Paulding.com

Paulding resident Tara Drummond dies in training

Guest publisher

Mark,

Do you really mean what I hilighted in red?  Really?  Do you mean to tell me that an officer killed in a non-violent, classroom atmosphere dies just as valiantly as an officer killed in a shootout?  Come on Mark.  That's a silly statement.  You're a more reasonable person that that.  I know it won't enhance ones popularity to agree with me, but, am I wrong or just a mean and insensitive a-whole? 

Personally, I'd rather be thought of as a reasonable person that a nice person.

My husband is a Police Motor Officer and came very close to dying 18 months ago on duty when a driver crossed the centerline and hit him head on while he was on his police motorcyle. He has since spent 120 days in the hospital, had 10 surgeries, had to be medically retired, and will be disabled for the rest of his life. Were his extensive injuries in the line of duty? Of course they were - even if it didn't happen in a confrontation with a "bad guy." He was performing his duties as a public servant. Is Officer Tara Drummond's death any less of a line-of duty situation? Absolutely not! She was performing her duties as a public servant. Those of you who disagree cannot understand the lives of a law enforcement officer. It can only be described as a calling -- a passion. And the reality is that they are doing something the rest of us can't...or won't do...for that alone they deserve the honors given to them when they die. And Officer Drummond may have never "faced the bad guys," but she was willing to do so! She was willing to place herself in a world that is more dangerous just by the very nature of wearing a badge and carrying a gun. Don't you dare diminish her calling, her courage, her life just because God's plan was different than what she planned. She would have been WILLING to die for YOU or any other civilian had the situation called for that. I doubt that same can be said for you. Those of us in the law enforcement family do not expect others like you to understand...they are officers 24/7/365 on and off duty. And to say the death of an officer, in uniform, in training, at a law enforcement facility is any less deserving of full honors than a death on the streets only shows your lack of understanding and your lack of appreciation for these heros. You see, Tara was my niece...and I just returned to Arizona from her funeral...and for a second time, my family has been deeply affected by answering the unselfish calling into law enforcement. You might want to take a step back and re-evaluate your position...Tara and her brothers and sisters in blue are the only thing that stand between a civilized society and chaos. I thank God every day for those who are brave enough to answer the unselfish call into public service. They deserve every honor we can give them upon their deaths!

And to those of you who have been begging for respect and honor for Tara on this site...thank you from my broken heart!

Edited by AzMom
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Awesome post! God bless Tara and her family.

My husband is a Police Motor Officer and came very close to dying 18 months ago on duty when a driver crossed the centerline and hit him head on while he was on his police motorcyle.  He has since spent 120 days in the hospital, had 10 surgeries, had to be medically retired, and will be disabled for the rest of his life.  Were his extensive injuries in the line of duty?  Of course they were - even if it didn't happen in a confrontation with a "bad guy."  He was performing his duties as a public servant.  Is Officer Tara Drummond's death any less of a line-of duty situation?  Absolutely not!  She was performing her duties as a public servant.  Those of you who disagree cannot understand the lives of a law enforcement officer.  It can only be described as a calling -- a passion.  And the reality is that they are doing something the rest of us can't...or won't do...for that alone they deserve the honors given to them when they die.  And Officer Drummond may have never "faced the bad guys," but she was willing to do so!  She was willing to place herself in a world that is more dangerous just by the very nature of wearing a badge and carrying a gun. Don't you dare diminish her calling, her courage, her life just because God's plan was different than what she planned.  She would have been WILLING to die for YOU or any other civilian had the situation called for that.  I doubt that same can be said for you.  Those of us in the law enforcement family do not expect others like you to understand...they are officers 24/7/365 on and off duty.  And to say the death of an officer, in uniform, in training, at a law enforcement facility is any less deserving of full honors than a death on the streets only shows your lack of understanding and your lack of appreciation for these heros.  You see, Tara was my niece...and I just returned to Arizona from her funeral...and for a second time, my family has been deeply affected by answering the unselfish calling into law enforcement.  You might want to take a step back and re-evaluate your position...Tara and her brothers and sisters in blue are the only thing that stand between a civilized society and chaos.  I thank God every day for those who are brave enough to answer the unselfish call into public service.  They deserve every honor we can give them upon their deaths!

