Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Coppertop's Pop

We need to attract decent businesses to Paulding

On my street Merchants Drive near New Canaan Baptist Church, this junky used car lot blocks traffic all the time. Folks test drive old beaters up and down through residential streets. They race the motors and leave black marks on the pavement, they leak grease and oil all over the road. On top of that, the grass is like 4 ft tall and the place is a dump.

Why won't the Marshal's office be pro-active and run the riff raff out of town?

We don't need more Vape Stores, Check Cashers, Tattoo Parlors and NO MORE USED CAR LOTS. Why can't our economic development team attract decent businesses?

I can tell you that the Marshalls are not going to do anything. I don't know why we have them, except to sit at the

court house. Now they want more up there?????

• Like 2

If I had the power, I would disband the Marshall's Office and start a new countywide police force (county police).

• Like 4

That does not mean that you are any better off with County Police vs County Marshal services.

That does not mean that you are any better off with County Police vs County Marshal services.

The garbage man enforcing local ordinances would be better than the Marshal.

• Like 1

I'm remember years and years ago there was talk about creating a county police force, like Cobb, but nothing ever came of it.

I'm remember years and years ago there was talk about creating a county police force, like Cobb, but nothing ever came of it.

Small town leaders like having a local sheriff's dept under their control and regard them as their 'muscle' when local residents like the Morrisons step out of line.

• Like 3

If I had the power, I would disband the Marshall's Office and start a new countywide police force (county police).

There are only 12 counties in Georgia that have county police departments. I used to promote the idea. However, to do so, is complex and rather expensive. You are basically creating a brand new county department; one that comes with infrastructure and equipment requirements that I don't think our budget could withstand. Also, unlike the existing county police departments, state law now requires the question to be put to the voters of the particular county. County commissions no longer have the luxury of simply creating the department by commission vote alone. Further, factor in that a county police department is quite frankly beholden and at the behest of the commission chairman, board of commissioners, etc--if not directly, certainly by proxy given the Police Commissioner is chosen by the BOC. A county sheriff in Georgia IS NOT a part of county government.

Personally, I'll take a law enforcement leader who is chosen by the voters rather than appointed--if given the choice.

• Like 2

On my street Merchants Drive near New Canaan Baptist Church, this junky used car lot blocks traffic all the time. Folks test drive old beaters up and down through residential streets. They race the motors and leave black marks on the pavement, they leak grease and oil all over the road. On top of that, the grass is like 4 ft tall and the place is a dump.

Why won't the Marshal's office be pro-active and run the riff raff out of town?

We don't need more Vape Stores, Check Cashers, Tattoo Parlors and NO MORE USED CAR LOTS. Why can't our economic development team attract decent businesses?

They've been too busy running around playing like there's no airport and telling everybody the sky is falling. 8)

• Like 2

They've been too busy running around playing like there's no airport and telling everybody the sky is falling. 8)

Glassdogs The facts are that David Austin forced a resignation from Jamie Gilbert who has head of the Paulding County Economic Development, After he had made great strides in the new Business Park on Bill Carruth Parkway.

David Allowed the Director of the PCED to remain vacant for months before filling it with Robert Reynolds., And even reduced the budget the last two years for this department.

David Austin drew up a budget this year and last year that did not include any money for the Industrial Building Authority, and being ran by Brother, Boyd Austin, who very handily got the defunct Industrial Building Authority to issue a bond covering multiple water and sewer bonds for the city of Dallas, who was unable to issue the bonds themselves due to finical problems within the city of Dallas.

Of course this sewer line and treatment facility will be used to support the huge sub division (almost 2,000 homes) that is being built in the Burnt Hickory community off 61 north, along with other housing in the Sweetwater creek basin.

Makes one wonder why the IBA should really be renamed the Paulding County housing authority ?? They have been very good at helping the home building industry, while ignoring the Industrial buildings they are suppose to be supporting.

Glassdogs is there some reason that you ignore the fact that we no longer have a CEO of the Paulding County Chamber of commerce? Surely they can fill a job opening that pays over $100,000 plus lucrative benefits.

Glassdogs look at the video of the Budget hearing and you will discover that 21 (twenty oee) yep 21 of the 55 jobs that the Chamber was boasting that commercial passenger service would create was actually jobs that the Paulding County taxpayers were going to have to pay for. Look at the report that fire chief gives.

