Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Jamie Weaver

Happy Birthday, Pubby!

In celebration of Pubby's birthday....here's a really long post about basically nothing.

There once was a man named Fred. He lived by the river in an old house.

We know the earth isn't flat because if it was, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

Ford recently announced they are going to stop making most cars. I wouldn't mind having a Mustang.

Fred was married once but got divorced when he finally figured out his wife was mean and crazy.

Fred's wife got married again and had a kid.

Today is Tuesday.

Tomorrow is Wednesday.

There is a lottery drawing tonight. I hope I win.

This is a really long paragraph that says pretty much nothing. However, I'll just keep typing to make it longer. I wonder how much I'll type before I get tired of typing. Maybe I should try dictating this to my phone so I don't have to type. Speaking of phones, new iPhones came out recently. I don't like iPhones. Got sidetracked there....this paragraph is longer than all the others. I like pie.

OK...seriously, Happy Birthday Pubby!

• Like 1

Happy Bday Pubby! Dang, I'm old, GD is old, you're old, cptlo is ancient. Time is moving just wayyyyy too fast.

Even cptlo's cat is old.

Happy Bday Pubby! Dang, I'm old, GD is old, you're old, cptlo is ancient. Time is moving just wayyyyy too fast.

Wait...what?! I'm one of the youngest people on here. Granted, that doesn't mean much considering all the REALLY old folks.

Even cptlo's cat is old.

She is...she's annoying too. And somewhat bossy.

• Like 2

Thanks, folks.

Yep, 68 ... and coming up on 2019 fully tagged, including paying the outrageously priced anti-EV state road tax.

What is particularly galling is that the general assembly, besides adding a $200 annual 'road tax' on electric vehicles, actually has a formula set up to increase the cost of this fee if gas cars get better gas mileage. ($218 this year).

I mean if the word fairness had any meaning for you, this road tax (to replace the road tax electric vehicles don't pay because they don't use gasoline) would be based on a mileage equivalent of some sort.

See, I would pay the same $218 regardless of how many miles I might drive whereas an owner of a GAS car only pays tax for what he uses.

Second, assuming this was set up 'reasonably,' the state would have determined the road tax paid by a similiar 'average' car and asses that average price. In this case it would be a simliar ICE Chevy Spark and according to the EPA it would take roughly 333 gallons of gas to drive that car 10,000 miles. That gas powered Spark would pay the grand total of $87.59 in road and fuel taxes meaning the Georgia General Assembly is not treating me fairly, especially since my choice is to stop shoveling tons of CO2 into the atmosphere.

But other than that 'birthday suprise' how was the play Mrs. Lincoln. Oh, you didn't like the last act; not at all.

pubby

What is particularly galling is that the general assembly, besides adding a $200 annual 'road tax' on electric vehicles, actually has a formula set up to increase the cost of this fee if gas cars get better gas mileage. ($218 this year).

I mean if the word fairness had any meaning for you, this road tax (to replace the road tax electric vehicles don't pay because they don't use gasoline) would be based on a mileage equivalent of some sort.

Dad and I have had this discussion, he has a Leaf and pays that tax. Really sucks the way they implemented it. He's retired and just drives around town and pays as much as the guy who drives into downtown every day, recharging at the company recharge facility? Makes no sense. He does have a sweet setup since he tries to charge during the day while the solar panels are at full output.

Tax wise, his Prius is a better deal, with the minimum distance they drive it, the gas tax he pays is very small. He drives the Leaf because of the panels and that he can charge at home and never visit the gas station.

Dad and I have had this discussion, he has a Leaf and pays that tax. Really sucks the way they implemented it. He's retired and just drives around town and pays as much as the guy who drives into downtown every day, recharging at the company recharge facility? Makes no sense. He does have a sweet setup since he tries to charge during the day while the solar panels are at full output.

Tax wise, his Prius is a better deal, with the minimum distance they drive it, the gas tax he pays is very small. He drives the Leaf because of the panels and that he can charge at home and never visit the gas station.

Don't know whether your dad is a 'liberal' or not but I think the majority of 'the base' assumes that electric car owners are because of the statement such ownership makes in regard the environment/global climate change issues. My older brother, for instance, is one of those who was temped to get a hummer - he got a chevy suburban instead - because it got such poor gas mileage just to stick it to the liberals.

