Paulding.com

Memorial Day crosses removed after complaints paulding co.

well looks like paulding will be on the news again.. The mayor of Hiram and some citizens thought they would recognize the 79 Paulding County residents who have died in U.S. conflicts by putting up a large display with crosses representing each fallen soldier.

The city manager’s response to the controversy on Channel 2 Action News at 5:48.

They were put up at a major intersection on Highway 92 at a former bank building owned by the city now used as a meeting/event venue.

Someone complained, which caused the city to order the display be taken down.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/paulding-county/memorial-day-crosses-removed-after-complaints/299806682

well looks like paulding will be on the news again.. The mayor of Hiram and some citizens thought they would recognize the 79 Paulding County residents who have died in U.S. conflicts by putting up a large display with crosses representing each fallen soldier.

The city manager’s response to the controversy on Channel 2 Action News at 5:48.

They were put up at a major intersection on Highway 92 at a former bank building owned by the city now used as a meeting/event venue.

Someone complained, which caused the city to order the display be taken down.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/paulding-county/memorial-day-crosses-removed-after-complaints/299806682

wow seems like anything will cause someone to complain..but this takes the cake...when you can't honor fallen heroes now that's a little much
  • Like 4

I happen to have some spare time, nails and lumber. Anyone that would like to join me in placing 79 crosses at a local city venue let me know. I will not let fallen hero's local or otherwise be disgraced. If the city has a problem I will place a discreet campaign message on each cross. Now who is with me?

If they remove them I will continue to place them until I am detained.

• Like 7

I am guessing the place is the event across from Bill Hill strickland park in hiram. I was reading some comments and the complaint is that crosses represent christanity, and not all soliders were christians.. that is the complaint.

I do think the city of hiram should take a stand on this issue. it is not costing the ones who complained anything, if they are that much against it, they could even take a different route for the time this was supose to happen.

but like i said, this should not even be an issue. and paulding should not be on the news for something so petty.

Well this is the most ridiculous thing I've heard since they let transgenders go in the bathroom in the same bathroom I go into (I only have a problem with what is going to happen, predators going there). What happened to honoring our guys that died for our freedom? Hell I don't like the traffic on 92...is Hiram going to remove that Just for little ole me??? Yep don't think so.

If not all were christaon, I know what a Star of David looks like, I have router which canare a crescent moon and star, and if nothing than I shall hang a thank you note on a single stake.

• Like 1

Crosses are a universal symbol of RIP, marking a grave.

If someone wants to interpret this as a Christian only symbol, and wants to bring suit or some other means of redress then let them. The Judge will throw it out.

This is perfectly acceptable as a means of tribute to those fallen soldiers who gave their lives defending their country.

• Like 7

The city of Hiram is who agreed to remove the crosses... the news just reported they are looking for private property to put the crosses on...

I could guess....

Well, then guess out loud!! I think they need to be publicly humiliated for something so stupid. Guess they don't go to any family funerals or cemeteries either since they are full of crosses?? Just plain stupid for the City of Hiram to let one person control something that the general public would appreciate.

• Like 6

Well, then guess out loud!! I think they need to be publicly humiliated for something so stupid. Guess they don't go to any family funerals or cemeteries either since they are full of crosses?? Just plain stupid for the City of Hiram to let one person control something that the general public would appreciate.

Nah, it's just a guess with no facts to back it up. So I'll keep it to myself for now.

read this on fb , tomorrow night there is a meeting 6pm at the Hiram City Hall. If you want a voice in whether the crosses stay or go

• Like 1

Saw this message on Face Book from Kathryn Bookout: For everyone's information tomorrow night at 6:00 in the training room at City hall the council will be taking a vote as to whether to put the crosses back up. They were taken down before we were told.

I guess you have to live in the city of Hiram to have a voice?

thats a good question.. since the crosses are in public view at a public place... might need to find that one out lol

I am guessing the place is the event across from Bill Hill strickland park in hiram. I was reading some comments and the complaint is that crosses represent christanity, and not all soliders were christians.. that is the complaint.

I do think the city of hiram should take a stand on this issue. it is not costing the ones who complained anything, if they are that much against it, they could even take a different route for the time this was supose to happen.

but like i said, this should not even be an issue. and paulding should not be on the news for something so petty.

wonder they don't complain about Arlington.....my pet cat has a cross he wasn't a Christian
  • Like 2

i would hate to make everyone in Hiram pay for Barry Atkinson decision,but from now on I will not shop in Hiram...it offends me

I never shopped in hiram, i always go to villarica, but I will make a speacil point to not even buy gas in hiram any more. people want bussiness to come to paulding, want paulding to shop in paulding, and then something like this comes up, and they do not have the back bone to make a stand. pfftt.... hiram no longer exist to me . this should not even be an issue..

