Paulding.com

Candidates for the 19th seat

Who is the smarter conservative  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who is smarter

• Bob Barr
    • Sarah Palin

Just thought I would compile Will Avery and Paulette Braddock's positions on issues that impact Paulding county and the 19th. This information is taken directly from their websites and presumably represents their aims and objectives if they were elected to represent the 19th.

Paulette Braddock

PRIORITIES & GOALS:

* Ensure responsible government spending

* Economic and business growth in Georgia to create jobs

* Lower taxes on individuals and businesses

* Policies that allow more individual choice

* Less liberty-limiting legislation

* Pro-life policies that honor the sanctity of life of the unborn

Will Avery

On Education

I uniquely understand the importance of a quality education. Both my mother and father were public school teachers and I am a product of Georgia’s public education system from kindergarten through college. Both my wife, Laurien, whose mother is also a teacher, and I are educators as well, and we plan to enroll our daughter Norah in the Paulding County School System when she is old enough. This is why I have a passion for ensuring the success of Georgia’s public schools. I believe:

· …that the current leadership under the Gold Dome has proven time and time again that they do not value the education of our children, which has been demonstrated through deep budget cuts on the backs of teachers, parents and students.

· …that there should never be any need to make a single cut to public education, and as your Representative, I will never vote for a single bill that cuts funding from our schools.

· …rather than making blanket cuts to our schools, we need to find alternative sources of revenue, outside of raising taxes, to close the gaps in the budget.

· …there should never be any need to furlough teachers or increase class sizes.

· …in order to ensure that Paulding County has the best teachers, we must pay them competitively, and therefore I am against Merit Pay, which adversely affects historically under performing schools. Our educators are professionals who deserve to be treated with respect and courtesy, as your Representative, I will be a voice for Georgia educators in Atlanta.

· …we must ensure that our children are given every chance to obtain a college degree. I believe that we must continue to fund the HOPE Scholarship and public higher educational institutes, while looking to expand Georgia’s community and technical college system to include more areas, including Paulding County.

On Paulding’s Working Middle Class

I know that the working middle class sustains Paulding County. I believe we need to focus on policy measures that strengthen the power that you have, and make sure that every Paulding County resident can find work. The economic crisis we now find ourselves in has affected the working middle class the most, and legislative action under the Gold Dome must reflect the needs of the heart of Paulding County.

On Business and Job Creation

I love supporting local businesses, because they are the economic heart of Paulding County. Once again, the politicians in Atlanta have put our local businesses in harm’s way through their neglect of the working man. Having been employed at a number of local small businesses, I have seen firsthand the struggles that small business owners have had to face in this tough economy. As a surveyor at the Bentley-Craton Group, I was charged with making tough decisions that affected both the operating budget and the employees of the business. I will, in order to ensure the success of Paulding County’s bustling business community:

· …discourage giving multibillion dollar corporations in Atlanta huge tax breaks, while leaving local businessmen and women in Paulding County out to dry.

· …support giving tax credits to small business owners for hiring new employees, which will help decrease unemployment in Paulding County.

· …respect both employers and employees. Without a workforce that is content with their working conditions, Georgia’s businesses will be inefficient and unproductive.

· …seek to pass laws that will help make Georgia more attractive to large companies and industry.

On Taxes

I believe there are some serious issues with Georgia’s tax system. I understand how hard Paulding County residents work to earn a living, and I therefore want to make sure that you are able to keep more of your money. I believe:

· …that taxes should never be increased for middle and lower class Americans.

· …that huge corporations like Delta should not be given multimillion dollar tax breaks on items like jet fuel while you can't pay to fill up you car!

· …that tax exemptions, like the Grocery Sales Tax exemption, that affect all Georgians equally are beneficial, and should be preserved.

On Guns

I believe that the United States Constitution, in the Second Amendment, clearly gives Americans the right to own firearms. Georgia legislation should ensure that those arms are owned legally, and that they stay out of the hands of those that wish us and our children harm. I will never vote to take away your gun owning rights.

