Paulding.com

Paulding resident Tara Drummond dies in training

Guest publisher

OK, I'll say it: Being accidentally shot in a classroom isn't what I'd call "dying in the line of duty."  It's sad, it's tragic, but she didn't die in a shootout or a car chase with the enemies of society.  I think to jump through our butts and to climb over each other to honor this person in the light of "ultimate sacrifice--" dying in the line of duty--reduces the recognition of those who really did die violently while protecting others.  I genuinely and sincerely appreciate her desire to serve, but we may as well have the same reaction for those officers who have died in car wrecks, while in uniform, but returning home from work.

This is an idiot............. :angry: :angry: :angry:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, I'll say it: Being accidentally shot in a classroom isn't what I'd call "dying in the line of duty."  It's sad, it's tragic, but she didn't die in a shootout or a car chase with the enemies of society.  I think to jump through our butts and to climb over each other to honor this person in the light of "ultimate sacrifice--" dying in the line of duty--reduces the recognition of those who really did die violently while protecting others.  I genuinely and sincerely appreciate her desire to serve, but we may as well have the same reaction for those officers who have died in car wrecks, while in uniform, but returning home from work.

It's getting pretty cold in here! Do ya'll feel that draft? <_<

To Smitty, from someone who knew that family before they left Texas, I suppose you think you're important, getting all these replies, I think you're a miserable piece of crap and a coward, that i'd like to kick your butt myself, but that'd look bad since i'm a woman.... but that is a great family, and Tara was a great young lady...I know the circumstances that she was raised in, and how she came to be in this world. She had a young mother that was just as brave as she was and endured a lot of tragedies to make it to where she was. And, although I've never been on this site before tonite, i can tell a lonely, miserable coward like you has no clue as to what this is all about.

Signing off in Texas

First off - who gives a crap about your so called "popularity" on this board....that is NOT what the point is about this....For the people who know me, my friends, I am a reasonable person - and very down to earth and sensable.  In this situation, however, even though I knew Tara, would not change my opinion that any officer should have full honors...even if it was joe blow do the road, and even if they had just started on their first day of training...they deserve it...they took a chance to put themselves in the "line of fire" so to speak - to get out and protect us and our community...WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?  Have you thought about being a police officer or EMT or firefighter?  What about an officer that has a desk job, who basically works "behind the scenes" and someone god for bid, comes in and starts shooting....what doyou think he deserves??? NOTHING?????

To Smitty, from someone who knew that family before they left Texas, I suppose you think you're important, getting all these replies, I think you're a miserable piece of crap and a coward, that i'd like to kick your butt myself, but that'd look bad since i'm a woman....  but that is a great family, and Tara was a great young lady...I know the circumstances that she was raised in, and how she came to be in this world.  She had a young mother that was just as brave as she was and endured a lot of tragedies to make it to where she was.  And, although I've never been on this site before tonite, i can tell a lonely, miserable coward like you has no clue as to what this is all about.

Signing off in Texas

:o WOW!

That's what you get smitty. You truly asked for it. You should have kept that trap shut. Don't cross the line when it comes to tragic deaths. Their friends and family (and the community) will get you everytime. You should've known better. <_<

To Smitty, from someone who knew that family before they left Texas, I suppose you think you're important, getting all these replies, I think you're a miserable piece of crap and a coward, that i'd like to kick your butt myself, but that'd look bad since i'm a woman....  but that is a great family, and Tara was a great young lady...I know the circumstances that she was raised in, and how she came to be in this world.  She had a young mother that was just as brave as she was and endured a lot of tragedies to make it to where she was.  And, although I've never been on this site before tonite, i can tell a lonely, miserable coward like you has no clue as to what this is all about.

Signing off in Texas

I am sorry to hear of the loss of this dear family friend of yours. My thoughts and prayers are with you all!

