Paulding.com

Wellstar or DeathStar ? Anyone else have some experiences to share?

After my medical debaucles, and dying 3 times in a Wellstar hospital the past 2 years, I thought maybe I should speak out.

I closed my business in 2007, and Melissa had gone to work for the state. We had our insurance via her job. She put up with her AH boss for years, and his holding her back from transfers within the Ag Department and she finally just quite in 2012. And her boss was able to get her Cobra coverage all screwed up so that come 2 months later we found out we had NO insurance. When we tried to get back on with United Health, BCBS, etc., they "pre-existed" my Osteo Arthritis and Cardio.

Note, we had full insurance coverage since forever, and provided company paid insurance for our workers after year tenure.

So what was the point in having insurance at all ? if I had no coverage for my primary 2 issues.

By 2013 I could no longer ride my bike, My right hip was shot, bone on bone, and the left one was starting to get bad as well.

January 2014 I signed on with the ACA marketplace, and got Humana coverage. An excellent policy with a $2000 out of pocket and $2500 deductible. The premium was $600+ a month, but I qualified for $500 in subsidies. I was covered on Feb 1, 2014.

On Feb 2 I was in my cardiologist office as I knew he had to sign off on me getting the hip surgery as I am always in Asymptomatic A-Fib. He put me right in the hospital that day as my BP was 188/160.

We got my BP stabilized, and some pain meds for my hips and knees.

In May the cardiologist signed off, and I saw an Emory Orthopaedic a week later. They had me in Emory 2 weeks later to replace the right hip on monday June 23rd. Came home Thursday night, and was rushed to Paulding Wellstar the next day, with an Ilius.....all my organs shut down, and I had emergency surgery that night. Then 3 weeks in ICU after dying on the table twice. I was finally home the end of July.

Humana paid basically everything. And no doctor ever said a word about any extra paperwork....they had no way to know it was via the ACA and the Marketplace. To them it was a Humana Silver policy.

Came home, and started working on rehabing the hip as I lost a month in the hospital. I also had only planned to be out of touch working, as an independent consultant for 7-10 days, .....not a month. And I was on Oxycodine and told by the surgeon to take the damn pills, sleep, and rest if I wanted to get better.

Since I had lost several major jobs I was working on while down and out, we also ended up losing our house in October.

Had the left hip replaced December 2014, and was still recovering from that last May when I hired some helpers to assist me with cleaning out the garage to use as a workshop. I breathed in some moldy fiberglass insulation dust and developed a horrific cough. Several days later Melissa took me to Paulding ER on May 25th. I had a 48% oxygen level.

I don't remember anything after the nurses pulling my wedding band off my finger. I eventually came to in an ambulance moving me from Kennestone to Windy Hill on July 30.

But it seems, everything that could go wrong after that at the hospital......did, or worse. Wellstar seemed to miss the whole point that it was my chest that was hurting, and did a catscan of my belly. It was 4 days before a doctor finally listened to my wife that it was my chest, and she showed him my left side which was then purple black from my back around my left side to my front.

They took me down and did a cat scan of my chest, but no one bothered to read it until my wife was bugging them the next day. When they did read it, they rushed me up to ICU. I had a torn diaphragm and 16 broken ribs.

But now I was too critical to operate on, so they took me in an ambulance to Kennestone.

Surgery eventually went great, and then I got an infection because the nurses refused to wash and clean me. I had ICU Delerium where I fought them on everything [i don't remember any of this] and would pull out my IVs, try to get out of bed and escape, etc. And then Pneumonia/

Long story short, as this goes on for almost 2 months, Wellstar ended up killing me July 4th night. I had a tracheotomy tube in, and pneumonia, and was making fluid which was collecting in my trache. Melissa had not been away from my side for a week, and told the nurses, repiratory therapist, and anyone else on the floor that she was going home to shower, change clothes and lay down for awhile. She left at ll:00ish.

At 7:00 the next morning she was in the elevator on her way up to my room when the floor nurse called her to tell her I had coded, and had been taken up to the super duper ICU where they chilled my body temp down to like 92F. I had died, with congestive heart failure where I drowned in my body fluids collecting in my trache......the staff did not suction me out after Melissa had left.

Now again, bare in mind, I recall none of this. I went to sleep May 25, and did not wake up until July 30.

Melissa was told I was non-responsive. End of story.

But she would not let them unplug me. And she stayed with me 24/7. The monsignor from St Joes was send to speak with her about what to do with me. She was told I would not wake up, and that if I did, I would be brain dead with nothing working between the ears.

When I finally did open my eyes, Melissa was standing over me, waving her finger back and forth, asking me to follow her finger. When my eyes fluttered, and followed her finger, she shrieked and ran into the hall calling for help.

