Paulding.com

Question about the new store near Rose's Store

If you haven't been out this way lately, they are making progress on what looks to be a big, brand new convenience store with gas pumps etc. across from Rose's Store. It also looks like perhaps they are building a car wash to go with it but I don't know that for sure. The store is going to be pretty big. Does anyone know if there will be anything else in the store like maybe a Subway, Pizza place or something like that? Have any of you heard what all will be in it when it opens? Thanks!

I was just thinking about this today, when I came thru going home. It does look really big compared to Roses. Since it looks like there will be 2 different doors spread apart, I was thinking maybe 2 different businesses.

But I dont see what you are thinking a car wash???

Will be glad to see it open hopefully sooner than later. If they will stay competitive with gas prices, they will get some of my business.

Off to the 101 side of their parking lot it looks like they MAY be putting in a car wash. I figured the gas pumps would go directly in front of the store but I might be wrong. It is way bigger than Roses and looks like two separate entrances. Hope they are putting something good to eat there lol

The original little wooden Rose's store that burned down ages ago was owned by my grandmother's uncle Homer Rose. The name of the store was created from their last name Rose. The apostrophe shows possession. Therefore, Rose's Store is correct.

• Like 2

The original little wooden Rose's store that burned down ages ago was owned by my grandmother's uncle Homer Rose. The name of the store was created from their last name Rose. The apostrophe shows possession. Therefore, Rose's Store is correct.

Yes, it DID have the apostrophe when it was owned by Homer Rose, HOWEVER, when we bought the store we legally changed the business name to Roses and our logo was a rose. If you look at the sign on top of the store there is no apostrophe. It was taken down when we rebranded to Coastal. Since there was a shooting there a few months earlier that year (on Halloween) - we felt the store needed a fresh start.

And now you know the rest of the story. :)

Thanks Ms Ga Storm. I thought I was right but he seemed pretty confident:) Hope they put something good in the new store. My father in law and brother in law both worked at the old Rose's Store.

SHE was confident because she use to own the store and it is now Roses - no apostrophe. ;-)

Well alrighty then:). Thank you!

lol...it's only been that way since 1989 - few more years maybe more people will notice! Ha!

(In retrospect, we probably should have rebranded it to the name of our other convenience stores, but the store was always like the Big Chicken is for when it came to giving directions out there. That shooting was still kind of hanging over the store at the time like a black cloud though and we just felt there should be some new energy brought in to give it a fresh start. :)

Yes, it DID have the apostrophe when it was owned by Homer Rose, HOWEVER, when we bought the store we legally changed the business name to Roses and our logo was a rose. If you look at the sign on top of the store there is no apostrophe. It was taken down when we rebranded to Coastal. Since there was a shooting there a few months earlier that year (on Halloween) - we felt the store needed a fresh start.

And now you know the rest of the story. :)

SHE was confident because she use to own the store and it is now Roses - no apostrophe. ;-)

I never owned the store or even worked in it. I am currently housebound from illness and I have only left twice in the past six months to visit my doctor in Atlanta. The 70s when I was a little girl is when most of memories of the old store took place. The wooden plank floors and at one time it had a cigar American Indian in the back, which seemed SO TALL to me when I was that young! Uncle Homer would usually give my little brother and I a snack treat. <3 In 1989 I was 20, so I really wasn't paying attention to things like the store at that point in my life. At that age it still hurt to go visit out there as I had lost both my grandmothers within a few months of each other. I was also busy as I had been driving to Atlanta everyday working full time for a living and trying to figure out how I could possibly afford an apartment, other costs of living and school on my own. It took a couple of years before I could emotionally handle returning to the store area for more than Thanksgiving or Christmas with other family members.

At the Rose reunions that I attended with my grandmother they of course used a rose logo. When my maternal grandmother passed I was only 18 and lost touch with reunion coordinators. It would be nice to find out if they still have one. I am guessing when the store was sold out of the Rose family aunt Etta and her descendants were who sold it? She lived in the little rock house at the corner of Mulberry Rock and Buchannan Hwy. before it was sold and torn down. I always loved that little house and she was sweet to me. The rock made it naturally cool inside from the GA heat. It broke my heart to see it torn down and a physician's office built there. Uncle Johnny (my grandmother's brother) and his wife Aunt Thara lived out towards Draketown in a pretty white farmhouse. I loved the roses she had in her yard when I was kid and I still have a thing for roses and lilies to this day mostly because of her and my grandmother. Aunt Thara called me out of the blue about a year before she passed away and I hadn't heard from her in more than a decade.

