Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
juleebella

Scariest movies for you personally.

In no particular order, but I will say I'm old and most of my faves are black and whites from the sixties.

Anyway...

The Haunting-1963, original

Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte -1964

The Birds - 1963

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane - 1962

And then The Exorcist and The Sixth Sense which are not from the 60's, but.....

Scariest movie I ever saw that I liked was "Alien".

Saw it at the theater at Kennesaw College, with about 10 other people.

Never realized how tense I was during the movie, until it was over, I stood up, and nearly fell over the seat in front of me. I was so worn out I had to sit through all the closing credits until I could stand up again.

• Like 1

Pet Sematary. By far the scariest movie I ever saw, although "Christine" is right up there. I think Christine creeps me out so much because my brother had a car that looked like that car.

Funny story about watching "Pet Sematary". I had just had foot surgery and couldn't put ANY weight on that foot. Not even to touch my toes to the floor. I was stuck downstairs from Wednesday until Saturday when I watched that movie and somehow managed to crawl up the stairs to sleep in bed that night. LOL

I LOVED "The Birds". My favorite horror movie!!

I have never seen "The Exorcist". I worked at Cobb Cinema when it was showing but I never saw the movie.

Just not a scary movie/Halloween person.

Salem’s Lot ...and Night of the Living Dead..the last one still creeps me out!

Watched "Dawn of the Dead" at the Midnight Movies for Charity at Ackers Mill many, many years ago. The people there made it almost a comedy instead of horror film the way they yelled back at the screen. :)

"Look out man!! Watch out, that Zombie coming up behind ya man!! Look Out!!"

Movies don’t really get to me. One that did was the Exorcist. I’ll never forget seeing it for the first time, it still creeps me out.

There's a list around here somewhere from when I used to rank the horror movies.

The Shining will always be #1...

:ph34r:

• Like 1

I love horror/scary movies, but they don't frighten me really. Some do leave me with a bad feeling in my spirit. Event Horizon was one such movie. Was it scary, yes, but it was the acts of human torture and disfigurement that bothered me so much. Kind of like the Hellraiser series... It would take someone in a very dark place to bring something like that to life on the screen..

- Jamie

I remember The Creature From the Black Lagoon. Although it was made in the 1950's, I didn't see it until the 1970's.

and of course, The Nightmare on Elm Street (Freddy Krueger). Holy Smoke, Freddy still gives me the creeps.

Edited by Captain Rhett Butler
  • Like 1

Insidious.

nightmare on Elm Street.

And the Exorcist.

I will avoid all Friday the 13th and Halloween only because I find them boring and repeating the same thing every year in different location and with different people.

The Fly. 1958

Because somehow or other I saw that sucker, I think on TV, when I was like a preschooler. And I remember it hit me as being possible one day. I imprinted on that movie so hard that It's one of those things from your childhood that still flashes thru your memory every now and again. Still creeps me out.

• Like 1

Picnic at Hanging Rock. A 1970s movie. It is not a typical horror movie. But it does give a deep sense of unease. And the ending is open to interpretation.

Most of the Dracula movies starting with Nosfaratu from the silent film days. I am not much on the cheeky vampire movies but the ones meant to be serious are pretty good. Of course Frankenstein with Korloff is great. Sir Laughton as Quasimoto and Chaney as the wolfman are a good bet. Not much on any modern ones to much gratuitous violence and special effects takes away from the story and cinematography. Sorry for the spelling I don't use these names everyday.

• Like 1

I remember The Creature From the Black Lagoon. Although it was made in the 1950's, I didn't see it until the 1970's.

and of course, The Nightmare on Elm Street (Freddy Krueger). Holy Smoke, Freddy still gives me the creeps.

Yes! I saw the first Nightmare On Elm Street when I was 10 (my best friend snuck the VHS in the rental store as her dad was checking out another movie) and I didn't sleep for a month. It's been 30 years and I STILL can't look at him.

I like spooky, suspenseful movies, not so much blood and gore. I'm a nurse and I deal with blood and gross bodily fluids every day, that doesn't bother me, but I don't want to see it on the big screen. I do like The Sixth Sense and Silence Of The Lambs. There's a movie from the early 80s called Watcher In The Woods, starring Bette Davis, and it's very good. Surprisingly it's a Disney movie but it's not your typical Disney movie! They did a remake of that one a year or so ago but stick with the original.

• Like 1

The Shining

Salem's Lot

Pet Sematary

Prince of Darkness

Many of King's books I do not find literally scary, and I have read them all, but those were as bad or worse than the movies. Seeing Salem's Lot in my younger years left me with a lifelong phobia of anything vampire-ish in nature.

Oddly enough, I was put off by an episode of Psych that was on the TV when I woke up one evening. I generally found something to laugh at in almost every episode but there was one about nightmares and zombies and such that I really found parts of unsettling.