Paulding.com

Secretary of the Senate - Frank Eldridge, Jr.

My mother informed me this morning that our dear family friend, Mr. Frank Eldridge, Jr. (Secretary of the Senate for Georgia) died last night in his sleep.

I know no other details at this time.

I have had the privilege of knowing Mr. Eldridge all of my life, for he was a childhood friend of my father. They remained life-long friends. This death has hit my father extremely hard, as he just lost his best friend in December (he had terminal leukemia), and his baby-brother this month (he had terminal lung-disease).

Mr. Eldridge was a good man. We will remember him fondly.

Thank you both. I'm most concerned for how hard this is hitting my father. He will be 75 this May, and I fear these losses have greatly impacted him in such a way that worries me. I wish we lived closer to my parents -- they are 4 1/2 hours away in S. GA. We have hopes of moving back there at some point in the next few years, but right now due to other circumstance it's not happening in the very near future.

Anyway -- thanks for reading and for your kind words.

There is now an AJC article on this:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/sto...obeldridge.html

Former state senator Frank Eldridge dies

Published on: 02/04/06

Frank Eldridge, a fixture at the state Capitol and secretary of the state Senate for 14 years, died early today of an apparent heart attack, a Senate aide said.

Mr. Eldridge, 73, was a state senator for 17 years, ending his service in the early 1980s, and for four years was executive director of the Georgia Public Service Commission, the state's utilities regulator.

In 1993, he returned the Senate, named by Lt. Gov. Pierre Howard as Senate secretary to finish the term of Hamilton McWhorter, who retired.

Mr. Eldridge went on to win re-election every two years as the Senate's administrative officer and unofficial parliamentarian and the official custodian of all of its bills and papers.

A Democrat, Mr. Eldridge continue to win election after Republicans took control of the upper chamber in 2003.

Senate President Pro Tem Eric Johnson (R-Savannah) remembered Mr. Eldridge as a dedicated public servant.

"Every morning, he arrived early at the state Capitol in this old red pickup truck, ready to do what was best for the members of the Senate" Johnson said. "He was a loyal friend who loved to share stories of the old days in the General Assembly and was wise beyond his years on the way the Senate should run."

My mother informed me this morning that our dear family friend, Mr. Frank Eldridge, Jr. (Secretary of the Senate for Georgia) died last night in his sleep.

I know no other details at this time.

I have had the privilege of knowing Mr. Eldridge all of my life, for he was a childhood friend of my father. They remained life-long friends.  This death has hit my father extremely hard, as he just lost his best friend in December (he had terminal leukemia), and his baby-brother this month (he had terminal lung-disease).

Mr. Eldridge was a good man. We will remember him fondly.

This is a great deal of pain for your father to bear. I hope that he can put all these losses behind him quickly.

I am sorry for your loss, SoapMom.

Soapmom, your father must be special to have friends like this.

from BillShipp.com -

Lt. Gov. Mark Taylor said Eldridge "maintained the credibility and the integrity of the legislative process by offering and sharing his personal dignity with all of us. My prayers are with his family."

Eldridge's chief assistant, Bob Ewing, will serve as interim Secretary of the Senate until the Senate names a permanent replacement probably next January.

Eldridge was born July 29, 1932 in Ware County to the late Frank S. Eldridge, Sr. and Zeda Bell Eldridge. He was the owner of the family business, Eldridge Hardware and Building Supply Company, which was started in 1926. He also served on the board of directors of First National Bank and was founder, director and vice chairman of the board of Waycross Bank and Trust.

He was active in numerous community groups in his home town, including the Waycross Exchange Club, the Satilla Livestock Association and the Waycross Shrine Club.

He was a member of First Baptist Church.

Survivors include his wife, Leland Vining Eldridge of Waycross; a son, Pete Eldridge (wife Ann) of Waycross; a daughter, Zeda Sweet (husband Walt Matich) of Blackshear; five grandchildren, Frannie Sweet, Susie Moore (husband Carl), Brooke Eldridge, Kelly Lee (husband Chris), and Schley Eldridge; three great grandchildren, Peyton, Michaela, and Zane; a sister, Margaret Denton of Waycross; and several nieces and nephews.

The funeral will be held at 4 p.m. Monday at the First Baptist Church. Interment will follow in Oakland Cemetery. The family will receive friends 6 until 8 p.m. Sunday at Music Funeral Home.

Members of the Waycross Exchange Club, Waycross Bank and Trust Board of Directors, and of the Georgia Senate will serve as honorary pallbearers. Sympathy may be expressed by signing the online registry at www.musicfuneralhome.com.

Soapmom, your father must be special to have friends like this.

from BillShipp.com -<snip>

My father is a very special man, and yes, he has been blessed with many wonderful friends in his long life.

Thank you for your kind words, and for sharing more about Mr. Eldridge.

My father and mother are in deep mourning right now -- my heart breaks for them right now, and for the Eldridge family. This was most unexpected.

Here is Mr. Eldridge's obit, from the local funeral home who is handling his service:

http://obit.musicfuneralhome.com/obit_disp...listing=Current

I spoke with my mom on the phone this morning; it appears that Frank had a massive heart-attack, which is very surprising as he was a health-nut, and in great shape. She shared several stories about him from their years of friendship.... what a special friend he truly was! He always took the time to call or email from the State Captial to check on my father (he's a stroke patient), he attending my parent's 50th Wedding Anniversary party at their home last September.... she shared with me about Frank trying his darndest to teach my mother how to water ski at Laura Walker Lake in Waycross.... we laughed together over all sorts of older memories. Yes, he truly will be missed.