The FAA requires 7 firemen per shift, 24/7 and that equals about $1,250,000 additional tax dollars per year for two flights per week. Check that out it is on the County channel as well as the Stop page!

The Austin Boys priority is the Commercial passenger Airport, they have not put resources into attracting high paying high quality Industrial, Manufacturing, and High tech jobs!!!! Prove me wrong!!!!!

• Like 1

Glassdogs The facts are that David Austin forced a resignation from Jamie Gilbert who has head of the Paulding County Economic Development, After he had made great strides in the new Business Park on Bill Carruth Parkway.

David Allowed the Director of the PCED to remain vacant for months before filling it with Robert Reynolds., And even reduced the budget the last two years for this department.

David Austin drew up a budget this year and last year that did not include any money for the Industrial Building Authority, and being ran by Brother, Boyd Austin, who very handily got the defunct Industrial Building Authority to issue a bond covering multiple water and sewer bonds for the city of Dallas, who was unable to issue the bonds themselves due to finical problems within the city of Dallas.

Of course this sewer line and treatment facility will be used to support the huge sub division (almost 2,000 homes) that is being built in the Burnt Hickory community off 61 north, along with other housing in the Sweetwater creek basin.

Makes one wonder why the IBA should really be renamed the Paulding County housing authority ?? They have been very good at helping the home building industry, while ignoring the Industrial buildings they are suppose to be supporting.

Glassdogs is there some reason that you ignore the fact that we no longer have a CEO of the Paulding County Chamber of commerce? Surely they can fill a job opening that pays over $100,000 plus lucrative benefits.

Glassdogs look at the video of the Budget hearing and you will discover that 21 (twenty oee) yep 21 of the 55 jobs that the Chamber was boasting that commercial passenger service would create was actually jobs that the Paulding County taxpayers were going to have to pay for. Look at the report that fire chief gives.

The FAA requires 7 firemen per shift, 24/7 and that equals about $1,250,000 additional tax dollars per year for two flights per week. Check that out it is on the County channel as well as the Stop page!

The Austin Boys priority is the Commercial passenger Airport, they have not put resources into attracting high paying high quality Industrial, Manufacturing, and High tech jobs!!!! Prove me wrong!!!!!

Do you have any other information as to the location of this new neighborhood in Burnt Hickory with 2,000 houses?

That drum has been broken for a long time, yet, you keep beating it.

So, how's your search for a "write-in" Chairman coming along?

You might want to read this article. It sorta blows the cover off of your hero, Todd Pownall.

http://www.mdjonline.com/neighbor_newspapers/west_georgia/

Edited by Glassdogs
  • Like 1

You might want to read this article. It sorta blows the cover off of your hero, Todd Pownall.

Search is coming along okay.

I was in hopes that you would be with me on having another election for Chairman?

Surely you do not want a person running the county that only received 3,258 out of 74,435 registered voters? Heck glassdogs that is just a little over 4% of the registered voters????

Do you have any other information as to the location of this new neighborhood in Burnt Hickory with 2,000 houses?

Going North on HWY 61 just past Pumpkin Vine creek on the right side stops South of Mt. Moriah road

• Like 1

WOW what a dodge, are you really okay with hiring 21 firemen to work the airport 7 days a week 24,7 for two flights per week at a cost to the tax payers of over $1,125,000. we don't have that many firemen protecting our schools and homes per fire house? WTH is wrong with these pro airport folks. I am so glad that Todd, Tony, Ron and Vernon is looking out for the citizens!!!

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm not sure why they are even trying to get new positions approved. How many people lost their jobs because of the anti airport people crawling into county business to the extent that they thought they knew what positions should be eliminated?

I would think that all this micro managing has gotten to the point of being harmful to the daily business of the county.

Here's a novel idea, officials have been elected by the people. How about letting them do their job?

If we have grievances, we will have a chance to vote them out of office with the following election.

• Like 2

Search is coming along okay.

I was in hopes that you would be with me on having another election for Chairman?

Surely you do not want a person running the county that only received 3,258 out of 74,435 registered voters? Heck glassdogs that is just a little over 4% of the registered voters????

Uhhh...NO. I'm more than happy to have a distinguished Marine Colonel veteran with an education from a quality SEC university with a history of leadership sitting as Chairman of this County.

But, you go ahead and see if you can find somebody with the skills, background, integrity, energy, and intelligence to go along with your petulant little scheme.

Uhhh...NO. I'm more than happy to have a distinguished Marine Colonel veteran with an education from a quality SEC university with a history of leadership sitting as Chairman of this County.

