Paulding.com

Learning as I go.....mower repair policy revision

As most of yall know, I am new to running a business on my own. I have worked all my life for another man, in an office. So I am learning things as I go along. I thought that using trade-ins plus cash would help people out.....and it has helped people out. But it's killing ME. I certainly do not believe anyone has intentionally tried to pull the wool over my eyes, but fact is, a lot of people do think they have a good mower that only needs a "little" work, then I make good money on a resale. And a lot of these mowers I have received on trade-ins did look GREAT.....but when I got into the rebuilding process, I have encountered cracked fly-wheels, cracked blocks, broken piston rings, oil-blowing smoke-stacks, etc. It is impossible to tell what kind of shape an engine is in until it's been repaired enough to actually run (labor). Then after spending half a day prepping it up to run, you find you just did all that work on an engine that had massive internal problems. That = a half day wasted, and a half day's pay lost. I simply cannot afford that. While I strive to do all I can to help my customers get the best service for the lowest price, it is in my own best interest to stick with rebuilding mowers that I already KNOW myself are worth rebuilding. People have got hurt in the process of trying to use what was told to me was a fine mower, only to find it had major internal problems, not to mention me and my co-worker (my daughter) suffer a drastic loss in money for our labor.

Therefore, I will continue to offer the best prices and service you can find anywhere, but it's gonna have to be repairs for cash only- NO TRADE INS. It's not that people are trying to rip me off, it's just that they usually don't know enough about the engines to know what is reusable and what is not. And more often than not, they have not been reusable. As a result, some folks get a $100 mower for half the price, while I get stuck with something that is only suitable for the land-fill. No one could afford that, and it's cutting into my business and time, which results in delays on taking care of good, repeat customers who are used to me always making my deadlines, and never taking short-cuts.

Simply put- I cherish your business, and I take a lot of pride in repairing and keeping your mowers maintained...but no more trade-ins for service. If you have a used mower that is cluttering up your yard and you want me to come get it out of your way, I am fine with that. Your junk gets removed and I stand a 50/50 shot of it being in good enough shape to rebuild. But if you need repairs and tune-ups, I can only do it on a cash for service basis. This week alone landed me almost $250 in the hole because of trade-ins that did not live up to my standards (and my standards are high....I don't want to sell someone junk, and with my guarantee, I can only afford to re-sale mowers that I go out and find on my own, knowing exactly what kind of shape they are in.

I am not, nor would I ever point a finger at anyone regarding this, because everyone I have ever dealt with so far, have been the nicest folks you would ever meet. And a lot of my repeat customers give me a lot of business and usually tip me well over what I charge. I take that surplus and try to use it to help out single moms and folks who simply can't afford to pay much, but really need to cut their grass. I only try to make enough to survive on, and my main goal is good service. Word of mouth has proven to be my best asset. Some of my best customers believe I undercharge, so they insist on giving me more.....which is great. I love that kind of appreciation, and instead of heading off to the mall, I would rather take that extra money and use it to help someone who is in real need, and cutting them a lower price, simply because that's just the way I am. I don't have the the head and heart to be a good business man, but I do have enough heart to see when someone is in need, and I know I can use my services to help them.

Long story, short- (and I am sorry this was so long, but it's been a hellish week for me and my daughter) cash for services only. No trades. You still get top notch service for a fraction of the going rates, and NO ONE can get it done in a shorter time frame than Subby Enterprises.

Also, don't forget.....I can't take anymore machines until July 6 when I return from my vacation. God Bless, and I hope everyone understands my position on this. I have no "bad" customers. This is just one of those things I have had to learn the hard way, as I endeavor to offer something to my community without going broke over it. ;)