Paulding.com

At Some Point Enoughs Just Enough

Stories below, but to save you some time it sums up like this. A racing team just had a sponsor pull out on them. That's not all that unusual, but the reason cited was that the drivers father used a racial slur in a radio interview in the 1980s.

That's right, something the drivers dad said 30+ years ago. Not the driver. His dad. The drivers 26.

An eye for an eye and soon everbodies blind kinda thing.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/24467997/nascar-xfinity-driver-conor-daly-loses-sponsorship

• Like 2

Stories below, but to save you some time it sums up like this. A racing team just had a sponsor pull out on them. That's not all that unusual, but the reason cited was that the drivers father used a racial slur in a radio interview in the 1980s.

That's right, something the drivers dad said 30+ years ago. Not the driver. His dad. The drivers 26.

An eye for an eye and soon everbodies blind kinda thing.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/24467997/nascar-xfinity-driver-conor-daly-loses-sponsorship

I guess he knows what the guy feels like that doesn't get a sponsorship because his dad is Latino, Jewish or Black. You can always hide your words but you can't hide your skin color.

What does it mean when people are more tired of hearing about race than they are tired of racists committing racist acts?

Edited by COWA
  • Like 1

I guess he knows what the guy feels like that doesn't get a sponsorship because his dad is Latino, Jewish or Black. You can always hide your words but you can't hide your skin color.

What does it mean when people are more tired of hearing about race than they are tired of racists committing racist acts?

"Conor Daly, 26, wasn't born when his father made the comment."

8)

• Like 2

If you can afford to pay for the sins of your father then you have indeed led a blessed life. I could not. It's hard enough to pay for my own.

North Korea has a system like that. You get sent to the detention camp for something you said, then your children remain there for their lifetime too. Tell me, or better yet dont, is there anything you did 30 or 40 years ago that your kids need to pay for? Did you just get a little mad when I mentioned your kids? Does that mad feeling tell you maybe your idea of making the children pay might be a little...... I don't know........wrong?

• Like 3

"Conor Daly, 26, wasn't born when his father made the comment."

8)

There are people who weren't born when their fathers were born Black, LatinX, Muslim, Jewish and they are still discriminated against. People don't ask to be born non-white but they are still discriminated against. How much outrage have you shown for the injustice done to them?

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :fool: :fool: :fool:

If you can afford to pay for the sins of your father then you have indeed led a blessed life. I could not. It's hard enough to pay for my own.

North Korea has a system like that. You get sent to the detention camp for something you said, then your children remain there for their lifetime too. Tell me, or better yet dont, is there anything you did 30 or 40 years ago that your kids need to pay for? Did you just get a little mad when I mentioned your kids? Does that mad feeling tell you maybe your idea of making the children pay might be a little...... I don't know........wrong?

You think minorities can afford to pay for the sin of being born a minority? You think they chose their lineage? What has Daly's father done to make amends besides say sorry 30 years too late?

May be if Daly had tried to make amends for his prior conduct he could help his son. He didn't even say he was sorry until his son had to pay a price. If his son didn't pay a price for his sins, he would never have bothered to apologize. Who the hell is he apologizing to anyway?

There are people who weren't born when their fathers were born Black, LatinX, Muslim, Jewish and they are still discriminated against. People don't ask to be born non-white but they are still discriminated against. How much outrage have you shown for the injustice done to them?

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :fool: :fool: :fool:

You think minorities can afford to pay for the sin of being born a minority? You think they chose their lineage? What has Daly's father done to make amends besides say sorry 30 years too late?

So as best I can tell your calling for injustice to be done to all white people until such time as the ill that befalls them is equivalent to the injustice done to all people's of the world throughout history as judged by, I'm guessing, you. And that retribution is to be continued generationally ad nauseum until that time.

We're done here, because there ain't no talkin' to that. Good luck.

