Paulding.com

Should Paulding County Pay US to Move and Live Here in Paulding County???

Vermont, Oklahoma and Now Topeka, Kan., Want You

Vermont, Oklahoma and Now Topeka, Kan., Want You

By now, you are probably familiar with the pitch: Move to a town, a city or even a country you had never considered or maybe even heard of, and get cash in return.

Add Topeka, Kansas, to the growing list of places offering financial incentives to attract new residents and buttress an aging or stagnating population.

On Thursday, Topeka officials and business leaders announced they were pooling their resources and offering up to $15,000 to people willing to live and work in the city or its home county of Shawnee.

dc488af0-1f5e-11ea-b5ff-9e289a6980ba

Click to Read  the Rest Of Th e Story

******* My Question is... I wonder what the population is in Paulding currently and

what is was incrementally over the past 10 Years :unknw:

Who would know???

According to Google, from sources that include the US Census Bureau:

1980    26,110

1990    42,028

2000    82,984

2010  142.824

2017   159.445

https://www.google.com/search?q=population+of+paulding+county+ga&rlz=1C1DKCZ_enUS782US783&oq=population+of+Paulding+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.10215j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

So no, I don't think we need to be luring people here with cash.   Personally, I think growth is overstated; even though it does increase the tax base, it also requires more infrastructure and more services, overcrowds the schools and increases traffic, so the tradeoff sort of cancels out any benefit of an increased number of property owners. 

This was once a lovely little county, as was Cobb.  Now...well, not sure what the draw is, really, since cheap housing is a thing of the past. 

• Like 2

I started working out here in 1988 at the Neighbor Newspaper. I remember being on the four-lane at 92 when Speaker Tom Murphy opened 278.

In 1990 and for almost that entire decade of the 90s half the 00;s, Paulding was one of the nations top ten fastest growing counties in the USA.

The real problem with growth since the recession is the understanding that sprawl is not going to be an efficient format for future development, particularly in the area of transportation but also having to do with water, sewer and utilities.  Simply stated, the greater the population density, the lower the required investment in infrastructure.

Local folks would do well to renew and expand their interest, planning and politicking for alternative forms of commuting. I saw where the entire region is 'rethinking' its road building formula for development. 

What folks don't realize is that the issue is not just time of the commute.  If folks are okay with a one-hour commute (Paulding has one of the longest commutes in Georgia) that could be cut in half if, for instance, there were a monorail system that whisked folks from the Dallas Trailhead to downtown Atlanta in ten minutes at high speed.  That would mean homes within walking distance of the monorail station would 'magically' live as close to downtown as those in Buckhead as they would have about the same commute time.

9 hours ago, rednekkhikkchikk said:

According to Google, from sources that include the US Census Bureau:

1980    26,110

1990    42,028

2000    82,984

2010  142.824

2017   159.445

https://www.google.com/search?q=population+of+paulding+county+ga&rlz=1C1DKCZ_enUS782US783&oq=population+of+Paulding+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.10215j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

So no, I don't think we need to be luring people here with cash.   Personally, I think growth is overstated; even though it does increase the tax base, it also requires more infrastructure and more services, overcrowds the schools and increases traffic, so the tradeoff sort of cancels out any benefit of an increased number of property owners. 

This was once a lovely little county, as was Cobb.  Now...well, not sure what the draw is, really, since cheap housing is a thing of the past. 

1 hour ago, The Sound Guy said:

I moved here in April of 2000.  I though it felt a little more crowded now.  :) 

Imagine what it would have been without 8 years of Recession!

39 minutes ago, gpatt0n said:

I started working out here in 1988 at the Neighbor Newspaper. I remember being on the four-lane at 92 when Speaker Tom Murphy opened 278.

In 1990 and for almost that entire decade of the 90s half the 00;s, Paulding was one of the nations top ten fastest growing counties in the USA.