Both of my families are from that immediate area. The Rose-Whites and the Hollis-Hartleys. It's funny that I am already losing my short term memory as I witnessed my grandfather do, but the long term memories, such as this and many more, are stuck for eternity. I frequently go back to them. :) It's way past time for me to sleep. Sorry that I rambled a bit. Have a great day!

• Like 7

I never owned the store or even worked in it. I am currently housebound from illness and I have only left twice in the past six months to visit my doctor in Atlanta. The 70s when I was a little girl is when most of memories of the old store took place. The wooden plank floors and at one time it had a cigar American Indian in the back, which seemed SO TALL to me when I was that young! Uncle Homer would usually give my little brother and I a snack treat. <3 In 1989 I was 20, so I really wasn't paying attention to things like the store at that point in my life. At that age it still hurt to go visit out there as I had lost both my grandmothers within a few months of each other. I was also busy as I had been driving to Atlanta everyday working full time for a living and trying to figure out how I could possibly afford an apartment, other costs of living and school on my own. It took a couple of years before I could emotionally handle returning to the store area for more than Thanksgiving or Christmas with other family members.

At the Rose reunions that I attended with my grandmother they of course used a rose logo. When my maternal grandmother passed I was only 18 and lost touch with reunion coordinators. It would be nice to find out if they still have one. I am guessing when the store was sold out of the Rose family aunt Etta and her descendants were who sold it? She lived in the little rock house at the corner of Mulberry Rock and Buchannan Hwy. before it was sold and torn down. I always loved that little house and she was sweet to me. The rock made it naturally cool inside from the GA heat. It broke my heart to see it torn down and a physician's office built there. Uncle Johnny (my grandmother's brother) and his wife Aunt Thara lived out towards Draketown in a pretty white farmhouse. I loved the roses she had in her yard when I was kid and I still have a thing for roses and lilies to this day mostly because of her and my grandmother. Aunt Thara called me out of the blue about a year before she passed away and I hadn't heard from her in more than a decade.

Both of my families are from that immediate area. The Rose-Whites and the Hollis-Hartleys. It's funny that I am already losing my short term memory as I witnessed my grandfather do, but the long term memories, such as this and many more, are stuck for eternity. I frequently go back to them. :) It's way past time for me to sleep. Sorry that I rambled a bit. Have a great day!

Ramble any time, I loved your story. :wub:

• Like 1

What a wonderful story! I mainly remember Billy Bullock running the old store when I was growing up. I wish I could remember his name, but one day an older gentlemen who was a descendant of the Roses came in the (newer) store and told me that initially the first store was actually located across the street to the right of Swaffords. He said they ground corn into mill there and there was a smokehouse behind it. He remembered working there as a boy. It sounded like it was more of a meeting place than anything else and the menfolk would ride up there with their wagons and trade what they had for things in the store. I never knew if this was true or not, but it was a fascinating story and he was so happy to tell it to the present day store owner. Wish I had recorded him or took some notes!!!! :)

• Like 4

What a wonderful story! I mainly remember Billy Bullock running the old store when I was growing up. I wish I could remember his name, but one day an older gentlemen who was a descendant of the Roses came in the (newer) store and told me that initially the first store was actually located across the street to the right of Swaffords. He said they ground corn into mill there and there was a smokehouse behind it. He remembered working there as a boy. It sounded like it was more of a meeting place than anything else and the menfolk would ride up there with their wagons and trade what they had for things in the store. I never knew if this was true or not, but it was a fascinating story and he was so happy to tell it to the present day store owner. Wish I had recorded him or took some notes!!!! :)

I have relatives live there since early 40"s . May have ask then. Rose's store was hang out place in that area when I was in mine teens.

so who owns the store now? it has changed a lot from it's originally atmosphere.. we stop in there on ocassion when we are out riding..

Rode by there yesterday. That's definitely bigger than just a convenience store. You could fit a cleaners and a nail salon in with it.................... just sayin'.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...