Paulding.com

Missed this bit of scandal; why did they wipe the voting computers at KSU

Seems Brian Kemp, who is running for Governor, may have the inside track if he can keep a lid on things.

Things that make you go hummm?

The AJC hasn't been covering this, BTW - all the local reporting I've seen has been by the AP office.

Then there is this analysis on Alternet.

Something Very Strange Is Going on in a Georgia Election Lawsuit
Georgia's attorney general won't defend Secretary of State Brian Kemp after unexplained election server 'wipe'.
November 3, 2017, 6:19 AM GMT

This article first appeared on The Brad Blog.

The fallout following a lawsuit filed in Georgia after its U.S. House Special Election last June get curiouser and curiouser, as we learned this week that the state attorney general's office has now quit its defense of the Secretary of State and the state's other top election official defendants in the case.

We've been covering this mess for months now (years, really), but particularly since the lawsuit [PDF] was filed in July, after the somewhat surprising results from June's U.S. House Special Election in Georgia's 6th Congressional District, where GA's former Republican Sec. of State Karen Handel reportedly defeated Democratic candidate Jon Ossoff, but only on the state's 100% unverifiable Diebold touch-screen voting systems. (He defeated her nearly 2 to 1 on the only verifiable ballots in the race, the mail-in paper votes. Everything else regarding the results is unverifiable speculation.)

Late last week, we learned via Frank Bajak at the Associated Press, that technicians at Kennesaw State University's Center for Elections, which has been contracted to program all of Georgia's computer voting and tabulation systems systems for some 15 years, "wiped clean" the election server that was used to program the elections, ballots and tabulators, just days after the suit was filed in July. Its two backup servers were also subsequently wiped and "degaussed three times" in August, the day after the suit was moved from state to federal court.

GA's chief election official, Republican Sec. of State Brian Kemp, who is running for governor in 2018, claims he knew nothing of the server deletions until AP's report last week. Previously, a huge fan of the Center for Elections at Kennesaw, Kemp cited the "gross incompetence" and "undeniable ineptitude" of the folks at KSU for whatever happened. Nobody has yet to take credit, however, for giving the instructions to delete the servers which held critical evidence that plaintiffs had hoped to have forensically investigated as part of the lawsuit. And then yesterday, in another flip-flop, Kemp called the entire matter "#fakenews."

All of that is disturbing on its own, but even more so in light of revelations earlier this year that the election server in question—which stored personal data for all of GA's 6.7 million voters and the electronic ballot programming and administrative passwords for the state's voting and tabulation systems—was left completely accessible online, no password necessary, for at least six months. Kennesaw was notified about the vulnerability by a data security researcher in August of 2016 (months before last year's Presidential election), but they failed to secure the server until after Politico's Kim Zetter revealed the vulnerability just prior to the GA-06 U.S. House race this year. (Samantha Bee's "Full Frontal" covered much of the story up to this point on her show last night.)

Then, on Wednesday evening, AP's Bajak offered another bombshell in reporting that the Republican state attorney general's office, which had been defending Kemp, Kennesaw and the state Elections Board in the matter, has now pulled out from defending them. The reasons offered by the state AG and Kemp's campaign for Governor (he's running in 2018) have conflicted with each other or with known evidence obtained during the multi-partisan lawsuit, which a Kemp campaign spokesperson describes to AP yesterday as "a tasteless nothingburger cooked up by liberal activists who know their lawsuit is nothing short of stupid."

One of those "liberal activist" plaintiffs, Republican Marilyn Mark, a longtime election integrity advocate and executive director of the Coalition for Good Governance, confirms that nobody still knows who ordered the server deletion, nor why the state AG has dropped out of the case. "It's an enormous mystery, and the mysteries continue to increase every day," she says.

"I think that Brian Kemp is, and rightfully so, getting a black eye here," Marks tells me. "What he has done is shameful. There's no way to explain it. So I'm sure his defenders and campaign managers are doing everything they can to go on the offensive and try to make other people look like they are to blame, and that their candidate is innocent. But I think when people step back and say, wait a minute, if they erased the servers—and they did it twice—they did it for some reason. And it wasn't because our lawsuit was stupid." more:

pubby

Seems Brian Kemp, who is running for Governor, may have the inside track if he can keep a lid on things.

