Paulding.com

"Murdered by North Carolina Rebels"

Cades Cove - Great Smoky Mountains National Park

This Saturday, we visited Cades Cove. We did see many deer and turkeys, the leaves were beautiful and it was awesome. One thing though, at the Primitive Baptist Church, we saw a tombstone of Russell Gregory one of the founders and it read "Murdered by North Carolina Rebels"

Apparently Russell Gregory was a Union sympathizer and he was murdered by North Carolina Rebels in 1864.

My great-greats were rebels out of Warne, NC, so who knows for sure? Could some of my folks be part of the group who murdered the Yankee sympathizer? I doubt it, but nevertheless I find history very interesting. And Cades Cove is very beautiful this time of year.

post-16922-0-97982200-1541521245_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

My great-great grandfather, David Shelton, was among 13 males suspected of being Union sympathizers and were rounded up and executed without trial in the 1863 "Shelton Laurel Massacre" in NC. Their wives and mothers were beaten and tortured by Confederate soldiers. One of the massacre victims was only a 13 year old boy. Another 10 year old boy was captured but escaped. My great-grandfather was only around 8 years old and was not taken by the Confederates. Gruesome story that I never heard of until a few years ago when I was checking my family history. Parts of the book & film Cold Mountain was based on details of the event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelton_Laurel_massacre

My great-great grandfather, David Shelton, was among 13 males suspected of being Union sympathizers and were rounded up and executed without trial in the 1863 "Shelton Laurel Massacre" in NC. Their wives and mothers were beaten and tortured by Confederate soldiers. One of the massacre victims was only a 13 year old boy. Another 10 year old boy was captured but escaped. My great-grandfather was only around 8 years old and was not taken by the Confederates. Gruesome story that I never heard of until a few years ago when I was checking my family history. Parts of the book & film Cold Mountain was based on details of the event.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelton_Laurel_massacre

History needs to be told, all of it, including the good, the bad and the ugly. Today's revisionists want to rewrite the history books and it does an injustice to us all when that happens. Thanks for sharing your story.

• Like 1

History needs to be told, all of it, including the good, the bad and the ugly. Today's revisionists want to rewrite the history books and it does an injustice to us all when that happens. Thanks for sharing your story.

You like history ? Here's some history I'll bet you were never never taught in school.

https://timeline.com/history-tulsa-race-massacre-a92bb2356a69