Paulding.com

NFL national anthem

There is no handbook as to how black people should feel about anything. Lol. We are all individuals. My point is that I listen to what my black friends say. I agree with them and I stand (and kneel) with them.

What if I told you I was passed over for a job years ago because I was white? The black lady in HR called me into her office and shut the door and told me that because she said she owed it to me.

Does that constitute a black supremacy?

Of course not. I know your black friends have been treated badly at times because of their skin color. Again...no one is denying that racism still exists. But a vast white supremacy? No. And stirring the pot only makes it worse.

Wanna be outraged over something that I can agree with you about? Let's be outraged over trapping people on modern day plantations and locking them into a life of dependency.

• Like 1
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saw this posted on FB     Ret. Marine Col. Jeffery Powers wrote the following to the NFL commissioners: Commissioners, I’ve been a season pass holder at Yankee Stadium, Yale Bowl and the Giants St

Their TV ratings have fallen since Colin Kaepernick started kneeling for the anthem.. Why not stick to football and stop playing politics? It's turned into such a media circus, I think I'll stick to c

And equally, the right to vote with our feet and our wallets to not support in any way the "entertainment" provided by football players or Hollywood.

What if I told you I was passed over for a job years ago because I was white? The black lady in HR called me into her office and shut the door and told me that because she said she owed it to me.

Does that constitute a black supremacy?

Of course not. I know your black friends have been treated badly at times because of their skin color. Again...no one is denying that racism still exists. But a vast white supremacy? No. And stirring the pot only makes it worse.

Wanna be outraged over something that I can agree with you about? Let's be outraged over trapping people on modern day plantations and locking them into a life of dependency.

You have been "stirring the pot" on this thread since 4 o'clock this afternoon.

What is the desired or expected outcome of all the players kneeling during the anthem? Can someone answer that for me? Please tell me what is a possible outcome, not a pie in the sky outcome.

Similarly, what is the desired or expected outcome of Trump fanning the flames about this? Logically, why would he do this?

• Like 1

What is the desired or expected outcome of all the players kneeling during the anthem? Can someone answer that for me? Please tell me what is a possible outcome, not a pie in the sky outcome.

Similarly, what is the desired or expected outcome of Trump fanning the flames about this? Logically, why would he do this?

Attention. I'm interested in knowing what all these kneelers are doing to "help" when they aren't in front of a camera. Or on going viral Facebook post.

Let's be outraged over trapping people on modern day plantations and locking them into a life of dependency.

You might be shocked to know but people of color are also doctors, lawyers, politicians business owners and a lot more than the poor welfare dependant people you make them out to be.

• Like 2

You might be shocked to know but people of color are also doctors, lawyers, politicians business owners and a lot more than the poor welfare dependant people you make them out to be.

That is very true and I'm impressed you are so observant. Many of those professional people of color are also Republicans. Were you aware of that?

Exactly.

So much for the white supremacy BS.

Thank you for agreeing with me.

• Like 1

Exactly.

So much for the white supremacy BS.

Thank you for agreeing with me.

White supremacy is a philosophy not a record of accomplishment, if that were the case there wouldn't be so toothless losers carrying torches. Agreeing with you ? Not in this life maybe the next but I doubt it,

White supremacy is a philosophy not a record of accomplishment, if that were the case there wouldn't be so toothless losers carrying torches. Agreeing with you ? Not in this life maybe the next but I doubt it,

A philosophy?

The current incarnation of it is a strategy from the left that uses emotion to control their faithful followers.

Seriously...you made my point for me. There is opportunity for all of us if we work hard and pay our dues. The only supremacy I recognize is that of God.

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly.

I disagree with the kneeling protest and I disagree they have the right to do it while representing their employer.

Having said that . . .

What is their goal?

To bring attention to the plight of people of color by disrespecting the flag of the Nation that has given them the opportunities they have?

Ok.

What is the end game?

How do they intend to measure success in getting their message out there?