• Like 6

So as best I can tell your calling for injustice to be done to all white people until such time as the ill that befalls them is equivalent to the injustice done to all people's of the world throughout history as judged by, I'm guessing, you. And that retribution is to be continued generationally ad nauseum until that time.

That is the true guilt of the situation. Some white folks are afraid they'll get as good as they gave so they think they need to keep up the oppression so it doesn't happen to them. As long as it doesn't happen to white people you don't care who it happens to. So the best I can tell, you share the belief that, "Sorry you were born a minority, sucks for you."

Your fear of their reaction is potentially telling about your own vengeful nature. Looks like you project a retaliatory mindset because you have one. Minorities I have met never spoke of any retribution, only restitution. You can't even point to any retribution by minorities. I've only heard of minorites speak of equity for all.

This sponsor chose not to continue their sponsorship. They are not a minority owned business so they are not exacting retribution. If his dad had been able to say I've since changed my ways and these are the actions I've taken to be a better person, his son's team would still have a sponsor.

That father isn't sorry for what he said, he's sorry he got caught and his son paid a price. Only when there were consequences did he give a cheeze. That means he has learned nothing and has not shown growth as a human being since the time he uttered hateful words. He's probably done it many more times undocumented since then.

Pretty much makes you a hypocrite in my view. You are willing to overlook racism being handed down generationally so long as it only happens to non-whites. A day may come that you will desire equity for all. But it is more likely you'll leave this earth as part of the problem, not the solution.

Edited by COWA

That is the true guilt of the situation. Some white folks are afraid they'll get as good as they gave so they think they need to keep up the oppression so it doesn't happen to them. As long as it doesn't happen to white people you don't care who it happens to. So the best I can tell, you share the belief that, "Sorry you were born a minority, sucks for you."

Your fear of their reaction is potentially telling about your own vengeful nature. Looks like you project a retaliatory mindset because you have one. Minorities I have met never spoke of any retribution, only restitution. You can't even point to any retribution by minorities. I've only heard of minorites speak of equity for all.

This sponsor chose not to continue their sponsorship. They are not a minority owned business so they are not exacting retribution. If his dad had been able to say I've since changed my ways and these are the actions I've taken to be a better person, his son's team would still have a sponsor.

That father isn't sorry for what he said, he's sorry he got caught and his son paid a price. Only when there were consequences did he give a cheeze. That means he has learned nothing and has not shown growth as a human being since the time he uttered hateful words. He's probably done it many more times undocumented since then.

Pretty much makes you a hypocrite in my view. You are willing to overlook racism being handed down generationally so long as it only happens to non-whites. A day may come that you will desire equity for all. But it is more likely you'll leave this earth as part of the problem, not the solution.

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone but you are making statements that you can't backup as factual.

Daly claims he had no idea that the term was considered offensive in the United States, and that it was commonly used in Ireland when he was growing up.[/size][/font]

“I quickly learned what a derogatory term it was. When I was first informed of this, I was mortified at the offense I might have caused people. I have therefore never used the word since. I made this mistake once, but never again,” Daly told Fox59.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/08/24/retired-indy-500-driver-derek-daly-fired-from-tv-job-for-use-n-word-35-years-ago.html

• Like 2

Regarding the phrase he used that contained the n-word:

The phrase - meaning a concealed factor that may have a harmful effect on a situation - originated in the US in the 1850s and was in common use in Britain until recent decades. It is now regarded by most people as being racially offensive.

Regarding the phrase he used that contained the n-word:

The phrase - meaning a concealed factor that may have a harmful effect on a situation - originated in the US in the 1850s and was in common use in Britain until recent decades. It is now regarded by most people as being racially offensive.

That you wouldn't provide a link to your definition of the phrase is very telling about you. You revealed the part you wanted while concealing the rest. The phrase "uiqqer in the woodpile" has racial connotations and is not a harmless phrase but you would even attempt to pass it off as one is revealing about you.

As I said before, you can hide your words but minorities can't hide their skin. And in this instance you consciously chose to hide a link to your supposed definition to conceal it's full origin.

