Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
RickB

Commercial vehicles parked at residence

I've searched Paulding Country ordinances, but haven't found anything specific about this issue. I bought my house 20 years ago. It's in a very nice neighborhood, just outside the city limits of Hiram (about 500 feet). There is no HOA, but everyone in the neighborhood takes very good care of their property. Most of my neighbors have lived here as long as I have. Most of us are very private. We don't socialize a lot, but it's friendly when we pass each other on the street. There are only about 30 homes on this dead end street and a couple cul-de-sacs. One way in, one way out. Shortly after the real estate bust there were a few foreclosures, purchased by investors. They rented the homes instead of selling. I have one very close neighbor, who is renting, whom I haven't met and rarely see, who works for FedEx. He or she (can't tell), parks the 22' truck right in front of the house nearly all day, every day. It's too tall for the garage, so maybe that's why, but it is unsightly. The truck rarely moves. It's seemingly always in the driveway. I can't believe FedEx allows their truck to just sit parked, in a residential neighborhood. I know they have GPS on it. 

Is there anything we can do to prevent this all-day commercial vehicle parking in our neighborhood? 

It's really making our end of the street look a little "low rent."  And I get it if it's your job. I own a business in another county where commercial parking in residential areas is against the city ordinance. I pay to park our vehicles in an approved parking lot. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

9 hours ago, RickB said:

I've searched Paulding Country ordinances, but haven't found anything specific about this issue. I bought my house 20 years ago. It's in a very nice neighborhood, just outside the city limits of Hiram (about 500 feet). There is no HOA, but everyone in the neighborhood takes very good care of their property. Most of my neighbors have lived here as long as I have. Most of us are very private. We don't socialize a lot, but it's friendly when we pass each other on the street. There are only about 30 homes on this dead end street and a couple cul-de-sacs. One way in, one way out. Shortly after the real estate bust there were a few foreclosures, purchased by investors. They rented the homes instead of selling. I have one very close neighbor, who is renting, whom I haven't met and rarely see, who works for FedEx. He or she (can't tell), parks the 22' truck right in front of the house nearly all day, every day. It's too tall for the garage, so maybe that's why, but it is unsightly. The truck rarely moves. It's seemingly always in the driveway. I can't believe FedEx allows their truck to just sit parked, in a residential neighborhood. I know they have GPS on it. 

Is there anything we can do to prevent this all-day commercial vehicle parking in our neighborhood? 

It's really making our end of the street look a little "low rent."  And I get it if it's your job. I own a business in another county where commercial parking in residential areas is against the city ordinance. I pay to park our vehicles in an approved parking lot. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

Yes sir, if  I was the driver of that FedEx vehicle I would want my neighbor to knock on the door and express their concern .

Especially if I did not have an H O A

also I would like my neighbor to bring me cookies preferably either M&M or chocolate chip from any grocery deli and if you were to say to me.. hey,  I brought these I’d like to meet you and break bread with you I have some things to talk to you about.

I would listen to you with an open mind and heart if you use that terminology...  Break bread! 

I’m sure if you go there  with a pure heart you’ll come to a resolution by the time you ate three cookies  with your new friend/neighbor.

Anyway  please keep us posted  

BTW,  it would be my pleasure to go with you if  you don’t have someone that will.

I will go with you if you like I’ll even bring the props!

Caped :hi:

BTW...wel2_anm.gif to p.com and GN!:good:

• Like 1

Thanks for your input. But perhaps you missed that part that our neighbors don't socialize much. Or the part where I rarely see whoever it is that drives the truck. Since the truck is there all day, and I'm rarely here in the evening, I assumed this person works at night, otherwise I would knock, but I'm uncomfortable approaching a home where I don't know the inhabitants and if they work at night, I certainly don't want to wake them to give them cookies and make them angry. Perhaps you're unable to read between the lines of my initial statement, but thanks just the same. I understand that some people have rosey glasses. That's wonderful, but not always practical. 

Have a great day!

You mentioned that you don't have a HOA.   That, however, does not mean you don't have  covenants on the deed as to the land use, including rentals or businesses, etc.   That is the case in my subdivision, regulating out buildings and fencing,  vehicles, parking, etc.  On-street parking may be prohibited, as an example.  

