Paulding.com

Just Wonderin'

If your a young'un, this won't be you.

There's one or two folks here that I've just got an inkling have crossed my path in the way back yonder. I mean that in a good way. Course there may be the odd example of the reverse as well. Giving that there may have been someone from my day job, it's more likely one of the other two jobs/careers (how long do you have to have done something for it to be a career?). Anyway, one y'all might admit too, the others less likely. Without anybody having to give up any anonymity, I propose to mention the names of some former Cobb "establishments". If you ever spent much time at any one of them, say hey at least.

In chronological order:

Mr. J's (across the tracks from Chief's on Atlanta Rd.)

Charlie's Party, aka Sip'n'Suds (Atlanta Rd.)

Chief's (Atlanta Rd.)

Terry's (South Cobb Dr.)

Shaker's (in the old Mr. J's)

Dolly's West (Austell Rd. at Hick's Rd.)

The Park (South Cobb Dr. near Smyrna Krystal, not to be confused with MacArthur's Park)

Honorable,mention for Murph's and My Brother's Place

Anybody?

LOL Murph's yep. But only a time or two, and mostly because I lived nearby.

May have shot pool at Chief's, once, if I am thinking of the right place, during the short time I lived off Atlanta Rd. I think my ex spent a bit more time there than I did. If that wasn't where I shot pool, I definitely remember the name. Hadn't thought of that place in a very long time.

My sister worked at the veterinarian's office near where Austell and Atlanta intersected for a few years.

There was a place I did frequent in that area though, and I am wondering if your Dolly's West might have been what came after. When we hung out there it was called Mike & Joel's Crosstown Lounge and I am pretty sure the little strip mall was at the intersection of Austell & Hicks. Spent many Friday nights at that place.

This was all in the early 80s.

So even though I figure I probably wasn't the target audience for the question

Hey! anyway

Edited by rednekkhikkchikk

Actually ma'am, you are entirely correct. Mike and Joel (Joel is an acquaintance of mine) sold to Tony Cole (my very good friend, RIP) and it became Tony's. There was some idjits in between, then Dolly (who was a lot of things to me, RIP).

Edited to add, M&J's was rockin at the same time as Terry's. And that was my family vet.

Edited by Blunt Trauma

I saw this story and thought it would be an interesting accompaniment to this thread. How often would you go to a bar if they passed something like this in Georgia ? Good idea ?

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — New Year's Eve revelers in Utah could find themselves with more than a hangover as 2019 dawns. If they drink and drive, they could end up on the wrong side of the nation's newest and lowest DUI threshold. The 0.05 percent limit goes into effect Sunday

The change means that depending on things such as food intake, a 150-pound man could be over the 0.05 limit after two beers in an hour, while a 120-pound woman could exceed it after a single drink in that time, according to figures from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/utah-gears-implement-nations-lowest-dui-limit-160322700.html

I saw this story and thought it would be an interesting accompaniment to this thread. How often would you go to a bar if they passed something like this in Georgia ? Good idea ?

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — New Year's Eve revelers in Utah could find themselves with more than a hangover as 2019 dawns. If they drink and drive, they could end up on the wrong side of the nation's newest and lowest DUI threshold. The 0.05 percent limit goes into effect Sunday

The change means that depending on things such as food intake, a 150-pound man could be over the 0.05 limit after two beers in an hour, while a 120-pound woman could exceed it after a single drink in that time, according to figures from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/utah-gears-implement-nations-lowest-dui-limit-160322700.html

That's why all this is in the past. Unless your running a neighborhood joint with enough neighborhood to support you now, you're toast.

This was a time when Paulding came to Cobb to party. If you didn't go to the cut'n'shoots in Austell, you came to me. You know, back when drinkin and drivin was more a sport than a crime.

Actually ma'am, you are entirely correct. Mike and Joel (Joel is an acquaintance of mine) sold to Tony Cole (my very good friend, RIP) and it became Tony's. There was some idjits in between, then Dolly (who was a lot of things to me, RIP).

Edited to add, M&J's was rockin at the same time as Terry's. And that was my family vet.

Twilley Animal Clinic - that vet?

We had some good times at the lounge. What I remember of 'em, anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking it wouldn't take much to move the needle from .05 to .08, so in essence they have passed that in Georgia.

People who love to go to bars and do so regularly don't tend to sweat such details as what their point-zero number might be, anyway.

Twilley Animal Clinic - that vet?

We had some good times at the lounge. What I remember of 'em, anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm thinking it wouldn't take much to move the needle from .05 to .08, so in essence they have passed that in Georgia.

People who love to go to bars and do so regularly don't tend to sweat such details as what their point-zero number might be, anyway.

Yes ma'am, Twilley from my first dog until I left home. I remember watching that building next door separate from its chimney for years.
  • Like 1

Been to Terry's, been to Murph's (went to school with Ray Murphy Jr.), been to Chief's. Are you talking about Mama's West on Austell Road? Later to become Rainbow Music Hall? Originally Crescent Park? If so yes if not no to Dolly's and the rest.

Are you talking about Mama's West on Austell Road? Later to become Rainbow Music Hall? Originally Crescent Park? If so yes if not no to Dolly's and the rest.

I remember those more as feature act halls that sold booze as opposed to bars,

Met DAC there when it was Rainbow, my buddy was his drummer at the time and Bear became a friend. By the way DAC REALLY IS a big old appendage. Like a total appendage. Huge appendage.

Edited to add: If you went to Terry's while there was a band on stage, better than even chance we met.

Edited by Blunt Trauma

Chief's was a home away from home when I was stationed at NAS Atlanta. All the others several times.

So was your beertender Joan, Suzie Q, or Polly?

Edited by Blunt Trauma