Paulding.com

Oklahoma Cop found NOT GUILTY

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/05/18/jury-finds-white-oklahoma-cop-not-guilty-in-deadly-shooting-unarmed-black-man.html

A jury on Wednesday acquitted a white Oklahoma police officer who shot and killed an unarmed black man last year, sparking outrage from the man's family and supporters.

Tulsa Officer Betty Jo Shelby said she shot 40-year-old Terence Crutcher out of fear because he didn't obey commands to lie on the ground and appeared to reach inside his SUV for what she thought was a gun.

However, Crutcher's father, the Rev. Joey Crutcher, said in no uncertain terms: "Let it be known that I believe in my heart that Betty Shelby got away with murder."

Jurors reached their verdict after deliberating for just over nine hours.

A lawyer for Shelby said the officer was "elated" that the jury found her not guilty. "She's ready to get back to her life," defense attorney Shannon McMurray said.

The shooting unfolded on Sept. 16 of last year. Shelby said that while she was headed to a different call, she encountered Crutcher near his SUV as it was stopped in the middle of a two-lane road. The officer testified that he refused to follow her commands -- and after he reached his hands into the SUV's open window, she fired.

Prosecutors told jurors that Shelby overreacted, arguing that Crutcher had his hands in their air and wasn't combative. Dashcam video showed the man falling to the ground shortly after he appeared to reach into the SUV.

An autopsy found Crutcher had PCP -- a drug that can trigger hallucinations -- in his system when he died. His wife said that was irrelevant to the case.

The defense attacked prosecutors for charging Shelby with first-degree manslaughter just six days after the shooting, saying the case was rushed.

Tulsa County District Attorney Steve Kunzweiler said defense attorneys know it was "a bad shoot.”

The shooting was among several officer-involved shootings in recent years that helped galvanize the Black Lives Matter movement and prompted calls for more police accountability.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Al & Jesse will be protesting this great injustice soon. Just wait and see.

(I'm glad she was acquitted). When a police officer gives you specific instructions, It's wise to follow them. When you run from the police or go reaching in a car when instructed to raise your hands, it could be a deadly mistake. It's just not smart to argue with a police officer.

• Like 1

So here is what the courts are saying; The failure to immediately comply to a policeman's repeated commands and instead reach into your vehicle gives the officer grounds to be highly suspicious of your intentions which may lead the officer to pull his/her weapon. Further non-compliance could lead him/her to fire, which may kill you. That my friends is some pretty damned scary stuff.

• Like 8

So here is what the courts are saying; The failure to immediately comply to a policeman's repeated commands and instead reach into your vehicle gives the officer grounds to be highly suspicious of your intentions which may lead the officer to pull his/her weapon. Further non-compliance could lead him/her to fire, which may kill you. That my friends is some pretty damned scary stuff.

So now we give an officer deadly force on what might happen . He might be on PCP he might have a gun. Like the guy that was shot sitting in the front seat of his car when he reached in his back pocket to get his driver's licences-because he might have a gun- or the guy that reached into his car to get his licence after told to show his licence ? Or the butt naked guy because he,he,he...might be superman. From now on all a cop needs to kill is not a real threat but what he imagines might be a threat. Like I said some really scary stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zsuOCP0m1M

...If these rules applied to everyone no one would ever be charged with murder again because who knows what might have happened.

Edited by CitizenCain
  • Like 2

I think it's simply amazing how you can kill 9 people and then have the police do a Burger King run for you. Or you can stab someone with a butter knife and have a judge worry about your future as a surgeon being compromised. Is that privilege? If someone illustrates personality disorder behavior of the former cluster b variety, should that person have peoples lives in her hands?

• Like 1

Al & Jesse will be protesting this great injustice soon. Just wait and see.