But, you go ahead and see if you can find somebody with the skills, background, integrity, energy, and intelligence to go along with your petulant little scheme.

Not a scheme Glassdogs, It is part of the election laws of the State of Georgia. We really need more than 4% of the registered voters to elect the Chairman

I think the elephant in the room is "Why Is Our Voter Turnout So Low?"

Personally I think people have seen the GOB network alive and well in Paulding County so long there's a mentality of "You Can't Beat The GOB's, so why care?"

I think we have an opportunity to turn that negative perception around in the next 2 years. If the 5 Commissioners work together, respect each other, demonstrate they represent the citizens and openly reject the GOB influence then maybe people might come back to the polls. It's also going to take the citizens doing the same.

21 firemen to work the airport 7 days a week 24,7

Please share with everyone where you are finding the aircraft rescue and fire fighting requirement?

We really need more than 4% of the registered voters to elect the Chairman

As you have pointed out, the county has not elected the Chairman yet, just as they have not elected any new school board members, and coroner---YET. To date, the only thing that has occurred is the Republican party has decided who will represent their party on the ballot for these races. The Democratic party will not have anyone on the ballot for these races.

Let's make no mistake, the November ballot is when the Chairman is elected. November's ballot being a presidential election, I fully expect the turnout to be much higher than 4%.

• Like 1

Going North on HWY 61 just past Pumpkin Vine creek on the right side stops South of Mt. Moriah road

This does not sound accurate... there is an empty parcel north of the creek,

but there are already homes and neighborhoods just south of Mt. Moriah...

:huh:

Not a scheme Glassdogs, It is part of the election laws of the State of Georgia. We really need more than 4% of the registered voters to elect the Chairman

Nobody has ever said your whiny little scheme was against the law. Other than against the "law" of common sense.

The underlying erroneous assumption in your stupid idea is that somehow the outcome would have been different if the turnout had been 40% instead of 4%.

It's interesting how you always change your tune to what suits you and your agenda at the moment, Whitey. I remember when the 3 anti-airport commissioners were elected how you were all proudly beating your chest with "the citizens have spoken!" even though it was also just a small turn out of voters. I guess it's not a big deal if only 4 or 6% of registered voters in the county elect government officials on behalf of the entire 150000 residents as long as it fits in with your ideals and it's somebody you support.

Isn't it time to start healing the county and try to make the best of what's been dealt?

• Like 1

I am sorry, but Paulding has not been able to determine what "decent business" is, for as long as I can remember. hey have been offered a multitude of opportunities, and there was one excuse after another.

A race track brings too much traffic. An airport brings pollution, and unsavory persons. An entertainment location similar to Mountasia is not the sort of image we want to portray.

Paulding does not have great interstate access, or a lot of infrastructure going for it. That makes it limited on what businesses are going to thrive here.

More and more stores and shopping centers cannot, because the population cannot support them, Manufacturing requires truck accessibility, a willing work force, and additional resources.

Paulding is a "bedroom community". I can remember being told that when I was in school here. Most residents travel long distances to work. That also leads to traffic problems.

I would love for the perfect businesses to discover the area, but how?

Auto manufacturing has come to several areas close, but haven't chosen Paulding. Bartow has huge industry, but cannot supply a sufficient work force. I do not know the answers, but I have been listening to the excuses for a long time.

The City of Dallas did not even have the insight to ask for additional access to Hwy 278 when it was expanded.

Does anyone have any suggestions to what "decent businesses" would be? Any suggestions on how to attract them?

• Like 3

I think the elephant in the room is "Why Is Our Voter Turnout So Low?"

Personally I think people have seen the GOB network alive and well in Paulding County so long there's a mentality of "You Can't Beat The GOB's, so why care?"

I think we have an opportunity to turn that negative perception around in the next 2 years. If the 5 Commissioners work together, respect each other, demonstrate they represent the citizens and openly reject the GOB influence then maybe people might come back to the polls. It's also going to take the citizens doing the same.

The whole state of Georgia may start trimming down of GOB's, soon!

People need to wise up, in this state, and in every county about Good Ol Boy networks.

Here's one example:

SPARTA, Ga. -- Georgia State Representatives and community activists are alleging voter discrimination in one Georgia county.

Now they’re demanding immediate action be taken to rectify the issue.

Representatives believe there are cases of voter suppression in Sparta, Ga. that are as recent as the last two weeks.

