Paulding.com

Widening Hwy 61 meeting Tuesday

There is a meeting on Tuesday April 17th at 5pm at Chattahoochee Tech concerning the widening of Hwy 61 from Dallas Nebo Rd. north to Dallas. This road goes past two cemeteries. It will interesting to see what they propose to do. I hope they don't have to move graves! Hoping they detour around. This will effect people that live on Hwy 61 as well.

There is a meeting on Tuesday April 17th at 5pm at Chattahoochee Tech concerning the widening of Hwy 61 from Dallas Nebo Rd. north to Dallas. This road goes past two cemeteries. It will interesting to see what they propose to do. I hope they don't have to move graves! Hoping they detour around. This will effect people that live on Hwy 61 as well.

I've built a retaining wall where the plans called out a protocol in case the foot of the grave next to it wasn't EXACTLY where we thought it was. There is a cemetary inside the gore area of an off ramp on I-75. I could go on, but you can bet safely that graves will not be moved.

• Like 1

Winndale was just recently paved....wouldn't you know?!?!?

Not THAT much of it.

I'd give it a 90% chance of the last 1/4 mile relocating south by less than 500'.

And a 10% chance of it being dead ended and that traffic routed south. Maybe less than 10%.

Edited to add about 2 out of 3 or better chance that there will be a median on 61 with no cut at Winndale making it a right in/right out only.

Edited by Blunt Trauma

Not THAT much of it.

I'd give it a 90% chance of the last 1/4 mile relocating south by less than 500'.

And a 10% chance of it being dead ended and that traffic routed south. Maybe less than 10%.

Edited to add about 2 out of 3 or better chance that there will be a median on 61 with no cut at Winndale making it a right in/right out only.

That's a good idea, there, Blunt Trauma...

From the Neighbor: http://www.mdjonline.com/neighbor_newspapers/west_georgia/news/open-meeting-set-tuesday-on-planned-hwy-widening-in-paulding/article_86eb99e4-41b6-11e8-ad3d-53fed0c15f48.html

Edited by MillCreek

No ideas, just experience.

Just a note of interest. If You read the article you'll see that the design changes at Hiram-Sudie. I don't know for sure, but I'd just about bet the roadway cross section will change there as well. That's all dictated by traffic counts. It would've made more sense to me for the project to be uniform, but that's the way the money rolls.

Edited by Blunt Trauma

I think the biggest cemetery issue is addressed by the narrowing of the road in the area south of Hiram-Sudie (GA120 alt) to Dallas-Nebo.

From the beginning of the project for approximately 1 mile heading toward Hiram Sudie Road, the proposed improvements include the construction of two 11-foot lanes in each direction, a variable flush median, and a 12-foot urban shoulder with 5-foot sidewalks.

The area north of Hiram Sudie

For the remainder of the project for approximately 3.5 miles, from Hiram Sudie Road to U.S. 278, the proposed improvements include two 11-foot lanes in each direction, a raised 20-foot median and a 12-foot urban shoulder with 5-foot sidewalks.

pubby

100% chance of Winndales intersection moving. So it will be addressed one way or another.

i hope so, that is a bad place it does not matter if you are turning on to winndale or coming from winndale.. they should move it away from that bridge.

I think they should block Hart Road from coming out on 61. Those folks sit there forever waiting to pull out towards Dallas--and then they wind up pulling out in front of somebody. It would probably be just as quick to go around and come out at the red light!

• Like 1

Current Open House Information for SR 61 Proposed Widening and Bridge Replacement General Description: The proposed project would widen SR 61 from just south of CR 467/Dallas Nebo Road to just north of US 278/SR 6/Dallas Bypass. The existing roadway is a two-lane/three-lane section with 12-foot lanes and 4-foot grassed shoulders. The existing bridge structure over the Silver Comet Trail will be replaced with a new bridge approximately 135 feet long and 90 feet wide. The project length is approximately 4.5 miles. Right-of-way would vary to approximately 200 feet.

from what i understand this will start year 2021 and take 2 years