Paulding.com

Tragic News -- Hiram High Senior dies of injuries

Guest publisher

Terry Cates, a senior at Hiram High, died this morning in the Grady trauma ward due to complications from a car accident two weeks ago. Terry rolled his jeep over and was lifeflighted to Grady.

Our source on this is reliable and asked that we post this notice.

Terry Cates and his family and the larger family at Hiram High all grieve at this loss and pray for his deliverance.

several friends told me about him being in a coma, I'm so sorry to here of the turn of events.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends.

" when I had lost all hope, I turned my thoughts once more to the lord. My earnest prayer went to you in your Holy Temple."

Jonah 2:7 TLB

Hello Everyone...

Yes the news is true and all the students of Hiram High School were notified on the condition of Terry Cates this morning. As an office aid I can assure you that everything is being done to ensure that the students are taken care of. With counselors on hand and the principal staying in contact with Terry's parents, the school is working with the students as much as they can.

I'm going to most a picture of Terry in his Jeep a few months before. This picture shows Terry in his Jeep having good old teenage fun.

Thank You,

Gem Man 86

:( My Prayers go out to the Cates family and to all the young people that knew Terry. Terry was a remarkable young man , always full of energy. I've spent many nights camping with Terry and I will miss him. I'm sorry that I haven't seen him in a while. May God comfort his family and his friends.

Coach.

I am so sorry to hear of this tragic loss. This is the accident that occurred near my house on Ridge Road. My thoughts and prayers are with the Cates family. Does anyone know what caused the jeep to flip? My husband and I own a jeep that is almost identical to the one in the accident.

Yes,

Terry and some buddies were driving down the road. His buddies were in another car in front of him. His buddies stopped ahead just around a corner, off the side of the road. Unfortunatly the car was not far enough off the road and when Terry came around the corner he tried to dodge the car and did, but it caused his jeep to flip. ( Amout of times is unknown). From there I don't know....

Information Fact of Fiction: The information is what is being told at Hiram High and with many of the same version of the information going around, I would bet the information is right.

The probelm with Terries car is that is was a jeep and most if not all jeeps are what they call "top heavy" and increases the chance of roll overs.

Thanks,

Gem Man 86

:( Terry~ You WILL be missed! You were such a good person and a wonderful friend. God has a plan for you, T*Cates...and you're in a better place now. I know your better there and out of misery & pain...but we miss you, man! Your sweet smiling face will live on forever in our hearts. Rest in Peace buddy! We love you!!! XoXoX :(

My prayers are with Terry's family and friends. Again, thank you Paulding.com as I found out this sad news here and was able to tell my daughter as soon as school was out. She goes to EPHS and her boyfriend, who knew Terry well, goes to Hiram. She was able to be prepared to help him cope with this loss of a good friend.

I'm going to post a picture of Terry in his Jeep a few months before. This picture shows Terry in his Jeep having good old teenage fun.

gemman86 thank you for sharing the information and picture of terry with us.

Edited by ridge rd retiree

My heart goes out to his family and friends. He and my son were in Boy Scouts together. I cannot imagine what his family must be going through right now. I too spent time camping with Terry when he was younger and in the Boy Scout Troop 2741. Since then, Terry would always make a point of coming up and speaking to me whenever I saw him around town. I saw him last at a football game last year and he told me about his jeep. He was a good kid and I will miss him. I have a photo or two taken on scouting trips if the family wants them, I'll be glad to send them to them.

I hope someone posts the funeral arrangements so we may attend.

Here are his arrangements:

Family and Friends Viewing: His body will be at Bellamy Funeral Home in Hiram today from 6:00-8:00 PM and Thurs. from 2:00-4:00 and 6:00-8:00 PM.