The real problem with growth since the recession is the understanding that sprawl is not going to be an efficient format for future development, particularly in the area of transportation but also having to do with water, sewer and utilities.  Simply stated, the greater the population density, the lower the required investment in infrastructure.

Local folks would do well to renew and expand their interest, planning and politicking for alternative forms of commuting. I saw where the entire region is 'rethinking' its road building formula for development. 

What folks don't realize is that the issue is not just time of the commute.  If folks are okay with a one-hour commute (Paulding has one of the longest commutes in Georgia) that could be cut in half if, for instance, there were a monorail system that whisked folks from the Dallas Trailhead to downtown Atlanta in ten minutes at high speed.  That would mean homes within walking distance of the monorail station would 'magically' live as close to downtown as those in Buckhead as they would have about the same commute time.

RNCC Thank You for putting up those stats and TSG... it would probably take me 3 Hours to travel from  one end of the county to the other,

instead of the 2 hours it currently takes me. I was just entering my Client Number with Paulding Water and I'm # 44826

and I moved here in 1996

DANG.... I'm a PC Native by those standards! :rofl:

Merry Christmas to you and your families by the way! :hi:

I would support a program to move people out of the county. Quality of life should not be measured by your tax bill or pocketbook. Tax rates could go down if we were not supporting all these school needs brought on by higher population. Most of the main roads are state maintained anyway and I won't even try to act like police and fire are up to par regardless of tax rates. We do have an empty airport in the middle of the woods though. I am a small businessman and I personally see no advantage to more people. JMO.

• Like 1

What we need is businesses providing good jobs here, so more people don't *have* to go out of county every day to work.

It would have another benefit of those businesses generating property taxes *without* generating any kids for the school system or anywhere near the public services needed for an equivalent number of homes. 

If the BOC would quit trying to make a mint for themselves by making new business a county exclusive and work on making the county attractive to new business, instead of homes for Cobb and Fulton County workers, we'd be better off.  

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 1:43 PM, The Sound Guy said:

What we need is businesses providing good jobs here, so more people don't *have* to go out of county every day to work.

It would have another benefit of those businesses generating property taxes *without* generating any kids for the school system or anywhere near the public services needed for an equivalent number of homes. 

If the BOC would quit trying to make a mint for themselves by making new business a county exclusive and work on making the county attractive to new business, instead of homes for Cobb and Fulton County workers, we'd be better off.  

I know right?

And for ALL  people that stay in the county... about 25% or so... have lost their VOICE due to FB, who, does not care about LOCAL Business!

IMO of course!:hi:

When you TRULY care about LOCAL Community to the HEART... it is EASY to SEE who really believes what!

• 5 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:38 AM, Stonewall said:

I would support a program to move people out of the county. Quality of life should not be measured by your tax bill or pocketbook. Tax rates could go down if we were not supporting all these school needs brought on by higher population. Most of the main roads are state maintained anyway and I won't even try to act like police and fire are up to par regardless of tax rates. We do have an empty airport in the middle of the woods though. I am a small businessman and I personally see no advantage to more people. JMO.

Agreed. Also a small business owner.  Well, co-owner, anyway.

Growth should be the path to the goal, not the goal itself.

1 hour ago, rednekkhikkchikk said:

Agreed. Also a small business owner.  Well, co-owner, anyway.

Growth should be the path to the goal, not the goal itself.

Yes ma’am we don’t have a choice but to treat our neighbors like we would treat ourselves.

God has showed up and showed out big in the last 90 days by shutting down the world and then our country!

I cringe when I hear people say it is the left and the right causing all of the chaos but in reality God is making us do the right thing by treating our neighbor as we would treat ourselves in my opinion .

And you know what they say about opinions! 🤪😂🤪😂

Good to hear from you I pray you and your family are all healthy!

❤️

Thank you for taking the time to make an entry here and if you hear anything that would be nice to spread the word please post it wherever you like on  this website Ashley you can cross post from Facebook if you choose it works here pretty good actually !!!!

Blessings,

Cc

🙏🏻❤️😎