At what point do they decide they have done enough?

In this instance, I believe the nfl will discontinue the playing of the National Anthem and the unfurling of the flag and probably give the excuse of not wanting to cause further division.

We need a good, old-fashioned players strike that spans a couple of seasons to remind the players, the owners and the nfl exactly what they are here for in the first place - to make money by entertaining us.

I can live without it.

I can even skip going to the game on 11/12.

Or maybe just go look at the stadium.

• Like 5

"Even this evil is productive of good. It prevents the degeneracy of government and nourishes a general attention to the public affairs. I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical".

""God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.

The people cannot be all, and always, well informed.

The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts
they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions,
it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ...

And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not
warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of
resistance?

Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as
to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost
in a century or two?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from
time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure."

​Thomas Jefferson

Edited by CitizenCain
  • Like 1

Not really ironic at all. People who serve our country are fighting for our freedoms which includes the freedom to a peaceful protest. Nobody has to like it or agree with it but they must respect the right if they truly respect what America is all about.

Our disgrace in chief has done more dividing with his childish Tantrums and white supremacist sympathizing than Kaepernick or anyone else taking a knee on a field could ever do. Trump asked for this and I couldn't be happier. It was a wonderful sight seeing all those football players arm in arm supporting each other and basically telling trump to have several seats. #Murica

It also was Gold Star Mothers day yesterday, what a messed up thing to do. Most of their kids probably loved to watch football. How about those over payed football players showing them some respect, instead of protesting people who were breaking the law and then upset the cops were found innocent. SMH

• Like 1

Those NFL players who played in London the other night and took a knee during our national anthem and then stood for the British anthem, demonstrated just how ignorant they are. They kneel in protest because they feel our flag an anthem represents oppression, but have they taken a look at the history of the UK? At one time the UK colonized much of the world and how did they treat the people of those countries?

ANOTHER FOR THE "CAN'T MAKE THIS UP" FILE

The Oakland Raiders wanted to stay inside the locker room for the National Anthem, but they would have been issued a penalty.

So instead of getting a penalty they came out and knelt instead. So much for sacrifice and convictions.

Not really ironic at all. People who serve our country are fighting for our freedoms which includes the freedom to a peaceful protest. Nobody has to like it or agree with it but they must respect the right if they truly respect what America is all about.

Our disgrace in chief has done more dividing with his childish Tantrums and white supremacist sympathizing than Kaepernick or anyone else taking a knee on a field could ever do. Trump asked for this and I couldn't be happier. It was a wonderful sight seeing all those football players arm in arm supporting each other and basically telling trump to have several seats. #Murica

This ironically, contradictory attitude is one of the reasons people are tired of respecting the left's "rights."

Maybe someone can answer this for me. Why would our President take a mostly ignored, seldom discussed, relatively insignificant protest by a few athletes and lift it to the level of what now is a national discussion. What was his motive, what possible effect was he looking to achieve ?

darby.gif

Edited by CitizenCain

The overwhelming majority of Americans respect and revere our national anthem. I suspect that majority is even higher among voters in flyover country. It's not a very smart move to attack their values in what amounts to meaningless virtue signaling. Andrew Breitbart was famous for observing that politics flows downstream from culture. Mainstream Democrats and moderate Liberals are not supporting these protests. Watching millionaire athletes, whose careers are only possible in this country, disrespect and divide our nation is not going to play well in Perioa.

So by all means... please continue.

The optics ensure that Dems will only lose more elections...

• Like 1

The fair was totally awesome...very crowded though and it was a bit warm. My wife still refuses to ride the Ferris Wheel because shes scared of heights, but the carousel was a ton of fun, the food was awesome and there was a good time by all.