It means, in my case, (and if you happen to have the deed restrictions/covenants also) that it can be enforced.   It is a CIVIL matter, and therefore useless to complain to Marshal's office.  If a property owner has violated the covenants,  and built an outbuilding that required a permit,  the County erred in issuing the permit against covenants.   

I suggest you go to the Recorder's office and get a copy of the deed restrictions/covenants.  You may find a solution there,

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RickB said:

Thanks for your input. But perhaps you missed that part that our neighbors don't socialize much. Or the part where I rarely see whoever it is that drives the truck. Since the truck is there all day, and I'm rarely here in the evening, I assumed this person works at night, otherwise I would knock, but I'm uncomfortable approaching a home where I don't know the inhabitants and if they work at night, I certainly don't want to wake them to give them cookies and make them angry. Perhaps you're unable to read between the lines of my initial statement, but thanks just the same. I understand that some people have rosey glasses. That's wonderful, but not always practical. 

Have a great day!

RickB,

The ball is in your court I mean video!

🙏🏻❤️😇👍🏻

ps.

In case for whatever reason you can’t watch/read the video....😇

Your time is just as valuable as my time.  If you wanna put the address in this post or text me I will go take the chocolate chip cookies to your neighbor with or without you my friend!

I have no idea how to get there but I will need your assistance With that! 😎

Caped 🙏🏻❤️😇🍪

5 hours ago, rednekkhikkchikk said:

The county marshal's office should be able to tell you whether there is any basis for a complaint. 

Good luck

Yes. Thank you for the suggestion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, glassdogs said:

You mentioned that you don't have a HOA.   That, however, does not mean you don't have  covenants on the deed as to the land use, including rentals or businesses, etc.   That is the case in my subdivision, regulating out buildings and fencing,  vehicles, parking, etc.  On-street parking may be prohibited, as an example.  

It means, in my case, (and if you happen to have the deed restrictions/covenants also) that it can be enforced.   It is a CIVIL matter, and therefore useless to complain to Marshal's office.  If a property owner has violated the covenants,  and built an outbuilding that required a permit,  the County erred in issuing the permit against covenants.   

I suggest you go to the Recorder's office and get a copy of the deed restrictions/covenants.  You may find a solution there,

Thank you very much for the helpful post and suggestion.

• Like 1

I think what caped was suggesting is that just a little effort at communication might let this be a minor issue worked out between reasonable people in the matter of an hour. Considering you're looking at least at hours of research over several days; and as it is a civil matter, even if you pursue it with legalese-sounding letters and paying for public notices, etc., you could be looking at an investment of time and potentially money greater than you may want or anticipate.  If nothing else, setting the stage for a low anxiety meeting of some sort (cookies work a lot better than anger-laced notes put under the wiper) to see if there is something easy to do. 

Two things.  First you don't know if this guy is planning to move next month if he's renting.

The second thing is that I suspect that the guy is a Fedex ground guy and that means, if memory serves, he's an independent contractor.  That would suggest that he's either doing short haul work - from point A to point B (Atlanta to Birmingham or some such).  Since most routes are done during the day, if the truck is sitting, it suggests there is not used for residential deliveries. As a general rule if that truck is sitting still, you're losing money. 

Heck, you neighbor may be on the verge of quitting that job altogether.  The point is you don't know as much about the situation as you think and if you gain that knowledge through asking questions, you might save yourself a tremendous amount of time, money and effort.

I think what caped is really getting at is that we as a people have lost some of our confidence in our neighbors.  This could be because of a variety of reasons that may include the manipulation of the public by corporate media. Social science tells us that even if we understand that all those cop shows we've watched for the past 30 years and the tens of thousands of 'victims' pretend killed, it messed with our brains making us a lot more fearful than we would otherwise be. 

The best part, though, is if it works, you'll consider it a miracle ... but if it doesn't, if you've approached the person right, you'll know more  and better understand the circumstance. Heck, you're judgment might be to just blow it off because the guy is changing jobs next month.  Who knows?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, gpatt0n said:

I think what caped was suggesting is that just a little effort at communication might let this be a minor issue worked out between reasonable people in the matter of an hour. Considering you're looking at least at hours of research over several days; and as it is a civil matter, even if you pursue it with legalese-sounding letters and paying for public notices, etc., you could be looking at an investment of time and potentially money greater than you may want or anticipate.  If nothing else, setting the stage for a low anxiety meeting of some sort (cookies work a lot better than anger-laced notes put under the wiper) to see if there is something easy to do. 