(I'm glad she was acquitted). When a police officer gives you specific instructions, It's wise to follow them. When you run from the police or go reaching in a car when instructed to raise your hands, it could be a deadly mistake. It's just not smart to argue with a police officer.

post-44682-0-65904700-1427297544_thumb.jpg

I think it's simply amazing how you can kill 9 people and then have the police do a Burger King run for you. Or you can stab someone with a butter knife and have a judge worry about your future as a surgeon being compromised. Is that privilege? If someone illustrates personality disorder behavior of the former cluster b variety, should that person have peoples lives in her hands?

You know that Burger King story portrayal isn't exactly accurate/true?

Did Police Take Dylann Roof to Burger King?

false.png FALSE

http://www.snopes.com/2015/06/22/dylann-roof-burger-king/

- Jamie

false.png FALSE

http://www.snopes.com/2015/06/22/dylann-roof-burger-king/

The link explains why the inmate was given Burger King.

- Jamie

false.png FALSE[/size]

http://www.snopes.com/2015/06/22/dylann-roof-burger-king/[/size]

- Jamie

I said they went on a Burger King run. Snopes says essentially the same thing. The question was always did they stop off to get Burger King on the way to jail. I made no mention of a stop off on the way to jail. Roof did not follow the law. The law states do not kill and he killed 9 people. Roof was therefore not following the law or police orders. No one killed him.

Roof did not follow the law. The law states do not kill and he killed 9 people. Roof was therefore not following the law or police orders. No one killed him.

Yes, he broke the law and most people's moral code. However at the time of the murders, he was not under police orders. When facing the police, he followed their instructions exactly and and was taken in without violence. (Don't get me started on these thugs who will attack unarmed innocents, but then wimp out when facing armed police, that's another rant)

You could say the same for the young photographer that was mistaken for Roof right after the killings. When suddenly surrounded by police with guns drawn with no clue what was going on, not knowing that they considered him a dangerous multiple murderer, he did what they said first, then asked questions later. He was then cleared and released. Had he decided to argue and ignore their orders and reach in his bag for an ID or show them his cameras or something, he very likely would have ended up shot and/or dead.

The police have a dangerous job that they deal with people who are often armed and dangerous. You have to look at everything you do from their point of view to keep *everyone* safe.

Justice for the deaths Roof caused is forthcoming, per the laws of the State of Ga.

www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-cop-charged-manslaughter-shooting-autistic-man-s-unarmed-therapist-n745716Yes, he broke the law and most people's moral code. However at the time of the murders, he was not under police orders. When facing the police, he followed their instructions exactly and and was taken in without violence. (Don't get me started on these thugs who will attack unarmed innocents, but then wimp out when facing armed police, that's another rant)

You could say the same for the young photographer that was mistaken for Roof right after the killings. When suddenly surrounded by police with guns drawn with no clue what was going on, not knowing that they considered him a dangerous multiple murderer, he did what they said first, then asked questions later. He was then cleared and released. Had he decided to argue and ignore their orders and reach in his bag for an ID or show them his cameras or something, he very likely would have ended up shot and/or dead.

The police have a dangerous job that they deal with people who are often armed and dangerous. You have to look at everything you do from their point of view to keep *everyone* safe.

Justice for the deaths Roof caused is forthcoming, per the laws of the State of Ga.

There are many instances of people following the law. Running away does not constitute a justified use of deadly force. Shooting someone in the back is not self defense. Even at the risk of public safety, everyone is innocent and must be PROVEN GUILTY. You don't lose your right to due process because you "look like a bad dude".

The physical therapist that was shot by police was following orders. There are many instances where orders were followed and people are shot, killed and police reports are doctored. I realize police have a dangerous job but you can't expect the police to receive the benefit of the doubt when they don't give the benefit of the doubt. That is an unacceptable double standard. Can't handle the pressures of the job? Find another job. How many times is too many when police injure, kill or maim and then have to issue an apology? There is no do over when a 12 year old boy gets killed for having a toy in his hand.

Edited by Domestic Violence by Proxy
  • Like 2