Within 15-20 minutes we had a mini medical convention in my room. The doctors and nurses all kept telling her this was impossible, and that according to the laws of medical science I could not be alive, let alone awake and cognizant.

I had laid in bed for 70+ days comotose. My muscles had atrophied terribly. I had a trach tube in and could not speak. There were several other disasters, like my stomach feeding tube ending up in my lungs, or when moved to a new room my oxygen mask not being connected to the oxygen outlet valve, or it turned on, etc.

But I survived in spite of all of this.

My hospital bill was $899,000. And Again, Humana has been great.

Oh, and my premium did go up this year that I have to pay from $100 to $150.

Wellstar.....not so great. They have stone walled us for 9 months on providing me with my medical records. We have filled out about 20 HIPPA forms, for us, another 3 or 4 for Emory Neurology who is treating me for the side effects I suffer from the congestive heart failure and strokes when Wellstar let me drown. And even a law firm in Atlanta who attempted to get my records for us to see if they would take our case.....gave up and said good luck getting anythine from Wellstar without a court order. The Emory neurologists keep telling us it would make their job a lot easier to fix me if they knew exactly what happend when Wellstar broke me. But to no avail.

Every one of the doctors I saw after the hospital for follow up told me the same thing.....I would not be here had my lovely wife not hung in there and fought with Wellstar to keep me alive. And, across the board they have all told me God must have another purpose for me in this world because that is the ONLY reason I am alive. Medical science killed me, I am here because some stonger dietety kept me alive.

Bottom line for me, is without the ACA/Obama care, I would have stroked out spring of 2014. After paying non stop for healthcare for me, and my employees for all my career.

The Humana policy I have is great, and they have lost their ass on my butt. Personnally I feel Wellstar grossley overcharged them for the services provided, and I don't know if I could ever enter a Wellstar hospital again. Summer of 2014 they did great. Summer of 2015 they killed me and have done all they can to cover up their faults and deny me and Humana my records.

I spoke with Humana corporate yesterday about doing a forensic audit on my Wellstar charges, and would they work with us to go after Wellstar for what they did to me. We will have to see how that works out.

But I am finally improving. The shakes and tremens and jerks and mini-siezures I was having seem to be getting under control with the meds I have been on the last 7-8 weeks.

I say again, the EEC health insurance and medical care system is so superior to ours I just don't understand the reluctance to follow suit for what obviously works better for 25% less.

So who else has had some nightmare Wellstar experiences ?

I do not use paulding wellstar. mainly because i just do not trust them, i had one bad experience with them years ago, and that was all it took. a new fancy building does not mean the care you get in that new fancy building is as good as the building looks. . so i do not have any experiences to share with you... but wow your story is just wow surepip... some of the things you posted i was not aware of, although i followed your health recovery on here.... but you went in to more detail then i knew about...

I am so thankful you are ok, i know it has been long hard road for you and your wife.... but once again you proved you are tougher then you look.... and I am just glad you are back to posting on here.... and trying to make the best out of life that has been dealt to you for the past few years.....

Thanks!!! I am finally making progress both with the meds I am on now, and with the physical therapy although he works me hard. The burn and discomfort are tolerable and lets me know I am building back muscle strength in my legs.

So does anyone know how to get records out of Wellstar?

• Like 2

Thanks!!! I am finally making progress both with the meds I am on now, and with the physical therapy although he works me hard. The burn and discomfort are tolerable and lets me know I am building back muscle strength in my legs.

At the risk of repeating what you already know, try this and then pick the facility.

http://www.wellstar.org/patient-visitor-information/pages/request-medical-records.aspx

Good luck! Be prepared to pay for the records, too. I obtained records from a Georgia medical provider. If I remember correctly it was 75 or 80 cents PER PAGE.

My stepfather had experienced what could have been fatal for him. My mother took him to the emergency department in Paulding-Wellstar. They did not find anything wrong with him, they had decided to do an unnecessary, painful medical procedure on him that left him partly paralysed and in extreme pain. They thought he was dying that evening, they had him rushed to another hospital. He had to stay in the hospital (not in Paulding) and was was later transferred to a rehabilitation hospital where he stayed for about twenty days.

He is still in pain and unable to walk without assistance or his walking frame.

Wife got shingles 3 weeks ago. Over the last week she has developed a LARGE hard area under the skin just below the area the shingles were. The area is very painful to her. She went to 2 "Doc in the Boxes" and they had no idea what it was or what to do about it. The 2nd "Doc in the Box" suggested she go to Paulding Wellstar and she did yesterday right after they suggested it. Paulding Wellstar told her this: "We don't know what it is, maybe it was caused by the shingles." they did some blood tests and said cell counts are normal, did an x-ray and said looks normal. Gave her a mild pain killer, took her money and basically said good luck!