Smitty, GET A LIFE!! You obviously are a chickens**t who takes the security of living in this great country and community for granted. How dare you?? I guess you think that just because you pay taxes you should recieve special treatment from the police. Well buddy, you are wrong. I have carried a badge and a gun and I personally feel that doing so is a calling and the sacrifices made are of devine inspiration. It is never about the money or choices. It is about Shakespear's line "To thine own self be true." Tara is a hero and I know that the world is a better place just because she was in it ( No, I had never met her). What have you done? ( please don't mention monetary donations to charities). I am talking blood, sweat, and tears: Standing on that firing line for the first time, EVOC, defensive tactics (so tired you do not think you can drag your arm to protect yourself), etc. I must apologize for the lack of organization in this post but I am MAD, DISGUSTED and APPALLED at the comments from a person who will never be able to fathom "the calling." By the way Smitty, I am not asking for a reply, the question is purely for you pondering. And as for why I don't work in LE now, I am attempting to enforce laws on a higher level, as a prosecutor.

I worked with Tara at CFD from 2000-2001. Spent many hours chatting during and after work over coffee and kept in touch via email after I moved out of state to North Carolina. Made it a point to see her when I would come down to visit my friends and family, found her fashion advice invaluable :)

I'm honored for every second of my life that I knew her and my only regret is that I did not know her sooner. She had often told me she wanted to be a detective, specifically in the FBI, and I always thought she was exactly the type of person we would do well to have watching our collective backsides, genuinely caring, honest, and dedicated.

We're all dying, every second of every day. Tara was someone who instictively knew how to find life in every breath, vibrant and alive even in repose. I'll miss her.

i heard on the radio this morning that the "INSTRUCTOR" was a 10 year veteran of training recruits and he forgot to unload his weapon.  which as an "INSTRUCTOR" u would think he would remember such a number one rule in teaching, u know him being an "INSTRUCTOR" and all.

i think he should face manslaughter charges my self.

Sounds like you got some bad info, the story is much more complicated than that. Dont depend on the news media. For those that wonder, Ms. Drummond was a sworn peace officer. She was at the academy to gain arrest powers. Since she was sworn that made her "on duty" doing police work when she died. For those that are trying to label her death watch tv Saturday. See if other LEO consider this a line of duty death. That was a sad day, I will never forget it.

Edited by ray98
i think he should face manslaughter charges my self.

HOW DARE YOU!!!! At this point, that is all I can say...think of what this poor man is having to go through!!!! I can't even imagine. He made a mistake! Granted it was a tragic one, but manslaughter??? I suppose you also think our "hero" who shot the rapist in Acworth should be tried for Murder too? From what I am hearing, the man is already in very poor shape mentally from this whole tradgedy and has not spoke w/ anyone regarding this. He is probably in shock, has great sadness sadness, and even embarrasment and he needs our support to pull through this! I will support him 100 percent, I am sure that Tara probably would herself! I hope to God, you never ever make a mistake and need people's understanding to help you get through it. SICK, SICK, SICK!!! :angry2:

HOW DARE YOU!!!!  At this point, that is all I can say...think of what this poor man is having to go through!!!!  I can't even imagine.  He made a mistake!  Granted it was a tragic one, but manslaughter???  I suppose you also think our "hero"  who shot the rapist in Acworth should be tried for Murder too?  From what I am hearing, the man is already in very poor shape mentally from this whole tradgedy and has not spoke w/ anyone regarding this.  He is probably in shock, has great sadness sadness, and even embarrasment and he needs our support to pull through this!  I will support him 100 percent, I am sure that Tara probably would herself!  I hope to God, you never ever make a mistake and need people's understanding to help you get through it.  SICK, SICK, SICK!!! :angry2:

i heard through a fireman relative the same information, so i do not limit things i hear on tv or on this web page. but the man did break a major rule at the academy by having a loaded weapon and using it for teaching. anybody that has ever handled a weapon you do not point ANY WEAPON AT ANYBODY. which is apparently what he did.

Smitty - like I said earlier in my posts - I like to get the last word, so hear it goes...You did not know Tara, you did not know her family, friends, what she was made of....if you did - you- I can honestly say -would not be a friend- - that too may be cold hearted, I just can NOT believe that you would come on here and say the things you said - yes, it is your opinion, but you need to learn when to keep your MOUTH SHUT - there are times to talk and times to shut up....that is a valuable lesson - and I hope from all of these wonderful posts about TARA that you will keep it in mind for the next time you want to voice your so called opinion - also get your facts straight before you decide to post - maybe that way you won't be looked at like a total fool...how is that for popualrity????

