Paulding.com

Sometimes simple food is nice dinner thread

Cold Potato Soup, [Vichysouisse] with croutons, salad, and Bacon Lettuce [garden] tomatoes sandwiches. A no heat simple supper perfect for HOT weather.

Does anyone else ever do cold soups ?

Granddaughter always has to hae her's warmed up.

Bon Apetite Y'all !!!

Sounds good!

We are having Black Forest Ham Paninis on Texas Toast with Swiss & Chow-Chow, serving a large Greek Salad using our own homegrown cherry tomatoes as the "star". Fresh Cantaloupe for dessert.

YUM!

I've never had cold soup. Seems weird but I'd be willing to try it.

I'm grilling up some chicken and chopping up some red onion, cucumbers, tomatoes and romaine for Shawarma wraps. I'm going to make a yogurt sauce too. On the side where having a Greek salad and grilled baby potatoes.

I am not a fan of cold soups; but maybe haven't met the right one yet. You all are making me want to cook again. I cook almost never though I love it. After the winter holidays, I was just sick of it.

I love to see these posts; I feel inspired. Thanks to all.

Nothing like a bowl of cold borscht with sour cream and sprinkled with green onions and fresh dill on a hot summer day. Only I cheated and didn't cook it. My mom freezes it by the gallon when I come visit her so I can take some home with me.

Vishysouisse is a famous French Potato Leek Onion soup that is very strong. When finished cooking it, you run it though a blender or use the boat motor and puree it to a sliky smooth finish. Then chill, and serve about 1 part soup and 1 part creme, with some nutmeg on top and croutons. A really nice refreshing accompanyment to a sandwich, salad etc.

I have also had many other cold soupts the are wonderful.

Tomato

Cucumber

Melon

Black Bean [with a big dollop of Creme Fraische on top] For this my favorite is to make a big batch of Fegoada, the Brasilian black bean stew dating back to the slave days as the Sunday meal. I simply add stock, after cooling and boning all the meats and then put it in a blender or the boat motor again.

This and a nice Mexican Quesadilla makes a wonderful meal with a side salad.

When we do Vichysouisse, I make about 3-4 gallons, getting a large bunch or 2 of giant leeks. And using up all the old potatoes, onions, scallions, etc. You can put some cut chives on top too for a refreshing bite. Then we freeze 1 quart containers.....thaw them out, cut with the cream or half and half, and serve.

You can cook the soup in the morning when it is still cool outside, and then process it and put it in the fridge. I use these kinds of soup as a means to clean out the veggie drawer. Fuzzy carrots, old celery, and other such fridge stuff goes in, cooks down, and processes to a silky smooth soup. Stick it in the fridge, and with a sandwich or salad or both, you have a really nice dinner that does not heat up the kitchen.

Other nice side sandwiches are grilled cheese with tomato, ham and cheese panini, Cuban Pork with pickeles, etc.

Bon apetite' Y'all!!!! Enjoy!

We also find we don't want as big of a meal in the evening when it is so freaking hot outside.