas First United Methodist Church for many years and sang beautifully for funerals and special events. He helped found the Rotary Club and served as the first full time president. He was an instrumental member with the American Cancer Society. George was an actor and opera singer and loved big band music. He was an avid golfer, enjoyed bowling, and played baseball at North GA College and many other leagues.

Maj George Williams is survived by three sons and daughters in law Mr. & Mrs. George H. (Susan) Williams of Carrollton, GA, Mr. & Mrs. Robert (Elaine) Williams of Seattle, WA, and Mr. & Mrs. David (Wendy) Williams of Powder Springs, GA; one step daughter Mr. & Mrs. Robert (Twila) Grandchamp of Coral Gables, FL; two grandchildren Kimberly Williams of Powder Springs, GA, and Selena Williams of Seattle, WA; several nieces, nephews, and friends.

Funeral services for Maj. George Weldon Williams will be held at Dallas First United Methodist Church on Sunday, March 24, 2013 at 3:30 pm with Dr. Steve Schofield and Associate Pastor Chris Pavlovsky officiating. Music will include the selection “In the Garden” and Dr. Dan Bakos will accompany on the organ. Ken Thompson, David Walraven, David Austin, Ken Vinson, and Sam Dudding will serve as pallbearers. Interment will follow at Dallas Memory Gardens.

The family will receive friends at the funeral home on Saturday, March 23, 2013 from 5 – 8 pm and Sunday, March 24, 2013 from 9 am until we leave in procession at 3 pm.

Please join the family in honoring his life by visiting www.jeffeberhartfuneralhome.com to sign the register book and share a memory.

Jeff Eberhart Funeral Home of Dallas, GA is honored to serve the family of Major George Weldon Williams.

Edited by Eberhart Funeral Home - Dallas

George was not only a nice gentleman! he had a beautiful singing voice. I will miss hearing him sing from behind me in church. I have known him and his family for as long as I have been alive and there are/were some of the nicest people I have had the pleasure of knowing. You will be missed George, enjoy your reunion with Twila.