- Funeral: Friday at 11:00 in the chapel of Roswell Street Baptist Church

- Burial: Friday at 3:00 PM at Toccoa Baptist Church near the Blue Ridge Mountains

Well, I think I would say this to Terry tonight if I could have stood by his bed in that room. I know so much about from previous events. Terry, I think you were one of a kinda, intelligent, and I could never forget a eye and ear for everything that a good ol` sounthern boy could possibly dream of. It has been so long since I have actually seen you. Its to hard to forget the nights we argued and fought over stuff I never knew I would regret down the road. God has his ways of working with us like this though. It only makes sense. When I heard the news, it really never hit me all the sudden. Thinks have their ways of doing this to me. It really hits me when I have time to thing about all the nights we spent together camping and fishin. Just what us Boy Scouts did. It was those nights though brought me ahead of my crowd though. It did you the same my friend. I saw you not that long ago at the Meggamaxx car show, wasnt that cool?!?! Yeah, it was I think I saw some stuff that would have interest you. When I sat with my dad in the hospital. I learned real fast how to approach the bed side of a injured person. Its almost like a miracle just to be able to walk in the room and see the person breathing. It takes your heart away and can take you from just standing there with a straight face, to bending over crying your eyes out asking God...Why? Well he and he only relly knows why. I am also sure Terry he wont be affraid to tell you all about it. Hes a great God, and he only wants you because he is gonna have you the ultimate Jeep when you get there brother. Yeah, man! Git-R-Done! Terry my heart goes out to you man, and I know that you will alwys be in the heart of the ones that loved you most. Your loving parents which I had the previlige of meeting a few times in the past. Also the fellow Boy Scouts that knew you best. We were the ones that if you ever had a problem with, you knew you could share it with us. It will always be that way, never chaning. Only making us all better people in the end. You will be at your best with God, he will let you stretch those wings he only allows great angels to have. I knew from when I met you, if you needed anything in this world, it was just let it all out. I was picking out pictures tonight to show your parents. Dude I found some good times in those pics. Pictures of us going hiking and fishin. All those things that brought the young men of Boy Scouts together. Also I would have say we had the best leaders anyone could have ask for. They were both understanding and caring for our needs, and our hopes. Always, supporting us with whatever dreams we had. Never once telling us we couldnt do it. I think if I could have spent one more day with you. I would just have wanted it to me you and the guys goin, walking. Not ever knowing were we would end up. Only to find ourselves in a wonderful paradise. A place were there wasnt a street light for as far as the eye could see. Also a amazing sunset over the hills, to leave us in the dark around a campfire, which many if not hundreds or thousands of good stories were told among us. Tells of the good and the bad. Tells that will never be forgotten by all of us, who were there for you in any time of grief or joy. As the night ended when we would all have to say by to you, it would be of great comfort, to know we spent your last night with you riding down the road with you in your Jeep as you flipped, into the night to find the creator of that paradise he blessed us so greatly with to have and share with one another. My heart, just the same as thousands of others go out to you my brother, and to your parents. You were honestly a all around great guy.

Your Friend,

Neal

Guest frankiesangel

Although I am still new (only 2 years here) and do not know this family. My heart goes out to you and as well as the friends of Terry.

I will keep you all in my prayers. Terry is with Our Heavenly Father now. He is in a better place than we are. May God Bless the family and friends left behind to help them endure this tragic time in their lives.

I can not imagine this kind of loss and I know my tears are no comfort to this family but I am praying for a peace that only God can give them.

I'm a staff member a HHS and those students were so sad about the loss of a good

friend and classmate. We really need to be there for our kids, especially when something like this happens. I have kids of my own and can't even imagine what his family is going through, MAY GOD BE WITH THEM AND COMFORT THEM THROUGH THIS TRAGEDY.

:( :) :p

Hey Tuts,

I hate it so bad that we were not there for you when you needed us. If we woulda known we woulda been there for you. We are here for you if you need to talk or if you just need to come over and not talk. We love you! If you and big Terry need anything you let us know. We werent there for you when this happened but we are here now. Your in our prayers.

Love, Bernice & Crissy Rich

• 2 weeks later...

I HAD THE PLEASURE OF KNOWING TERRY SINCE HE WAS IN MIDDLE SCHOOL.

TERRY MATURED INTO A GREAT YOUNG MAN. HE WAS FRIENDS WITH BOTH OF MY SONS AND COULD BE SEEN COMING UP OUR DRIVE IN THAT RED JEEP AT ANYTIME. TERRY WE MISS YOU. TO CINDY AND TERRY YOU HAVE OUR LOVE AND OUR PRAYERS. :( :(