Paulding.com

Be aware of new email trap

I know folks here are alert to most traps but I happened upon one that was particularly alluring.

It promised a free t-shirt for gun owners. The promised T was black with a white outline of a gun integrated with the text "ipac" into the logo.

Yep, a free T-shirt ... stating your support and association for carry rights.

The tip this was a scam was in the description of the items source. First, it claimed to be the product of a Maryland Ad Agency. I've worked in an ad agencies and I know they are sticklers for English grammar.

And poor grammar including capitalization are the clues. (bold)

This Mail is for Advertisement purpose only, if you want to Opt-out from this Advertisement click here.

Proper would be This email is advertising. If you don't want to receive more advertising from us, click here.

Obviously the construction of a non-native speaker much less a professional copywriter at an ad agency.

A second 'graphic' bit offering the same opt-out language is even worse. It read:

You received an Mail from TedMed Inc, This is Ad Agency Located in USA. if you Want to OPt-out from TedMed so Click Here to don't received any mail with us in future, or Write to: xxxx

Again obviously the grammar of a non-native speaker with absurd capitalization and other gross errors like the us of 'an' before email and the failure to us an 'an' before Ad Agency ... and more.

At least for the time being the idea that scammers will, while being clever in their offers, fail on the details, will project clues that the alert can use to keep themselves safe.

pubby

Wait!

Does this mean that the Honorable Sir John Booker, Assistant Baggage Director at JFK Airport in the USA, does not have an package of Great importance to be consigned to me upon my proof of my name and Small handling fee for the process of Diplomatic paperworks?

Wait!

Does this mean that the Honorable Sir John Booker, Assistant Baggage Director at JFK Airport in the USA, does not have an package of Great importance to be consigned to me upon my proof of my name and Small handling fee for the process of Diplomatic paperworks?

I figured you were smart enough to avoid that one, but if the offer was a free "I hate Hillary 'cause she'll take my guns" t-shirt; you might not see that one coming for two reasons. The first is that Sir John Booker pitch is aimed at your greed while the 'Hate Hillary' or 'I love guns, they make me feel virile' is a wholly different kind of appeal.

That both approaches lead to the sender seeking their hands in your pocket is the danger. Nigerian prince pitches and other anonymous pitches appealing to greed are so common that the number of folks responding is getting progressively lower. New approaches appealing to elements of association with passionate beliefs has been successfully exploiting folks for political purposes for decades. That con men would seek to get into that pipeline is the warning. After all, politicians have been successfully giving the passionate political position pitch for decades.

I would further expect that religious appeals - more than the profession of Christianity in the Nigerian Prince pitch - will be coming.

pubby