• Like 2

I hate this controversy because it's really taking away from what the holiday is all about. Now people on both sides are making it about the cross and not the fallen. Put up 79 flags in every field available. Nobody can or should complain about that.

• Like 2

I'd be willing to bet that, the one who complained wasn't even related to any of the Fallen Heroes!!!! It just bothers me that someone (city/county) would let one or two people dictate what is done, in this community. IF, you don't like it, don't go down that road!!!

• Like 2

I hate this controversy because it's really taking away from what the holiday is all about. Now people on both sides are making it about the cross and not the fallen. Put up 79 flags in every field available. Nobody can or should complain about that.

:good:

• Like 1

No one should have complained anyway.

The article I linked above supports what Surepip stated; that the Battlefield cross is not necessarily religious.

Interesting read!

• Like 3

Just so you know, it was NOT the City Manager that ordered the crosses removed. He was only following bad legal advice. The City Council handled it last night and they will go right back where they were removed from, this morning.

Hiram is a wonderful place, the people are incredible. I think it's time to make some more changes though. The new City Manager is a great guy, none of this was his decision.

Don't abandon them when they need our support the most. Sometimes you just have to get all the facts, from the governing body, not on social media.

I will be doing as much shopping as I can in the City of Hiram, especially at the mom and pop's.

• Like 3

Just so you know, it was NOT the City Manager that ordered the crosses removed. He was only following bad legal advice. The City Council handled it last night and they will go right back where they were removed from, this morning.

Hiram is a wonderful place, the people are incredible. I think it's time to make some more changes though. The new City Manager is a great guy, none of this was his decision.

Don't abandon them when they need our support the most. Sometimes you just have to get all the facts, from the governing body, not on social media.

I will be doing as much shopping as I can in the City of Hiram, especially at the mom and pop's.

like i have said this should not have been an issue.. and I really do not care whose fault or who okayed the descision for the crosses to be taken down.. the fact is who ever took the crosses down did not have the guts to take a stand, and once again Paulding was on the news for a negative issue. sometimes leaders need to take a stand, just as citzens sometimes have to take a stand.. and No i will not be shopping in hiram. those 79 soilders would have appericated not being abandoned by removing the crosses. although the crosses are back now.. they should not have been taken down to start with.

• Like 7

like i have said this should not have been an issue.. and I really do not care whose fault or who okayed the descision for the crosses to be taken down.. the fact is who ever took the crosses down did not have the guts to take a stand, and once again Paulding was on the news for a negative issue. sometimes leaders need to take a stand, just as citzens sometimes have to take a stand.. and No i will not be shopping in hiram. those 79 soilders would have appericated not being abandoned by removing the crosses. although the crosses are back now.. they should not have been taken down to start with.

Amen!

Sometimes it seems you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. 'surepip' just remind us the nearly 2 million dollars the Dallas Mafia squandered in legal fees in an effort to deny him his day in court. Right now it's hard to figure out where most of our tax dollars are going; to improve the lives of the people of this county or the lives of all the lawyers presently on our county commissioners payroll.

So the city of Hiram got some bad legal advice and decided to take it. Good for them in a county that's already up to its eyeballs in litigation maybe its good that our elected officials stopped being so anxious to hire some law firm to settle every dispute that happens to come their way.

JMO

• Like 4

+1 (Ran out of likes)

I was at one of the candidate's election party last night.

Lots of "political" discussion about this, as you might suspect.

I was told that the "complainant" was was of the Jewish persuasion, not an atheist as had been rumored.

Maybe the city of Hiram could look into getting some Star of David stones (or whatever it is called) for next year's Memorial Day event.

The Star of David stone (?) like this one in Atlanta:

abmc16.jpg

Be it right, wrong or indifferent, when they go back up it will look like a welcome mat to the ACLU. Buckle up folks.

A..hole Communist Like Us. You want to talk about thin skinned whining wimps costing tax payers dollars. The ACLU is the leader of the frivolous lawsuit gang. They switch sides depending on which side the extortion victim ($) is on. They only exist to extort much like the NAACP, Rainbow Coalition, Black Lives Matter, Labor Unions, etc.

• Like 1