Paulding.com

Whoever hit the dog should have stopped.

But, on the other hand.... PEOPLE, QUIT LETTING YOUR DOGS RUN LOOSE... THEY CAN GET KILLED OUT THERE! Irresponsible and loveless owners let their animals run loose. There are exceptions but, they are few and far between. JMO!

The person should have stopped on a Hwy and -- what? Really, what should a person do after hitting any animal on a highway?

It seems like the responsible thing would be to call authorities about the situation, as opposed to getting out of your vehicle yourself. It could be a stray, with rabies -- you just don't know. It just doesn't seem like the safe thing to do, attempting to render aid yourself.....

You should stop and check on the dog and call the police. This is not an opinion but a fact. I would expect someone to render aid if they felt it was safe but to keep driving is a not the right thing to do. The dog owner should get in trouble as well for allowing their dog to run around but that it obvious or atleast I hope it is.

The person should have stopped on a Hwy and -- what? Really, what should a person do after hitting any animal on a highway?

It seems like the responsible thing would be to call authorities about the situation, as opposed to getting out of your vehicle yourself. It could be a stray, with rabies -- you just don't know. It just doesn't seem like the safe thing to do, attempting to render aid yourself.....

yeah, hit someones pet and just keep on trucking - wouldn't want to force anyone to take responsablity for their actions would we? <_< :rolleyes:

Isn't it the law to stop anyway!?!?!

At the same time, unless this was a matter of the dog finding his way out of the fence or darting out the door unexpected, the pet owner should be punished in some way also.

yeah, hit someones pet and just keep on trucking - wouldn't want to force anyone to take responsablity for their actions would we? <_< :rolleyes:

Isn't it the law to stop anyway!?!?!

At the same time, unless this was a matter of the dog finding his way out of the fence or darting out the door unexpected, the pet owner should be punished in some way also.

Now first let me say that I probably would have stopped, at least to get the owners name from the tag(assuming there is one). I am a pet owner and would like to know if this happened to my dog so he doesn't lay there only to be hit again.

As far as taking responsibility for one's actions, exactly which action would that be? Maintaining one's lane while traveling on the roadway? I'm sorry but if it's hitting your dog or the ditch, the dog loses. There is a leash law. Your post almost implies intent.

Is it really a law to stop and render aid to an animal? Do squirrels count? I hate squirrels. <_<

Now first let me say that I probably would have stopped, at least to get the owners name from the tag(assuming there is one). I am a pet owner and would like to know if this happened to my dog so he doesn't lay there only to be hit again.

As far as taking responsibility for one's actions, exactly which action would that be? Maintaining one's lane while traveling on the roadway? I'm sorry but if it's hitting your dog or the ditch, the dog loses. There is a leash law. Your post almost implies intent.

Is it really a law to stop and render aid to an animal? Do squirrels count? I hate squirrels. <_<

I am not saying anyone intend to hit the dog, I didn't imply that at all...this is the kind of comment that makes me throw up....lets worry more about our legel standing, then the creature that we just harmed, intentially or not. :rolleyes:

If you are in or you witness an accident between two cars that you did not cause wouldn't you stop? Or would you just keep rolling down the road as it might show that you somehow caused the issue? I never said that the person hit the dog on purpose, what I did say is that you should stop - not just because it may be the law but out of basic caring and compassion for the living creature you at best just injured or worse killed, not to mention the emotions of an owner who may have lost a pet due to this ACCIDENT....

Yes there is a leash law, how do you know the dog didn't dig out from under the fence, or dart out the door to chase one of your hated squirrels as the owner was leaving for work? It was an ACCIDENT, one would think that a person would be concerned not only about the dog but also the owner but I guess not, I guess we are more concerned about how it would make us look legelly!?!? Weather it was on purpose or not doesn't matter the dog was still hit. There are many things that you do in life that you don't intend to but still have to take responsablity for.

<Walks away before he really says what he means and gets banned from Pcom>

No law saying you have to stop and render aid to a dog. I may stop and try to identify the owner so I could go after them for damages to my vehicle if there were any.

EDIT - I don't feel like getting bullets today.... <_<

I am not saying anyone intend to hit the dog, I didn't imply that at all...this is the kind of comment that makes me throw up....lets worry more about our legel standing, then the creature that we just harmed, intentially or not. :rolleyes:

If you are in or you witness an accident between two cars that you did not cause wouldn't you stop? Or would you just keep rolling down the road as it might show that you somehow caused the issue? I never said that the person hit the dog on purpose, what I did say is that you should stop - not just because it may be the law but out of basic caring and compassion for the living creature you at best just injured or worse killed, not to mention the emotions of an owner who may have lost a pet due to this ACCIDENT....

Yes there is a leash law, how do you know the dog didn't dig out from under the fence, or dart out the door to chase one of your hated squirrels as the owner was leaving for work? It was an ACCIDENT, one would think that a person would be concerned not only about the dog but also the owner but I guess not, I guess we are more concerned about how it would make us look legelly!?!? Weather it was on purpose or not doesn't matter the dog was still hit. There are many things that you do in life that you don't intend to but still have to take responsablity for.

<Walks away before he really says what he means and gets banned from Pcom>

By all means say what you mean. My skin has grown pretty darn thick over the years. I don't really want to get into a pissin' contest with you but I can't just let your reply go either. When you post that you believe it is the law, and place exclamation points after it. YOU seem to be worried about someone's legal standing.

Comparing a collision with an animal to one with other people in a moving steel object is a stretch don't you think? I have been at more than my share of accidents as a former EMT. Believe me, there is NO comparison.

Don't try to make me out as some uncaring animal hater. If you read the beginning of my post I said that I would have stopped, especially as an owner myself.

You said that maybe the pet owner should be punished ALSO unless the dog accidently got out, thus implying that the driver should be punished first. How the dog got out is a moot point, the owner is responsible. If I swerve to miss your dog and hit something else, are you going to pay for the damages? After all this I guess all I ever wanted to say was maybe you should cut this person a little slack.

An accident is an accident. I don't care what you hit. Many people hit deer and call the police/animal control people to let them know what happened. If a person hits a mailbox they shouldn't leave a note they should just keep on driving? If it was safe to stop I think you should. Just my opinion since I don't know all the particulars of what actually occurred.

An accident is an accident. I don't care what you hit. Many people hit deer and call the police/animal control people to let them know what happened. If a person hits a mailbox they shouldn't leave a note they should just keep on driving? If it was safe to stop I think you should. Just my opinion since I don't know all the particulars of what actually occurred.

Agreed.