And as 11Alive discovered from the lawsuit filed in November, this appears to be an ongoing concern.

The National Action Network along with two state representatives said they’ve received many calls about an ongoing problem in the city – a small community in Hancock County about 70 miles west of Augusta, Ga.

They’re claiming that sheriff’s deputies went door-to-door to 180 black residents requesting they appear in court to prove their residency – or risk losing their right to vote.

“This is not a surprise,” State Rep. Dee Dawkins-Haigler said. “This is a new form of voter suppression and voter dilution.”

This does not sound accurate... there is an empty parcel north of the creek,

but there are already homes and neighborhoods just south of Mt. Moriah...

:huh:

It's near Bartow and Paulding County line.

It's near Bartow and Paulding County line.

Oh Dear God, they have an airport up there. Whatever will the home owners do?

• Like 1

The area that Whitey described is nowhere near the county line.

:nea:

But I think that is where the building he described is taking place.

Need to get fire coverage to the ENTIRE county before such a huge investment for a limited area like the airport. I have paid property tax for more than 25 years, as well as the additional fire tax and have never been within a fire district. Got fire hydrants all around my home but no fire department close enough to do anything except maybe keep a fire from spreading to the woods and other homes nearby. Not to mention the cost of insurance...

I really would like to know exactly where these 2,000 homes are going to be built ? ? ?

Does anyone have more accurate information ? ? ?

:)

post-19397-0-99202700-1470940674_thumb.jpg

I'm not positive but I am told that this is where it is (about a mile and a quarter North of Northside Elementary School):

attachicon.gif14012679_1324470240898259_2085920058_o_png.jpg

I'm not positive but I am told that this is where it is (about a mile and a quarter North of Northside Elementary School):

Thank you... that makes a little more sense. Although the traffic and schools will still be a major problem.

(I don't think many people realize how big the area is up here... the earlier descriptions were confusing.)

It's interesting how you always change your tune to what suits you and your agenda at the moment, Whitey. I remember when the 3 anti-airport commissioners were elected how you were all proudly beating your chest with "the citizens have spoken!" even though it was also just a small turn out of voters. I guess it's not a big deal if only 4 or 6% of registered voters in the county elect government officials on behalf of the entire 150000 residents as long as it fits in with your ideals and it's somebody you support.

Isn't it time to start healing the county and try to make the best of what's been dealt?

Jane Ty elections are for making changes, The election is not over until the votes are counted on November 8th 2016..

Of course you knew that you were just trying to mislead the citizens.

If the citizens are okay with 3,258 of 74,435 registered voters making the decision as to who is going to hold the highest elected position in the county I can live with that.

I would like to see a candidate oppose the primary winner in November, Heck that is why the law permits this!!!!

Typical Paulding.

Topic is for new budinesses needed. And tutns to 2000 more houses with occupants who will have to work elsewhere.

Go figure.

Maybe you can lobby to get the three weeks of voting extended to 12 weeks, so then turnout could quadruple to...16%.

Again, three weeks of voting, plus absentee voting for absolutely any reason. And if you still get 4% after that, then that's what you get. If only 4% of the eligible voters want to determine the future leaders of the county, then so be it. Don't whine when the few who bother to take 10-15 minutes to vote choose the candidate(s) you don't like.

• Like 1

Jane Ty elections are for making changes, The election is not over until the votes are counted on November 8th 2016..

Of course you knew that you were just trying to mislead the citizens.

If the citizens are okay with 3,258 of 74,435 registered voters making the decision as to who is going to hold the highest elected position in the county I can live with that.

I would like to see a candidate oppose the primary winner in November, Heck that is why the law permits this!!!!

First you say you can live with 3,258 votes making the decision.

In the next sentence, you want to see an opposing candidate in November.

Which is it?

It's obvious. You don't like the outcome, and you are banging your spoon on your high chair tray.

WOW what a dodge, are you really okay with hiring 21 firemen to work the airport 7 days a week 24,7 for two flights per week at a cost to the tax payers of over $1,125,000. we don't have that many firemen protecting our schools and homes per fire house? WTH is wrong with these pro airport folks. I am so glad that Todd, Tony, Ron and Vernon is looking out for the citizens!!!

Whitey, I understand your point. I do, however, believe that many of the folks that live around the airport that are outside that 5 mile radius that causes you to pay triple homeowners insurance premiums may disagree with the need for a fire department, as it would service this long neglected part of the county as well as the airport.