As far as the protesters, here's my two cents worth. Last week folks were protesting at Georgia Tech over the treatment of an armed LGBT student activist who got shot by the police. The week before that it was some Not Guilty verdict in Missouri, the week before that it was about General Lee and Stonewall Jackson, the week before that it was against funding for the wall, the week before that it was the travel ban. The media keep fanning the flames, inciting folks so they'll have something to put on the 6 o'clock news. You should take a step back and see what's happening, yet some folks are too blind to see it.

There's more to life than watching protesters. Turn off the TV and spend time outside. Life's too short to get upset at protesters. Ignore them.

I did see the NFL player Alejandro Villenueva on the news this morning. THE ONLY Steelers player who stood for the anthem. I currently have no NFL Jerseys or stickers and so forth, but I might just go an buy a jersey of his. That guy is a class act.

• Like 2

Maybe someone can answer this for me. Why would our President take a mostly ignored, seldom discussed, relatively insignificant protest by a few athletes and lift it to the level of what now is a national discussion. What was his motive, what possible effect was he looking to achieve ?

Well he doesn't have a 39% approval rating for no reason.

ANOTHER FOR THE "CAN'T MAKE THIS UP" FILE

The Oakland Raiders wanted to stay inside the locker room for the National Anthem, but they would have been issued a penalty.

So instead of getting a penalty they came out and knelt instead. So much for sacrifice and convictions.

The NFL rule is and always has been that the players are supposed to be on the field for the national anthem. The rule also states they are to stand holding their helmet in their left hand and with their right hand over their heart. They rule also states they are not to talk during the national anthem.

I can remember when all players stood this way on the sidelines during the playing of the national anthem.

Edited by El Zorro
  • Like 1

If they are doing this to protest against Trump--then they are doing it all wrong. I seem to think that is mainly what they are doing. Yes, he is the President, but they need to find some other way to protest him and not do it in a way that protests what our country stands for (for many, many years).

I would be interested to see if it is actually in the NFL rulebook, code of conduct or whatever it is called that they are required to stand. If it is--then they should all be fined. They work for the NFL and should be treated just like any other employee.

• Like 2

Being played by the media and Trump being an idiot can both be true.

I know that you would prefer that the media would ignore police brutality, right wing extremism and the vile character Trump has brought to America it makes you feel uncomfortable, I get that but while ignorance may be bliss the problem is it solves nothing.

Edited by CitizenCain
  • Like 2

I find no mention of a "national anthem" or a "flag" in the US Constitution.

When did we first start having an official "national anthem"? When did we start standing for it? Under what circumstances, and who advocated that action?

I loath virtue-signaling patriotism. When you know that most of them haven't read the Constitution since middle school, if that.

Patriotism isn't found in standing for a song at an athletic event. Or pledging "allegiance". It's a bit more than that...

• Like 2

No sir I am not!

The Democratic Party is keeping the race issue stirred up on purpose.

We were headed in the right direction. Certainly, there were still pockets of racism all around, but it was getting less and less as time went on. The Democrats have stirred the pot ever since Obama stuck his nose into a local law enforcement matter and then the rest of the party jumped on board once they saw how effective it was at controlling their voters.

Your party is dividing our nation worse than I've seen since before Dr. King was alive. And some of you seem quite giddy about it.

It takes two to fight....I would say BOTH parties are doing a great job of keeping things stirred up

I know that you would prefer that the media would ignore police brutality, right wing extremism and the vile character Trump has brought to America it makes you feel uncomfortable, I get that but while ignorance may be bliss the problem is it solves nothing.

You certainly read much more into my post than was intended.

Patriotism isn't found in standing for a song at an athletic event. Or pledging "allegiance". It's a bit more than that...

You are correct.

At its essence, patriotism is about respect.

Respect for the symbols representing the nation that affords an individual countless freedoms and opportunities.

Respect for those who have served and sacrificed (in various capacities) to achieve and/or protect those freedoms and opportunities.

Respect for the institution that. while far from perfect, gives all of us the chance to do better than those before us.

The Pledge of Allegiance was brought about to instill a sense of pride in one's Country.