And to those of you who have been begging for respect and honor for Tara on this site...thank you from my broken heart!

Guest publisher

Smitty's POV is no doubt baised and based on the political spin that Max Cleland wasn't a real hero because the grenade he fell on didn't come from the enemy.

The reality that on duty doing the job is on duty doing the job. The firefighter in the Twin Towers was on duty doing the job. Even the civilian secretary, sale reps and delivery guys in the twin towers on 911 were on duty doing their jobs yet they are heros. The folks on flight 73 ... guess what, they were on duty doing their jobs.

I can hear Smitty saying ... but, but, ... and certainly there is an attitude where you've got to be out front and on TV for it to be 'real' ... but the greater understanding comes from an actuarial view.

If you were an actuary, you'd say there are 1,000,000 police nationwide. In any given year, .0000002 percent will die of an accidental shooting in a training environment. Another .00001 will die in auto or transportation accidents, another .00001 will die in confrontations with bad guys but overall .000022 will die in the line of duty.

Why would each death be equally heroic?

It is simple; if all the drivers don't drive the miles the hero officer is not on the scene to confront the bad guy. They're instead all sitting back at HQ afraid to jump in the car because .00002 of them ARE going to die.

Also, they wouldn't even try for job because, while a small risk, it is almost certainty that one or two officers a year will give their lives during training so that all the officers have training and the one 'hero' is prepared to match and beat the criminal. Without all taking training with the known fact that some one somewhere will die because of it; no one would be trained.

There is a camaraderie that comes with any noble or great undertaking.

For instance, those who built the Brooklyn Bridge or the Golden Gate Bridge also have their hero's ... the guys that found ... and paid for the engineer's mistakes with their lives. Smitty you may say the guys ... and there were many ... who died from the bendz working on the floor of the Hudson River in diving bells were stupid; but the reality is that their experience, their deaths have paved the way for other heros such as today's modern Navy Seals.

It is the job that Tara Drummond did that is heroic and it is from the moment they take the oath... and as long as they abide by it.

{Demonization 101} Smitty's POV is no doubt baised and based on the political spin... 

You are the one bringing politics into this, not me. And Pubby, your pretention to be non-partisan is still, and will continue to be laughable.

Spin? I simply comment truthfully with demonstable opinion, and it's spin. When a Conservative shares an opinion--shared by others who happen to be smart enough not to divulge it herein--it has to be spin when the Liberal can't sensibly counter the opinion. To pile on in this atmosphere with a virtual gag order on dissenting opinions is at least as tasteless as my decision to voice my opinion, but for different reasons of course. My prodigious tastelessness comes from a choice to voice a dissenting opinion (Do I need to point out that my disagreement was with the newspaper's headline? Yes, I realize this fact is irrelevant in this demonizing atmosphere.) in the presence of mourners. Pubby's tastelessness "--no doubt--" comes from the heart of a political opportunist with a desire to pile-on a political opponent when and because he's sure he'll be appreciated for it, despite my opinion having merit. Pubby, if you don't have a personal dog in this race, then double-shame on you. ...Spare me the claim that you have a stake in this because you're in Pauling County.

It's my opinion that Pubby realizes he has little hope to gain ground politically in a "normal" debate, so he's left little more opportunity than to politicize, and pile-on in a practical freebee where I'm at a severe emotionally charged disadvantage. You go Pubby! Family and friends of Tara Drummond: your emotions might cloud your senses at this time, but realize that y'all's loss is being used by Pubby for his personal gain. It's no secret that I've vigorously and effectively opposed Pubby's political views on this board.

No person who cares about their popularity will assist me in this and surely Pubby knows it. I'm ok with that. It's why I said [paraphrased if not an exact quote] "Im going to say it..." I have the guts to do what others won't, and I'm the "coward--" a title I was given in this thread.

Not that the person who called me a coward cares or wants my forgiveness, but you have it. And no, I don't think you created a new account to say what you said, just in case it didn't work out like you wanted it to--so as to maintain the status of your usual account. If you really are new, then welcome...if Pubby will grant me the priviledge of welcoming his guest to his Site.

