Paulding.com

What exactly does the Marshal's Office do?

I'm sorry, but does the County still need a staff of full time law enforcement officers to collect Business License taxes and regulate beer stores and taxi's? You could pay a clerk, like Hiram does and save a lot of money. The Marshal's sure aren't out there every day making folks clean up the county. It's amazing how many commercial property owners let their grass grow three feet tall. How many folks have junk in their yard as well as old couches and mattresses thrown in the ditches and the Marshal does nothing about it? Talk about a useless bunch. Lobby your commissioner to get rid of the Marshal's office and turn those duties over to a lower paid clerk or code enforcement officer - not a highly paid, under worked law enforcement Lieutenant. The county officials raise our taxes year after year but we get nothing in return. This sucks. Why don't we see inmates gather up the trash and cut the grass and so forth. Oh the humanity of having those criminals get too much sunshine. Little fella might get a sunburn. Boo Hoo......

I hate to gripe and whine about the marshal's office, but to have to go to the web site, download a form, submit the form with your own personal information on it and possible get dragged into court as a witness is beyond ridiculous. We pay the marshal, surely he could get off his wazoo and see where the riff raff have left junk all over the yard and in the ditch . Surely they can be pro-active rather than re-active.

• Like 4

No opinion either way about the rest of it, but some practical experience with the code enforcement part. The short lived City of Lithia Springs tried using a Code Enforcement Officer. They went as cheap as they could go. It was just one middle aged guy in an old used car with no law enforcement powers. They physically and literally ran him out of the neighborhoods.

He wouldn't go into the offending properties by himself and the Sheriff wouldn't help. It was a fiasco.

I'm sorry, but does the County still need a staff of full time law enforcement officers to collect Business License taxes and regulate beer stores and taxi's? You could pay a clerk, like Hiram does and save a lot of money. The Marshal's sure aren't out there every day making folks clean up the county. It's amazing how many commercial property owners let their grass grow three feet tall. How many folks have junk in their yard as well as old couches and mattresses thrown in the ditches and the Marshal does nothing about it? Talk about a useless bunch. Lobby your commissioner to get rid of the Marshal's office and turn those duties over to a lower paid clerk or code enforcement officer - not a highly paid, under worked law enforcement Lieutenant. The county officials raise our taxes year after year but we get nothing in return. This sucks. Why don't we see inmates gather up the trash and cut the grass and so forth. Oh the humanity of having those criminals get too much sunshine. Little fella might get a sunburn. Boo Hoo......

I hate to gripe and whine about the marshal's office, but to have to go to the web site, download a form, submit the form with your own personal information on it and possible get dragged into court as a witness is beyond ridiculous. We pay the marshal, surely he could get off his wazoo and see where the riff raff have left junk all over the yard and in the ditch . Surely they can be pro-active rather than re-active.

From what i understand here in paulding {and correct me if i am wrong}, code enforcement, previously, was a more-or-less civil matter with basic fines, etc paid to the city/county for violations..... A couple years back the county commissioners decided to make all the code violations into criminal matters / misdemeanors, with potential 1-year jail time and big fines...... Well, then it did not take them long to find out that these criminal cases are prosecuted by the D.A. office and each case has to now go through a real "due process", including jury trials, 4th amendment, etc ---- the whole system backed up and there is not any more of the old due process "$100 fine and go about your business" stuff

sooooo, being the charges are criminal now, there has to be a "victim", and no more anonymous. Alot of minor violation stuff gets overlooked because they know only the serious stuff will make it to the criminal court for actual prosecution.

What exactly does the Marshal's Office do? Nothing.

Other than collect salaries and benefits. Not long ago, I saw a Marshal stop his vehicle on E. Paulding near Mt. Tabor where the junky looking building is, get out and pick up a garage sale sign, and totally ignore all the rubbish and junk laying around the building.

• Like 3

See the Marshal ride thru my hood at least once a week, once long time uncut yards are now cut regularly and tag less vehicles some that had not moved in years are now gone.

However,I am not pleased with the federal, state, local governments and even neighborhood associations criminalizing anything and everything as a way to rob the citizenry.

• Like 1

See the Marshal ride thru my hood at least once a week, once long time uncut yards are now cut regularly and tag less vehicles some that had not moved in years are now gone.

However,I am not pleased with the federal, state, local governments and even neighborhood associations criminalizing anything and everything as a way to rob the citizenry.

Instead of collecting money from citizens, who are in violation of some reasonable ordinance, there should be a period of community service alotted for the violation.

Spit balling here.

