Paulding.com

Russia to target US planes in Syrian conflict

What's next, how about world war three ?

Yesterday we shot down a Syrian fighter jet, today the Russians warned that our planes will be treated as targets. Maybe Trump should pull himself away from the TV sets and his phone and pay attention.

Russia warns it will treat US-led coalition jets in parts of Syria as targets after US downed Syrian plane

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/u-shoots-down-syrian-fighter-jet-over-syria-210705900--abc-news-topstories.html

Edited by CitizenCain
  • Like 1

What's next, how about world war three ?

Yesterday we shot down a Syrian fighter jet, today the Russians warned that our plans will be treated as targets. Maybe Trump should pull himself away from the TV sets and his phone and pay attention.

Russia warns it will treat US-led coalition jets in parts of Syria as targets after US downed Syrian plane

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/u-shoots-down-syrian-fighter-jet-over-syria-210705900--abc-news-topstories.html

This deserves its own thread. Perhaps the mods can split the topic. It is a topic that needs to be front page news.

The cost of a friendship with Russia is simply too high.

I would like to believe that a friendship with them would be a great thing for the world.

I think they demand we become more like them and that is why we are seeing Trump reaching out.

Putin and Trump see themselves as world leaders. Obviously not the free world.

We have seen the concentration of wealth growing on a world level. If America can not maintain the balance between world government and the powerful wealthy we will see a collapse of the free world.

We simply can not work on an allied level with Putin. Trump apparently can not understand the difference between a government and a business. Putin also sees them as the same thing. Trump is obviously ignorant of the consequences of bowing to Putin. These threats are scary to me.

• Like 1

Since when does the CinC plan military operations and strategy ? ? ?

:huh:

Since when did they not ? But then Trump's policies are so ambiguous no one has any idea what he's doing, including his generals, his own cabinet, our allies and our adversaries.

Trump called Qatar a terror sponsor. He sold them fighter jets 5 days later.

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/6/16/15810998/trump-qatar-arms-sale-plane-f15

From the yahoo story:

Russia, which is backing the Syrian government regime in its civil war against rebel forces, slammed the U.S. action as a violation of Syria's sovereignty.

"Repeated combat actions by U.S. aviation under the cover of counterterrorism against lawful armed forces of a country that is a member of the U.N. are a massive violation of international law and de facto a military aggression against the Syrian Arab Republic," the Russian Defense Ministry said.

The Ministry also warned that any coalition aircraft flying west of the Euphrates “will be tracked by the Russian ground and air anti-aircraft defense systems as air targets in the areas where Russian aviation is on combat missions in the Syrian sky.”

The US is backing the coalition forces that includes a large contingent of Kurds. The Kurds as a group have historically been exploited by surrounding folks and they've been seeking our aid in forming a nation of their own in the region.

We've double-crossed them before going back to 1991-92 when, after the first gulf war, we let Saddam regain his power over the kurdish region in Iraq. The kurds have been exploited and discriminated against by the Turks, Syrians and Iraqis for thousands of years.

We are their hope for dignity and independence. They have been stalwart allies to American interests.

I'm afraid that Trump will ultimately sell them out ... again.

It is obvious that ISIS, as a geographically based entity, is losing ground daily and will wane in influence.

Our efforts are at cross-currents with the Russians on the future of the Assad regime and one can only assume that Trump will ultimately defer to Putin and allow Assad to remain. As the Russians want Assad to have maximum resources, the interests of the kurds, whom they've defined as rebels, means they must be crushed.

Will the will of Putin and Assad to maximize their wealth in the region overwhelm the modest, at best, affinity that Trumps America has for the Kurds. I will add there is significant precedent for selling out the kurds. It is an American tradition including Bush 41, Clinton, Bush 43 and to a lesser degree Obama.

pubby

PS: I figure that even if Trump were to be replaced by Pence, the outcome would be the same. It is not a matter of weakness on our part militarily; rather it is that the majority in the GOP are intrinsically opposed to liberty and self-determination by any people, including Americans.

rather it is that the majority in the GOP are intrinsically opposed to liberty and self-determination by any people, including Americans.

I completely agree with this statement.

PS-It is not just the GOP, either.

Edited by rednekkhikkchikk
  • Like 1

We are now due to Trump's incoherent,schizophrenic foreign policy one downed U.S plane, one dead American pilot away from either A. Backing down to Putin's military and looking weak for all the world to see or B. Getting into a shooting war with Russia that could easily spread throughout the Middle East .

And given Trump in all his wisdom has managed to insult virtually all of our closest allies I wouldn't look for any overwhelming support from anyone.

Armageddon anyone ?

Edited by CitizenCain

Bring it on..... at last then we could prove to the far left that the Russians didn't hand the election to Trump

Great idea! Start World War 3. That'll really show those liberals.

I wouldn't worry so much about WWIII ... my concern is that when we doublecross the Kurds ... again ... pull out the rug from under them and utterly abandon them, they will become the next big terrorist threat to us in the US. I sense they're hopes for self-determination needs to be addressed and letting the Syrians, Russians, Iraqi's, Turks and Iranians handle it means it will not be handled.

pubby