Two things.  First you don't know if this guy is planning to move next month if he's renting.

The second thing is that I suspect that the guy is a Fedex ground guy and that means, if memory serves, he's an independent contractor.  That would suggest that he's either doing short haul work - from point A to point B (Atlanta to Birmingham or some such).  Since most routes are done during the day, if the truck is sitting, it suggests there is not used for residential deliveries. As a general rule if that truck is sitting still, you're losing money. 

Heck, you neighbor may be on the verge of quitting that job altogether.  The point is you don't know as much about the situation as you think and if you gain that knowledge through asking questions, you might save yourself a tremendous amount of time, money and effort.

I think what caped is really getting at is that we as a people have lost some of our confidence in our neighbors.  This could be because of a variety of reasons that may include the manipulation of the public by corporate media. Social science tells us that even if we understand that all those cop shows we've watched for the past 30 years and the tens of thousands of 'victims' pretend killed, it messed with our brains making us a lot more fearful than we would otherwise be. 

The best part, though, is if it works, you'll consider it a miracle ... but if it doesn't, if you've approached the person right, you'll know more  and better understand the circumstance. Heck, you're judgment might be to just blow it off because the guy is changing jobs next month.  Who knows?

:good: Pretty Close

Sorry to sound like this, but why don't you mind your own business? The guy is trying to make an honest living and it isn't hurting you, so give him a break.

• Confused 1

We had the Marshals put one of these up because the buses and first responders could not make it down the streets in our neighborhood. I will have to say this was after months and months of Facebook post and mailed letters. 

IMG_0684.JPG

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Greener_Grass said:

We had the Marshals put one of these up because the buses and first responders could not make it down the streets in our neighborhood. I will have to say this was after months and months of Facebook post and mailed letters. 

IMG_0684.JPG

Thankful for your persistence to Family and the place you call HOME! :good:

If PAULDING County Georgia only had a few HYper LOcal Website....

on FACEBOOK instead of the 500 or so you would have had that sign in your

HOOD in about a WEEK or so.

Speaking from experience. :rolleyes:

People talk about OUR Taxes here in Paulding county...

any IDEA what the COUNTY spends on SOCIAL Media ?!?!?

That's another topic.... sorry for Hi-Jack-N your thread!!! :ninja:

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Guard dad said:

Sorry to sound like this, but why don't you mind your own business? The guy is trying to make an honest living and it isn't hurting you, so give him a break.

I rarely ever disagree with you, but this is one time.   Commercial vehicles parked in residential areas basically tend to deflate property values.   Or, put a lid on resale activity/vibrance.   

Edited by glassdogs
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, glassdogs said:

I rarely ever disagree with you, but this is one time.   Commercial vehicles parked in residential areas basically tend to deflate property values.   Or, put a lid on resale activity/vibrance.   

JMHO - 

Let's face it, someone can find something that is "lowering property values" pretty much anywhere if they want to.  Ask anyone who lives in an HOA community with zillions of "rules" which they will quickly claim are "to protect our property values!"   Ever leave your garage door open for more than 2 minutes?  You are lowering property values.   Have a non-standard rabbit statue under your hedge?  Nope, remove it! You are impacting Property values!!    Next they want all the boats and campers removed from the property because they are impacting property values.   Then your car can't be over 5 years old, then your kids can't leave their bikes in the front yard for lunch without getting a notice.  Bah.  

Unless you are in the process of trying to sell, the only thing higher property values get you is the ability to give more money to Paulding County Govt in property taxes to spend however they want. 

We've had a neighbor parking his boom truck in his driveway for over a year across the street.  Since houses are selling as fast as they are put on the market, I don't see it impacting much of anything....

As long as the vehicle is in good condition, I just don't see the point.   If it's a non-running wreck parked in the front yard grass, then you have a case.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, glassdogs said:

Not as often as you might think.

Being a FedEx truck, I'm sure it moves almost every day, so not a permanent fixture.

Personally, I'd be happy that my neighbors are responsible and hard working people.

The OP's post had an air of snootiness in it, or at least that's how I read it. I don't see that the truck is bothering him.

On 2/16/2020 at 10:37 PM, Guard dad said:

Being a FedEx truck, I'm sure it moves almost every day, so not a permanent fixture.

The OP's post had an air of snootiness in it, or at least that's how I read it. I don't see that the truck is bothering him.

