Paulding.com

Mass shooting at church in Texas today.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The only thing that stops a criminal with a gun, is someone else who also has a gun. In this case, an armed, private citizen gave chase to the criminal and now there's no need to spend taxpayer money

That mentally deranged man would buy a gun, whether or not he could do it legally. How can anyone not understand, a psycho will get a gun and use it, no matter what the laws are. Law abiding, sane

A local citizen grabbed his rifle and engaged the shooter effectively ending the rampage. It has been reported that the shooter was dishonorably discharged and court-martialed. If true, it was alr

Posted Images

I was thinking that most Texans were armed. But, nobody had a gun, it seems. Prayers for the victims.

A local citizen grabbed his rifle and engaged the shooter effectively ending the rampage.

It has been reported that the shooter was dishonorably discharged and court-martialed. If true, it was already illegal for him to possess firearms. Clearly he had to have mental issues to commit this terrible act.

• Like 5

A local citizen grabbed his rifle and engaged the shooter effectively ending the rampage.

It has been reported that the shooter was dishonorably discharged and court-martialed. If true, it was already illegal for him to possess firearms. Clearly he had to have mental issues to commit this terrible act.

The good samaritan with the rifle may have been the one who followed and killed the shooter. One story is that police killed him if he did not kill himself. Either way, the SOB is dead.

• Like 2

So it was already illegal for the shooter to have a gun, but he still had one.

And a citizen with a legally obtained gun stopped him.

The reality of what gun control would have done in this case is; it would not have stopped the shooter from having a gin, but it would have disarmed the good guy and prevented him from stopping the bad guy.

America needs to stop chasing fairy tails and think with some logic for a change. And then we need to ask ourselves why the left wants to disarm peaceful and law abiding citizens.

The answer to my last question can be found by studying history.

• Like 2

I hope America never gets tired of the rights given to them in the Bill of Rights. For without guns, citizens are subject to the gangs and government.

"shall not be infringed" is pretty clear........no it's very clear. Gun control is a dark path down the road where only the "militia" and gangs will have guns. As such, I give you Venezuela.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-crime/venezuela-crushes-2000-guns-in-public-plans-registry-of-bullets-idUSKCN10S2I9

• Like 1

So this week prayers will offered, Teddy Bears piled and candles lit, by the weekend it will all be forgotten and we will wait patiently for the next event. It is absolutely amazing this country has lasted as long as it has.

So do you honestly believe gun control will stop mass killings? I'm curious as to how you think that will happen?

• Like 1

He apparently bought the gun in 2016 at a store. I don't think anyone here is suggesting we take all the guns. I am not anti-gun but you can't blame people for being fed up and upset by this. People can't even go to church now without being murdered or worried about being murdered. It's not ok.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-church-shooting-suspect-assault-weapon-domestic-violence/story?id=50956032

He apparently bought the gun in 2016 at a store. I don't think anyone here is suggesting we take all the guns. I am not anti-gun but you can't blame people for being fed up and upset by this. People can't even go to church now without being murdered or worried about being murdered. It's not ok.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-church-shooting-suspect-assault-weapon-domestic-violence/story?id=50956032

It sounds to me as if the Air Force may not have entered his conviction into NCIC.

So do you honestly believe gun control will stop mass killings? I'm curious as to how you think that will happen?

If we had come to our senses seventeen damned years ago back in 1999 when the children of Columbine were gunned down maybe, but we just kept ignoring the problem like it would go away all by itself . If we had addressed high capacity magazines, bump stocks, the ability to mass thousands of rounds of ammunition and stiffened background checks we may have had a chance but the NRA and gun nuts would have none of it, now I'm afraid we have reached a tipping point where we may just have to bury the dead, light the candles and accept the insanity.

Edited by CitizenCain

If we had come to our senses fifteen damned years ago back when the children of Columbine were gunned down in 1999 maybe, but we just kept ignoring the problem like it would go away all by itself . If we had addressed high capacity magazines, bump stocks, the ability to mass thousands of rounds of ammunition and stiffened background checks we may have had a chance but the NRA and the gun nuts would have none of it, now I'm afraid we have reached a tipping point where we may just have to bury the dead, light the candles and accept the insanity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act_of_1968

:mellow:

I assume you're making a point though I have no idea what it is.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA or GCA68) It primarily focuses on regulating interstate commerce in firearms by generally prohibiting interstate firearms transfers except among licensed manufacturers, dealers and importers.

I assume you're making a point though I have no idea what it is.

The Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA or GCA68) It primarily focuses on regulating interstate commerce in firearms by generally prohibiting interstate firearms transfers except among licensed manufacturers, dealers and importers.

It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person— (1) is under indictment for, or has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year; (2) is a fugitive from justice; (3) is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802)); (4) has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution; (5) who, being an alien— (A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or (B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101 (a)(26))); (6) who [2] has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions; (7) who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his citizenship; (8) is subject to a court order that restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child, except that this paragraph shall only apply to a court order that— (A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had the opportunity to participate; and (B) (i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or (ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury; or (9) has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

8)

You would think that with all those commercials on tv begging people with issues to come get free mental health care this wouldn't happen anymore. You would think with them keeping people until they showed marked improvement the mentally ill would not be turned back onto the street. As Americans, we are doing our best to help these sick people but they just keep killing and killing. Maybe we should just give up and accept this as how it is going to be.It's a shame for all those dead people and their families.

You would think that with all those commercials on tv begging people with issues to come get free mental health care this wouldn't happen anymore. You would think with them keeping people until they showed marked improvement the mentally ill would not be turned back onto the street. As Americans, we are doing our best to help these sick people but they just keep killing and killing. Maybe we should just give up and accept this as how it is going to be.It's a shame for all those dead people and their families.

