Paulding.com

This is NOT what We Need To HEAR!!!!

As states move to reopen, COVID-19 death rate numbers raise a red flag

Andrew Romano
West Coast Correspondent

5c373430-782b-11ea-af7c-946d1491cbc1

According to Gov. Andrew Cuomo, New York state isn’t ready to start reopening just yet. “I know ... people are feeling emotional, but emotions can’t drive a reopening process,” Cuomo said Tuesday. “We have to separate the emotion from the logic.”

Yet that same logic also suggests that most — if not all — of the 15 states now moving to reopen before New York may be even less ready than the Empire State.

This is not to say New York should be reopening sooner. With more than 295,000 total cases and nearly 23,000 deaths, New York is the state hardest hit by the coronavirus pandemic and one of the most affected regions in the world. Sky-high prevalence demands a proportional level of caution; hospitals could be overwhelmed quickly if the virus spikes again.

Similar reasoning — only in reverse — also seems to be driving the states rushing to reopen. We haven’t had nearly as many cases as New York, states such as Georgia, Texas and Florida seem to be saying. We have to reopen at some point. So why not now?

https://news.yahoo.com/as-states-move-to-reopen-covid-19-death-rate-numbers-raise-a-red-flag-153852997.html

I think what most folks don't really grasp is that a viral epidemic is kind of like food coloring being dropped in a vat of crystal clear water.  You drop it in and it starts dispersing throughout the vat but rather slowly.  If the vat of water is stirred, it disperses very quickly but even if the vat is left undisturbed, eventually that food coloring will be equally dispersed throughout; given time. 

This is as inevitable as the sun rising or the wind blowing. There is literally nothing we can do other than keep the water as still as we can until we either find a 'cure' or a vaccine to make its dispersal meaningless. 

But if we stir it all up, all 100 percent of us - none of whom on day one is immune - will have any protection.

If we can slow down the spread by not stirring the pot, then some of us will get sick, some that illness won't be much (we think) but for those whose health is not great - heart disease, copd, diabetes, age greater than 60, the result is that from two to twenty percent of those in this group will die. 

Up until now and for the next few months, we have no real defenses. There is no cure. We may be able to cut the death rate among those in the group at risk in half (over even better odds?) but that is no cure. 

Life and death is the rub and what makes this literally a war against an alien life form that wants to kill us as part of its procreation. 

And, as in war, those plotting the society's strategy will make decisions by which some people live and others die. What the Kemp and the GOP are suggesting is that we all storm the virus and while it will kill what? 1-2 percent of the population? once we make the sacrifice, we can go on presumably like we did before.

Of course don't count on being able to go back to the way things were.

More than that, the history of pandemics has determined the likely outcomes of choices and most of the time, the strategy of a full frontal assault on a viral killer ends up slaughtering  innocent people, needlessly. 

Why inflict that kind of suffering? 

Today, the AJC also reported that 80 percent of those hospitalized in Georgia were black.  This may be largely because race, poverty and access to good health care run hand in hand but for those ill and dying, why should they be the one's to sacrifice. 

On 5/1/2020 at 2:41 AM, gpatt0n said:

Today, the AJC also reported that 80 percent of those hospitalized in Georgia were black.  This may be largely because race, poverty and access to good health care run hand in hand but for those ill and dying, why should they be the one's to sacrifice. 

I don't think we know the reasons yet, but certainly need to find out. It could simply be that something unique to black people's genetic make-up makes then more susceptible.  We already know that people with blood type A are more susceptible, while people with blood type O are less so. The vast majority of deaths from COVID-19 were people in their 70s and older with health issues.  For whatever reason, it doesn't bother smokers as much. We still have lots to learn about this demon.

Regarding reopening the state...we need to, and as quickly as is safe. In my opinion, we could reopen even more aggressively, but the governor would surely be criticized if he did so.

At this point, the damage to our economy and the extreme cabin fever sitting is are likely more of a threat than COVID-19 is. Add to that...when people start losing their homes and businesses, the suicide and mental illness rates could certainly be worse than the virus.

Especially given the revised number of deaths due to COVID-19, we got off very easy, considering. And ironically, the total death rates as compared to the same period last year are way down.  Also contrary to what the media has told us, most of the hospitals are ghost towns, and they are laying off or furloughing staff.

I don't have all the answers, but this has been a crazy time for us. Lots of  things that don't make sense, but the numbers help to explain at least part of it.  True that the virus isn't gone, but antibody testing is indicating that far more people have had it than medical science expected. Many people get it asymptotically, and the theories that some of us had it in December or January are looking much more possible all the time. The possibilities of a safe vaccine anytime soon are not good, so the best defense we have against the virus is herd immunity.  And quarantining or any semblance of it only slows that down.

It's time to start returning to normal, or at least as close to normal as we can.  The best thing we can do is to try and protect our elderly and health compromised. The rest of us need to move beyond fear and live life.

Edited by Guard dad
1 hour ago, Guard dad said:

I don't think we know the reasons yet, but certainly need to find out. It could simply be that something unique to black people's genetic make-up makes then more susceptible.  We already know that people with blood type A are more susceptible, while people with blood type O are less so. The vast majority of deaths from COVID-19 were people in their 70s and older with health issues.  For whatever reason, it doesn't bother smokers as much. We still have lots to learn about this demon.

Regarding reopening the state...we need to, and as quickly as is safe. In my opinion, we could reopen even more aggressively, but the governor would surely be criticized is he did so.

At this point, the damage to our economy and the extreme cabin fever sitting is are likely more of a threat than COVID-19 is. Add to that...when people start losing their homes and businesses, the suicide and mental illness rates could certainly be worse than the virus.

Especially given the revised number of deaths due to COVID-19, we got off very easy, considering. And ironically, the total death rates as compared to the same period last year are way down.  Also contrary to what the media has told us, most of the hospitals are ghost towns, and they are laying off or furloughing staff.

I don't have all the answers, but this has been a crazy time for us. Lots of  things that don't make sense, but the numbers help to explain at least part of it.  True that the virus isn't gone, but antibody testing is indicating that far more people have had it than medical science expected. Many people get it asymptotically, and the theories that some of us had it in December or January are looking much more possible all the time. The possibilities of a safe vaccine anytime soon are not good, so the best defense we have against the virus is heard immunity.  And quarantining or any semblance of it only slows that down.

It's time to start returning to normal, or at least as close to normal as we can.  The best thing we can do is to try and protect our elderly and health compromised. The rest of us need to move beyond fear and live life.

I was just talking to the gas station attendant at Sam’s I mean literally five minutes ago it is now 4 PM 

It’s almost time to pray at 4:04 

Blessings to you my brother 

We live in a totally different world than we did 53 days ago. 

I would love to banter back-and-forth like we did in the old days I’m running into Walmart for my essentials after I pray actually it’s another 10 minutes though.

No wonder I’m always 10 minutes early and I thought I had the car on real time years ago ha ha ha ha 

🤪🤪🤪🤪

Let’s try to get the old gang back together on paulding.com and the talk about good times and the good times we currently have I think there was a song after that.

Willie , was it Willie I don’t know man I’m getting older they call me Mr. Magoo nowadays !!!

No wait a minute they call me the great Gazoo !!!

Just kidding ,all right I got to go into Walmart before they think there is something wrong with me sitting in the parking lot! 😂😂😂

2BC590A4-0A5F-44AF-A76A-278B395DDAB4.jpeg