Paulding.com

I Try To Stay Away From Stupid People, But It Gets Harder Every Day.

They are not stupid and many of them were active participants in the propaganda that created the current circumstance. The sad part is that many of those who were activity involved should have been smart enough to parse the information out there and recognize that the hyperbole that was spewed was simply either largely or totally untrue.

The founder of the Republican Party, Abraham Lincoln, famously said "You can fool some of the people all the time, all the people some of the time but you can't fool all the people all the time." Proof of that is the fact that over 140,000 Yugo's were sold in the US and Donald Trump was elected.

pubby

I watched Tom Price explain today how his investments in health care companies and the legislation he fought for that made them more valuable were all just a unusual coincidence. "Draining the Swamp" my ass.

Rep. Tom Price (R-Ga.), Donald Trump's nominee for health and human services secretary, invested between $1,000 and $15,000 in medical device manufacturer Zimmer Biomet last March, less than a week before introducing legislation that would greatly benefit the company, CNN reports,

http://theweek.com/speedreads/673582/trump-health-secretary-nominee-rep-tom-price-accused-insider-trading-congress

• Like 1

4-5 threads started today.... This one being the oldest and not a mod in sight. Political and calling half the nation stupid, but I'm okay with that....It's the double standard that stinks.

With respect to Tom Price, speculative words like "suggest" and phrases like "may have" lead me to believe that in 4-5 months after all the grandstanding... a small inconspicuous story will pop up in the paper indicating it's was all a non-issue.

- Jamie

Edited by Jamie Weaver
  • Like 1

4-5 threads started today.... This one being the oldest and not a mod in sight. Political and calling half the nation stupid, but I'm okay with that....It's the double standard that stinks.

With respect to Tom Price, speculative words like "suggest" and phrases like "may have" lead me to believe that in 4-5 months after all the grandstanding... a small inconspicuous story will pop up in the paper indicating it's was all a non-issue.

- Jamie

You don't have to wait... this FAKE NEWS was debunked almost immediately :

http://www.dailywire.com/news/12485/fake-news-cnn-reports-tom-price-bought-health-care-ben-shapiro

8)

Your article relies solely on tweets sent out by a Tom Price employee as 'proof' he didn't use his office to enrich himself.

The CNN story is factually incorrect.

There is ZERO evidence that Price has violated the law.

The burden of proof falls upon those making the claim.

8)

8)

The fact that his stock broker bought 15,000 dollars worth of stock for him in a company just a week before introducing legislation that enriched that company and himself is all the proof I need. Price does not deny any of this he just wants you to believe it was all just a happy coincidence.

You don't have to wait... this FAKE NEWS was debunked almost immediately :

http://www.dailywire.com/news/12485/fake-news-cnn-reports-tom-price-bought-health-care-ben-shapiro

8)

8)

First off it's not "fake news" it happened as it was reported. Your take on it is just spin.

Second, I cannot find where CNN said it was illegal. They reported the facts and left the conclusion to the reader.

Third, the fact that you refuse to hold Price guilty of allowing his character and motives to be questioned says a lot about your obvious partisan politics.

The fact that his stock broker bought 15,000 dollars worth of stock for him in a company just a week before introducing legislation that enriched that company and himself is all the proof I need. Price does not deny any of this he just wants you to believe it was all just a happy coincidence.

Your "facts" are incorrect.

CNN got the story wrong.

:nea:

Because FACTS still matter :

However, CNN decided to leave out key facts:

• Importantly, Price played no role in the decision to purchase the stock, which was executed under a broker-directed account by Morgan Stanley, according to a source with direct knowledge on the issue. The stock purchase was by his brokerage firm during a regular rebalancing of accounts.
  • The congressman — who for two decades was an orthopedic surgeon — also went on record opposing the CMS regulation six months before the stock selection had been made.
  • On Sept. 21, 2015 Price joined 60 Democrats and Republicans who questioned the Obama administration’s new, controversial Medicare reimbursement policy. In the letter, the group asked Andy Slavitt, the CMS acting administrator, to delay the regulation.
  • Further, Price introduced his legislation before he knew of the stock purchase. He was the chief sponsor of the HIP Act and he introduced it on March 23, 2016, according to House records. But Morgan Stanley did not inform Price of the Zimmer Biomet stock until April 14, according to House financial disclosure forms on the Georgia congressman’s transactions.

