Paulding.com

Share great memories of Surepip

The first time I met Surepip, he had volunteered to cook supper for the camping staff during one of our Boy Scout Camporees. We were camping in Cedartown at the air strip where they have sky diving. He arrived with his car stacked to the top with the ingredients he'd need to cook the best meal they ever had.

He was unloading the car in the makeshift kitchen and unloaded a box containing several bottles of wine........the camp staff went ballistic, no alcohol is allowed and any scouting event. He went pale, he was embarrassed, he explained that he needed it to cook, not drink. LOL Finally they told him to just keep it undercover and only take it out when he needed to use it.

I wasn't on staff that year, I was with my troop. I only got to taste it, but the meal was incredible. Thus, my first ever experience with Surepip was showing off his culinary skills.

He has a great heart and brought so many smiles to everyone he met.

• Like 2

I met Surepip once at Windy Hill hospital, while my wife was there. I wanted to introduce myself and tell him I admired him for standing up for his principles. I'm glad I got to do that.

• Like 5

My son and I did some work for Thad 10-12 years ago at his house. Wonderful gentleman and we (son and I) talked about that day many times. Discussing the beautiful homestead which became an island in the middle of scorched earth, and how sad we were for his plight.

• Like 3

I knew him here as a poster for years before I met him face to face. He was with his sweet wife Melissa when she ran for HD-19. He was a very bright interesting man. Even when we disagreed he was polite about it. Beach Bum and I went to visit with Melissa for a while today. BB bought lunch and took it to her. This will be a very hard time for the family. :(

• Like 8

First time I met Thad & Melissa was at Jalapeno Joes many years ago. Still never understood his love for chicken wings at a Mexican Restaurant. But others can attest, he knows poultry and had some fine culinary skills he would share on this forum. Saw him a few years working the Paulding Meadows arts & crafts either representing Lyons or Rotary Club? Additionally believe he was heavily involved as a sponsor and/or Captain for the annual fundraising for the American Cancer Society.

• Like 3

I never had the pleasure of meeting him personally but I always envied his cooking skills. Most of all I admired his principled fight against City Hall for what he believed was right. It was a courageous and noble effort one few of us would have volunteered for and right or wrong I will always believe they played a role with his rapid decline in health. A toast to you Thad Morrison the world will be less interesting a place without you.

• Like 11

I never met him in person just chatted with him on here..I always looked for his post because they always sounded wonderful...sometimes we never have the answers we want,but just have to trust in a higher power..I pray for his family for strength ,and comfort in the days to come...I will miss him on here " Bon' Appetite .Paulding.com is losing a fine man.

• Like 8

I never met him in person just chatted with him on here..I always looked for his post because they always sounded wonderful...sometimes we never have the answers we want,but just have to trust in a higher power..I pray for his family for strength ,and comfort in the days to come...I will miss him on here " Bon' Appetite .Paulding.com is losing a fine man.

Well that just made me tear up

Bon Appetite

Edited by lowrider
  • Like 1

We spent many hours on the porch. They were an extraordinary couple. Most remember them for their political struggles with the county. They were so much more than that. They were tireless in their community activities and support before their business failed in the recession and troubles with the county. Many will remember that. I knew them as world travelers with many engaging tales of that time in their life. Thad was a very intelligent man, he continued to work even after his disabilities from the last surgery. Melissa was very proud that he was still being sought out by the poultry business for his innovative work in the industry.

For most they will be remembered for their struggle that took a terrible toll on them. They have never really recovered from it.

They raised 2 intelligent and motivated children that made Thad so proud.

I have hundreds of memories of many days on the porch, in the garden and in the kitchen with them. All of them good.

There were a few come to Jesus meetings on that porch, if only that old church pew could talk.

Thad was Melissa's life, he was her best friend and she supported him without reservation in all he was and did.

She is going to need a soft shoulder in the coming months.

I know that you are reading these Melissa. I hope you find at least a little solace in the words.

• Like 11

From Steven Redmond on Facebook

22 mins ·

Thad Morrison III… he was one of the special ones. He was a mentor… a friend to so many. I'll remember his stories… his laugh… oh that laugh… I may miss it the most. He was a larger than life figure with seemingly bountiful stories and knowledge. But he was also just a big teddy bear. He made you feel comfortable, accepted, and wanted without being anymore than himself.

It goes without saying Thad accomplished a great deal in his life. But to hear it from Thad his most cherished accomplishments started the day he met his prize, Melissa and the two gifts that followed... Ivy and Louis. Of all the stories he told none were told with such love and passion as those told of his family.

Thad felt he had won life's lottery. To have been so lucky… to have married his true love and to have fathered two children for whom even the extraordinary wordsmith himself was challenged to satisfactorily express how proud of each of them he was… and he was so very proud of them.

He leaves a legacy that has made an enduring impression on so many. I think I can speak on behalf of all of us when I say that we were all a bit envious of Thad at times. To have experienced so much, to have enjoyed so many adventures, and to do this in the loving embrace of his beautiful family was enough to make anyone a little jealous. It goes without saying that we will all cherish our time we had with our friend,Thad.

