Paulding.com

When will 737's start landing in Paulding?

Well the Chamber of Commerce must be happy that the three anti-commercialization commissioners were defeated.

The county will once again start the process to bring commercial jets into Silver Comet Field...and then Paulding County will get sued again by the City of Atlanta. The lawyers will again make lots of money and the citizens will again and again foot the bill. This issue continues to divide residents.

What's to keep the Mayor of Atlanta from selling their 10,000 acres in Paulding? or even worse, what's to keep them from cutting down all the trees and making a big landfill?

I'm afraid the citizens of Paulding have goofed by electing the pro-airport bunch. BOHICA

• Like 1

Won't be anytime soon for sure. There's not a 737 load worth of people on this side of town that would all be going to the same place at the same time to make it worth their while. This made sense on when they wanted that airport on the other side of Atlanta, much shorter drive and much easier one for something like 50% of the Atlanta area population. Here? It's like 5% of Atlanta population. I know I wouldn't choose to fly from here when I can drive less than 30 minutes more and have a wide choice of airlines and flights.

As far as the 10K acres is concerned, I remember hearing that there is a contract that the BOC has to be given approval of the final use *unless* something happens, then it's up for grabs. I just don't remember what the something is.

Will not happen soon. Have you ever checked Charlotte Airport and then up the street you have Concord, NC I am not going to give stats on this but this is a similar situation to Paulding. I was reading the New Era and Tony was taking credit for Richland Creek and other projects. One page over ad was for no airport. Todd promised early on for new fire station and 911 center at airport, and then we congest traffic by building center near present jail. The Watson property is finally being built out, downtown Dallas is stagnant but the deals were made. I just wished I owned the property. I don't think Chamber got every vote. There are folks that moved in from airport cities and want closer. Three commissioners obsessed with keeping one project down will get you defeated down the road.

Not in your lifetime, chill.

What happens out there on that glorified parking lot has been to be decided in a courtroom since the original commision ignored the vote of the people. We've been destined to pay that legal bill since, it could be minimized, but that will require a consensus that will never be reached. The only way it ends is when the in place contracts expire and the weeds are allowed to grow.

So not in your lifetime, chill.

Have you been to the airport lately. As general aviation it is a ghost town, as commercial it would be no different. Time will prove this to be true. Paulding's airport was 40 years ahead of its time and just like the EPA stated there was no rational justification to build it. But look at the bright side, we may get another movie studio.

• Like 2

Have you been to the airport lately. As general aviation it is a ghost town, as commercial it would be no different. Time will prove this to be true. Paulding's airport was 40 years ahead of its time and just like the EPA stated there was no rational justification to build it. But look at the bright side, we may get another movie studio.

Funny. I seem to remember that the FAA gave a grant to the PCAA of $30 Million? Apparently there was justification.

Will not happen soon. Have you ever checked Charlotte Airport and then up the street you have Concord, NC I am not going to give stats on this but this is a similar situation to Paulding. I was reading the New Era and Tony was taking credit for Richland Creek and other projects. One page over ad was for no airport. Todd promised early on for new fire station and 911 center at airport, and then we congest traffic by building center near present jail. The Watson property is finally being built out, downtown Dallas is stagnant but the deals were made. I just wished I owned the property. I don't think Chamber got every vote. There are folks that moved in from airport cities and want closer. Three commissioners obsessed with keeping one project down will get you defeated down the road.

Richland Creek was voted many years ago by voters before Tony was even a commissioner.

• Like 2

The FAA is in the business of building airports and increasing the size of their kingdom. They would give money to anyone who asks for it, whether there is a real need or not. Whoever is responsible for spending $30 mil in Paulding should be fired immediately. The EPA's unbiased review of the Environmental Assessment for the original airport clearly stated there was no justification for an airport in Paulding at that time. Based on the real numbers. Check it out.

• Like 2

yeah - the reservoir was hatched back in the 90s. I noticed that on one of Crowe's campaign fliers that hit my mailbox and then hit the trash.

Richland Creek was voter on at same time as Airport. Richland past but voter turn down tax money for Airport.

I never supported the airport, I don't like the secrecy, the waste of tax dollars the out and out incompetence. But it's here now like it or not and until it starts making money it's going to suck up this county's tax dollars that could be used for something useful (a new concept in Paulding). On a side note Ive seen good people lose their homes and ran out of this county by the thug cartel that sat on the board of commissioners, I celebrate each and every time one of these thugs lose an election. Their conduct and abuse of power has been nothing short of criminal.

R.I.P

Thad Morrison

• Like 5

I never supported the airport, I don't like the secrecy, the waste of tax dollars the out and out incompetence. But it's here now like it or not and until it starts making money it's going to suck up this county's tax dollars that could be used for something useful (a new concept in Paulding). On a side note Ive seen good people lose their homes and ran out of this county by the thug cartel that sat on the board of commissioners, I celebrate each and every time one of these thugs lose an election. Their conduct and abuse of power has been nothing short of criminal.

R.I.P

Thad Morrison

It wasn't meant to make money. If you run something by the voters twice and then just end run them and do it anyway...well. That indicates a push from somewhere. That type of temerity doesn't come without there being someone/thing/group/influence both watching and supporting in such away as to make those involved untouchable on the other end.

It wasn't meant to make money. It was meant to provoke this fight. We just live on the battleground.

Duck.

What you folks don't understand is the airport is a 'green field' opportunity.

The commercial designation for the airport is more than bringing in a scheduled flight every now and then; it is the general security that surrounds a 'commercial' public airport in terms fencing, patrols and controls of traffic. All those elements are enhanced.

Further, because the commercial airport security is partly subsidized by the FAA, those entities - consider it areospace, airline and other allied industries all benefit from the enhanced security at a bargain basement price from the moment they locate inside the boundaries of the airport.

