Paulding.com

Spinning restaurant lawsuit

The first thing I thought when I heard what happened is why was he up running around? He was a toddler. Why weren’t they watching him? Why wasn’t he seated? The Sundial is an upscale restaurant, not McDonald’s. Parents do not control their kids anymore. The parents are to blame for not keeping their child seated or at least watching what he was doing. Money won’t replace the child but the restaurant will probably settle to keep it out of the news.

While I agree with the sentiments of parental responsibility, I have no doubt that the parents will win. As a responsible business owner you have to head off the possibility of someone becoming injured on your property of due to your negligence. In a public restaurant, patrons are eating dinner and not expecting their children to be endangered by the very walls sheltering them. Its not like a case of not paying attention to your children and they stick their finger in an electrical outlet or fall down a flight of stairs. Children should not have access to dangerous areas and at the end of the day that is where the issue will rest.

Personally, if I'm eating at a high end restaurant I don't want children roaming around, but my high end restaurant is someone else's Applebees...LOL

- Jamie

The child was less than four feet away from his parents at the time of the accident.

:(

And he was 5 years old, not a toddler. His parents are saying they were finished eating and leaving the restaurant so the child was not just wandering around.

• Like 2

Forget the rotation and child care issues. If you've got a public building and you have a gap between the floor & wall big enough for someone to get trapped... You better have a good attorney if someone gets caught in your gap. An owner and business operator have a duty to provide a safe place of business. I hope the insurance company's involved have the good sense to settle quickly.

• Like 2

The restaurant will probably settle, but the parents share 99.9999% of the blame here.

Control you kids or leave them at home with a sitter.......

My wife and I were at the Mall of Georgia yesterday. I couldn't believe how small kids were running around different stores unsupervised.