There are other variants and all have racist connotations. Thanks for giving the world insight into precisely who you are. How long have you been acquainted with James Crow, Esquire? :huh:

The_Nigger_in_the_Woodpile.jpg

"Both the "fence" and "woodpile" variants developed about the same time in the period of 1840–50,[2] when the Underground Railroad was flourishing. The evidence is slight, but it is presumed that they were derived from actual instances of the concealment of fugitive slaves in their flight north under piles of firewood or within hiding places in stone walls.[3][4]Another possible origin comes from the practice of transporting pulpwood on special railroad cars. In the era of slavery, the pulpwood cars were built with an outer frame with the wood being stacked inside in moderately neat rows and stacks. However, given the nature of the cars, it was possible to smuggle persons in the pile itself, possibly giving rise to the term."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/uiqqer_in_the_woodpile

"When a caucasian has some negroid ancestory there is said to have been a uiqqer in the Woodpile, usually said if the caucasian has some negroid traits like kinky hair."

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=uiqqer%20in%20the%20woodpile

Edited by COWA

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone but you are making statements that you can't backup as factual.

http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/08/24/retired-indy-500-driver-derek-daly-fired-from-tv-job-for-use-n-word-35-years-ago.html

You only bolster my point. He learned there were consequences for using that phrase and he stopped using it. If there were no consequences he would have continued on using it. He can point to nothing in his life where he attempted to make amends or better himself for the sake of humanity. He didn't even say the usual, "I can't be racist, I have black friends".

For the record, I don't think he should have been fired for his father's sins. Just like I don't think minorities should be excluded because of the sin of being born a minority. The smell of racism in the morning repulses me. And this thread is filled with it.

I don't know if his father taught him to be racist. The root of racism is ignorance and sometimes you have to root out that ignorance. Did this father say and teach other racist things to his son and teach him to conceal his beliefs from the public as some of you may have done?

You only bolster my point. He learned there were consequences for using that phrase and he stopped using it. If there were no consequences he would have continued on using it. He can point to nothing in his life where he attempted to make amends or better himself for the sake of humanity. He didn't even say the usual, "I can't be racist, I have black friends".

That is the stupidest response ever. He didn't know that the phrase was inappropriate until someone told him. How would he have learned it was bad without someone telling him? What should he have to make amends for SINCE HE DIDN'T KNOWINGLY DO ANYTHING WRONG?

Do you think all white people are racist?

For the record, I don't think he should have been fired for his father's sins. Just like I don't think minorities should be excluded because of the sin of being born a minority. The smell of racism in the morning repulses me. And this thread is filled with it.

I don't know if his father taught him to be racist. The root of racism is ignorance and sometimes you have to root out that ignorance. Did this father say and teach other racist things to his son and teach him to conceal his beliefs from the public as some of you may have done?

Did your parents teach you to be racist?

Folks, I'll talk to somebody as long as they can be talked to. When I said there's no talking to that, what I meant is you can't talk to someone with that much hate in their heart, bent on revenge. You might as well get out of your car and yell GO at every stop sign you see. It'll come to the same result.

As for the respondent, I'll say just one more thing to you. You spoke of my being scared. That would lead me to believe that maybe you are as unfamiliar with me as I am with you. Frightening me is an all day chore. I've seen worse than you can dream up. I've outrun your revenge and your hatred leaves me unimpressed. Again, good luck.

Edited by Blunt Trauma
  • Like 3

Folks, I'll talk to somebody as long as they can be talked to. When I said there's no talking to that, what I meant is you can't talk to someone with that much hate in their heart, bent on revenge. You might as well get out of your car and yell GO at every stop sign you see. It'll come to the same result.

As for the respondent, I'll say just one more thing to you. You spoke of my being scared. That would lead me to believe that maybe you are as unfamiliar with me as I am with you. Frightening me is an all day chore. I've seen worse than you can dream up. I've outrun your revenge and your hatred leaves me unimpressed. Again, good luck.