How big was the stock transaction that would have allowed Price to clean up?

It was 26 shares, amounting to a little less than $2,700.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/17/cnn-missed-or-ignored-key-facts-about-tom-prices-health-care-stocks/

8)

Edited by mrshoward

Because FACTS still matter :

How big was the stock transaction that would have allowed Price to clean up?

It was 26 shares, amounting to a little less than $2,700.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/01/17/cnn-missed-or-ignored-key-facts-about-tom-prices-health-care-stocks/

8)

So shady deals should only be judged shady by the amount of the take ?

There was no shady deal.

You've been punked by FAKE NEWS.

Again... :spiteful:

Further questionable facts about this ethics question......

Additionally, Zimmerman Bionets PAC made donations of $1,000.00 to Price's reelection campaign both before and after the introduction of the bill.

If it looks like a duck.......

There was no shady deal.

You've been punked by FAKE NEWS.

Again... :spiteful:

We shall see, hopefully, but with the fox's now guarding the henhouse I won't be holding my breath in the meantime.

Senators call for investigation of Tom Price's healthcare investments

Democrats raise concern over health secretary nominee, who bought and sold health-related stocks while he was an influential voice on healthcare policy

Health stock trades

Price has traded more than $300,000 worth of stock in about 40 health-related companies since 2012, according to an analysis by the Wall Street Journal. Among those were trades in large companies, such as Pfizer, Bristol-Myers Squibb and insurer Aetna.

But his most notable stock purchase was for the little-known Australian company Innate Immunotherapeutics, when in August 2016 he bought between $50,000 and $100,000 worth of stock at a discount from the company.

Other Innate Immunotherapeutics investors also have ties to Trump’s transition team. The company’s largest investor is Republican Chris Collins, who is Trump’s congressional liaison. He worked closely with Price in the past, and has helped shape health legislation. Other investors in the company are Collins’s two adult children, Collins’s chief of staff, Michael Hook, and the former congressman turned lobbyist who represented Collins’s district, Bill Paxon, according to the New York Times.

In a letter to the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Office of Congressional Ethics, advocacy group Public Citizen said that while the available information so far “falls short of evidence that any illegal insider trading or violations of congressional ethics rules have occurred, the patterns, opportunities and remarkable financial benefits gained, and to be gained, warrant investigation”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/18/tom-price-senators-investigation-trump-health-secretary-nomination

Remember this is the man that will help shape America's health care system for the next decade.

For those following Rep. Tom Price’s path to confirmation as the Trump administration’s Secretary of Health and Human Services, you may have noticed some serious allegations of unethical stock trading from Democrats and a few pieces of misleading journalism. Most recently, there’s CNN’s allegation that Tom Price introduced the HIP Act (which would remove CMS regulations on medical device manufacturers) to boost the stock price of Zimmer Biomet after $2,697.74 of such stock was unknowingly purchased a week prior by Price’s Morgan Stanley financial adviser as part of his portfolio’s annual rebalance (a rebalance which included transacting in 69 other stocks on the same day as these reports will fail to mention).

These reports also fail to mention that Dr. Price began this legislative effort to delay these same CMS regulations back in 2015 and that HIP Act of 2016 had essentially zero chance of becoming law given the Obama administration’s public opposition. Not to mention, Zimmer Bionet stock actually fell both on the day of the introduction of the HIP Act, and the day after.

After having done some research on Rep. Price’s entire portfolio over the past 10 years and having spoken to those with detailed information on the matter, let me explain in detail how these allegations are completely unfounded.........