Anyway, I also recall the change in the way Georgian's justified the change in registering vehicles with legislators hailing it as the repeal of the birthday tax.

Judging from the fees for electric cars, they are actually saying they repealed the birthday tax on gas guzzlers but just to rub it in how much we hate liberals, they created a whole new birthday tax targeted at liberals.

If Jerry McGuire were promoting republican candidates with a whole rant that began with, "We're going to tax the hell out liberals" good old GD would probably say, "You had me at tax liberals."

pubby

He's very Conservative politically, but very cheap. ("Frugal" he says) Usually Republican, but he used to vote for Larry McDonald for years before Larry was killed in the Russian shoot down because no matter the party, he liked what the man did.

Anyway, he just sees no point in spending money he doesn't have to. He's been into Solar energy for years, both solar heat and now the solar electric panels. His house is partially underground and the rest is built with the same insulation as they use up north, 2x6 walls with R-19. Some winter months, he has a power bill of less than $50 for a 2000 sq ft house. (Gas Heat as backup if the greenhouse/fireplace isn't enough, but that bill is pretty small too) He's big on practical. Just being alternate energy doesn't make it good, it has to work! That's the biggest difference between him and some of the radical liberals. And me for that matter, I'm a fan of industry doing stuff because they are less likely to waste billions on impracticable matters because it looks good politically.

My oldest son has a Prius as well and like dad loves it because of the gas mileage above environmental factors, though that's a nice bonus. He's very conservative in his financial/political outlook. He gets a kick out of his rail fan buddies laughing about his car until they are on a trip with him and he fills up with 8 gallons after 400 miles. :)

I have a stripped 2 YO Colorado because I wanted a truck, but wanted something with better mileage than the full size i had (and one I could afford). Wife drives a 5 YO equinox, (paid off in Jan!!!) she downsized from the "Mom Van" and just didn't see the point in spend more money and getting less mileage for a bigger vehicle. She also leads our recycling effort in the household. I used to do just aluminum cans, but since the recycling center opened up, she's expanded it to about half our normal output is now recycled. She's conservative politically. (though she voted for Jimmy Carter because he was a Georgian)

The two younger kids have Toyota's, 2004 Camry with 190K miles ( a vegetarian veterinary technician, she's my most liberal, but she's mainly major league cheap, she's said she'll drive it until the wheels come off or her Student loans are paid off. She doesn't vote though I'm working on that) and a 2015 Corolla for the middle one (he's my big spender)

As far as the tax, I try not assign motive to bills where stupidity can explain it. I think they really thought it unfair that electric cars were not helping keep up the roads and went with the first stupid thing they thought of. Since the number of electric drivers is still small, there has been no pressure to change it. We've seen enough of that out of various state and federal legislatures lately for sure!! (And the local county commission). I know you and several others on here don't believe it, but there are several of us here that really feel that the GOP is just the best of all bad choices (and not much better at that). We really are middle of the road people, forced to choice between extremes because that's what the parties give us.

Gotta love it when pubby calls you out on his birthday thread.

I haven't seen Democrats so angry since they were forced to give up their slaves.

Gotta love it when pubby calls you out on his birthday thread.

I haven't seen Democrats so angry since they were forced to give up their slaves.

And just like that ...

BAM !

Goes the Race Card.

And just like that ...

BAM !

Goes the Race Card.

Well, it would take years to catch up with you guys.

Thank You GD ....

.... for admitting right here in my birthday thread that you're the one throwing out race and stoking the fires of hatred and division.

Now, if I could just get you say whether a president is above the law ... or not. (This is a question I'll note you've yet to answer even as a hypothetical.) Such a small thing. :)

pubby

Thanks' all for the belated Birthday wishes :)

Thank You GD ....

.... for admitting right here in my birthday thread that you're the one throwing out race and stoking the fires of hatred and division.

Now, if I could just get you say whether a president is above the law ... or not. (This is a question I'll note you've yet to answer even as a hypothetical.) Such a small thing. :)

pubby

Thanks' all for the belated Birthday wishes :)

Dude, you have it bad. Get a life that isn't filled with hate.