Understanding the reasons for, and the drawbacks of, code enforcement going criminal. One being the problem with the whole affidavit and witness testimony requirements (hate that). What about a little simple public exposure. Some postings of pictures without specific locations given, starting with the more public instances of possible code violations. Sort of a round of name that trash.

Entertaining for the board and maybe enough of a public relations poke in the ribs to move that office. Bet you views and responses would be huge. A community response with just the small hint of civil disorder. I like it. Whatdayathink?

• Like 1

Spit balling here.

Understanding the reasons for, and the drawbacks of, code enforcement going criminal. One being the problem with the whole affidavit and witness testimony requirements (hate that). What about a little simple public exposure. Some postings of pictures without specific locations given, starting with the more public instances of possible code violations. Sort of a round of name that trash.

Entertaining for the board and maybe enough of a public relations poke in the ribs to move that office. Bet you views and responses would be huge. A community response with just the small hint of civil disorder. I like it. Whatdayathink?

I like Bartow county's way of being able to take your trash to the dump. That might even help trash dumpers have another choice. It seems to me that Paulding county loves their expensive Waste Management service, and couldn't care less about people dumping trash in places other than the dump. The Mashell is paid to criminalize the violators, and more money comes in from that function.

Think about it. Money talks, in Paulding county, and Bartow county BS just walks.

Edited by The Postman

Years ago Paulding county had several locations where there were dumpsters to take the trash, junk, leaves to. They were removed when two things happened- the economy tanked-- but primarily the people who used it were to lazy to put stuff in the dumpster. I used them and the last time I took something there the dumpster divers were inside the dumpster and throwed my bags back out.

It would be nice to have convenience centres. We probably won't anytime soon as long relatives/mates of Carmichael, Davis, Pownall, Crowe, etc ran garbage companies in the county.

Years ago Paulding county had several locations where there were dumpsters to take the trash, junk, leaves to. They were removed when two things happened- the economy tanked-- but primarily the people who used it were to lazy to put stuff in the dumpster. I used them and the last time I took something there the dumpster divers were inside the dumpster and throwed my bags back out.

Geez guys. You gotta get WAY YONDER out in the country to find places that do this still. Just the exposure to EPA Hazardous Waste fines from an unattended public dumpster!

• Like 1

I believe you have to be resident to use the convenience centres. When I lived in Bartow, they would ask where I lived and had to show them my mails with new address. I was driving with out-of-state licence plate.

Paulding county officials just don't give a damn.

They like to collect taxes, fees, and fines, while citizens pay their expensive Waste Mannagement bills.

Paulding county officials like for you to throw trash in the wrong place. They can say "got you" "you would have been better off paying the big ol Waste Management Truck to hall off that trash.

• Like 1

I believe you have to be resident to use the convenience centres. When I lived in Bartow, they would ask where I lived and had to show them my mails with new address. I was driving with out-of-state licence plate.

I believe in Polk you can pay 25 dollars for a year .

• Like 1

Convenience centers in Polk are free but you have to be a resident. The sites are supervised and fenced in. They have separate dumpsters for recyclables.

It seems to me that Polk county, like Bartow, has more restect for their residents. All Paulding county does is "Sock It To Em."

I remember when Paulding county stopped allowing its citizens to be able to dump their trash for free. And, when the cost for getting rid of your trash went up, and up, and up. Let me tell you, that Wast Management group of people love Paulding county. They like to make money, aqnd give kick backs.

On the NE corner of Dallas-Acworth Hwy (92) and Brenda Ct., there is a house that has grass (well, weeds) well up over your knees. Given that the property is facing one of the most heavily traveled roads in the County, please 'splain to me how our illustrious law enforcement agencies have missed this?

• Like 1

On the NE corner of Dallas-Acworth Hwy (92) and Brenda Ct., there is a house that has grass (well, weeds) well up over your knees. Given that the property is facing one of the most heavily traveled roads in the County, please 'splain to me how our illustrious law enforcement agencies have missed this?

I suspect it's bank owned. Banks are not bothered with law inforcement, they've got money!

With that said, the law knows better than to try to seise money once the bank gets their hands on it. If there was suspected drug money involved the law would clean the house.

Edited by The Postman

Agreed that this sort of thing is a problem and doesn't look good for the county. Having said that I believe we, as a county, have a much worse problem with properties used as dumps. I just believe we have more of a trash problem than a weed problem. I'll grant you too that it's more of an upclose issue for me and that might skew the view.

I've got it blocked off now with plants and buildings, but about 30' from my line and almost exactly halfway between my house and his, the neighbor started a pile some years ago. First it was a boat leaning on its side. Then the boat filled up with huge black garbage bags, then one of those old rear projection big screens joined the mix. Random trash continued to grow on the pile and it had grown to 15 to 20 wide x 20 to 25 long and 8 to 9 high, until this past spring. All of a sudden pickup and trailer loads of crap were being unloaded on the pile one day. So much so that the pile grew by 300% in one day.