The idea of playing the National Anthem before a sporting event was to ensure that everyone remembered that we are all united by Country, even if we are opposed in sport.

And while you "loath virtue-signaling patriotism", I loath the ignorant jumping on the band-wagon without clear purpose and I certainly loath those who defend them in it.

• Like 2

The fair was totally awesome...very crowded though and it was a bit warm. My wife still refuses to ride the Ferris Wheel because shes scared of heights, but the carousel was a ton of fun, the food was awesome and there was a good time by all.

As far as the protesters, here's my two cents worth. Last week folks were protesting at Georgia Tech over the treatment of an armed LGBT student activist who got shot by the police. The week before that it was some Not Guilty verdict in Missouri, the week before that it was about General Lee and Stonewall Jackson, the week before that it was against funding for the wall, the week before that it was the travel ban. The media keep fanning the flames, inciting folks so they'll have something to put on the 6 o'clock news. You should take a step back and see what's happening, yet some folks are too blind to see it.

There's more to life than watching protesters. Turn off the TV and spend time outside. Life's too short to get upset at protesters. Ignore them.

I did see the NFL player Alejandro Villenueva on the news this morning. THE ONLY Steelers player who stood for the anthem. I currently have no NFL Jerseys or stickers and so forth, but I might just go an buy a jersey of his. That guy is a class act.

He also is a VET with a Bronze star and many other medals.

• Like 1

You are correct.

At its essence, patriotism is about respect.

Respect for the symbols representing the nation that affords an individual countless freedoms and opportunities.

Respect for those who have served and sacrificed (in various capacities) to achieve and/or protect those freedoms and opportunities.

Respect for the institution that. while far from perfect, gives all of us the chance to do better than those before us.

The Pledge of Allegiance was brought about to instill a sense of pride in one's Country.

The idea of playing the National Anthem before a sporting event was to ensure that everyone remembered that we are all united by Country, even if we are opposed in sport.

And while you "loath virtue-signaling patriotism", I loath the ignorant jumping on the band-wagon without clear purpose and I certainly loath those who defend them in it.

It's not the Pledge Of Allegiance that is being protested, cmorg, it is indeed the National Anthem. These people know the words "And, Justice for All" is bull chit. If you don't have money your justice is at the bottom of the sea, and that is where the chit lands.

I thought the chit was to hit a fan ...... :unsure:

j/k

Some of it does hit the fan, CO!

When you don't believe you have justice as well as you are supposed to believe you do, chit starts hitting the fan, these days. Demographics are changing some of the directions of the chit.

I have always been under the impression that Americans believe that professional athletes are worth every penny paid them.

It was all about the principal when baseball players when on strike. There is a lot overlooked. It is well known that many athletes sacrifice themselves by the permanent injuries they sustain in their careers. Why not overlook this? It seems to me that folks have little regard for them off the field. They play the game, they ruin their bodies, there are plenty of people waiting to take their place. Professional sports are a multibillion-dollar industry, that has never made much sense to me.

One thing I have noticed over the years is that avid sports fans also seem to be more aggressive about politics. They often even use the same language for both. Could that be why they are reacting so strongly about what they consider a lack of patriotism?

I have seldom seen those on the right accept any protest. They are okay with Trump rallies though.

By definition, a protest is intended to get your attention. The way I see it, it is a safe way to protest, no chance of violent rioting, burning, and looting. There is a fine line between disliking the manner of the protest and believing they don't really have a good reason to protest. I tend to think that for many it is both.

Well he doesn't have a 39% approval rating for no reason.

. The NFL's ratings are in the toilet for good reason. Regular folks watch sports to relax and have a good time. They do not tune in to see social justice warriors virtue signaling their Leftist politics and disrespecting cherished time honored American traditions. Do you even know why they play the national anthem at sporting events ? ? ?

It's an exercise in unity to remind us that even though we are competitors on the field, we are all Americans at heart.

• Like 3