Paulding.com

Economic Development in SC

Here is a press release that references our former Economic Development Director. I'm missing Jamie but at the same time proud of the contribution he is making to help make my home state a better place to work and live.

"Lancaster County Government released the following press release regarding the Department of Economic Development's first year of operation. Jamie is quoted saying... I'm extremely humbled by the quotes form business leaders and thought about asking for them to be edited but it's what was provided and came from their hearts so they stayed. It took me twenty-six years to land in a place where work and life provide total enjoyment each and every day but I found it.

=======

Lancaster County Announces an Excellent First Year of Operations for New Department of Economic Development

July 28, 2017-Lancaster, SC - Lancaster County announced that the Lancaster County Department of Economic Developments (LCDEDs) first full fiscal year of operations under the leadership of its Director Jamie Gilbert was a phenomenal success. Lancaster County released a report which highlighted a number of LCDEDs operational, marketing, product development, existing industry, workforce development, business attraction and expansion successes, and milestones achieved by the department in Fiscal Year 2017 (FY 17) which ran from July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2017.

Beginning with Jamie Gilbert assuming the role of LCDEDs Director in July 2016 and ending with a record setting year of job announcements, the report detailed LCDEDs programs, initiatives, undertakings and accomplishments in FY 17. In its first year, our new Lancaster County Department of Economic Development facilitated tremendous growth and provided exceptional services in Lancaster County, which is one of the most dynamic business locations in the southeastern United States. The staff is innovative and resourceful in recruiting new industry to the County, as well as working diligently to foster and maintain relationships with existing Lancaster County businesses. This past year was a record setting year for economic development in Lancaster County and we encourage any business looking to move to Lancaster County to contact our remarkable staff at the Economic Development Department. said Lancaster County Council Chairman Steve Harper.

LCDED Director Jamie Gilbert said he couldnt be more appreciative of the opportunity the county council gave him to lead Lancaster Countys economic development efforts and said the first year provided confirmation that coming here was the right decision. I always felt in my heart that coming to Lancaster County was meant to be. I had a great feeling about our community from the first time I visited and it has never left. We have an outstanding economic development team, county council and partners that understand our mission and enthusiastically support it. There are a lot of folks that deserve thanks for helping to make this first year such a success for us. We are truly blessed, said Gilbert.

Highlights of the FY 17 Economic Development Report included:

OPERATIONS

Assembled its three person staff that consisting of Jamie Gilbert (Director), John McCain (Existing Industry Manager) and Amanda Thompson (Economic Development Assistant).

Formed of the Economic Development Advisory Board (EDAB) to assist and advise LCDED on economic development matters.

Established LCDEDs operations at 1033 West Meeting Street in Lancaster.

Engaged Creative Economic Development Consulting to assist LCDED in preparing an economic development strategic plan for the department.

MARKETING AND PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT

Created a new logo and tagline for marketing the countys economic development efforts.

Developed a number of new marketing materials including a website, brochures and videos.

Extensively used social media to promote Lancaster County as a business location and economic development news.

Served as the point of contact for developing and recommending industrial use changes to the recently passed Unified Development Ordinance (UDO).

Expanded and improved the countys inventory of available industrial and office properties.

Prepared an analysis of the potential and risks for undertaking a spec building in the county.

EXISTING INDUSTRY AND WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT

Established a business retention and expansion program in October which resulted in visits to 64 manufacturers, industrial companies and corporate facilities throughout the county.

Provided direct assistance to 25 county businesses on a variety of issues including zoning, transportation, marketing and incentives.

Participated and organized a number of activities to assist local and state workforce development partners and businesses.

BUSINESS ATTRACTION AND EXPANSION

Developed incentive guidelines and policies for projects-including a tier system within the county and providing for greater incentives to existing industry.

Purchased and utilized an incentive model to run property tax incentive scenarios for projects and the LOCI cost benefit analysis program, developed by Georgia Tech, to determine the economic impact of new and expanding projects when incentives are awarded.

Facilitated seven announced new and expanding businesses that included Central Wire, PCI Group, CompuCom Systems, Movement Mortgage, Springs Global, Unique Loom and Simpson Electric Company. Combined these projects are expected to have an estimated 2,842 new jobs, annual payroll of $157.5 million and $85.8 million in new investment.

Announced the largest job announcement in the Carolinas was CompuCom Systems new 1,500 person global headquarters.

The 2,843 new jobs for the FY 2017 projects was the best year for jobs announced in the Lancaster Countys history. John Hunter, a prominent economic development attorney with Womble Carlyle that represents many high profile projects in the Charlotte Region, worked with Jamie Gilbert on the CompuCom, Movement Mortgage, PCI Group and Simpson Electric projects. Hunter said, The Lancaster County Department of Economic Development has quickly established itself as a dependable and effective group. Jamie Gilberts professionalism, work ethic and deal structuring ability is stellar. My clients and I have really enjoyed working with him and his team.

PCI Group was one of the companies LCDED assisted several times throughout FY 17 on issues ranging from their expansion to rezoning of their site. Jamie Gilbert and his team were instrumental in helping PCI Group through the re-zoning process for our property in Indian Land. Jamie also worked on our behalf to secure special source revenue credits and an extension to our current FILOT agreement which will greatly assist our growing operation. He understands that working with existing industry is as equally important as attracting new companies. Jamie is truly an asset to county , said Skip Pawul, PCI Groups Executive Vice President.

One of the commitments the LCDED made from the outset was to build a strong working relationship with the Lancaster County Chamber of Commerce. The two groups have collaborated on several marketing and workforce development initiatives, and have an interest in locating their offices together at some point in the future. Dean Faile, Executive Director of Lancaster County Chamber of Commerce, expressed his appreciation for the departments focus on partnering with his organization and likes its direction. Starting with a clean slate, Jamie and his team have built a department that is an economic engine for growth in Lancaster County. The focus for this team is business growth, engagement and retention; a focus the Chamber believes is a model for long-term sustainable economic health for every community in Lancaster, said Faile.

FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:

Steve Willis, Lancaster County Administrator"

Edited by mojo413
  • Like 3