Paulding.com

Household Hacks- What U Got?

A something to do thread.

It's fall and you've got stuff that's gotta be burned. Now the last time you or someone you know did this with a gas can. And for a couple of months you or they got made fun of for not having any eyebrows. Have I got the solution for you. Cheaper and you keep your eyebrows. Or in my case, maybe everything hanging from mid chest level to the eyebrows.

You'll need an empty toilet paper roll, a used but dry baggy, (or you rich folks up to Crossroads can use a new one [#uppity]), and your dryer lint. As you clean the lint out of your dryer, stuff it into the empty toilet paper roll. Hold the roll with a couple fingers inside it about to the middle. Repeat until you have packed that half of the roll with lint, always storing your rolls in the dry baggy.

When you need to start a fire, take out a roll, hold it by the empty end and light (pinching the end will make it easier to hold and place) and put it where you need it to be. That dry lint is gonna burn regardless and if you have it packed its gonna burn for a while.

Packing a whole roll burns about half again as long. If your using it to burn stubborn stuff. Enjoy you little pyro's, you know who you are.

Edited by Blunt Trauma
  • Like 4

This ones a little long and kind of a stretch as to being a household kinda thing. And if you don’t have arthritis or love someone that does, it won’t interest you. So stop here.

Okay, now that it’s just us old folks and caregivers, let's talk pain. All I can do is speak from my perspective and how I deal with what I got. So this may not work for you, but lord if it does it’s worth trying. Hang on and you'll see.

It turns folks off to start in with the details and crying about what's wrong with you. Let’s boil it down to this. Things have been bad again for slightly over a year…….. this happens. Except this time I’ve hurt myself trying to get better, twice. So if you’ve seen me in the last few months you were probably pitying the old guy having so much trouble going. Anyway, when you start compensating for one weak area it puts new stress on other areas and it gets to be a catch 22. So I went looking for something to try to help with at least part of it.

Thinking back to the last year before my dog passed he was having trouble going. The point where it hurt him to get up was just too much so we set out for the vet. They gave him these horse sized pills that a lady there told me was also given to people. I’ve seen adds on tv for a name brand with the same ingredients, glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate (a dietary supplement). Whoops, it just occurred to me, those with an allergy to shellfish can stop here, sorry. The dog went from not being able to hardly get up to running around like a fool in two weeks.

Anyway, after consulting the doctor to make sure it was ok (she was only looking at liver panels as a yes or no) a trip to Target (best prices on OTC medicine cabinet stuff) got me a generic target brand bottle at about $17 (I’m shall we say “frugal”, you don’t know how hard it was to throw pretty much $20 at something without knowing it was gonna work) of 180 sure enough horse sized pills (.08 to .10 per pill seems to be the best price point for this generic). Remembering that I was told to give the dog 3 a day for the first week, I did the same. Then back to the recommended two. I’m not going to claim this is some magic bullet. All I can tell you is this. 7 days after starting I left the cane in the truck at the store. At 10 days I left it at the house. I can almost walk without a limp for a while. There's still some miserable stuff to deal with. But at least now it’s less stuff. And it’s still getting better.

No jokes, no lie, no pumping you up. Maybe I’m the last person in the world to know about this and your thinking “what an idiot”, I don’t care. I’ll shout this from the rooftops. As a matter of fact I got up on and swept off the roof of the shed just yesterday. It was piled up with pine straw from the entire summer when I actually couldn’t get to it. If you’ve got joint issues or know someone who does, get them to try this……...please. At 16 to 20 cents a day, it's just an investment you can’t beat.

• Like 2

I have a friend who uses dryer lint sprayed with WD-40 to start fires in her outdoor fire pit. My hack is for babies, though. Clean and dry a baby wipes tub and use that to store baby socks in their drawer so those tiny little socks don't roll around loose. I also use a zippered lingerie bag to wash baby socks so they don't get lost in the wash.

But you are taking pills that are for intended for people, correct?

I do know a lady who swears by some kind of veterinary liniment they sell at Tractor Supply for aches and pains. Maybe horse stuff, will have to ask her again what exactly it was...she is in her late 80s and just has just lately begun to slow down from her usual activities that might involve anything from a chainsaw to an extension ladder. Beats all I ever saw.

Edited by rednekkhikkchikk
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Not much else going on around here and something occurred to me that maybe not just everybody knew about. Actually it occurred to me because I've been putting off a trip to the Depot for awhile and I'm out of stuff. That meant I had to resort to what can be had at the grocery store and it just really sucked. Environmentalists stop here, cause I'm probably about to upset you terribly.

Growing up my uncle leased trucks too, and drove for, a company named Zep. Back then you could only buy Zep products in 55 gallon drums and you had to be a commercial enterprise/institution. The kind of thing you'd use to take really serious crud off of very sturdy materials. Chemicals that came full strength and you cut it back. We'd get some pirated every once in a while and the same parents that would put me in the back of an open pick up truck with a loaded up gun rack would beat it in to me to leave THAT stuff alone. OK. I'm lying about the gun rack part.

Well, the happy news is they sell there stuff, ready for use, at the Depot now (actually for a while now). Anything they make will be the best you've ever used, but especially the tub and tile cleaner. And I can not say enough about (I've lost the environmentalists, now here goes the queasy) the "Acidic Toilet Bowl Cleaner", which is way cheaper by the gallon by the way. If you have the same water I do, you know it leaves mineral stains that can be a bear. Try this once and you'll never go back. Your scrubbing days are over. Follow the directions and you'll wonder were those pretenders down at the grocery store are allowed to get away with it. May or may not be spotted owl friendly but hey, your toilet will sparkle no lie.

Edited by Blunt Trauma

But you are taking pills that are for intended for people, correct?

I do know a lady who swears by some kind of veterinary liniment they sell at Tractor Supply for aches and pains. Maybe horse stuff, will have to ask her again what exactly it was...she is in her late 80s and just has just lately begun to slow down from her usual activities that might involve anything from a chainsaw to an extension ladder. Beats all I ever saw.

Bigeloil? It's great for sore muscles.