And there we have it.

And yes, I'm definitely the "snooty" type. If you really knew, you'd get A BIG kick out of it. 

2 hours ago, RickB said:

And there we have it.

And yes, I'm definitely the "snooty" type. If you really knew, you'd get A BIG kick out of it. 

Honestly, I don't care. I've never been one to care about "class", how much money someone has or makes, how fancy their home is, what kind of car they drive, etc. It's all superficial.  What truly defines a man is what is in his heart.  I know and associate with some very poor people and also some very wealthy people. I love them for who they are, not their bank balance.

But your post has keywords like "very nice neighborhood", low rent, renter, etc. So that kind of gave me the snootiness feeling.

Many FedEx drivers are independent owner/operators, so the guy might own his truck. The man is working and has a good job, I can respect that.  He could be a bum, living off the taxpayers or sitting on his butt while his wife works. He could be some kind of crook and cheat people out of their money. But that would be OK so long as there's not a truck parked in from of his house making it look "low rent", right?

I really doubt his truck is hurting you. I respectfully suggest that there are bigger things to worry about, so live and let live. Given that he probably makes good money, odds are he'll buy a home and move before long. Hopefully to a place where people don't look down on him.

This reminds me of why I saved our money and bought acreage. I pee off my back porch, so you probably wouldn't like living by me. LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Greener_Grass said:

I Live in a HOA. I still pee off the back porch.  #dontforgetwhereyoucamefrom

But can you pee for distance?

Don't answer that. Haha

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Guard dad said:

But can you pee for distance?

Don't answer that. Haha

You won't believe how much more distance you get from a second story deck vs the porch.  :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/10/2020 at 9:51 AM, RickB said:

Have a great day!

That was Rude!!! 

• Like 1

In full disclosure...many years ago when my business was young, I was living in a west Cobb subdivision and working out of my home. I was starting an installation division in my company, and I bought a box truck so I could carry the materials and equipment needed for that type of work.

I parked the box truck on the end of my house every night, and eventually poured concrete to extend my driveway to handle it.

A neighbor in the back of the subdivision started to complain about my truck. He first came down to announce to me that he disapproved of my truck and didn't want it there, and when I advised him that I really didn't care what he thought, he tried to have the county force me to park my truck elsewhere. Problem was...the county ordinance only applied to truck 1.5 ton and over, and my truck was 1.25 ton, so it fell under the law. There was nothing he could do about it.

The man continued to pitch a fit; went around the neighborhood trying to get signatures on a petition, which he failed at. He even sent out flyers, trying to build support to oppose my truck. But the other neighbors knew that my truck didn't bother them, and that I was a good friend to them.

But that didn't stop the guy, one 95 degree day, from calling me, begging for help when his air conditioner was down and he couldn't get anyone to come out for a few days.  I was the bigger man; I went and fixed his air conditioner, and charged him a fair price.  He didn't complain about my truck after that, but I really didn't care if he did because he was the jerk in the situation. I rose above the petty crap and was a good neighbor to him.

We sold that house a few years later at more than asking price and moved to Paulding. We bought acreage, in part because of that guy who though he should be able to tell me what I could and couldn't do on my own property.  I will never again live in a subdivision, much less one with a covenant. I've built my own little piece of paradise here and my neighbors have nothing to say about it. But they wouldn't anyway, because I have helped them out on multiple occasions, and they know that I'm a good guy that they can count on.

Live and let live.

• Like 3

I, too, have a small box truck for my business.  It's parked on a concrete slab next to my garage, and looks presentable.   I took the OP's comments to read that the truck in question was parked on the street. 

10 hours ago, glassdogs said:

I, too, have a small box truck for my business.  It's parked on a concrete slab next to my garage, and looks presentable.   I took the OP's comments to read that the truck in question was parked on the street. 

You used to have a trailer. :)

This is what the OP said

It's seemingly always in the driveway.

• Like 1

The best suggestion is mind your own business.  Stop catering to people who think they have some right to control others over the pettiest of things.

Edited by Ugadawgs98
  • Like 1

We NEED one of those signs in our s/d. Our neighbors have 3+ cars parked in the street, facing the wrong way, everyday!! We have even asked them nicely to NOT park directly behind our driveway and their company still does this!! Never mind the 4 wheelers at 2 & 3 am, loud music, whooping and hollering too!!!