Both my son and husband were in the hosp a few weeks apart back in April. They are very healthy first time ever either one of them had been in a hops. My husband was at Piedmont Fayetteville and my son was at Wellstar Kennestone. I def preferred Kennestone over Piedmont. I won't get into details but just seemed like the nurses and staff were more on the ball. Some PA came in and told my husband in front of me false info, freaked me what she said and then it wasn't even the right dignosis. WOW!

Story about Wellstar Paulding. I took my daughter there years ago when she broke her wrist. Nurse told me she would need surgery. She didn't and then they set her wrist wrong. When I took her to the Orthopedic DR they had to reset it. @@ She was only 7, still makes me angry thinking about it.

If I was out in Paulding. I would at the very least drive over to Cobb Hosp and avoid Paulding. Kennestone would be better. I did deliver my daughter at Cobb and didn't have any issues.

My son is having an operation on July 4th, thank God it isn't at Paulding. So glad you are doing better. And thank goodness you had health insurance and didn't have to worry about the bills.

My husband got some of his records from a hosp in MD with no problems. Seems the easiest way is to have a DR's office request them. You just sign a release form. His was just for a sleep study though. When they mess up they probably won't be so easy to get.

Wife got shingles 3 weeks ago. Over the last week she has developed a LARGE hard area under the skin just below the area the shingles were. The area is very painful to her. She went to 2 "Doc in the Boxes" and they had no idea what it was or what to do about it. The 2nd "Doc in the Box" suggested she go to Paulding Wellstar and she did yesterday right after they suggested it. Paulding Wellstar told her this: "We don't know what it is, maybe it was caused by the shingles." they did some blood tests and said cell counts are normal, did an x-ray and said looks normal. Gave her a mild pain killer, took her money and basically said good luck!

My husbands co-worker got shingles. They put him on the Herpes Drug. His was caught very early. Hope your wife is doing better.

My mother was a nurse at Wellstar Cobb General Hospital for many years, She'd tell of stories of folks coming into the ER with gunshots, car wrecks, one guy got stomped on by a bull at the rodeo. The emergency room does get a bit crazy at times. Bringing a kid to the ER with a runny nose isn't an emergency, but some days the place is filled up with minor stuff like that which really jams up the wait times for real life threatening emergencies.

A while back we were at a high school football game and she ran into an old patient she had helped on the road to recovery. He was very grateful to my mom and all the folks who helped him and encouraged him, even when he was at the point of death, All in all, each patient had their own story of my mom's compassion and kindness. When a nurse shows compassion there is humanity, and with humanity there is generosity and love. My mother the now retired RN gives us these attributes in full measure.

Remember to be good to your nurse and they'll be good to you.

• Like 2

In the 30 plus years I was an adult and living in Cobb County, I was only in the hospital twice. Once for childbirth and once for surgery. Both at Cobb. Excellent care except the dietary department never got my food right when I had my hysterectomy and I left the hospital never having had a solid meal (just liquid). Otherwise, everything was great there.

I had a couple of mammograms at Cobb and was not happy with the wait time so I switched to Paulding. No wait time. In fact, one time my boss' wife and I had our mammograms scheduled at the same time at different hospitals--she at Kennestone and me at Paulding. I signed in, had mine and was back at work before she was ever called back to have hers. Anyway, I was more than happy with the imaging department at Paulding and preferred them over anyone else.

Reading Surepip's ordeal makes me doubly happy I didn't have to rely on Cobb or Paulding last year when I had my pulmonary embolism.

We have a hospital here locally that few of the locals will go to unless they have to. If you have a cut finger, they might be able to sew it up but beyond that, they are going to call for an air ambulance and fly you to a real hospital. Fortunately, when I had my PE my husband took me to that real hospital to start with. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't be here to write this. It was touch and go anyway. If diagnosis or treatment had been delayed because some yahoo doctor didn't know what was wrong, I'd be history. I likely would have died waiting for transfer.

It's a shame that health care is so lousy everywhere.

First I don't understand why she didn't go to her primary care doctor.

You don't fool around with shingles.

I got my vaccine at age 62. So far so good. I don't want them. They're painful and can lead to secondary infections.

Her doctor would have given her Acyclovir for the virus and Nurotintin for the residual nerve pain.