They're so many wonderful and charismatic stories to tell of Thad… so many in fact that though our friend has left this mortal coil he will live on for generations. His life, his memories, and the stories he told with such passion will be replayed in our daily lives, to our friends, family... to our children's children. For special one's like Thad will never be forgotten. He will live on in each us, in his stories, and through his children.

You are and forever will be missed Thad…

• Like 8

Jamie Gilbert

So sad to hear about the passing of my friend Thad Morrison. He was a good man who cared about me and economic development in Paulding County. Always trying to be a mentor and do what he could to help our cause of bringing jobs to Paulding despite his disagreement with the county. He leaves behind a wonderful wife and family. Please keep them in your prayers.

• Like 6

Ryan Hale,

Thad Morrison III ... I will forever miss you. You made me laugh. You stood with me through two of the most difficult times of my life. You taught me a lot. You shared your stories, your home, your food, and your time --- and I am most grateful. Most of all, you shared with me your friendship. Thank you, Thad, for being a good person and being like an older brother to me these past 17 years. I'm a better man for having known you. We never got to open that Chateau de Pape I've been saving, but I promise that it will go with the finest meal I can get, and Melissa Morrison will enjoy that meal with my family. Bon Appetit, Thad. Rest well.

• Like 7

It is no big secret that Thad and I disagreed on most political issues; however, we agreed on so many more issues. I didn't know Thad extremely well but had some long conversations that were quite pleasant as long as we stayed away from politics. :) One of my fondest memories was a long phone conversation I had with him on my way down to the beach. I had been on the phone with him quite a while and we had a great conversation (again, no politics were mentioned) :) It was so funny because I remember thinking how quick that trip seemed to go as I was on the phone with him for almost half the time it took to get there. I told him I needed to talk to him and Melissa more often as they certainly made my long trip a lot more fun.

Thad and Melissa complimented each other so well. Melissa has stated several times to me that Thad is not only her best friend, but her soul mate. After observing the two together, I absolutely understand. Their love for each other, their children and their grandchildren was very obvious. They all adored Thad and when everything in this life is said and done, that speaks volumes. Well done Thad!

As for Melissa, the first time I met her was in 2012. I remember sheepishly saying to her, well....your husband and I vehemently disagree on not only local politics but also state and national politics and I hope you don't hold that against me. She graciously said absolutely not and Thad also graciously did not hold that against me. They never took that personally which I am grateful for as otherwise, it would have prevented me from getting to know who they really are.

I have spent some time with Melissa in the last few days both in person and by phone. Melissa, even in the face of this tragedy, continues to conduct herself with grace, class and dignity. That is one of the first things I noticed about her when I first met her. I remember thinking to myself about how she exuded kindness and grace.

Please keep this family in your thoughts and prayers as obviously, this is very hard on them. Also, please remember Ryan Hale in your prayers. He is hurting as he has lost a great friend.

Edited to say: Yep - I learned from the best (surepip aka Thad) how to write really long posts on Paulding.com. :) He would be proud! :) I can only wish I had his cooking abilities also. :)

Edited by Beach Bum
  • Like 8

This has got to be one of the hardest posts that I have ever posted here on P.COM The memories of Thad are so numerous, that it is very difficult to even express in a post.

Like some who have already posted here today. I, also have a lot of the memories of the Morrison family , that have been mentioned previously in this thread today.

I have only known the Morrison’s since 2005, but in those twelve short years I, have came to love and respect this family.

As has previously been mentioned by LPPT the church pew on the front porch of the Morrison’s home was a place where politicians, friends, and in some cases, even the opposition often met, to hash out the differences in a political race. If only that pew could talk today, you would realize what this family has contributed to Paulding County.

And by the way the food was also great as we talked and fellowshipped on that front porch.

Thad has always been involved in the Paulding County Community along with his wife Melissa and have contributed much time and effort to make Paulding County a better place to live work and play.

Thad, you will be missed, but the memories of knowing you and Melissa will live on forever.

REST IN PEACE MY FRIEND!!!!

• Like 8

We've been to their old home twice to share duck eggs. He was so knowledgeable about eggs and the hatching process which was invaluable to me as I'm raising ducks. Then there's Melissa. Does a sweeter person exist? She so reminds me of my own grandmother and my heart breaks for her.

• Like 6

I had the honor of meeting Thad and Melissa on a couple occasions. They welcomed me into their home as if I were family. I instantly felt the love and comradery between them,it was palpable. If i had to name just one word to describe Melissa, its regal. She and Thad were two of the kindest people I've ever encountered. I mostly knew Thad from PCOM. He shared so much of his life stories on here and oh, how I adored them. He was the kind of story teller who could actually make you feel like you were there, kinda how you get lost in a book. I also admired his wealth of knowledge about food and his excitement of sharing it with us. And the stories he shared of his family, he truly adored them. I could go on and on but I'll stop, at the risk of rambling. Thad you will be so missed. My love, thoughts and prayers go out to the Morrison family and all who loved him. :wub:

• Like 6

A few years ago Thad and I endured one of the most difficult days in Atlanta history, the ice storm of January 2014, all because of his selflessness and caring about our community.