When someone says they said all they have to say and then come back to say more? What revenge do I want? I listen to racists rant behind closed doors all the time. They sound a lot like you until they find out I won't tolerate it or ignore it.

I still say if Democrats really cared about minorities, they would do something more than just talk about it. Begin to transition people from lifestyles of dependency to self-sufficiency. Use programs like Enterprise Zones to create good paying private sector jobs in poor areas. Fix the terrible schools in the inner cities so the people who live there can get better educations. Stop subsidizing single parenthood and encourage the nuclear family again.

Liberal programs have done great harm to the American family, and impacted the black community disproportionately. The Democratic Party has a long and ugly history of racism, and their policies are still racist; they've just gotten better about hiding what they truly are.

• Like 4

The question is why is the driver being punished for something his dad said before he was even born? His dad, being from another country where that word has a different meaning, and never said it again? Let me scan my memory banks to make sure I never uttered that word, and it IS a horrible word, otherwise my kids might be punished in 20 years when they're adults.

We were traveling through eastern Kentucky with friends several years ago and stopped in at a Huddle House for breakfast.

As soon as we opened the door, was hit with the smell of cigarette smoke and the waitress yelled out “Yau’ll Want A Clean Ash Tray?”, I knew then we had stepped back in time a generation or two.

I heard racial discussions around us that embarrassed me and made me want to crawl up under the booth.

I realized then just how respectful our community is.

Don’t think everything is equal everywhere.

I still say if Democrats really cared about minorities, they would do something more than just talk about it. Begin to transition people from lifestyles of dependency to self-sufficiency. Use programs like Enterprise Zones to create good paying private sector jobs in poor areas. Fix the terrible schools in the inner cities so the people who live there can get better educations. Stop subsidizing single parenthood and encourage the nuclear family again.

Liberal programs have done great harm to the American family, and impacted the black community disproportionately. The Democratic Party has a long and ugly history of racism, and their policies are still racist; they've just gotten better about hiding what they truly are.

Many if not most from the democratic party that were of that ilk became Dixiecrats and are Republicans today. What programs do Republicans propose other than voter suppression?

The question is why is the driver being punished for something his dad said before he was even born? His dad, being from another country where that word has a different meaning, and never said it again? Let me scan my memory banks to make sure I never uttered that word, and it IS a horrible word, otherwise my kids might be punished in 20 years when they're adults.

Because there is more to the story than what is being told?

Well aren't you clever?

No, wait. Will Rogers was clever.

My bad.

I think this is a circumstance for which atonement cannot be made by punishing the son for the sins of the father. People should be held responsible for their own actions (i.e. Roseanne Barr). If the son had publically or verbally echoed the father's sentiment, well that would be another thing.

I am absolutely against discrimination and bigotry and I do understand the instinct to protect the brand, but this is truly an example of political correctness run amok.

Much has changed in the past 40-50 years. And how old would the father have been 30 years ago? Early 20s? Not exactly a demographic known for self-restraint...

If I had to pay for stuff my parents said/did before I was born, I would probably be screwed.

• Like 1

Well aren't you clever?

No, wait. Will Rogers was clever.

My bad.

I think this is a circumstance for which atonement cannot be made by punishing the son for the sins of the father. People should be held responsible for their own actions (i.e. Roseanne Barr). If the son had publically or verbally echoed the father's sentiment, well that would be another thing.

I am absolutely against discrimination and bigotry and I do understand the instinct to protect the brand, but this is truly an example of political correctness run amok.

Much has changed in the past 40-50 years. And how old would the father have been 30 years ago? Early 20s? Not exactly a demographic known for self-restraint...

If I had to pay for stuff my parents said/did before I was born, I would probably be screwed.

I totally agree. The difficulty comes when hypocrites that never speak out against blanketed injustice for race, religion or sexual orientation suddenly take an interest. Some of these hypocrites have actually voiced that they are tired of hearing about institutional and systemic injustice but now suddenly become concerned with an isolated instance of injustice where all of the facts may not have been disclosed.