If you get some L-Lysine and have her take at least 1000mg a day or more, it will help. Look it up. It's an amino acid.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Back in late 1999 I got a painful rash and my doctor said it was shingles. I took the meds but instead of getting better the. Rash became worst and I started getting it in different areas of my body. Pay attention if the rash is in the areas that would be pressure points. After 2 1/2 years of hives that became hard red and itching, and then blistering I found Dr. Robert Swerlick. He is the main doctor at Emory Dermotology. He was a blessing for me. I have what is called delayed pressure urticaria. I take meds daily for this. I still get hives from time to time especially if I have stress but nothing as bad and painful as I had before. If anyone knows what is wrong with her Dr. Swerlick will. 404-778-3333. If she has this it is very rare and I still have doctors say to me, "you have what." It is autoimmune.

After my medical debaucles, and dying 3 times in a Wellstar hospital the past 2 years, I thought maybe I should speak out.

I closed my business in 2007, and Melissa had gone to work for the state. We had our insurance via her job. She put up with her AH boss for years, and his holding her back from transfers within the Ag Department and she finally just quite in 2012. And her boss was able to get her Cobra coverage all screwed up so that come 2 months later we found out we had NO insurance. When we tried to get back on with United Health, BCBS, etc., they "pre-existed" my Osteo Arthritis and Cardio.

Note, we had full insurance coverage since forever, and provided company paid insurance for our workers after year tenure.

So what was the point in having insurance at all ? if I had no coverage for my primary 2 issues.

By 2013 I could no longer ride my bike, My right hip was shot, bone on bone, and the left one was starting to get bad as well.

January 2014 I signed on with the ACA marketplace, and got Humana coverage. An excellent policy with a $2000 out of pocket and $2500 deductible. The premium was $600+ a month, but I qualified for $500 in subsidies. I was covered on Feb 1, 2014.

On Feb 2 I was in my cardiologist office as I knew he had to sign off on me getting the hip surgery as I am always in Asymptomatic A-Fib. He put me right in the hospital that day as my BP was 188/160.

We got my BP stabilized, and some pain meds for my hips and knees.

In May the cardiologist signed off, and I saw an Emory Orthopaedic a week later. They had me in Emory 2 weeks later to replace the right hip on monday June 23rd. Came home Thursday night, and was rushed to Paulding Wellstar the next day, with an Ilius.....all my organs shut down, and I had emergency surgery that night. Then 3 weeks in ICU after dying on the table twice. I was finally home the end of July.

Humana paid basically everything. And no doctor ever said a word about any extra paperwork....they had no way to know it was via the ACA and the Marketplace. To them it was a Humana Silver policy.

Came home, and started working on rehabing the hip as I lost a month in the hospital. I also had only planned to be out of touch working, as an independent consultant for 7-10 days, .....not a month. And I was on Oxycodine and told by the surgeon to take the damn pills, sleep, and rest if I wanted to get better.

Since I had lost several major jobs I was working on while down and out, we also ended up losing our house in October.

Had the left hip replaced December 2014, and was still recovering from that last May when I hired some helpers to assist me with cleaning out the garage to use as a workshop. I breathed in some moldy fiberglass insulation dust and developed a horrific cough. Several days later Melissa took me to Paulding ER on May 25th. I had a 48% oxygen level.

I don't remember anything after the nurses pulling my wedding band off my finger. I eventually came to in an ambulance moving me from Kennestone to Windy Hill on July 30.

But it seems, everything that could go wrong after that at the hospital......did, or worse. Wellstar seemed to miss the whole point that it was my chest that was hurting, and did a catscan of my belly. It was 4 days before a doctor finally listened to my wife that it was my chest, and she showed him my left side which was then purple black from my back around my left side to my front.

They took me down and did a cat scan of my chest, but no one bothered to read it until my wife was bugging them the next day. When they did read it, they rushed me up to ICU. I had a torn diaphragm and 16 broken ribs.

But now I was too critical to operate on, so they took me in an ambulance to Kennestone.

Surgery eventually went great, and then I got an infection because the nurses refused to wash and clean me. I had ICU Delerium where I fought them on everything [i don't remember any of this] and would pull out my IVs, try to get out of bed and escape, etc. And then Pneumonia/

Long story short, as this goes on for almost 2 months, Wellstar ended up killing me July 4th night. I had a tracheotomy tube in, and pneumonia, and was making fluid which was collecting in my trache. Melissa had not been away from my side for a week, and told the nurses, repiratory therapist, and anyone else on the floor that she was going home to shower, change clothes and lay down for awhile. She left at ll:00ish.

At 7:00 the next morning she was in the elevator on her way up to my room when the floor nurse called her to tell her I had coded, and had been taken up to the super duper ICU where they chilled my body temp down to like 92F. I had died, with congestive heart failure where I drowned in my body fluids collecting in my trache......the staff did not suction me out after Melissa had left.

