Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
mimosaflower

Do you give Mail Carrier a Christmas tip?

I thought USPS was very strict about it until I read this.

Employee Tipping and Gift-Receiving Policy

All postal employees, including carriers, must comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct for Employees of the Exec­utive Branch. Under these federal regulations, carriers are permitted to accept a gift worth $20 or less from a customer per occasion, such as Christmas. However, cash and cash equivalents, such as checks or gift cards that can be exchanged for cash, must never be accepted in any amount. Furthermore, no employee may accept more than $50 worth of gifts from any one customer in any one calendar year period.

Source: http://bit.ly/1QLyelv

You have no idea, given the givens of this time of year, whether or not the mail carrier working your route the day you pick to do this is your regular person. The days of one carrier working one route everyday no matter what are no more.

Just sayin', knock yourself out though.

• Like 4

the only tip I have for mine is to get her lazy behind out of her truck and deliver my packages when it is raining or cold!! She refuses to leave them when it rains or is too cold. She puts a certified slip in my mailbox and writes "dog" on it. My dog is contained inside the house. She is just lazy!!!

I agree with BT--- when we had the same carrier every day she got tips, valentine cards and anything my wife wanted her to have. Today we may have several carriers in one week.

• Like 1

Yes we do as well as our sanitation workers and a UPS driver. The mail carrier and sanitation workers are the same most of the year. The UPS is just the lucky guy who we happened to catch before he ran back to the truck. We do cash or gift cards, a prepackaged food treat, and a small gift. We give just a little more than the rules posted above. Never saw them before.

• Like 1

I will not be tipping the mail carrier. Tipping a government employee to do their job is the way it is done in Mexico. You can get nothing done in Mexico unless you tip. I've seen people tipping the agent at airline ticket counters. Do you want to turn the US into another Mexico, where no one will do a decent job unless they are tipped.