The sponsor could have made a decision based on the one incident. But there is the possibility that the sponsor decided not to disclose other incidents that were not so public in an effort to allow him to pursue other sponsorships.

Edited by COWA

After reading this thread (And the thread about John McCain) I am starting to believe what I always suspected; people that wear their conservatism like a badge of honor are 80% cult followers ( Think Jim Jones,Branch Davidians,David Duke and Kool Aid) and 90% jerks.

Edited by CitizenCain

Many if not most from the democratic party that were of that ilk became Dixiecrats and are Republicans today. What programs do Republicans propose other than voter suppression?

Well, I wasn't defending Republicans. And I agree that they haven't done enough either.

Regarding old Democrats...they didn't become anything but dead. They are not Republicans now. How long do you think people live?

The sad reality is that neither party is looking out for the people. They are just buying votes and power.

Well, I wasn't defending Republicans. And I agree that they haven't done enough either.

Regarding old Democrats...they didn't become anything but dead. They are not Republicans now. How long do you think people live?

The sad reality is that neither party is looking out for the people. They are just buying votes and power.

Yeah sure, they call them Blue Dog Democrats now. Dixiecrats with a new name. A lot of them switched parties in the General Assembly here in Georgia giving Republicants the majority and solidifying that majority.

Yeah sure, they call them Blue Dog Democrats now. Dixiecrats with a new name. A lot of them switched parties in the General Assembly here in Georgia giving Republicants the majority and solidifying that majority.

The Dixiecrats are all dead. That was decades ago.

The reality is, both parties have moved left, especially on a national level.

It makes no sense that a statement 35 years ago would be THE REASON for the child of the offender to lose his ride. In fact, according to the Fox News story, it wasn't the child but the actual person making the statement.

That it was suggested that the firing was of the child is problematic and so obviously fake new designed to incite, is undeniable.

According to the fox news piece cited, it was the father who is the retired driver who 35 years ago, during an interview, was said to have said that.

The firing also involved an 80 year old announcer for the Colt's football team that was accused of using slurs.

I suspect the firings at TV stations of announcing talent cited this as a reason for 'business reasons' ... i.e. the station's contracts with these guys would allow firing for such use of the pejorative but if they just fired them, the announcers/on-air talent would be able to go work for a competitor. Because the TV stations didn't have a non-compete agreement because of the age of the contracts, I suspect that this ruse was used because the play of the race card would mean they would not be able to just walk across the street and do announcing for competitors.

The point is the racist slur was useful to the management from a business standpoint and that makes sense to me as the reason that this meme has been put into play. This begs the question of whether the presence of an on-air racial slur 35 years ago was just a convenient hook to take care of the failure of TV management who were afraid their on-air talent would take their show on the road.

And of course Fox News, seeing that racist red flag, decided to hoist it on the flag pole and see who might salute. White nationalists obliged.

pubby

Cowa seems to be the only openly avowed racist here.

Hey Cowa, white people have the same struggles that any other AMERICAN has. And, most blacks have been here for many decades, voting Democrat. Democrats that have promised blacks the world but never delivers. Why, because there is only one magic bullet to get ahead here, and anywhere in the world. Work. We all are in that same boat.

BTW, there are more poor whites than blacks, do they need the same 'help' that you demand?

• Like 2

It makes no sense that a statement 35 years ago would be THE REASON for the child of the offender to lose his ride. In fact, according to the Fox News story, it wasn't the child but the actual person making the statement.

That it was suggested that the firing was of the child is problematic and so obviously fake new designed to incite, is undeniable.

According to the fox news piece cited, it was the father who is the retired driver who 35 years ago, during an interview, was said to have said that.

The firing also involved an 80 year old announcer for the Colt's football team that was accused of using slurs.