On Water and the Environment

We need to ensure that Paulding County's future isn't engulfed by the water crisis facing metro Atlanta. As your Representative, I will assure that our water ways are preserved, so that businesses will still be able to develop, while assuring that our environment is protected from unnecessary encroachment. We must approach the current water crisis with Florida and Alabama with both a sense of urgency and of diplomacy to ensure that solutions are found.

On Transportation

Paulding County is directly involved in the transportation crisis that encircles metro Atlanta. Many of our residents commute daily into Atlanta, and many more of us are forced to use overly congested roads to get from home to work. Beyond that, we are wasting our gas because of a great lack of mass transit systems available to Paulding County—a problem that plagues most of Georgia. I sincerely believe that, unless we reform our transportation infrastructure, Georgia will not be able to compete with other southern states to gain business, and we as a state will fall further behind. I pledge:

.…to work to expand affordable mass transit options, such as light rail, which will serve to connect new parts of the state with one another.

...to help improve Paulding's transportation in order to make our county more desirable to industry and small business. Without these necessary improvements, Paulding will continue to experience a competitive disadvantage in the job market

On Ethics

More and more, Georgians are being subjected to seeing their elected officials entangled in ethics scandals. From bribery to lying, elected officials are being allowed to act freely—oftentimes with your tax dollars. I sincerely believe that we need to have much stronger ethics laws in place so we can rein in corruption at all levels of government. As your Representative, I will:

· …fight for laws that will strengthen accountability and honesty in elected officials’ and candidates’ reporting of contributions and gifts.

...fight for increased transparency in Georgia's governing process so that all citizens are able to view firsthand their representatives at work

mrnn

• Like 2

To be fair, because I know that Avery's list makes Braddock's list look like kind of, eh, lacking (?), I was going to start another thread showing photos taken with political figureheads but just didn't think the interest was there. Ms. Braddock definitely makes up for any lack of substance on the issues with an uncanny ability to set up in Atlanta to get pictures with people more influential than she and post them on her websites. Mr. Avery is severely lacking in this area.

mrnn

Great job. You must be bored.

It's an important race and we should have an informed electorate. Are you inferring that each candidate's published platform isn't relevant information? Or are you just embarrassed by your candidate's platform?

mrnn

• Like 1

Just thought I would compile Will Avery and Paulette Braddock's positions on issues that impact Paulding county and the 19th. This information is taken directly from their websites and presumably represents their aims and objectives if they were elected to represent the 19th.

Paulette Braddock

PRIORITIES & GOALS:

* Ensure responsible government spending

* Economic and business growth in Georgia to create jobs

* Lower taxes on individuals and businesses

* Policies that allow more individual choice

* Less liberty-limiting legislation

* Pro-life policies that honor the sanctity of life of the unborn

Will Avery

On Education

I uniquely understand the importance of a quality education. Both my mother and father were public school teachers and I am a product of Georgia’s public education system from kindergarten through college. Both my wife, Laurien, whose mother is also a teacher, and I are educators as well, and we plan to enroll our daughter Norah in the Paulding County School System when she is old enough. This is why I have a passion for ensuring the success of Georgia’s public schools. I believe:

· …that the current leadership under the Gold Dome has proven time and time again that they do not value the education of our children, which has been demonstrated through deep budget cuts on the backs of teachers, parents and students.

· …that there should never be any need to make a single cut to public education, and as your Representative, I will never vote for a single bill that cuts funding from our schools.

· …rather than making blanket cuts to our schools, we need to find alternative sources of revenue, outside of raising taxes, to close the gaps in the budget.

· …there should never be any need to furlough teachers or increase class sizes.

· …in order to ensure that Paulding County has the best teachers, we must pay them competitively, and therefore I am against Merit Pay, which adversely affects historically under performing schools. Our educators are professionals who deserve to be treated with respect and courtesy, as your Representative, I will be a voice for Georgia educators in Atlanta.

· …we must ensure that our children are given every chance to obtain a college degree. I believe that we must continue to fund the HOPE Scholarship and public higher educational institutes, while looking to expand Georgia’s community and technical college system to include more areas, including Paulding County.

On Paulding’s Working Middle Class

I know that the working middle class sustains Paulding County. I believe we need to focus on policy measures that strengthen the power that you have, and make sure that every Paulding County resident can find work. The economic crisis we now find ourselves in has affected the working middle class the most, and legislative action under the Gold Dome must reflect the needs of the heart of Paulding County.

On Business and Job Creation

I love supporting local businesses, because they are the economic heart of Paulding County. Once again, the politicians in Atlanta have put our local businesses in harm’s way through their neglect of the working man. Having been employed at a number of local small businesses, I have seen firsthand the struggles that small business owners have had to face in this tough economy. As a surveyor at the Bentley-Craton Group, I was charged with making tough decisions that affected both the operating budget and the employees of the business. I will, in order to ensure the success of Paulding County’s bustling business community:

· …discourage giving multibillion dollar corporations in Atlanta huge tax breaks, while leaving local businessmen and women in Paulding County out to dry.

· …support giving tax credits to small business owners for hiring new employees, which will help decrease unemployment in Paulding County.

· …respect both employers and employees. Without a workforce that is content with their working conditions, Georgia’s businesses will be inefficient and unproductive.

· …seek to pass laws that will help make Georgia more attractive to large companies and industry.

On Taxes

I believe there are some serious issues with Georgia’s tax system. I understand how hard Paulding County residents work to earn a living, and I therefore want to make sure that you are able to keep more of your money. I believe:

· …that taxes should never be increased for middle and lower class Americans.

· …that huge corporations like Delta should not be given multimillion dollar tax breaks on items like jet fuel while you can't pay to fill up you car!

· …that tax exemptions, like the Grocery Sales Tax exemption, that affect all Georgians equally are beneficial, and should be preserved.

On Guns

I believe that the United States Constitution, in the Second Amendment, clearly gives Americans the right to own firearms. Georgia legislation should ensure that those arms are owned legally, and that they stay out of the hands of those that wish us and our children harm. I will never vote to take away your gun owning rights.

On Water and the Environment

We need to ensure that Paulding County's future isn't engulfed by the water crisis facing metro Atlanta. As your Representative, I will assure that our water ways are preserved, so that businesses will still be able to develop, while assuring that our environment is protected from unnecessary encroachment. We must approach the current water crisis with Florida and Alabama with both a sense of urgency and of diplomacy to ensure that solutions are found.

On Transportation

Paulding County is directly involved in the transportation crisis that encircles metro Atlanta. Many of our residents commute daily into Atlanta, and many more of us are forced to use overly congested roads to get from home to work. Beyond that, we are wasting our gas because of a great lack of mass transit systems available to Paulding County—a problem that plagues most of Georgia. I sincerely believe that, unless we reform our transportation infrastructure, Georgia will not be able to compete with other southern states to gain business, and we as a state will fall further behind. I pledge:

.…to work to expand affordable mass transit options, such as light rail, which will serve to connect new parts of the state with one another.

...to help improve Paulding's transportation in order to make our county more desirable to industry and small business. Without these necessary improvements, Paulding will continue to experience a competitive disadvantage in the job market

On Ethics

More and more, Georgians are being subjected to seeing their elected officials entangled in ethics scandals. From bribery to lying, elected officials are being allowed to act freely—oftentimes with your tax dollars. I sincerely believe that we need to have much stronger ethics laws in place so we can rein in corruption at all levels of government. As your Representative, I will:

· …fight for laws that will strengthen accountability and honesty in elected officials’ and candidates’ reporting of contributions and gifts.

...fight for increased transparency in Georgia's governing process so that all citizens are able to view firsthand their representatives at work

mrnn

This is a very good post, it is so sad that Paulette did not Debate Will Avery and relied only on her web site to inform the voters.

Oh...you didn't type Braddocks name right....... :ninja:

Paulette Rakestraw Braddock

I swear, that still just makes me laugh.

PS - Avery is pro-life as well. The positions of the two candidates on this are identical, I believe.

Why did she refuse to debate again? I always thought candidates wanted us voters to know about them. I could understand if there was stuff they didn't want us to know and all, but

So far all Paulette can do it re-iterate how she is a Tea Party Conservative even though she voted for 8 out of 8 consecutive tax increases whilst on the BOE. I guess her idea of a Tea Party Conservative and the rest of the country's idea is a bit differentiated. She never saw or met a tax increase she could or would not endorse. This is a Tea Party Conservative ?

Come on out and tell us where you stand Paulette. Even the local GOP now understands they have a Large White Elephant in the room, but are afraid to acknowledge it is there.

• Like 3

Thanks MRNN. Unlike the Governor's race, we have an excellent alternative to a tainted Republican candidate. I think that Will will do a fine job representing the people of east Paulding County. He has really studied the problems we face, and although we don't agree 100% (who does?) he offers some very creative and fiscally conservative solutions to education, taxes, quality growth, and balancing the budget. He is much more than a letter behind a name.

Hold it, so all you have to do to get elected is make a website with some catch phrases on it and put an "R" after your name?

Until Will Avery came along and screwed it all up. :rofl:

I'm betting Paulette isn't out putting up signs tonight.

To be fair, because I know that Avery's list makes Braddock's list look like kind of, eh, lacking (?), I was going to start another thread showing photos taken with political figureheads but just didn't think the interest was there. Ms. Braddock definitely makes up for any lack of substance on the issues with an uncanny ability to set up in Atlanta to get pictures with people more influential than she and post them on her websites. Mr. Avery is severely lacking in this area.

mrnn

It's an important race and we should have an informed electorate. Are you inferring that each candidate's published

platform isn't relevant information? Or are you just embarrassed by your candidate's platform?

mrnn

I don't have a dog in this fight.

I don't have a dog in this fight.

If you live or do business within Paulding, you do indeed have a dog in this fight. This will not only effect us for the next 2 legislative terms, it will also effect how the districts are redrawn after the census. We need our OWN Senator, and we will get another legislative seat. WHO is representing us will have an effect on this process.

True, true. How unfortunate that way back when, even when some of us smelled a big rat, somehow Dave Carmichael, who was so credible, had integrity and real leadership ability, did not win against the empty shell of a "nobody's home" candidate for BOE. I'm still bitter over that one. Just think how some things would be different now.

• Like 1

I would like for the candidates to answer my concerns. I read a lot about our economy and watch the news all of the time and I am so confused about people thinking we can create jobs and wanting to place blame. The way I see it is going to be a long time in the future because we were told several years ago that technology would destroy many jobs and that has come to pass. We do so many things now with our computers and that has caused a lot of people to lose jobs. When the housing bubble burst it caused so many to lose jobs because that was a major income source in this county. Think of all of the people that were effected. It was a trickle down effect in so many different entities and those jobs are not coming back. They say give tax breaks to small companies so they will put people to work. How? if there is no demand for their line of business how do they hire and put people to work.

Where are all of the jobs going to come from? Please tell me.

Infrastructure would be a good option. Yes it will create jobs but yes it will cause us to pay more tax. If we do not keep our roads maintained and create a new way to travel because there is a lot of people in this country and they need a way to we will just have to sit at home because our roads will be in such disrepair. If we do not pay more taxes there will be no quality education for our children. If we do not address a way to reduce the cost of energy we will be paying double the cost of utilities in the not so distant future.

I just do not understand why people are so negative about the job issue when if we think about it there is no way to put a great number of people back to work the jobs are not there and will not be for a long time.