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonhartley/2017/01/18/how-the-stock-trading-allegations-against-tom-price-are-completely-unfounded/#39a996d04144

- Jamie

Edited by Jamie Weaver
  • Like 1

For the record, CNN's fake news story was based on the questions that Rep. Price was asked during his hearing as secy of HHS.

Hence, if the questions raised in this congressional hearing were 'fake news' ... then can we presume that other questions raised in congressional hearings are 'fake news' ... you know; like the swirly do-do stuff called benghazi?

You know mshoward, your commentary can all be distilled down to the notion that you're right wing and because you're right wing, you're right and that makes you right, right?

pubby

Ahhhhhhh, another contributor opinion piece NOT backed by Forbes. In fact the following disclaimer appears:

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.....

Is the information true and correct? I don't know for sure. I just wish that the proposed head of our healthcare programs had more sense than to even be involved in something as questionable as this.

What is founded are expectations regarding ethics in government that suggest that elected officials are aware of not only actual conflicts of interest but also even the appearance of conflict of interest. This is well established expectation in state and local government and is part of the training that all new city councilmen, county commissioners, etc. experience.

If Mr. Price were operating with an ethical mindset, he would have directed his investment advisors to avoid investments in the entire medical field because of the 'potential' for the appearance of an ethical conflict of interest. I mean there are numerous other industries - the medical and health field is less than one-fifth of the economy and there are a multitude of investment opportunities in the remaining 83 percent of the economy.

Be he apparently chose to be heavily invested in an area of the economy that he had not only specific knowledge but the ONE AREA where his actions in congress would have an obvious impact.

Oh, and for the record, the way legislation moves in congress, you can bet that the choice to legislate in an area precedes the introduction of legislation by years. I.e. there are lobbyists pushing for the changes of regulations one, two or three years prior to the introduction of a specific legislative initiatives.

Your analysis that there was no conflict because the bill was not introduced until a week after he bought the stock is like saying that he bought the stock, went home, smoked some dope, had a dream and crafted a bit of legislation based on wild dreams days and it is all okay because he didn't know what was going to happen until he put pen to paper the morning that he introduced the proposed law.

I think you can agree the whole notion is bullcheese ... including your notion that the charges of the appearance of a conflict of interest was ''coincidental.' Again, bullcheese piled on bullcheese with extra bullcheese on top.

pubby

Ahhhhhhh, another contributor opinion piece NOT backed by Forbes. In fact the following disclaimer appears:

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.....

Is the information true and correct? I don't know for sure. I just wish that the proposed head of our healthcare programs had more sense than to even be involved in something as questionable as this.

It's nothing more than parliamentary theater. If it isn't, lock him up and throw away the key.

- Jamie

For the last eight years President Obama was accused by the conservative right of everything except being a child of God. Now that the Trump mafia has or is about to move in the White House the holier than thou Right has shown their true colors. They don't and never have given a tinker's damn about ethics, the deficit, corruption or even the competence of their representatives. It has and always has been about power and agenda. Well they have done a fine job pulling the wool over the American people, convinced them compromise is a dirty word, the Left is evil and that their very survival hinged on the Republican Party.

Well bumper sticker politics time is over, they have god help, us absolute power now, Obama by every measurable standard has handed over a healthy, thriving nation, We saw what happened the last time they were at bat, we will see what they do this time.

• Like 3

For the last eight years President Obama was accused by the conservative right of everything except being a child of God. Now that the Trump mafia has or is about to move in the White House the holier than thou Right has shown their true colors. They don't and never have given a tinker's damn about ethics, the deficit, corruption or even the competence of their representatives. It has and always has been about power and agenda. Well they have done a fine job pulling the wool over the American people, convinced them compromise is a dirty word, the Left is evil and that their very survival hinged on the Republican Party.

Well bumper sticker politics time is over, they have god help, us absolute power now, Obama by every measurable standard has handed over a healthy, thriving nation, We saw what happened the last time they were at bat, we will see what they do this time.