I can tell you that no matter what your opinion as a lay person may be about Tara's sacrifice, my brothers and sisters all feel the loss just as deeply as if she had died as a result of a "shoot out" or other violent criminal encounter. How she was taken from us in no way diminishes the fact that she will not achieve her dream of being a police officer and I for one will miss having her as a sister.

No one who dedicates themselves to the service of others will ever feel that Tara's sacrifice was any less valiant than those who gave their lives to an adversary.

The bottom line is that she chose to put on the uniform and dedicate herself to a cause that was greater than herself and that is why those of us in law enforcement will honor her as one of our own.

I can tell you that no matter what your opinion as a lay person may be about Tara's sacrifice, my brothers and sisters all feel the loss just as deeply as if she had died as a result of a "shoot out" or other violent criminal encounter.  How she was taken from us in no way diminishes the fact that she will not achieve her dream of being a police officer and I for one will miss having her as a sister.

No one who dedicates themselves to the service of others will ever feel that Tara's sacrifice was any less valiant than those who gave their lives to an adversary. 

The bottom line is that she chose to put on the uniform and dedicate herself to a cause that was greater than herself and that is why those of us in law enforcement will honor her as one of our own.

Well Said......

I can tell you that no matter what your opinion as a lay person may be about Tara's sacrifice, my brothers and sisters all feel the loss just as deeply as if she had died as a result of a "shoot out" or other violent criminal encounter.  How she was taken from us in no way diminishes the fact that she will not achieve her dream of being a police officer and I for one will miss having her as a sister.

AMEN!

I would like to say she was my friend and if I ever seen her out in public she would stop me and say hello. She was a sweet woman to me. I am 20 and when we meet I was 14 at the time, we worked at CFD. She always talked about being wanting to go into the academy and such. Well and for that I called her my role model. But even though she is deceased, I will still call her my role model as I did 6 years ago. She did succeed and went and was doing what she loved to do. I will miss her deeply. As I said before Tara was my friend and I will miss her.

I went to the funeral home last night for visitation. Tara looked beautiful and at rest. I had never met her parents before last night. They are an amazing, loving pair. I can see where Tara got all of her incredible qualities from. They love the Lord and I think that is the main thing that is helping them through this right now. They are members of West Ridge Church and said that the support from their church, home teams, and friends has been amazing. Please pray for them as they go through this time of mourning. They know that this is not the last time they will see Tara. They will one day be reunited with her. I'm sure the first thing Tara heard was "Well done my good and faithful servant".

On each side of Tara stands an officer. To the left stands an officer of the Kennesaw Police Department. To the right stands an officer of the Paulding Sheriff's Department. It was so touching to see the officers there standing in attention. Ever so often, the officers would change who stood at her side. They did so with a salute. It made me realize even more how much Tara meant to all she met.

Out of respect for Tara and her family and friends, can we please keep this thread about Tara and honor her life? Let's post our prayers and memories about her. Let's not critique her or take away from the life she lived or define her death. Tara went to be with the Lord. She is a daughter of the King, and she is standing with Him at this very moment.

My prayers go out to the family and friends of Tara Drummond and those of officer Jackson.

I went to the funeral home last night for visitation. Tara looked beautiful and at rest. I had never met her parents before last night.  They are an amazing, loving pair.  I can see where Tara got all of her incredible qualities from.  They love the Lord and I think that is the main thing that is helping them through this right now. They are members of West Ridge Church and said that the support from their church, home teams, and friends has been amazing. Please pray for them as they go through this time of mourning. They know that this is not the last time they will see Tara. They will one day be reunited with her. I'm sure the first thing Tara heard was "Well done my good and faithful servant".

On each side of Tara stands an officer. To the left stands an officer of the Kennesaw Police Department. To the right stands an officer of the Paulding Sheriff's Department.  It was so touching to see the officers there standing in attention. Ever so often, the officers would change who stood at her side. They did so with a salute.  It made me realize even more how much Tara meant to all she met.