Note that--and it's pitiful this needs to be pointed out--that no amount of "I think smitty's a jerk" testimony will prove that others don't share my opinion.

The reality that on duty doing the job is on duty doing the job. The firefighter in the Twin Towers was on duty doing the job. Even the civilian secretary, sale reps and delivery guys in the twin towers on 911 were on duty doing their jobs yet they are heros.  The folks on flight 73 ... guess what, they were on duty doing their jobs.
It was Flight 93. But otherwise I agree: these people were on duty.

I can hear Smitty saying ... but, but, ... and certainly there is an attitude where you've got to be out front and on TV for it to be 'real' ... but the greater understanding comes from an actuarial view.

No "buts."

If you were an actuary, you'd say there are 1,000,000 police nationwide.  In any given year, .0000002 percent will die of an accidental shooting in a training environment.  Another .00001 will die in auto or transportation accidents, another .00001 will die in confrontations with bad guys but overall .000022 will die in the line of duty.
Ah, there's the spin. (I hate repeating myself, but sometimes one has to.) It is my opinion that the title, "killed in the line of duty" should be reserved for those officers who died violently protecting others--like in a shoot-out.

Why would each death be equally heroic?

It is simple; if all the drivers don't drive the miles the hero officer is not on the scene to confront the bad guy.  They're instead all sitting back at HQ afraid to jump in the car because .00002 of them ARE going to die.

I'm not sure, but I think you're being sarcastic.

Also, they wouldn't even try for job because, while a small risk, it is almost certainty that one or two officers a year will give their lives during training so that all the officers have training and the one 'hero' is prepared to match and beat the criminal.  Without all taking training with the known fact that some one somewhere will die because of it; no one would be trained.
Give their lives? The friends and family might be compelled to deny or counter this: I can't imagine a good person or a bad person agreeing to allow an instructor to shoot that person just to show the other trainees what can happen if gun safety "laws" are ignored. One must choose to give, Pubby. Otherwise it's taken. As wonderful as this person must have been (zero sarcasm,) I can't imagine she would have given her life for this. That is your point...Right?

I can see where a mourner would believe what you wrote--would want to believe it to relieve the hurt--but I can't believe you've made such an empty point so eloquently for the apparent cause of demonizing me.

...snip...{Demonization 102} Smitty you may say the guys ... and there were many ...  who died from the bendz working on the floor of the Hudson River in diving bells were stupid...snip...

I would say they were more ignorant than stupid. Based on what I've said in this thread, why would you think that I'd think these divers were stupid? Shame on you for insinuating that I think Tara Drummond was stupid for wanting to be a police officer. I don't appreciate being demonized by a Liberal, but I do fully expect it when there's nothing concrete to cite.

It is the job that Tara Drummond did that is heroic and it is from the moment they take the oath... and as long as they abide by it.

Being a police officer = being a hero? That's a wild stretch. But of course it's ok for you to say it--and to generally demonize me--because in this light, it's very unlikely that any one will call you on it. But of course that's what this piling on is about.

Thanks for reading this.

Nothing makes him different.  I'm sure this opinion will get me in trouble and bashed but, I'll state it anyway.  He was a man of law...he protected and trained, he lived for others...it's obvious this was an accident.  Should he have pointed a gun, no...shoulda, coulda, woulda...the past can't be changed.  The future must now be faced and I hope it isn't a charge of manslaughter. 

You or I?  Well, you don't know me, I don't know you.

I would hope if this goes to the Grand Jury, he would be acquited, find peace within his heart and move forward teaching/protecting citizens again.

My 2 cents only.

Well - I do not want to pile on here but bringing a loaded gun into a classroom and using it for a training drill sounds worse than an accident, it sounds like it might be criminal negligence. I do not have all the facts so I will stop short of placing blame, but it is hard to discount the fact that his gun was loaded and it shot and killed Tara. He may very well be a great person, but that does not change the fact that his actions caused the death of another. As fasn8nmom said, if my firearm discharged and killed an innocent person, I would most likely face legal and civil charges. I doubt the fact that he is a policeman will change matters.

