Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
LPPT

Question about our reservoir

I have a question about the reservoir being built, specifically the pipe.

On the weekends I go to my daughter's house in Rockmart,

I take Braswell mountain rd. They are building what looks like the pipeline from the Richland Creek.

Right now I have no idea how far along they are with the reservoir itself.

Every time I go through there on Saturdays and Sundays they are working on it.

I am not sure if the contractors are unionized or not. I know that legally they should be getting double time for Sunday.

I am also aware of how contracts are written for overages. I can't help but think double time is eating into it.

I could be way off with my concerns, that is why I am asking.

I think I get the question. It's more about union agreements than pay regulations.

In my entire career (all in Ga.) there may have been a total of 3 general contractors I've worked with that were union. One was a yankee firm from the frozen north (their gone), one was APAC (which no longer exists in any meaningful form), and the third escapes my memory. Point is that the chances are the work you saw is not union and only subject to time and a half over 40. If it rains a day or two during the week you can end up working all weekend for straight time. And with Ga. being a "Right to Work" state, not showing up will have you kickin' rocks on Monday.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers folks. I hope it is a gas line. Really large companies can be unionized so they can work in all states and for the government when it is a requirement. Some federal contracts require a company to strictly adhere to labor regulations to receive contracts. I have no issue with people receiving double for Sundays and holidays. I just don't want Paulding county taxpayers taken for a ride. The money needs to be spent on things that benefit us all. It is just strange to see people working 7 days a week for weeks on end.

I think the pipeline was put to bid and the lowest bidder won. If the contractor wants to work 24/7 that is up to them to complete the project for the agreed upon amount plus any other overages that may come up outside the bounds of the original contract. It would be interesting to know the final build out price. We all know how scopes creep.

• Like 1

Welcome away from the office world and to the construction industry. BT and FB are right LPPT the pipeline you saw has nothing to do with the reservoir it is a NG pipeline. The contract is a hard dollar bid so the OT comes out of the contractors pocket. When you bid a project like this you are presented a schedule. When you start, when you finish, usually with milestones for certain levels of completion. A good contractor will know whether it will require OT to meet this schedule and include the overhead in the bid. There are allowances for weather and acts of God but the failure to meet the schedule often results in liquidated damages and they can be very steep depending on the contract. As for a law requiring double time there is not nor has there ever been one. They are also right straight time days can shift if you are rained out during the week or in certain cases miss a day for other reasons. The laws are complicated and too detailed to list on here. Construction workers are often compensated at a high hourly rate and accept the rules that apply to the job. If someone is concerned about tax burden they should be concerned about union rules that sometimes do include double time rates, OT before 40 hours, organized non flexible breaks, obstruction to multiple job skills, obstruction to management using tools or performing manual tasks, etc. Georgia is a right to work state and that is a huge reason Gov. Deal has landed some high profile businesses to the state often luring them away from highly unionized areas like the Northeast.

• Like 4

Paulding county could lure some businesses if we had developed space and an airport to somewhere.

Instead of more houses.

• Like 1

This explains the guys working on the Gas Line ROW as it passes under Dabbs Bridge Road this week. I will say they were the most considerate crew I've seen, putting old tires and plywood on the road as the big machines crossed to keep from chewing up the pavement. (Though they are supposed to start paving over it again this week).

it looked like they were clearing brush and trees from one side, I guess that's where the new pipe will go.

This explains the guys working on the Gas Line ROW as it passes under Dabbs Bridge Road this week. I will say they were the most considerate crew I've seen, putting old tires and plywood on the road as the big machines crossed to keep from chewing up the pavement.

Energy pipelines have a similar status with railroads as they are considered defense infrastructure. Everything gets stepped up including inspection of contract​ requirements. Believe it or not you'll find language to cover things like that in just about any government contract. It's even tighter around Colonial and Plantation pipelines than this would be.

Energy pipelines have a similar status with railroads as they are considered defense infrastructure. Everything gets stepped up including inspection of contract​ requirements. Believe it or not you'll find language to cover things like that in just about any government contract. It's even tighter around Colonial and Plantation pipelines than this would be.

Along those same lines as Sound guy mentioned there was a street sweeper cleaning up the road by the construction Wednesday evening.

LOL, agreed on the government contracts. I used to work on bids for fiber optic equipment to Telephone companies just using government funding and holy carp was there a lot requirements to slog through!

Thanks for the answers folks. I hope it is a gas line. Really large companies can be unionized so they can work in all states and for the government when it is a requirement. Some federal contracts require a company to strictly adhere to labor regulations to receive contracts. I have no issue with people receiving double for Sundays and holidays. I just don't want Paulding county taxpayers taken for a ride. The money needs to be spent on things that benefit us all. It is just strange to see people working 7 days a week for weeks on end.

Yes indeed. With subdivision construction gearing up again, the county needs to be setting aside a nest egg to top coat the asphault in the subdivisions when the RBMD abandons them, and to take care of the other work that the bonds the RBMDs gave the county were written to take care of.

What did the last round cost us ? A tad over $10,000,000 ? We need our priorities lined up well.

that same pipe line is also at new ga, we seen it also in rome over the weekend, i will say this, they are booking it...... across that pipe line lol and as someone stated, the over time was put in with the bid on the job, if it is not done by a certain time the company can be fined.. unless extended that is what happened with construction on hwy 61/nebo they were suppose to be finished in dec, is what they put in their bid, but they had to extend it to January, so jan 10, the red light was turned on, (that was the second agreement) but road work no were near finished.. and now it is April... and still not finished I could probably guess, they have lost money on this job,