Now again, bare in mind, I recall none of this. I went to sleep May 25, and did not wake up until July 30.

Melissa was told I was non-responsive. End of story.

But she would not let them unplug me. And she stayed with me 24/7. The monsignor from St Joes was send to speak with her about what to do with me. She was told I would not wake up, and that if I did, I would be brain dead with nothing working between the ears.

When I finally did open my eyes, Melissa was standing over me, waving her finger back and forth, asking me to follow her finger. When my eyes fluttered, and followed her finger, she shrieked and ran into the hall calling for help.

Within 15-20 minutes we had a mini medical convention in my room. The doctors and nurses all kept telling her this was impossible, and that according to the laws of medical science I could not be alive, let alone awake and cognizant.

I had laid in bed for 70+ days comotose. My muscles had atrophied terribly. I had a trach tube in and could not speak. There were several other disasters, like my stomach feeding tube ending up in my lungs, or when moved to a new room my oxygen mask not being connected to the oxygen outlet valve, or it turned on, etc.

But I survived in spite of all of this.

My hospital bill was $899,000. And Again, Humana has been great.

Oh, and my premium did go up this year that I have to pay from $100 to $150.

Wellstar.....not so great. They have stone walled us for 9 months on providing me with my medical records. We have filled out about 20 HIPPA forms, for us, another 3 or 4 for Emory Neurology who is treating me for the side effects I suffer from the congestive heart failure and strokes when Wellstar let me drown. And even a law firm in Atlanta who attempted to get my records for us to see if they would take our case.....gave up and said good luck getting anythine from Wellstar without a court order. The Emory neurologists keep telling us it would make their job a lot easier to fix me if they knew exactly what happend when Wellstar broke me. But to no avail.

Every one of the doctors I saw after the hospital for follow up told me the same thing.....I would not be here had my lovely wife not hung in there and fought with Wellstar to keep me alive. And, across the board they have all told me God must have another purpose for me in this world because that is the ONLY reason I am alive. Medical science killed me, I am here because some stonger dietety kept me alive.

Bottom line for me, is without the ACA/Obama care, I would have stroked out spring of 2014. After paying non stop for healthcare for me, and my employees for all my career.

The Humana policy I have is great, and they have lost their ass on my butt. Personnally I feel Wellstar grossley overcharged them for the services provided, and I don't know if I could ever enter a Wellstar hospital again. Summer of 2014 they did great. Summer of 2015 they killed me and have done all they can to cover up their faults and deny me and Humana my records.

I spoke with Humana corporate yesterday about doing a forensic audit on my Wellstar charges, and would they work with us to go after Wellstar for what they did to me. We will have to see how that works out.

But I am finally improving. The shakes and tremens and jerks and mini-siezures I was having seem to be getting under control with the meds I have been on the last 7-8 weeks.

I say again, the EEC health insurance and medical care system is so superior to ours I just don't understand the reluctance to follow suit for what obviously works better for 25% less.

So who else has had some nightmare Wellstar experiences ?

while not as bad as your visit...awhile back I went to Paulding ER and was found to have a large blood clot in both lungs...the care left a lot to be desired but what bugged me most was the Dr taking care of me said before I could be released he had to know if I needed to go home with O2 or not so respatiory was to walk with me through the halls to check my o2 levels for 15 minuets .They came to my room had me walk from the bed to the bathroom and said I was fine! Thankfully I recovered but what if I had of needed the oxygen?

Across the board, every doctor we were involved with said over and over, If Melissa had not stayed on the staff, to the point of annoyance and even harrassing them, .....that I would not be here.

Simple but stupid screw ups.

Kennestone sends me to Windy Hill for R&R recovery, and 24 hours later Melissa learns that no orders came along with me, so they had been giving me no meds, pain pills, etc., or doing anything else in the way of therapy.

Melissa kept telling the nurses something was not right with my feeding tube. When the male nurse gave me my meds that night, and pushed the plunger, he and Melissa looked at each other saying "No Way!". They could see and hear the bubbles coming out of my tracheotomy tube in my throat. The guy called for help and immedietly started pulling out the tube.

A real confidence builder.

Numerous test were run at various times, yet no one read the results or acted upon them sometimes for 24 to 48 hours. Then when they DID read them, they would rush me off to ICU again, even though it was OK to take 2 days to interpret the test data and results.

