Paulding.com

Governor announces new aviation school at Paulding airport.

It appears the debate over commercial flight out of Silver Comet field is over.

Gov. Deal announces plans for aviation academy at Paulding airport

Gov. Nathan Deal unveiled plans on Friday for a $35 million aviation academy to train aircraft mechanics at the Paulding County airport, a plan that could effectively block efforts to commercialize a second airport in metro

Atlanta.

https://www.ajc.com/business/gov-deal-announces-plans-for-aviation-academy-paulding-airport/55ADDfvafD2AObS5mpAL1L/

All I see in that is at least 2 more law suits the county will be a party too. Just more mud in the water.

No matter what is done this all ends up a string of decisions made in courtrooms. Count back the number of announcements that were supposed to decide this whole thing one way or the other. Hopefully we'll get a little something out of this one to mitigate the costs.

I feel the airport itself is not a bad thing. I think you are correct that the knee jerk reaction by the first set of commissioners to make the Airport Authority completely independent to try to save their plans from the anti-commercial commissioners coming in will bite us on the butt for years.

• Like 1

I am one of the anti crowd and have been since the beginning. My problem has been the way the airport was snuck in by a handful of good ole boys that are either dead, sold their airplanes or out of the county now. Quality of life was the driving force in my original opposition to commercial flight aspect . I live out this way so I have a dog in the fight. Regardless of my stance I do think the aviation school may be a good middle ground. It could produce income, provide a service and delay or negate future passenger service therefore minimizing flights. I do not know if it still exist but their used to be an aviation school at Atlanta Technical College on Stewart Avenue.

• Like 1

i just had to giggle at the AJC story ---- "Deal descended in a state patrol helicopter on Friday morning and landed at the tiny airport"

Now, now. Lets not be "size shaming" the airport. I know how it feels. You don't mind it so much when they laugh, but you hate it when they point.

• Like 1