I think - I may be wrong - but the FAA requires that the airport have at least 100 total landings and departures in a year to maintain the commercial designation for the airport. I suspect that will be easier to accomplish than SG projects but I seriously doubt we'll be looking at 10000 landings and departures any time before 2050. (That would be about 12 flights a day.on average.

Regardless, the enhanced security at the facility makes this 'greenfield' development very, very, very attractive for industrial development and jobs. That is the reason the commercialization was sought; not the desire to disturb nearby residents with 100s of landing and takeoff's of commercial airlines a day.

pubby

What you folks don't understand is the airport is a 'green field' opportunity.

The commercial designation for the airport is more than bringing in a scheduled flight every now and then; it is the general security that surrounds a 'commercial' public airport in terms fencing, patrols and controls of traffic. All those elements are enhanced.

Further, because the commercial airport security is partly subsidized by the FAA, those entities - consider it areospace, airline and other allied industries all benefit from the enhanced security at a bargain basement price from the moment they locate inside the boundaries of the airport.

I think - I may be wrong - but the FAA requires that the airport have at least 100 total landings and departures in a year to maintain the commercial designation for the airport. I suspect that will be easier to accomplish than SG projects but I seriously doubt we'll be looking at 10000 landings and departures any time before 2050. (That would be about 12 flights a day.on average.

Regardless, the enhanced security at the facility makes this 'greenfield' development very, very, very attractive for industrial development and jobs. That is the reason the commercialization was sought; not the desire to disturb nearby residents with 100s of landing and takeoff's of commercial airlines a day.

pubby

Interesting that you wrote this. I had lunch today with a person who was a member of the PCAA board when all this started. They validated exactly what I had posted previously in a thread regarding the application for the Part 139 Certificate. It had NOTHING to do with commercial flights, it was all about getting the certificate stating the airport's meeting security and aviation standards. The major manufacturer who wanted to build a facility at SCF to build corporate jets was the play. The "Allegiant" terminal/base was a diversion to keep other bidders away from the French firm. The Paulding 6 fell for the ruse. There NEVER WAS any real plan to fly passenger jets in and out of SCF. The City of Atlanta has about 18 months to decide if they are going to use those 10,000 acres as an airport,. the terms of the sale were that if they fail to use it as an airport, the original seller (Cousins Properties) may buy it back and resell, or develop the land. So, ya all need to be prepared for DHL, UPS, and FedEx to be building terminals near SCF and landing 737's out there about every 30 minutes around the clock. Because freight airliners DO NOT NEED Part 139 Certification.

• Like 1

R.I.P

Thad Morrison

Might want to check those campaign disclosures as you seem confused...

the thugs who targeted Thad Morrison just won back two seats on the county commission.

8)

• Like 1

Might want to check those campaign disclosures as you seem confused...

the thugs who targeted Thad Morrison just won back two seats on the county commission.

8)

What?

Stover, Hart, and Kaecher were not even close to being involved with the Robber Baron Mega Developers. Now, had Jim Ashworth won in Post 4, he had tight ties with King Jerry and you might have had an argument there.

• Like 3

The idea of the reservoir was hatched in the 90s. Land purchases, government approvals and all that took 15 years to get to a point of the county asking voters for funding. It was not brought to us by Tony "out of work in December" Crowe as his campaign flier stated.

• Like 5

Richland Creek was voted many years ago by voters before Tony was even a commissioner.

I remember folks buying a home near The Dragstrip. Then at the next meeting wanted it shutdown. What has evolved years ago was a homestead of 10 to 15 acres, then ask for paving, water, sewer and police protection and the list went on. Well things have changed and even the voters.

They didn't win two seats, all the negative campaigning won three seats.

Yeah. And either way, the citizens won. All 4 of the current post commissioners got elected on a platform that was based on an erroneous premise...that commercial ticketed passenger service was never going to happen.

Edited by Glassdogs

Yes. First time back in late 70's

i believe one of those votes was a bond for the airport, that was voted no, and one was was for the airport.

Interesting that you wrote this. I had lunch today with a person who was a member of the PCAA board when all this started. They validated exactly what I had posted previously in a thread regarding the application for the Part 139 Certificate. It had NOTHING to do with commercial flights, it was all about getting the certificate stating the airport's meeting security and aviation standards. The major manufacturer who wanted to build a facility at SCF to build corporate jets was the play. The "Allegiant" terminal/base was a diversion to keep other bidders away from the French firm. The Paulding 6 fell for the ruse. There NEVER WAS any real plan to fly passenger jets in and out of SCF. The City of Atlanta has about 18 months to decide if they are going to use those 10,000 acres as an airport,. the terms of the sale were that if they fail to use it as an airport, the original seller (Cousins Properties) may buy it back and resell, or develop the land. So, ya all need to be prepared for DHL, UPS, and FedEx to be building terminals near SCF and landing 737's out there about every 30 minutes around the clock. Because freight airliners DO NOT NEED Part 139 Certification.

oh lawd.... there will be some ticked off people if this comes true....

Declaring victory after winning a battle is premature. No entity EVER that held a title of "World's Blankest Anything" has given it up willingly. That's what's at stake for them.

Don't get me wrong, it's entirely possible that parcel (most likely) and some limited passenger air traffic may come to that field one day. It is not a forgone conclusion right now though. It's just begun to get expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

The idea of the reservoir was hatched in the 90s. Land purchases, government approvals and all that took 15 years to get to a point of the county asking voters for funding. It was not brought to us by Tony "out of work in December" Crowe as his campaign flier stated.

we are gonna pay for that reservor, water bills have already been said to go up on count of it. so it was not a gift, we will pay for it once again.

• Like 1