Out of respect for Tara and her family and friends, can we please keep this thread about Tara and honor her life? Let's post our prayers and memories about her. Let's not critique her or take away from the life she lived or define her death. Tara went to be with the Lord.  She is a daughter of the King, and she is standing with Him at this very moment.

My prayers go out to the family and friends of Tara Drummond and those of officer Jackson.

Very Touching (going to get tissues) thank you for sharing this MissNatalie!

I went to the funeral home last night for visitation. Tara looked beautiful and at rest. I had never met her parents before last night.  They are an amazing, loving pair.  I can see where Tara got all of her incredible qualities from.  They love the Lord and I think that is the main thing that is helping them through this right now. They are members of West Ridge Church and said that the support from their church, home teams, and friends has been amazing. Please pray for them as they go through this time of mourning. They know that this is not the last time they will see Tara. They will one day be reunited with her. I'm sure the first thing Tara heard was "Well done my good and faithful servant".

On each side of Tara stands an officer. To the left stands an officer of the Kennesaw Police Department. To the right stands an officer of the Paulding Sheriff's Department.  It was so touching to see the officers there standing in attention. Ever so often, the officers would change who stood at her side. They did so with a salute.  It made me realize even more how much Tara meant to all she met.

Out of respect for Tara and her family and friends, can we please keep this thread about Tara and honor her life? Let's post our prayers and memories about her. Let's not critique her or take away from the life she lived or define her death. Tara went to be with the Lord.  She is a daughter of the King, and she is standing with Him at this very moment.

Nicely said.....

I'm wondering why people continue to harrass those on this post that are paying condolences and showing respect for those involved in this incident? We all wonder what happened, or how this could happen, but it doesn't change the fact that it did happen and now the rumors, the gossip, and the fighting on here certainly don't solve anything - Tara is gone, and though I did not know her I have learned of her now from so many (my own son included!) and some of what I have learned is that she was young, she was bright, she was enthusiastic, she was everything an up and coming officer should hope to be but now she is gone; and another officer, someone I do know and I can't begin to imagine what he is going through, a man who has dedicated his life, a lot more years in than just the 10 he spent in training, to serving, protecting, helping - well he's gone too, maybe not like Tara, but this is not something he'll just walk away from. He has family, Tara has family - ALL are affected immensly by this. Then you have to consider the other recruits/officers in the room that day, and all their families, all the lives touched by this tragedy; all the lives that need our support - and the rumors, gossip and fighting do nothing to aid them in their grief. Can we not just let Tara rest in peace, and honor her for who and what she was; Can we not just let those investigating the incident do their job without all the armchair quarterbacking going on? I'm begging you all - please, please, please - stop, think, and show a little respect, please.

I know Tara's sister has been a rock of stability. What a wonderful, kind, and awesome young lady. I am honored to have been associated with her and her parents. I hope people will remember them all in their prayers. The family will need them as the weeks and months go on. God Bless the Drummonds..

And your point???? I don't see anything in there about him needing to be tried for manslaughter. I see where it states live amunition is a "no no"...I never said it wasn't. I don't even recall agreeing w/ the fact that he pointed a gun, my issue is w/ your comment about him needing to face Manslaughter charges. I think he has/will suffer enough for what has happened...why press the issue? It was a tragic ACCIDENT!

Yes she did look awesome last night. I know the family has appreciated the outpouring of love. They are very strong in their faith. Being a Christian is something the family can hold onto. They will see Tara again. I know her "best friend" knows that!-God Bless you and your family tomorrow BD..

Edited by NewHope

I was very saddened when I heard about of this event on the news several days ago. But yesterday I learned that Tara was the daughter of a long time business customer and friend. My heart is broken for Tara's family. Then on WSB news last night, I also found out that I knew the Deputy involved. I worked with Al for many years, and his life will never be the same either. He was a dedicated long time member of the Cobb County Sheriff's Office.

My thoughts and prayers go out to both families! This was nothing more then a very horrible accident that has devastated two families and many around them.