But here we are 9 months later, still unable to get my hospital records, and that includes us asking for them personally; Emory Neurology asking for them; and an Atlanta law firm asking for them. The law firm was interested in taking our case, but with Wellstar stonewalling us so bad on the records they gave up and suggested we try to find another lawfirm more attuned to neglect cases, in stead of malpractice.

while not as bad as your visit...awhile back I went to Paulding ER and was found to have a large blood clot in both lungs...the care left a lot to be desired but what bugged me most was the Dr taking care of me said before I could be released he had to know if I needed to go home with O2 or not so respatiory was to walk with me through the halls to check my o2 levels for 15 minuets .They came to my room had me walk from the bed to the bathroom and said I was fine! Thankfully I recovered but what if I had of needed the oxygen?

I only had to walk for a couple of minutes, maybe 3. Just enough to see that my oxygen levels were going to be OK on room air. I think I walked out of my room, down past the next room and back to my room. Apparently it doesn't take long to check those levels.

And no, I was not at a Wellstar hospital.

MRSA acquired at Kennestone hospital ICU more than 10 years ago eventually killed my mother last year after slowly destroying her health ...even though the hospital would not take responsibility, the doctor who did the surgery at the time was good enough to waive his fee. Small consolation but better than being told tough $#!+, I suppose.

MRSA acquired at Kennestone hospital ICU more than 10 years ago eventually killed my mother last year after slowly destroying her health ...even though the hospital would not take responsibility, the doctor who did the surgery at the time was good enough to waive his fee. Small consolation but better than being told tough $#!+, I suppose.

So for me, after killing me, through neglect and poor care, and charging Humana $900,000 for my care, they come back and dune me for another $120,000 that Humana says we do not owe and not to pay [HaHaHa, like I could]. I used to be a Wellstar fan, but not any longer,

They killed me, and then charged Humana exhorbitant amounts for my care after that which was not up to par.

Shame on you Mark haney, and all the Wellstar administration.,

I will post later how I facilitated Wellstar purchasing the additional 40+ acres of land they bought next to their 33 acre corner lot that allowed them to build the size "Campus" they build. I did not get a penny, but some of the BOC Good Old Boy real estate agents, et al, got some commissions in the 6 figure range.

What did I get, ? killed by the hospital and left to die. And then 9 months of stone walling me on providing my records.

Shame on you Deathstar, shame on you.

I was able to really fool them, when I managed to live through their ordeals they put me through.

• Like 1

Does anyone know anything thing about Tannner? Good or bad?

I only go to Tanner. They took me to Tanner when I came off my horse after a spook and got tangled up in his legs and feet. Never mind I hit my head so hard one of my eyelids split.

As they say........good times! :)

They take good care of me but at the same time, I don't care where you go, have someone with you! I know several folks whose life was saved just because someone spoke up.

Back in late 1999 I got a painful rash and my doctor said it was shingles. I took the meds but instead of getting better the. Rash became worst and I started getting it in different areas of my body. Pay attention if the rash is in the areas that would be pressure points. After 2 1/2 years of hives that became hard red and itching, and then blistering I found Dr. Robert Swerlick. He is the main doctor at Emory Dermotology. He was a blessing for me. I have what is called delayed pressure urticaria. I take meds daily for this. I still get hives from time to time especially if I have stress but nothing as bad and painful as I had before. If anyone knows what is wrong with her Dr. Swerlick will. 404-778-3333. If she has this it is very rare and I still have doctors say to me, "you have what." It is autoimmune.

Wellstar Docs had me in a cancer clinic for a couple of months. Went once a week and saw 4 specialists. Said surgery was too risky to find out if that was what was really wrong. Got an order from one of my Docs to get a second opinion from a great Doc at Emory. He operated and found that it wasn't cancer but it sure cost while they waited at Wellstar to see if it was going to show up somewhere else. Bad times.

While our experiences have not been life-threatening, my husband has had three back surgeries and two shoulder surgeries. We were at Wellstar Cobb for shoulder surgeries and Piedmont for back surgeries. The difference in these two hospitals is astounding. We received optimal care at Piedmont...not so much at Wellstar. I also had my father in Wellstar Cobb many times. I had to take time off and stay (spend the night with him) or the quality of care went way down. You must have someone there to advocate for you or the level of care drops significantly...especially with the elderly.

I am in the process of switching all of our doctors to the Piedmont system, however, we have UHC and they are attempting to reach an agreement with Piedmont. The deadline for the agreement is July 1st. I'm praying they work things out because Piedmont is top notch compared to the Wellstar System.

Edited by icare
  • Like 2

There's a difference in Kennestone and Cobb General. I've never liked or used Cobb General.

I had my hip surgeries at Kennestone.

I agree about Piedmont. Great hospital. I found the best oncologist at Piedmont when my husband had kidney cancer. He had his back surgeries at Emory. It was top notch 25 years ago.

