Paulding.com

Robo Calls From Your Same Prefix

These things drive me nuts and I'd always figured it was something like this. But it was interesting, I thought, to get a little more of the details of it:

http://www.news10.com/news/national/prevention-for-receiving-robocalls-similar-to-your-phone-number/1128830483

• Like 1

Thank you for that link. I'm getting tired of that same perky woman with different names calling me and telling me that I stayed in one of their resorts right before I hang up on her.

• Like 1

I have an iPhone. I’ve been getting these at least a couple of years. I never answer calls from numbers I don’t know. Once they have hung up I block the call myself in my phone. Granted it will run through a couple of more numbers, I block them also and it’s about a month before it starts over again.

• Like 3

I have an iPhone. I’ve been getting these at least a couple of years. I never answer calls from numbers I don’t know. Once they have hung up I block the call myself in my phone. Granted it will run through a couple of more numbers, I block them also and it’s about a month before it starts over again.

I get them on my iphone and my landline, which is a different number. Whenever I see that the location of the call is "Northeast Georgia" I'm afraid not to answer it because of family in that area. But you're right, I should just not answer, let it go to voice mail and call them back if it's family.

My solution is that nowadays there are ways to get a VOIP phone number for next to nothing. I put that number on any and all forms, call back numbers, etc. It doesn't ring anywhere that I can hear it. If the caller is for real they'll leave a message. That message is immediately converted to text and emailed to me which immediately shows up as a notification on my cell, so no worries. If their not for real there won't be a message, they've wasted their time and I don't even know they've called unless I go back and look.

As for the cell, anybody the phone doesn't know I don't answer.

• Like 2

My solution is that nowadays there are ways to get a VOIP phone number for next to nothing. I put that number on any and all forms, call back numbers, etc. It doesn't ring anywhere that I can hear it. If the caller is for real they'll leave a message. That message is immediately converted to text and emailed to me which immediately shows up as a notification on my cell, so no worries. If their not for real there won't be a message, they've wasted their time and I don't even know they've called unless I go back and look.

As for the cell, anybody the phone doesn't know I don't answer.

I had not even thought of that. Can you use VOIP to call Canada? I have several friends up there, only one has a US calling plan. We use that Whatsapp for emergency texts but otherwise have to stick to using Facebook messenger.

I had not even thought of that. Can you use VOIP to call Canada? I have several friends up there, only one has a US calling plan. We use that Whatsapp for emergency texts but otherwise have to stick to using Facebook messenger.

Yes you can call Canada on all of them I've seen.

I see more WhatsApp phishing emails than all the others.

Facebook has proven to be, as I've said forever, the debil.

• Like 1

Yes you can call Canada on all of them I've seen.

I see more WhatsApp phishing emails than all the others.

Facebook has proven to be, as I've said forever, the debil.

I'm going to check VOIPs out then. Any recommendations?

I'm going to check VOIPs out then. Any recommendations?

Yeah, go cheap. If you're using it for what I use it for that is.

I may not have been real clear. There is no phone even connected to my VOIP service. That would kinda defeat my particular purpose. There fine if you want to use them for that. But my whole purpose with it is to eliminate as many crap calls that I even hear a ring on as possible.

Just a thought. This isn't going to provide you much relief unless you change your everyday phone number. That's out there and there's no getting it back. Even if you stop using it for forms and such, it'll continue to be used by the ones that already have it and it'll continue to be sold.

I started both cell and VOIP at the same time. That's your only way to make it work right.

Just a thought. This isn't going to provide you much relief unless you change your everyday phone number. That's out there and there's no getting it back. Even if you stop using it for forms and such, it'll continue to be used by the ones that already have it and it'll continue to be sold.

I started both cell and VOIP at the same time. That's your only way to make it work right.

That is what's so aggravating. Both of my phone numbers are supposed to be on that national No-Call list, yet I still get these.

That is what's so aggravating. Both of my phone numbers are supposed to be on that national No-Call list, yet I still get these.

You may have noticed a running thread in my comments. No call list or not, every time you give that number out to anyone other than a private individual, it's subject to be added to a database and sold.

So basically it's us bringing it on ourselves for not gaurding it like SSN.

The robocalls that just dial random four digits after an area code and prefix don't care about the list either.

Edited by Blunt Trauma

Same thing for your e-mail or regular address. Selling data is the biggest industry in this country, and often it's people you give your money to for other things (buying a service or product) who are doing it. Where people hated sitting through a couple minutes of advertising to get free television they now pay ridiculous amounts of money for internet access or data plans so that advertisers have a direct pipeline to bombard them with ads. And they collect and store your data in order to fine tune those ads.

As a species, I am no longer convinced we are the smartest or even superior to any other. For various reasons and in many ways we seem to be devolving intellectually and emotionally. Look at the lengths we go to in order to avoid using our brains or bodies for anything that might be considered work. It's crazy.