HOW DARE YOU!!!!  At this point, that is all I can say...think of what this poor man is having to go through!!!!  I can't even imagine.  He made a mistake!  Granted it was a tragic one, but manslaughter???  I suppose you also think our "hero"  who shot the rapist in Acworth should be tried for Murder too?  From what I am hearing, the man is already in very poor shape mentally from this whole tradgedy and has not spoke w/ anyone regarding this.  He is probably in shock, has great sadness sadness, and even embarrasment and he needs our support to pull through this!  I will support him 100 percent, I am sure that Tara probably would herself!  I hope to God, you never ever make a mistake and need people's understanding to help you get through it.  SICK, SICK, SICK!!! :angry2:

I am sure this man is devastated however, if it were me or you who "accidentally" shot and killed someone WE WOULD FACE CHARGES!!!!!!!

What makes him any different?

My thoughts are with Tara Drummond and her family. I never met Tara but she sounded like a wonderful young woman and I would have welcomed her with open arms into the family of law enforcement just like any other officer on here would. From her photo and the words said about her here, I can tell that she was not only physically beautiful but had a beautiful heart and soul as well. And most importantly, she wanted to serve her fellow man. And from our standpoint, I believe it will be hard to find any law enforcement officer who would differentiate Tara's death from the death of an officer killed in a violent confrontation with the criminal element. In both cases a good person died after deciding to devote their life to public service. Whether they die violently at the hands of a bad guy, in an auto accident or in a training environment is inconsequential. She died doing what she wanted to do: serving the rest of us. And for that we should all honor her memory.

I also know Al Jackson very well. Al is a great man who lives and breathes to train police recruits in a manner which will keep them alive on the streets while also showing them the importance of their position in society. He always gives a speech to graduating recruits which is eloquent and frames their role as shepherds protecting their flock from the evil predators prowling society. Not only did he do everything he could to train recruits, he loved them like a father loves a child. What happened on September 13th will haunt Al for the rest of his life. The case will be presented to the Cobb County District Attorney's Office, and I assume the grand jury, so that the people of Cobb County can decide whether Al's actions rise to the level of a criminal offense. None of us can know what the outcome of that process will be and we shouldn't assume to be able to predict the outcome. Even if he is cleared by the grand jury, I don't know if he will ever return to the profession he loves because his feelings of guilt may bar him from ever pinning his star on again. But I do know this. If he doesn't return, it will be a great loss to law enforcement.

My heart goes out to Tara's family and friends. I also grieve for Al Jackson, the staff of the North Central Georgia Law Enforcement Academy and the men and women of the Kennesaw Police Department.

I am sure this man is devastated however, if it were me or you who "accidentally" shot and killed someone WE WOULD FACE CHARGES!!!!!!!

What makes him any different?

Nothing makes him different. I'm sure this opinion will get me in trouble and bashed but, I'll state it anyway. He was a man of law...he protected and trained, he lived for others...it's obvious this was an accident. Should he have pointed a gun, no...shoulda, coulda, woulda...the past can't be changed. The future must now be faced and I hope it isn't a charge of manslaughter.

You or I? Well, you don't know me, I don't know you.

I would hope if this goes to the Grand Jury, he would be acquited, find peace within his heart and move forward teaching/protecting citizens again.

My 2 cents only.

:o  WOW!

That's what you get smitty.  You truly asked for it.  You should have kept that trap shut.  Don't cross the line when it comes to tragic deaths.  Their friends and family (and the community) will get you everytime.  You should've known better. <_<

I hear you and I understand. I'm OK with it.

Fair.  In my opinion, she deserves to be honored for the reasons you cite here, and not because she was "killed in the line of duty."  Again in my opinion, that level of honor should be reserved for the POs FFs etc. who die violently while/for protecting others. 

Peace apsmome.  And sincerely, thanks for putting up with me...I sincerely mean that.

I thought I'd place a comment here as I've never seen this board til tonight. I am a freind and neighbor of the Drummonds and know them all as a wonderful God fearing family and among the finest people I have ever known.