As many of you know, Thad was an expert on the poultry industry. He knew every aspect of it-from hatcheries to processing. He also knew who the players were in the business. As the executive director of Paulding County Economic Development, I was attending the 2014 International Poultry Expo at Georgia World Congress on January 28. I invited Thad to go as our guest because it was an annual event he loved. Despite him having a bad hip that needed replacement he eagerly accepted. The morning of the show snow was forecast for the afternoon but the weather was good when we arrived at the convention hall. PCED paid for a scooter so Thad could comfortably get around the show. We spent the morning going booth to booth. Thad educated me on the many intricacies of the poultry industry and meeting the companies he knew. It was a great lesson on the poultry business and his vast knowledge of so many aspects of it was impressive. Thad, the fantastic story teller, had me mesmerized.

We grabbed lunch around 1:30 and then made our way through another section of the hall when Melissa called. She wanted to let us know it was starting to snow pretty good and getting icy in Hiram. Thad asked me what we wanted to do. My suggestion was to wait it out, as there was no sense in jumping out on the roads with everyone else while we were in the warm convention hall. He agreed. We stayed at the show for another two hours and then decided to hit the road. We left and headed down Spring Street towards I-20. It was then that we knew we were in trouble. The roads were brutal and it took us nearly an hour to go just a few miles. It was until 4:00 that we made it to the I-20/Spring Street interchange. The adventure was about to begin.

Traffic was at a standstill on I-20, moving at what seemed like ten feet a minute. We made our way west on I-20 trying to get to Thornton Road. What should have taken 15 minutes turned into hours. By the time we reached Holmes Drive it was around 8:00. We needed gas and a bathroom break. We got off at Holmes Drive took care of our needs and tried to get back to the interstate by going a different route then we came. Nearly an hour later we were finally back on the interstate and traffic was even worse then before. We crossed I-285 and proceeded past Fulton Industrial when the traffic came to a complete halt. It was 10:00 p.m. and we were stuck at the bottom of the hill at Six Flags. For the next nine hours we sat in the car not moving with no where to go. The road was a sheet of ice and everyone was stuck. I felt awful for Thad. His hip was hurting bad, he was low on his medicine for his hip pain, he couldn't get out of the car to walk around because of the ice and we had nothing to eat or drink. For the next nine hours we talked about everything under the sun, laughed, debated, cussed, slept and bonded in a way we never had the opportunity to do before. It was a memorable night and one I will never forget it. I learned so much about Thad that night and next morning. Despite neither of us wanting to be in that situation it was a great experience because of what it meant to our friendship. Traffic finally started to move at around 7 a.m. the next morning and we made it back to Hiram several hours later. What a trip it was!

Thad was a good man, misunderstood by many, but if you got know him and he liked you, his heart of gold would shine through. He will be missed and I will never forget the kindness and friendship he and Melissa showed me over the years. They say you can often judge a person by their children and spouse. Well you need only look at his family to know that he was a good father and husband. He cared for them deeply and was proud of them.

Please continue to pray for the Morrisons. They've been through quite a lot over the years and now they've lost the man that was their glue. They will make it through this, they always do, but say a few special prayers just for them. It will help bring them comfort and peace.

1656298_767227753304710_853580579_n.jpg?

Edited by Jamie Gilbert
  • Like 7

For years I knew Surepip here on PCom only by our PCom post. We agreed on most subjects, and if we didn't It was not for long. But we did not personally know each other. When a nasty poster hinted they knew my real identity I added my name & phone number to my PCom signature. Thad almost immediality called me. That call lasted about 2 hours till his phone died. I will always remember my friend Surepip as a true friend. The last few times we spoke during the past few weeks Thad always ended the call with a story. I can't tell it as good a Surepip, but I will try...

2 life long elderly buddies bought a fine bottle of Scotch together and agreed the remaining buddy would pour the bottle of Scotch out over his dearly departed buddy's grave. When the first one died the surviving buddy fulfilled their pack. Only he passed the bottle of Scotch thru his kidneys first.

Melissa, he had a recently departed foe he wanted to honor in the same style, maybe I can help.

• Like 8

I never had the pleasure of meeting Thad, but even though I often disagreed with him politically, he always conducted himself with dignity, and he was typically much better informed than many who argue politics. Our discussions were always civil and respectful. He was also a member of the other site, though he mostly posted there when his wife was running for office.

He contacted me 3-4 years ago to ask for help in solving some ventilation issues in the hatcheries. I advised him best I could and hooked him up with a local supplier for the equipment he needed. Hopefully it was helpful to him.

I believe he was a good and decent man.

R.I.P., sir.

• Like 2

I never met Thad in person, just watched/read here on P.Com. My heart and prayers go out to his family and friends. He was a fighter and had spunk. I remember reading the problems he had with the county and his house and his defiance, standing up for what was right, was inspiring. I hope we can all take that spunk and stand up for what's right.