I would never use Paulding Wellstar hospital except for an emergency.

• Like 2

So basically what you are saying is without the police power of government forcing me to pay for your healthcare you would have died. Im sure youre a cool dude and all, but Ill be honest, your life aint worth my freedom. nobodies is, and mine isnt worth theirs.

• Like 1

I only had to walk for a couple of minutes, maybe 3. Just enough to see that my oxygen levels were going to be OK on room air. I think I walked out of my room, down past the next room and back to my room. Apparently it doesn't take long to check those levels.

And no, I was not at a Wellstar hospital.

maybe not but its the idea they didn't follow Dr's orders

So basically what you are saying is without the police power of government forcing me to pay for your healthcare you would have died. Im sure youre a cool dude and all, but Ill be honest, your life aint worth my freedom. nobodies is, and mine isnt worth theirs.

Here in lies the problem with today's society? A lack of compassion and empathy? When the day comes that your life is on the line, I'd love to know if you walk the talk.

I followed Surepip's recovery here on PCom. I don't know him and I've never met him but I'm glad he is still here. The world is a better place because of it.

Edited by Domestic Violence by Proxy
  • Like 4

So for me, after killing me, through neglect and poor care, and charging Humana $900,000 for my care, they come back and dune me for another $120,000 that Humana says we do not owe and not to pay [HaHaHa, like I could]. I used to be a Wellstar fan, but not any longer,

They killed me, and then charged Humana exhorbitant amounts for my care after that which was not up to par.

Shame on you Mark haney, and all the Wellstar administration.,

I will post later how I facilitated Wellstar purchasing the additional 40+ acres of land they bought next to their 33 acre corner lot that allowed them to build the size "Campus" they build. I did not get a penny, but some of the BOC Good Old Boy real estate agents, et al, got some commissions in the 6 figure range.

What did I get, ? killed by the hospital and left to die. And then 9 months of stone walling me on providing my records.

Shame on you Deathstar, shame on you.

I was able to really fool them, when I managed to live through their ordeals they put me through.

I've been to Douglas County and Paulding County Wellstars. My daughter received awful care at Paulding Wellstar during her pregnancy and Douglas County billed me $360+ and I had left because I never made it to triage after waiting 3 hours. They sent me that bill after telling me I didn't owe anything. They thought I didn't have insurance because I didn't have my card at the time. I sent the bill to my BCBSGA and never heard a word about the bill again.

Edited by Domestic Violence by Proxy

This is another point regarding Wellstar and I would imagine it's the same with other healthcare systems....my ENT ordered a CT scan of my head. It was set with Wellstar Imaging and would have cost me between $2000-$3000. I have heard Clark Howard say many times to shop around for the best prices in healthcare. I asked the Dr. if I had to use Wellstar and he said no. I began to call around and found a wonderful independent facility, American Health Imaging and paid $200 out of pocket! I am on to them and they will not steal my money any longer! It breaks my heart because I know that there are so many people that are being ripped off every day and will just pay because they don't know there are other options....especially the elderly.

Edited by icare
  • Like 4

:spiteful:

This is another point regarding Wellstar and I would imagine it's the same with other healthcare systems....my ENT ordered a CT scan of my head. It was set with Wellstar Imaging and would have cost me between $2000-$3000. I have heard Clark Howard say many time to shop around for the best prices in healthcare. I asked the Dr. if I had to use Wellstar and he said no. I began to call around and found a wonderful independent facility, American Health Imaging and paid $200 out of pocket! I am on to them and they will not steal my money any longer! It breaks my heart because I know that there are so many people that are being ripped off every day and will just pay because they don't know there are other options....especially the elderly.

I had to have a CT at the imaging center. When the lady called to get info from me she gave me the choice of paying $300 out of pocket or filing on my insurance. I didn't know they offered that. But since I knew I was going to have to have another CT and my deductible was $300 I opted to file on insurance.

I'm amazed at the people that do what the doctor says and take all the pills he gives you without doing any research.

You don't read well do you.......sorry.

I could not get insurance that would cover my Atrial Firbrilation or Osteo Arthritis. By January 2014 I was totally disabled because of the hips.I went up and down step sitting down.

The ACA forced the health insurance companies to drop their pre-existing rules. And yes, because I was [am still am] disabled, I was able to qualify for subsidies.

Thanks A.H., and back at 'ya.

• Like 3

I had to have a CT at the imaging center. When the lady called to get info from me she gave me the choice of paying $300 out of pocket or filing on my insurance. I didn't know they offered that. But since I knew I was going to have to have another CT and my deductible was $300 I opted to file on insurance.

I'm amazed at the people that do what the doctor says and take all the pills he gives you without doing any research.