Things that make you go hummm?

The AJC hasn't been covering this, BTW - all the local reporting I've seen has been by the AP office.

Then there is this analysis on Alternet.

pubby

I read about this a while back. I was really surprised it wasn't a bigger deal in the news. As far as I am concerned someone needs to do jail time. Our country is founded on voting for our leadership. This is most grievous.

• Like 1

You do have to ask, who's counting the votes? Machines? He who programs the machine could theoretically be bought off...cash money in a paper sack makes all sorts of things happen.

As slow as paper ballots and hanging chads are, I like to see a paper trail. Pubby may just have a point on this issue, this one issue out of ten thousand. But I suppose democrats have to be right occasionally.

Any one wonder why the GOP is becoming known for its low-information voters?

You're not the only one laughing, zorro.

pubby

You just can't seem to help yourself when it comes to insulting people who usually disagree with you in discussions. Apparently you didn't see the sarcasm meant for humor in her post.

• Like 1

They made a copy of all of it before it was wiped to get it ready to be used again. the copy was given to the folks investigating. I don't like Brian Kemp and hope he is not the candidate for Governor on the GOP side. This is a non story though.

• Like 1

NJ:

All the reports I've seen say the only copy was one made much earlier in the spring as part of the FBI-Russian hacking investigation and none that involved the sixth district congressional special election were made; indeed those are the ones 'wiped.' This would be the AP reporting.

LPPT: Yes, I missed it altogether. Apparently the AP did the story in the AJC but a Trump Tweet about football players kneeling or some other absurdity coming from the administration sucked up all the news time.

Rhett: Yes, voting is a key function of government and they absolutely need to do it right ... and transparently.

Zorro: I thought I was joking back. FYI: The original post didn't include the standalone term "suit" anywhere. The references in the main article referenced lawsuit. Next , I guess you are going to be like an old neighbor of mine who used to threaten to Sue me by having his 289 lb sister named Sue come beat me up.

pubby

NJ:

All the reports I've seen say the only copy was one made much earlier in the spring as part of the FBI-Russian hacking investigation and none that involved the sixth district congressional special election were made; indeed those are the ones 'wiped.' This would be the AP reporting.

LPPT: Yes, I missed it altogether. Apparently the AP did the story in the AJC but a Trump Tweet about football players kneeling or some other absurdity coming from the administration sucked up all the news time.

Rhett: Yes, voting is a key function of government and they absolutely need to do it right ... and transparently.

Zorro: I thought I was joking back. FYI: The original post didn't include the standalone term "suit" anywhere. The references in the main article referenced lawsuit. Next , I guess you are going to be like an old neighbor of mine who used to threaten to Sue me by having his 289 lb sister named Sue come beat me up.

pubby

The report I read said it was copied after the questions of the 6th District election were raised and it was turned over to the FBI. I would love to say this is another thing against Kemp but it is a non story.

NJ:

From what I've read the lawsuit was filed and the database was wiped. The FBI would have had an older copy but usually the FBI doesn't get involved in civil suits and would have not had a reason to get or request the server backup file in the time frame of the lawsuit. The FBI is not a party to the lawsuit. Its interest was in the spring (before the election) and in regard to the Russian hacking.

I think someone may be manipulating not the existence of the FBI backup, but the timing of that backup in regard the July special election. The alternet link in the OP and the AP story in the AJC are the sources. I know the alternet article states that and I'm pretty sure the AP article does as well.

pubby

pubby

NJ:

pubby

You thought you were joking back by saying, "Any one wonder why the GOP is becoming known for its low-information voters?" Doesn't sound like a joke, but more like an insult. I suppose your sense of humor is on the same level of some bratty kid who calls a parent "stupid," and then says, "I was just kidding" when he gets punished.

You just can't seem to help yourself when it comes to insulting people who usually disagree with you in discussions. Apparently you didn't see the sarcasm meant for humor in her post.

To be sarcastic about low information individuals, and politicians who appreciates their lack of knowledge, is like displaying an example of a low information profile.

I have empathy for a lot of people; you're not one of them.

YOU have empathy, E Z? :rofl:

To be sarcastic about low information individuals, and politicians who appreciates their lack of knowledge, is like displaying an example of a low information profile.

Who mentioned low information individuals in this topic? Oh, that would be pubby.