LOL...And no one has yet to even take office. Amazing.

- Jamie

Right now he is responding to his critics... We can better answer that question after his inauguration speech.

- Jamie

Responding to his critics? Right now he is displaying his lack of self control and schoolyard bully mentality.

• Like 1

Frankly, I believe we are seeing a lot of people behaving badly. The OP thread title provides a good example.

- Jamie

Last I heard the postman does not hold public office much less about to become President of the United States and the leader of the free world.

• Like 1

Low:

I heard that Osama Bin Laden said something similar ... you know

I lived through Bush, I'll live through Obama.

I'll agree it is not the end of the world ... but I have to say Hume's skepticism is looming large.

pubby

Going back to the OP.....

I like to download documentaries from YouTube, but sometimes the opinion of the documentary will - like a train - jump its tracks and go off on a political tangent. Without naming the party, let me try to see if I can make you "detect" it on your own.....

Re: The "party" thing - which party could it be? I admit it could be either one, but just for the sake of argument, I see what I am about to describe can be true for one or the other party, but just hang with me for a couple of minutes and maybe it will make sense to you. If not, MY feelings won't be hurt and I hope the same will be true on your end.

1. Let's say the documentary is about Egypt; the first inappropriate comment (nothing to do with pyramids) may or may not begin with the word "LIBERAL" and off we go!

2. Within the body of the thread, some well-meaning soul will try to bring our train back on course (Egypt and its pyramids, remember?), but to no avail. The first "malcontent" pops back in with another off-topic comment, but this time, he's "brought along" a companion who attempt to "strengthen" Mr. Inappropriate's comment (about the Liberates) with the phrase "Well said!".......and now we're on a "roll" and the original subject is lost with some very creative wording and the OP is wondering just where he or she "lost control". He also is hoping his "Significant Other" isn't following the thread, because even though he's trying valiantly to defend his position he did not prepare for this.

4. Our "train" has now arrived in Bremen - original destination Villa Rica and our intrepid OP has decided to just join the now full-blown battle over which party is dominant, and as Nefertiti and Akhenaten (Remember them? Egypt? The pyramids?) look on with great amusement, the train finally runs off the tracks leaving "diplomacy" sitting on the bench and from within the loud cacophony of voices, one can hear the phrase which will end this "conflict" and which has become the "catch phrase" ever since Sam Elliott used it in the film "The Big Lebowski"..........

"You must be a SPECIAL kind of Stupid!"

If for some reason this doesn't make sense to you (or others), you're in good company. I have "CRS Disease" and sooner or later, maybe it will "hit" you!

Edited by Christopher Robin

I use the acronym to describe myself to lighten the mood if I happen to make a mistake, but as you think it important to point out that "CRS is the same kind of disease as being a special kind of stupid", I would be interested by you using that same adjective in front of someone else who has the disease or is someone's caregiver. You might try going to www.alz.org and post that first sentence as you did in your previous post.

I use the acronym to describe myself to lighten the mood if I happen to make a mistake, but as you think it important to point out that "CRS is the same kind of disease as being a special kind of stupid", I would be interested by you using that same adjective in front of someone else who has the disease or is someone's caregiver. You might try going to www.alz.org and post that first sentence as you did in your previous post.

I have recently heard a new catch phrase, C R! It is "Alternative Facts." What are Alternative Facts?

Maybe CRS, and SKOS (Specioal Kind Of Stupidid), are phrases which are much like Alternative Facts. I don't know, but it seems reasonable.

THE TERM of the week — and an early contender for euphemism of the year — is “alternative facts,” which emerged last Sunday when “Meet the Press” host Chuck Todd interviewed Kellyanne Conway, President Trump’s senior adviser, about why press secretary Sean Spicer had manufactured inauguration attendance figures. Amid hemming and hawing, Conway said Spicer had used “alternative facts,” to which Todd retorted, “Alternative facts aren’t facts; they are falsehoods.”

Edited by The Postman