What commercials ? I haven't seen anything offering free care,

You cannot legislate away evil.

No but you can stop enabling them.

You cannot legislate away evil.

You can't take away their trucks, cars, planes, and drones either and still have a free country. Thank goodness for the legally armed citizen who chased that guy down! We need more of the good guys with guns.The shooter was illegally armed BTW.

• Like 3

And that would make you an idiot.

No, that would be the people who refuse to even have a conversation about it. I have plenty of gun enthusiast friends that admit something should be done. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. The irrational fear that someone is going to take all the guns has people unable to think clearly.

No, that would be the people who refuse to even have a conversation about it. I have plenty of gun enthusiast friends that admit something should be done. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. The irrational fear that someone is going to take all the guns has people unable to think clearly.

If you think the liberal conversation is about a little gun control think again. An armed society is a polite society. We need more good guys with guns. Have you noticed that most of these attacks happen in gun free zones?

• Like 1

The Gun Control Act of 1968 made it illegal for him to own a gun. Yet he had one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Control_Act_of_1968

Yet another example of the incompetence of the federal government.

So gun control failed. Even tougher gun control could have prevented the man who stopped the shooter from having a gun, and allowed more people to die.

I think all of us agree that we need to do something. But doing something just for the sake of doing something is often not wise. We need to take politics out of this and find some logical solutions. And above all...STOP ALL THE HATE coming from all sides!

Note: This was a general rant and not aimed at you. You appear to be trying to take a reasonable approach to this. :)

• Like 3

His comment was idiotic because of what he actually said. He wrote the following

...people like you that refuse to look at any solution are as much responsible for these senseless killings as the ones that pull the trigger.

Equating people that disagree with policy to the guy that did the killing is simply stupid and idiotic and he should be ashamed.

• Like 5

I think what we need is a change of heart not a change of laws. The solution seems so simple to me. Put the 10 Commandments back in public places. Put prayer back in schools and public gatherings. Honor our Flag, Pledge of Allegiance and National Antium.

We used to hear the term "We Are A Melting Pot". I took that as honoring we were many different people joined together to honor a special nation. Today it seems anything morally corrupt and nasty is upheld and things clean and honoring are shoved into the background.

If Chicago were one of the most safest places to live & visit I might agree gun control is a solution. But with innocent people being attacked almost weekly I feel a change of heart is our only chance of returning to a civil society.

Just this past weekend I read where a high school football coach had been banned from praying with his team. And more sadly we just rode by Home Depot in Hiram, I saw the white rental trucks and my first thought was "Weapon".

Why is it prayer and pledge in a public place now seen as threatening?

His comment was idiotic because of what he actually said. He wrote the following

...people like you that refuse to look at any solution are as much responsible for these senseless killings as the ones that pull the trigger.

Equating people that disagree with policy to the guy that did the killing is simply stupid and idiotic and he should be ashamed.

Partisan politics is actually hindering us from addressing the real problems.

As I've stated before: Anyone who is still a partisan in this day and time is part of the problem.

Well, people who are complacent are part of the problem. Edited by jenilyn

"Something..."

8)

Well, people who are complacent are part of the problem.

As are people who immediately fall in lockstep with their political party's propaganda. EX: Those here that immediately started in on gun control, gun control. We have gun control laws on the books that might have prevented this, yet they failed.

Politics is preventing us from addressing the real issues.

OK. Let's start the conversation. What measures would you suggest to the President and leadership of both houses of Congress?

I think what we need is a change of heart not a change of laws. The solution seems so simple to me. Put the 10 Commandments back in public places. Put prayer back in schools and public gatherings. Honor our Flag, Pledge of Allegiance and National Antium.

We used to hear the term "We Are A Melting Pot". I took that as honoring we were many different people joined together to honor a special nation. Today it seems anything morally corrupt and nasty is upheld and things clean and honoring are shoved into the background.

If Chicago were one of the most safest places to live & visit I might agree gun control is a solution. But with innocent people being attacked almost weekly I feel a change of heart is our only chance of returning to a civil society.

Just this past weekend I read where a high school football coach had been banned from praying with his team. And more sadly we just rode by Home Depot in Hiram, I saw the white rental trucks and my first thought was "Weapon".

Why is it prayer and pledge in a public place now seen as threatening?

The term 'melting pot' refers to the fact that we have a diverse population.

Being that there have been multiple mass shootings take place in churches, I am not sure prayer in schools and public gatherings is the answer, nor can it be relied upon to change the heart/mind of a mentally disturbed individual.

If people don't respect the right of another person to simply exist, having them go through the motions of reciting the pledge or standing during the anthem will do little more than consume a few minutes of their time. A person without empathy isn't going to experience a transformation by which they suddenly care about others or feel remorse for inflicting harm on innocent people.

A change might be brought about by treating people with decency and courtesy, and investing in their well-being - including the availability of mental and other health services rather than marginalization and isolation of those who are least able to manage their problems.

That approach certainly hasn't benefited society at large, it has only made matters worse.

The question should be whether in a free country anyone should be coerced or forced to participate in a patriotic or religious activity if they do not wish to do so...

Our problem is that politics has replaced governance, leadership and common sense. The reason nothing gets done or only gets done at an astronomical cost to taxpayers and in such a convoluted manner that the situation is actually complicated further is to prevent any disruption in the money churn between corporations, special interests and politicians.

There are simple, affordable ways to approach our problems but no will to challenge the status quo.

• Like 5