Still - all of this is water under the bridge. She was obviously a great person who was loved and will be missed by many. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and the other officer's family.

Frist and foremost I want to thank all of you who have left post's regarding how wonderful Tara was. I am one of her bestfriends. To smitty let me say that you are the most disrespectful person that i have ever known. How dare you post on this borad and talk about tara as though she did not die a hero. Let me remind you that without men and WOMEN that have the desire to become LEO's and FF where would we all be. These incredible people risk there lifes everyday for us. You not only disrespect them but you Disrespect my best friend. So go and take a long walk off a short cliff......... As her family and friends we do not want to read your views we want to find comfort in knowing how many people were touched by Tara who was so beautiful and caring and a amazing person I will ever have the privileg to know. So for the sake of her family and firends just SHUT UP...... you are worthless

Tara was my best friend I have known her since i was 14 she was one of those people who could make you laugh till your sides hurt. I will miss her everyday for the rest of my life. So please give her your respect.... We are all missing her and we can never have her back. So please leave your horribile and hurtful comments off this board. thank you to everyone who have left messages for her family please keep all of us in your prayers we are going to need them.

When a Conservative shares an opinion--shared by others who happen to be smart enough not to divulge it herein--it has to be spin when the Liberal can't sensibly counter the opinion. 

Your original comment was that you didn't believe the newpaper headline depicting Tara's death to be in the "Line of Duty" to be accurate. Line of Duty is defined as: all that is normally required in some area of responsibility. Basic mandate training is not only normally required of a peace officer in this state, it is required. She was attending the academy because she wanted to be a police officer and in order to be one, she had to complete the training which is by definition "in the line of duty". We as police officers do not draw an imaginary line in the sand somewhere and say anything on this side is honorable while anything on that side if just tough luck. Tara died as a hero in the line of duty.

I'm a conservative and I'm sharing my opinion. And not only am I smart, I am brilliant beyond belief......modest too.

In the time that we live you can be shot teaching a classroom, delivering a pizza or working in a post office. Everyone should mourn all those who die. It is still another life cut short. I knew Tara in high school and it is very sad that I will not see her at our reunions. We also had someone in our graduating class who was killed because he was in with the wrong crowd, either way their deaths are tragic.

To Smitty, from someone who knew that family before they left Texas, I suppose you think you're important, getting all these replies, I think you're a miserable piece of crap and a coward, that i'd like to kick your butt myself, but that'd look bad since i'm a woman....  but that is a great family, and Tara was a great young lady...I know the circumstances that she was raised in, and how she came to be in this world.  She had a young mother that was just as brave as she was and endured a lot of tragedies to make it to where she was.  And, although I've never been on this site before tonite, i can tell a lonely, miserable coward like you has no clue as to what this is all about.

Signing off in Texas

WELL SAID

• 1 year later...
OK, I'll say it: Being accidentally shot in a classroom isn't what I'd call "dying in the line of duty." It's sad, it's tragic, but she didn't die in a shootout or a car chase with the enemies of society. I think to jump through our butts and to climb over each other to honor this person in the light of "ultimate sacrifice--" dying in the line of duty--reduces the recognition of those who really did die violently while protecting others. I genuinely and sincerely appreciate her desire to serve, but we may as well have the same reaction for those officers who have died in car wrecks, while in uniform, but returning home from work.

YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT KNOW THE WHOLE STORY MR!!!!!!she was shot by a man who was supposed to have a fake toylike gun but he had a real one and it justt happened to be tara SHE WASNT THE FRIST ONE IN THE LINE i no this because i was a close friend but the point is this could be classified as murder!!!

YOU OBVIOUSLY DONT KNOW THE WHOLE STORY MR!!!!!!she was shot by a man who was supposed to have a fake toylike gun but he had a real one and it justt happened to be tara SHE WASNT THE FRIST ONE IN THE LINE i no this because i was a close friend but the point is this could be classified as murder!!!

After a little over a year since Tara's unintentional shooting, I'm amazed at how many folks I still meet who don't know the details and facts. Even among the Law Enforcement Community, there is a lack of information. No one wants to perpetuate gossip and no one wants to dishonor law enforcement as a whole.

Possibly someday, all of the details will be known by all.