Several years ago I had a mammogram at Paulding Imaging. I paid out of pocket. It was cheaper for me to pay for it myself than to pay my co-pay. I'd had one the previous year, which insurance covered, and I ended up paying almost twice of what I did when I paid out of pocket. That's totally insane!

Same thing happened when I went to have Synvisc injections in my knee. It cost me a couple of hundred dollars less to pay for it myself than to use my insurance. I was so grateful that I thought to ask the doctor's office about paying out of pocket.

• Like 1

I had several people suggest that and the price was only slightly lower than the cost with insurance. I'm not sure what the deal was but I will use American Health Imaging for now.

Does anyone know anything thing about Tannner? Good or bad?

Tanner in villa rica is who I use, that is who my mom and dad used also.... Carrolton Tanner has a wonderful cancer staff.. that is where is were my daddy went fo his treatments.

my aunt had to go to the ER yesterday morning, she called me wanting me to meet her there, she was at work, and was next to to paulding ER so that is were she went, once i got to paulding ER, I ask to see insert name.. I was told to go stand by the doors and someone would be around shortly to let me back. it was one of those card swipe deals. while i was standing there, I witnessed, the lady just sitting at the desk eating, when she could have gotten up and walked over and swiped her employee card for me to get through the doors. I stood there for 8 minutes, which may not seem like a long time, but to me at the time it was an eternity.

I had to go move my car later on, and I had to go back through those doors to get back in, and the same thing happened again.. this time while I was standing there waiting I noticed one of the nurses call an elderly lady to the counter, and she sit down on a stool next to the counter, were the nurses took her vitals, and ask her all kind of personal questions for the whole ER to hear. to me they should have a room set up for privacy to do that. instead of asking personal information for everyone to hear. I stood there at the door long enough to hear the ladies SS # address, what was wrong with her, her blood pressure readings, and her insurance information. I guess the Hippa law does not apply for the ER.

Then someone happen to walk by the doors and let me in. once we got to the CDU it was a totally different situation.. the staff was very nice and friendly... we were in the ER from 7:15 to to 12:30...

so like I stated earlier I do not use paulding, and I will never use paulding espeacially for the ER... I use Tanner in villa rica..

it is a shame to have such a nice hosiptal (building wise) but not the staff that goes with the it.

• Like 1

First I don't understand why she didn't go to her primary care doctor.

You don't fool around with shingles.

I got my vaccine at age 62. So far so good. I don't want them. They're painful and can lead to secondary infections.

Her doctor would have given her Acyclovir for the virus and Nurotintin for the residual nerve pain.

If you get some L-Lysine and have her take at least 1000mg a day or more, it will help. Look it up. It's an amino acid.

Good luck.

She went to her primary care doctor and because they had not seen her in just over a year they said she is a new patient. They told her they had an opening at 1300 hours but they don't see " New Patients on that day". We are shopping for a new primary care doctor..................

Thank you. We will contact him.

Edited by 2013HOG

I will state up front that my best clients are hospitals so I may be biased in some areas. There are good hospitals and bad hospitals, good doctors and bad doctors, good nurses and bad nurses at every facility I work at. It is sometimes unfortunately the luck of the draw as to which one of these you deal with. Make no mistake and have no delusions of Marcus Welby, hospitals are a business, big business and their decisions are driven by a business plan. I don't like it, it doesn't make it right but it is absolutely a fact. Combine bean counters, government regulations and insurance companies and it is the recipe for a perfect storm of failures. There is no business under more government regulation than health care facilities.

Individually I know stories of great success at Paulding, Douglas, Cobb, Piedmont, Emory, Cartersville, Kennestone, Northside, St.Joseph, Grady, Tanner, Floyd, AMC, Powers Ferry and Redmond. I also know of tragic horror stories at each of these. I know people who were saved at each one and I know people who died as a result of each one. Yes there are some hospitals that are generally better than others and I would consider this in an elective surgery. However in emergency cases time and location are factors. I would not have a flu shot at Grady but if I am shot send me there first.

• Like 1

There's a difference in Kennestone and Cobb General. I've never liked or used Cobb General.

I had my hip surgeries at Kennestone.

I agree about Piedmont. Great hospital. I found the best oncologist at Piedmont when my husband had kidney cancer. He had his back surgeries at Emory. It was top notch 25 years ago.

I would never use Paulding Wellstar hospital except for an emergency.

I agree with you regarding Cobb vs Kennestone. I was told when I first moved to GA that you only go to Cobb General if you want to die. I have used Kennestone over and over again and I like it there. I have used Paulding Wellstar once for an emergency and had no problems.

• Like 1