Week before last I'm working outside and walking by my building that blocks the view when a mouse comes walking across the carport opening from the direction of the trash pile. Dispatching a mouse in the open field is WAY harder than you think it would be. It was fairly traumatic for the mouse and me too. I'm going to take some pictures and may even follow thru on my previous suggestion. Of course there's other horror stories about this particular house, but you file that form that's a public record and then live next to 'em. Good sense tells you that with folks that would do this (and all the other unstated stuff) you've most likely traded a trash problem for an aggression problem. I just don't think that choice should be forced on the citizen. Live with it or make it worse. That ain't no choice.

• Like 3

Agreed that this sort of thing is a problem and doesn't look good for the county. Having said that I believe we, as a county, have a much worse problem with properties used as dumps. I just believe we have more of a trash problem than a weed problem. I'll grant you too that it's more of an upclose issue for me and that might skew the view.

I've got it blocked off now with plants and buildings, but about 30' from my line and almost exactly halfway between my house and his, the neighbor started a pile some years ago. First it was a boat leaning on its side. Then the boat filled up with huge black garbage bags, then one of those old rear projection big screens joined the mix. Random trash continued to grow on the pile and it had grown to 15 to 20 wide x 20 to 25 long and 8 to 9 high, until this past spring. All of a sudden pickup and trailer loads of crap were being unloaded on the pile one day. So much so that the pile grew by 300% in one day.

Week before last I'm working outside and walking by my building that blocks the view when a mouse comes walking across the carport opening from the direction of the trash pile. Dispatching a mouse in the open field is WAY harder than you think it would be. It was fairly traumatic for the mouse and me too. I'm going to take some pictures and may even follow thru on my previous suggestion. Of course there's other horror stories about this particular house, but you file that form that's a public record and then live next to 'em. Good sense tells you that with folks that would do this (and all the other unstated stuff) you've most likely traded a trash problem for an aggression problem. I just don't think that choice should be forced on the citizen. Live with it or make it worse. That ain't no choice.

And I fully agree with you about the "anonymity" part of making a complaint.

I've done the report and shown up in court. And, IMO, the main problem is that WORTHLESS A-HOLE Magistrate Valbuena. He's too lazy to even scratch where he itches. Rather than fine the offender or force them to clean the property, he scolds them and then the problem continues.

• Like 2

What do you expect from a county who's representatives collect taxes, and stopped caring about providing citizens with a place to carry their trash, years ago? Like I said, earlier: Other counties don't just rely on their citizens paying the big ol green Wast Management truck for trash service. In fact, I'm surprised that there are any other options for trash copllection left, besides the big ol green Waste Management truck, in Paulding county. But, the last time I heard there was competition from other trash services left.

What happened to the money Paulding county officials started saving, when they stopped doing like Bartow, and other counties, who provide a free dump for their citizens?

If there's not a way to collect money from the citizens, in Paulding county, it's a conflict of officials interest.

Edited by The Postman

Convenience centers in Polk are free but you have to be a resident. The sites are supervised and fenced in. They have separate dumpsters for recyclables.

Commission this year past the 25 dollars for anyone who use dumpster outside county. After living in Paulding for 47 years I now live in Polk.

• Like 1

I would rather see the county purchase some bucket trucks and schedule pick-up all over the county. People can put larger items out on their scheduled day. Some for days for limbs and brush, others for junk. Same thing with yard junk and uncut lawns. Warn them, tell them what it is going to cost them and schedule it. Make it easier for people to get rid of junk and brush. Make the help affordable to get yards cleaned up when they fall behind. I don't want folks punished because they don't have the vehicle or the means to dispose of things. Some people hit hard times and weed eaters and mowers are not a priority. We pay to have junk cleaned up any way. We pay to have places cleaned up. Don't be so damn punitive towards folks help them out. I would help a neighbor in a NY minute that had a broken mower and trimmer and have.

I also expect neighbors to understand how their yard condition effects my property value and quality of life.

• Like 2

Commission this year past the 25 dollars for anyone who use dumpster outside county. After living in Paulding for 47 years I now live in Polk.

OK was not aware if that change. So is a charge per use or per year and only if you are out of county?

Just like I said; Paulding county officials don't give a damn about you. I lived there for 30 years. I saw how things were getting in regard to their give a damn about anything but money from fines, fees, and taxes.

I did like you did, october, I got the hell outta there.