I suspect the firings at TV stations of announcing talent cited this as a reason for 'business reasons' ... i.e. the station's contracts with these guys would allow firing for such use of the pejorative but if they just fired them, the announcers/on-air talent would be able to go work for a competitor. Because the TV stations didn't have a non-compete agreement because of the age of the contracts, I suspect that this ruse was used because the play of the race card would mean they would not be able to just walk across the street and do announcing for competitors.

The point is the racist slur was useful to the management from a business standpoint and that makes sense to me as the reason that this meme has been put into play. This begs the question of whether the presence of an on-air racial slur 35 years ago was just a convenient hook to take care of the failure of TV management who were afraid their on-air talent would take their show on the road.

And of course Fox News, seeing that racist red flag, decided to hoist it on the flag pole and see who might salute. White nationalists obliged.

pubby

I've got no problem with any of that except the beat down over the news story cited. That was where I saw it first included in a Google news feed. It was reported on widely by many and varied news outlets. Nascar and NBC addressed it multiple times during the coverage of Saturday's race. Fox News being cited was coincidence. Edited by Blunt Trauma

Cowa seems to be the only openly avowed racist here.

Hey Cowa, white people have the same struggles that any other AMERICAN has. And, most blacks have been here for many decades, voting Democrat. Democrats that have promised blacks the world but never delivers. Why, because there is only one magic bullet to get ahead here, and anywhere in the world. Work. We all are in that same boat.

BTW, there are more poor whites than blacks, do they need the same 'help' that you demand?

He's being a loyal Democrat. The Democratic Party is intentionally keeping the race pot stirred up. I doubt they'd win a single elcttion if they didn't keep minorities, women, LBGTs, etc all fired up with emotional stuff. They have no real ideas to run on.

• Like 2

Democrats that have promised blacks the world but never delivers.

The only things democrats have promised blacks that didn't include you ( because you always had them) are the right to vote, the right for their children to get an education sit anywhere they want on a bus and not have to eat at a table in the alley behind a restaurant, you know the kind of things that just piss you Republicans off to no end.

The only things democrats have promised blacks that didn't include you ( because you always had them) are the right to vote, the right for their children to get an education sit anywhere they want on a bus and not have to eat at a table in the alley behind a restaurant, you know the kind of things that just piss you Republicans off to no end.

At this moment, President Trump has helped EVERYONE, without picking favorites. This is NOW. You seem to have to go back in time to find things the Democrats did. Democrats are now focusing on illegals. They seem to think they blacks in line...

There is NO reason to pick and choose winners, when everyone that is in the U.S. legally have all the same rights. Unless you think one group is stupid.

Unless you think having jobs, less taxes is somehow discriminating against certain races, it's a good time to be American.

Edited by yathink?

At this moment, President Trump has helped EVERYONE, without picking favorites. This is NOW. You seem to have to go back in time to find things the Democrats did. Democrats are now focusing on illegals. They seem to think they blacks in line...

There is NO reason to pick and choose winners, when everyone that is in the U.S. legally have all the same rights. Unless you think one group is stupid.

Unless you think having jobs, less taxes is somehow discriminating against certain races, it's a good time to be American.

The only thing Trump has done for America exist in the imagination of his supporters.

I've got no problem with any of that except the beat down over the news story cited. That was where I saw it first included in a Google news feed. It was reported on widely by many and varied news outlets. Nascar and NBC addressed it multiple times during the coverage of Saturday's race. Fox News being cited was coincidence.

The announcers were working for the local station - WISH-TV - and they are the original source of the news. It was them that fired them. I think they are a fox affiliate but it really doesn't make any difference. In fact to accomplish the purpose of the station management - ruining their careers without having to buy out their contract and without worrying if someone else would pick up their contracts would only be served if they publicized racism as the reason for the firing. The more broadly it would be publicized, the more effective the tactic.

I think that Fox news affiliates would be more aggressive in promoting the meme but other networks and stations would pick up this bit of 'news' in the name of industry transparency.

pubby