Paulding.com

Leins against houses, roofing company

Ron Crist was a good man. It's a shame to see the company he founded being drug through the mud like it's being done on Facebook. I saw this a few weeks ago on Facebook where the current operators said this was basically a bookkeeping error or misunderstanding that would quickly be corrected. I'm guessing the issues have not yet been corrected since this is on the news this week.

Edited current "owners" to "operators".

Edited by mojo413
  • Like 1

Must be something that built up on them. Got a new roof from them a yaear ago January, not a single problem.

It's hard when situations and people change in the structure of a reliable local business. I seem to remember some nashing of teeth about a local tree company that was changing for the worse a while back. Even my favorite local mechanic shop is going thru the same thing. I haven't seen them mentioned here yet, but I expect it's coming.

Ron Crist Jr is no longer with the company his dad started *Crist Roofing* he has started his own roofing company becasue of the way the VP has ran his dads company since Mr. Crist passed away.

The estate must be a mess to need over three years to clear probate.

there was no will, so yes probably a mess with a business involved.

How could he not have a will? Especially being a businessman.

Yep - I ask that same question just about every day of my working life. I see so many sad situations at work that could have been rectified by simply having a Will.

How could he not have a will? Especially being a businessman.

probably one of those deals were * I will make a will later on, i do not need one right now I am fine* and if anything happens my spouse can take care of everything..... which is a no no

and as i was typing this post, this issue was on the news....

If they are charging customers for materials and labor, why can't they pay their bills? It is just wrong for someone to have a lien placed on their home when they have in good faith paid the company in full for the material and work performed, estate or no.

• Like 4

If they are charging customers for materials and labor, why can't they pay their bills? It is just wrong for someone to have a lien placed on their home when they have in good faith paid the company in full for the material and work performed, estate or no.

I was curious too. Floating doesn't work when the unexpected happens.

Ron Crist Jr is no longer with the company his dad started *Crist Roofing* he has started his own roofing company becasue of the way the VP has ran his dads company since Mr. Crist passed away.

Can you PM me the name of Jr's business? We will be needing a new roof soon and Crist did a good job on the roof of our neighbor's home a few years ago.

• Like 1

Just need to ask you is you know what is going on Bob Hunton Rd.

I do not know any of the Crist family but I have made observations of the company in the past. As far as I know they do good work and do not know anything negative about that. However my observation is they spent money and bought lavish things when maybe they should have been a bit more frugal planning for a rainy day. They had a fleet of personal non practical business trucks/cars plastered with expensive body wraps all over town. I understand advertising but a fleet of jacked up trucks not practical at all for jobsites was just an indulgence and a poor use of funds. I know of no one who ever hired a roofer because they had a jacked up truck with their logo wrapped all over it. My point being if they spent foolishly in that area I wonder if they made other foolish business decisions. Sometimes great contractors are very good at their trade but lack business sense. I don't know if this is the case but I do wonder.

• Like 1

I do not know any of the Crist family but I have made observations of the company in the past. As far as I know they do good work and do not know anything negative about that. However my observation is they spent money and bought lavish things when maybe they should have been a bit more frugal planning for a rainy day. They had a fleet of personal non practical business trucks/cars plastered with expensive body wraps all over town. I understand advertising but a fleet of jacked up trucks not practical at all for jobsites was just an indulgence and a poor use of funds. I know of no one who ever hired a roofer because they had a jacked up truck with their logo wrapped all over it. My point being if they spent foolishly in that area I wonder if they made other foolish business decisions. Sometimes great contractors are very good at their trade but lack business sense. I don't know if this is the case but I do wonder.

Crust Roofing bought Hiram Police Dept a new Police Car, a few years ago!!

Crust Roofing bought Hiram Police Dept a new Police Car, a few years ago!!

That is great PR and helpful to the community/taxpayers. Maybe they should have paid their suppliers with that money. I don't know. Every contractor I know and I know a lot that got into financial trouble over spent and did not manage cash flow which snow balled into receivership and unpaid debts. You have to spend to stay in business and keep Uncle Sam from reaming you. You also have to manage the business long term, maintain cash flow and adjust with business cycles. I do not know if this is the case with these guys just my observations of small businesses over the years.

That is great PR and helpful to the community/taxpayers. Maybe they should have paid their suppliers with that money. I don't know. Every contractor I know and I know a lot that got into financial trouble over spent and did not manage cash flow which snow balled into receivership and unpaid debts. You have to spend to stay in business and keep Uncle Sam from reaming you. You also have to manage the business long term, maintain cash flow and adjust with business cycles. I do not know if this is the case with these guys just my observations of small businesses over the years.

The wrapped vehicles were Ron's idea. He was a smart business man. Ragsdale does the same. The traditional types of advertising have pretty much fallen by the road side. Why is this method so smart. A business pays for the production of ads and logos that remain their property to use for promotion. The real cost of advertising comes into play when you promote through print and other media. National advertising is beyond the reach of small business and cable along with things like Hulu have made it even more difficult to capture your local audience. Billboards have skyrocketed as they have lost competition from print. He had a handful of really smart practices a lot of people never knew about. I think he may have expanded to a regional company had he lived long enough.

I like Ron he had energy and charisma. Working with him was never dull.

When he used the vehicles he saw it as owning the billboard so he was ahead of the game. Instead of paying for another persons billboard, magazine or paper and then pay and compete for the space. Eventually he intended to purchase dumpsters and put his logo on them.

• Like 1

Can you PM me the name of Jr's business? We will be needing a new roof soon and Crist did a good job on the roof of our neighbor's home a few years ago.

https://www.facebook.com/RCJroofing/?pnref=lhc

https://www.rcjroofing.net/

Just need to ask you is you know what is going on Bob Hunton Rd.

no i did not know what was going on, i guess storm damage.

Not done so much here in Georgia (can get but not so much standard unless you request) but I've always demanded a lien waiver from the company I'm immediately dealing with.

You can get them here but you must push for them.

Limits your liability for the suppliers the company you are dealing with is dealing with.

Never dealt with Crist, went with another company 2X for asphalt shingles than got them to do metal ... love it now!

yes they interviewed former employees there and the manager who is trying to buy the company but can not until will is probated.. and the reason that Ron Crist Jr could not get his new roofing company in his name and had to go with the name he did was becasue the manager had already claimed the name.

yes they interviewed former employees there and the manager who is trying to buy the company but can not until will is probated.. and the reason that Ron Crist Jr could not get his new roofing company in his name and had to go with the name he did was becasue the manager had already claimed the name.

I just saw that on WSB-TV and was stunned that the manager would do something so underhanded and heartless! You know it has to hurt that he can't use his father's name and now he can't even use his OWN NAME for his company! That was awful. I hope he sues the hell out of that manager in the end.

Edited by MsGaStorm
  • Like 3

I just saw that on WSB-TV and was stunned that the manager would do something so underhanded and heartless! You know it has to hurt that he can't use his father's name and now he can't even use his OWN NAME for his company! That was awful. I hope he sues the hell out of that manager in the end.

I just went to the fb page and was no longer there... seems like a few employees of crist roofing had their commissions taken away when the manger changed the way things were done. he wants to buy the company but can not until probate is straight. but by that time he is not gonna have a company to manage. and him taking Ron Crist Jr name i think was a way to keep him from starting his own business. but that did not work.

My thoughts exactly! How horrible to have to stand by, unable to do anything, while another man ruins the company your father worked so hard to build. This would have been their entire families future. :(

• Like 2