Tara invariably touched the lives of everyone who knew her at all, in a positive way. She had the kind of enthusiastic personality that you just couldn't help being touched by, it and that smile she had.

If she was in uniform on a beat or in a classroom it is in the line of duty it's that simple and has nothing to do with what you are doing at the time. If you're on the clock, you're on duty. Furthermore, this is not the place to argue that point and it is most absolutely NOT the time.

I consider it in extremely poor taste that "Smitty" would post all that at a time like this, have you no honor man? It appears you are an insensitive, and selfish person according to the content of your posts and you seem to me to be one of those people that is so opinionated that you post just to read your own words and share your self percieved wisdom with all.

We can all get by without your negative comments of someone you don't even know. In fact just because you have the right to burn the flag doesn't mean you should, likewise you should refrain from posting the type of drivel you so far have so thoughtlessly put upon all who read here. There is a time and place for everything it's been said and this is neither. Just poor manners to the extreme.

Finally, on your tombstone and mine there will ultimately be two dates seperated by a dash. Those dates are inconsequential, but what you do with that time that the dash represents is. She spent her dash well touching people in a positive fashion as do every member of her family with the love of God as the driving factor. Smitty, I would invite you to examine what you do with yours. Is it wisest to get on here and say hurtful and unnecessary things, even risking the chance that her parents may read this and be further disturbed?

I think you know the answer to that. Please don't stir the pot, this ain't talk radio and sometimes in life it's best to keep our opinions to ourselves as there is no logical reason to expound our negative or controversial opinions at the sacrifice and expense of the feelings and emotions of others; especially on a subject, circumstance, and time such as this with peoples lives involved the way they are.

If you would like to know what I mean about that love of God statement, come by Westridge Church this Sunday and you'll see it in plain view. Service is held in the East Paulding H.S. gym at 8:15, 10:00, and 11:45 see you there.

This is one of many beautiful posts on this thread. I hope some will read it again, and take it to heart.

Edited by Roswell

I am one of Tara's best friends. I have known and loved her for 11 years. words can't express how broken and hurt all of us are by this horrible situation. I have debated weither to post on here because to justify some of these comments is riduculous,But I feel that i must say something. I would like you to remember that we as Tara's friends lost something that we can never get back the love and future of one of the most wonderful,vibrant,sprited woman I have ever known. I can only speak for myself and my sister we are tried of hearing about the man that took her life we don't care how he feels. It was a stupid dumb lack of a better word idiotic thing that happened. We Only want to hear about Tara and the life she lead as a wonderful human being. Please respect Tara for what she was at least for now as we are still greifing for her thank you for all the wonderful thoughts and posts that comment on how awesome she is please keep them up.

See the thing is this smitty,your a cop 24 hours a day 7 days a week.Your subject to call anytime.She was performing a function related directly to her job,now she gave the ultimate sacrafice. :(

Smitty it is a union that is strong and if you were in law enforcement you would understand.

I'm wondering why people continue to harrass those on this post that are paying condolences and showing respect for those involved in this incident?  We all wonder what happened, or how this could happen, but it doesn't change the fact that it did happen and now the rumors, the gossip, and the fighting on here certainly don't solve anything - Tara is gone, and though I did not know her I have learned of her now from so many (my own son included!) and some of what I have learned is that she was young, she was bright, she was enthusiastic, she was everything an up and coming officer should hope to be but now she is gone; and another officer, someone I do know and I can't begin to imagine what he is going through, a man who has dedicated his life, a lot more years in than just the 10 he spent in training, to serving, protecting, helping - well he's gone too, maybe not like Tara, but this is not something he'll just walk away from. He has family, Tara has family - ALL are affected immensly by this. Then you have to consider the other recruits/officers in the room that day, and all their families, all the lives touched by this tragedy; all the lives that need our support - and the rumors, gossip and fighting do nothing to aid them in their grief. Can we not just let Tara rest in peace, and honor her for who and what she was; Can we not just let those investigating the incident do their job without all the armchair quarterbacking going on? I'm begging you all - please, please, please - stop, think, and show a little respect, please.

I must have missed something but who has shown disrespect :blink: