Paulding.com

just caught the end of the dispatch. Three SO units, and I believe E9 and R9 responding to 278 at Poplar Springs? for an overturned, smoking tractor-trailer.

One confirmed entraped.

E9, clarks requested 10-18.

R2 on scene.

just caught the end of the dispatch. Three SO units, and I believe E9 and R9 responding to 278 at Poplar Springs? for an overturned, smoking tractor-trailer.

One confirmed entraped.

E9, clarks requested 10-18.

R2 on scene.

Sorry Freebird didn't know you were posting on this.

R2 reports that E9 should continue in - oil on ground. Both sides of road are blocked.

3402 assumes command.

GSP just got dispatched

GSP - only one Trooper in the county....

Edited by FreeBird

Power company is enroute also.

There are at least 4 SO units on scene

SO 19 (K9 Hondo) is asking for location of 10-50

got some mad cable and phone customers - lines in the road....

power company can be cancelled - okay who doesn't have phone and cable???

Edited by FreeBird

The ones not reading this? LOL

All I heard was several poles involved.

Looks like 198 gets to wait on the GSP.

A good example of why our deputies should be allowed to write full accident reports. One trooper in the county with several accidents waiting for the GSP. Another accident has a deputy waiting for the GSP. These depuites should be able to write the report and then get back to chasing bad guys - not sitting on the side of the road.

<corrected>

R2 back in service.

Edited by FreeBird

Hiram PD showed up first!! Not even their jurisdiction!! Guy was driving too fast and had the back of his truck all the way up (said he doesn't know how) and caught several lines, finally caught one large enough to sling him around and flip him over. Never on fire apparently, but they pulled him out and he walked to the ambulance. Everyone's fine from what I heard.

Hiram PD showed up first!! Not even their jurisdiction!! Guy was driving too fast and had the back of his truck all the way up (said he doesn't know how) and caught several lines, finally caught one large enough to sling him around and flip him over. Never on fire apparently, but they pulled him out and he walked to the ambulance. Everyone's fine from what I heard.

I have heard so many complaints about these big trucks going to fast, stuff flying out and hitting people, ect.! I have a friend that had this happen to her. One of these big dump trucks was flying down 61 and some rocks flew off and hit her front windshield, which broke the windshield. She suddenly couldn't see where she was going and ran off the road. Luckily where she ran off wasn't an embankment, so after she composed herself she drove to Dallas PD, to make a report, by hanging her head out the window. Apparently the Dallas PD told her, that they hear this all the time, and most likely the person wouldn't be caught. She and her passanger did sustain some minor injuries. And I don't think they ever caught up with this person.

Looks like 198 gets to wait on the GSP.

A good example of why our deputies should be allowed to write full accident reports. One trooper in the county with several accidents waiting for the GSP. Another accident has a deputy waiting for the GSP. These depuites should be able to write the report and then get back to chasing bad guys - not sitting on the side of the road.

<corrected>

R2 back in service.

I understand the frustation of waiting, but if our sheriffs wrote up accident reports, then they would have to investigate the site. In the long run, it appears that takes more manpower and time.

I have heard so many complaints about these big trucks going to fast, stuff flying out and hitting people, ect.! I have a friend that had this happen to her. One of these big dump trucks was flying down 61 and some rocks flew off and hit her front windshield, which broke the windshield. She suddenly couldn't see where she was going and ran off the road. Luckily where she ran off wasn't an embankment, so after she composed herself she drove to Dallas PD, to make a report, by hanging her head out the window. Apparently the Dallas PD told her, that they hear this all the time, and most likely the person wouldn't be caught. She and her passanger did sustain some minor injuries. And I don't think they ever caught up with this person.

Hanging her head out the window??? OMG why didnt she call 911? Truck insurance company's won't pay for broken windshields, hence the sign, not responsible for objects coming from road, and stay back 500 ft!!!

I understand the frustation of waiting, but if our sheriffs wrote up accident reports, then they would have to investigate the site. In the long run, it appears that takes more manpower and time.

Many times a deputy can spend hours (I heard a GSP call out that had been waiting 80 minutes this morning). The deputies can be trained to do the investigations. Something serious like a fatality accident should be the responsibility of the experts with the GSP's SCRT crew. Simple finder-benders and deer run-ins should be handled by the SO. Yes, the deputy might have to go to court on occasion, but if the laws of the road are enforced, then the accident rate will decrease.

Let me guess – you have ties to the SO, correct? That’s the same song and dance the sheriff gave me.

Hanging her head out the window??? OMG why didnt she call 911? Truck insurance company's won't pay for broken windshields, hence the sign, not responsible for objects coming from road, and stay back 500 ft!!!

The reason she went straight to Dallas PD was because she was on 61 not far from the station. Quicker to just go up there.

How do you stay back 500 ft. if you are going one direction and they are coming another on a two lane road? There is no way to stay 500 ft. from them. Plus, this was a dump truck loaded with the dirt and rocks. The rock actually fell off the truck.

Edited by ivylove
Many times a deputy can spend hours (I heard a GSP call out that had been waiting 80 minutes this morning). The deputies can be trained to do the investigations. Something serious like a fatality accident should be the responsibility of the experts with the GSP's SCRT crew. Simple finder-benders and deer run-ins should be handled by the SO. Yes, the deputy might have to go to court on occasion, but if the laws of the road are enforced, then the accident rate will decrease.

Let me guess – you have ties to the SO, correct? That's the same song and dance the sheriff gave me.

No, I don't. I agree with you, but was just telling what crap was told to me.

I live on Poplar Springs and was walking out my front door when this wreck happened. I am very glad the man was able to walk to the ambulance - that was one of the most amazing things I have seen in a long time... EVERYONE flies down our road toward 278 or Macland ... it's ridiculous. We witness more accidents on our street than I care to recount... if everyone would just SLOW down. This guy, though I am glad he's safe (hopefully) could have killed people today - and was going so fast down the road I heard him coming before he caught the power lines.

SLOW DOWN.

With all this talk of trucks and what not.....

I was on Buchanan Hwy and up ahead of me some was a cement truck or dump truck.....it was going up the hill and passed the car that was in front of it. All I could think was WTF.....sorta not safe to do that and all.

Another time I was pulling out of the Safe Harbor Subdivision on Buchanan Hwy and one of those sorta big but not too big trucks came flying down the road and out of the back flings a metal wheel barrow. I just kept thinking what would've happened if someone was behind that truck ack!

Oh and my windshield got a chip in it from a stupid dump truck.....it was going in the opposite direction from me.

I live on Poplar Springs and was walking out my front door when this wreck happened. I am very glad the man was able to walk to the ambulance - that was one of the most amazing things I have seen in a long time... EVERYONE flies down our road toward 278 or Macland ... it's ridiculous. We witness more accidents on our street than I care to recount... if everyone would just SLOW down. This guy, though I am glad he's safe (hopefully) could have killed people today - and was going so fast down the road I heard him coming before he caught the power lines.

SLOW DOWN.

I wish you could have snapped a pic of this and posted. A mangled truck! They say a picture is worth a thousand words, maybe some pics like this will get the message across that people really DO need to SLOW DOWN!

The reason she went straight to Dallas PD was because she was on 61 not far from the station. Quicker to just go up there.

How do you stay back 500 ft. if you are going one direction and they are coming another on a two lane road? There is no way to stay 500 ft. from them. Plus, this was a dump truck loaded with the dirt and rocks. The rock actually fell off the truck.

did she actually see the rock come from the truck?? if not then it could have been kicked up from the road...it's not always the truck or the drivers fault!

did she actually see the rock come from the truck?? if not then it could have been kicked up from the road...it's not always the truck or the drivers fault!

There was another girl in the car with her and it is my understanding that it was seen falling off the truck. They said it happened so fast, there was no time to really react, and she couldn't swerve into oncoming traffic.

I was told this was not just a piece of gravel either. It apparently was a fairly big rock, big enough to really mess up her windshield.

I thought this was discussed a couple of weeks ago, I even posted the minimum schools needed to work accidents that every patrol deputy would have to attend, not for SCRT stuff but just average collisions. Many times the roadside investigation takes the least amount of time when compared to the rest of the investigation when you include putting all the measurements into a sketch and then running those measurements through formulas to obtain a minimum speed and DOT of all vehicles involved. These things are not completed on the side of the road.

If a Deputy writes the report without proper training then the report becomes useless down the road when it goes to court, it will be shown he is not an "expert" by the defense and his opinion has no basis. That is why every county around us other than Cobb allows GSP to perform one of the jobs the specialize in.....working accidents in unincorporated areas of the state. Cherokee, Bartow, Polk, Harralson and Douglas all do things the exact way this county does for good reason.....the state trains an agency to do that work because many smaller agencies do not have the funds or the manpower to train it officers to work accidents.

edited....I will post them again...the county would have to pay for the salary and the cost of the class and possibly OT to replace that officer while he is away. Add that up for all the patrol officers plus add on court time and about a substantial amount for a small department.

On-Scene Traffic Accident Investigation Level 1

Course Length: 80 Hours

This course is designed to give the student the minimum skills necessary to conduct a traffic accident investigation at the scene. Students receive training on how to measure, diagram, and document the results of the traffic accident.

------------

On-Scene Traffic Accident Investigation Level 2

Course Length: 40 Hours

Students attending this course will gain the knowledge, skills, and abilities to calculate drag factor and speed from skid mark evidence. The equation for drag factor and speed will be explained in-depth to include variations and the derivation. This course involves advanced mathematical calculations.

-------------

Add to that Traffic Accident Reconstruction Levels 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 which are 40 hours each.

Edited by Ugadawgs98

They don't need to have reconstruction!! Let GSP handle those wrecks!! Some deputies will work small accidents if they feel like it and GSP is too far out. All they need is the course that is provided in Police Academy. Hiram does their own wrecks....they've even worked fatalities! (Detectives and GSP can do reconstruction if needed). And they have less manpower at any given time than the county!! They just have to make sure any charges that are incurred from the wreck match the report and their testimony in court.

Let me guess – you have ties to the SO, correct? That’s the same song and dance the sheriff gave me.

Thank you FreeBird!! Like I said, they technically only need the course that is provided in police academy, which all officers/deputies HAVE to go through to be certified to do their job!!

Edited by CynRee

Not true...at all.

The 4 hour block in the academy is a familiarization course with the accident form itself and how the state wants roads labeled. Education is needed to work wrecks if you want the report to actually mean anything in court to the victim. Calculating speed and DOT from skids and yaw marks to determine who was at fault is done on many accidents when the drivers conflict themselves to find the truth.

On-Scene Traffic Accident Investigation Level 1

Course Length: 80 Hours

This course is designed to give the student the minimum skills necessary to conduct a traffic accident investigation at the scene. Students receive training on how to measure, diagram, and document the results of the traffic accident.

Edited by Ugadawgs98

CYNREE,

You are absolutely right. Deputies should work wrecks. UGADAWG98 thinks the cost is too much. I strongly disagree. Based on the posts it appears that 4 Deputies waited up to 80 minutes for GSP. They all had to drive there. Their cars were idling etc. There was only 1 Trooper working and it appears that there were additional wrecks waiting for law enforcement assistance. While these Deputies were sitting there waiting on the Trooper how many other crimes and other law enforcement related things were going on. Paulding County Sheriff's Deputies are competent. They definitely have the physical and mental ability to work wrecks. I know that they are frustrated. I am 100% that they can do every bit as good a job as any other law enforcement officer in this state.

It is not hard to work 99% of the wrecks on our road. Most wrecks can be worked in 30 minutes. Most cases DO NOT go to court. I hope that UGADAWG98 also understands the liability factor goes UP while they are waiting on a Trooper. How? While law enforcement is out with the drivers involved in the wrecks they are responsible for the safety of those drivers. I have seen numerous situations where our citizens are in vulnerable positions waiting on a Trooper to work the scene.

Not working wrecks is an absolutely awful, expensive policy for our law enforcement to have. I am running for Sheriff in July 2008 and I will change this policy if you elect me.

Sincerely,

jk rogers

FREEBIRD,

You are right. Maybe if the traffic law was enforced there would not have been a wreck in the first place in this incident and many others. Of course, stopping something before it happens is the SAFEST and cheapest way to handle things. I am running for Sherriff in 2008 and you will see a much larger traffic enforcement presence by the Sheriff's Office if you elect me.

Sincerely,

jk rogers